Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

No. If I am mistaken True Resurrection requires only some sort of intimate knowledge of the corpse in question.

So that True Necromancer chick that Xykon hired could Ressurect just about anything. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LightWarden posted:

So, the dragon is at least a 14th level caster. Ouch. And it's nice to see that V's mate and offspring are as androgynous as V is. I also like that they're running with the "20 years of diapers" thing.

And seriously dragon, you could acquire two scrolls of Soul Bind, but you couldn't spring for a True Resurrection?

True Resurrection has probably been house ruled out, otherwise we probably wouldn't have this situation.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Oh nooo! Run kids, run! :ohdear:

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
See, now this is the sign of a great comic. Rich has me absolutely HATING that dragon.
It all sort of made sense, from a grieving parent stand-point, but once the skinning of V's mate came up? Well, drat, I hate him a lot now.

So, yeah, my money's on a deal with either imp boy or one of imp-boys friends. Of course, I am being captain Obvious at this point.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

You missed a ranged touch attack on a dragon, V?

That's just . . . really, really sad.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Prediction: V will deliberate about 5 minutes too long, and the family will be horribly killed. Having pissed off the only cleric that V knows, she decides to take a page from the Dragon's book, and seeks out arcane power for all the wrong reasons: Primarily, revenge.

Then the 4 words, allying with the imp, etc, etc.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Pyre_89 posted:

See, now this is the sign of a great comic. Rich has me absolutely HATING that dragon.
It all sort of made sense, from a grieving parent stand-point, but once the skinning of V's mate came up? Well, drat, I hate him a lot now.

So, yeah, my money's on a deal with either imp boy or one of imp-boys friends. Of course, I am being captain Obvious at this point.

I think it's the soul-binding thing that's most effective. If you've read Start of Darkness Rich seems to have a big hard-on for torturing people by not letting their loved ones reach the afterlife.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The thing that really grated on me was the 'Parent' and 'Other Parent'. I feel like Burlew has done a really good job of making V's gender-ambiguity seem well-integrated into the narrative. It's obviously a recurring thing, but its fitted in really well. 'Other Parent' is just so awkward, it makes the whole 'I'm not going to tell you' really obvious.

Not that I can suggest a more natural way to do it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Affi posted:

True Resurrection has probably been house ruled out, otherwise we probably wouldn't have this situation.

Maybe there just aren't any divine spellcasters of a high-enough level in the game world? Or none who'd be willing to help out a black dragon?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashcans posted:

The thing that really grated on me was the 'Parent' and 'Other Parent'. I feel like Burlew has done a really good job of making V's gender-ambiguity seem well-integrated into the narrative. It's obviously a recurring thing, but its fitted in really well. 'Other Parent' is just so awkward, it makes the whole 'I'm not going to tell you' really obvious.

Yeah it was a bit annoying, but the badass, rear end in a top hat black dragon sort of makes up for it.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I am utterly convinced that V is male and Burlew is just making the dialogue sound awkward and inconclusive to annoy you guys.

Also I think the dialogue should get a pass on sounding unnatural because it is inside angle brackets, so it is clearly a direct translation from some obscure elvish dialect where it sounds perfectly natural.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vanadium posted:

I am utterly convinced that V is male and Burlew is just making the dialogue sound awkward and inconclusive to annoy you guys.

Also I think the dialogue should get a pass on sounding unnatural because it is inside angle brackets, so it is clearly a direct translation from some obscure elvish dialect where it sounds perfectly natural.

Speaking of elves, have we seen any other elves in the strip other than V&company?

I wonder all elves in the land of OOTS are androgynous.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Affi posted:

Soul Bind specifically states that True Resurrection, or even a wish or miracle doesn't work on it, you have to break the spell manually.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

His linear guild drow counterpart comes to mind, but I am pretty sure there were a bunch of others.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of elves, have we seen any other elves in the strip other than V&company?

I wonder all elves in the land of OOTS are androgynous.

There was Nale's companion who was absolutely not a knock-off of Drizzt, other than that I can't think of anyone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ashcans posted:

I suppose "Elder Parent" and "Younger Parent" might seem a more natural distinction, though I'm hard-pressed to think of why a language wouldn't distinguish between the titles of the two parents, given the presumed biological differences in their duties at least until the child is weaned.

Do we know if the children are biological, or adopted? Can we even say "V's mate is of the opposite sex"?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

maltesh posted:

Do we know if the children are biological, or adopted? Can we even say "V's mate is of the opposite sex"?

I'm actually voting adopted myself, unless there's some kind of ancient elven ritual where their offspring are born with dark skin and then end up going through some kind of bleaching ceremony on their hundredth birthday. Both V and his mate are white as gently caress, and those kids definitely aren't.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Vanadium posted:

I don't know, the mate seems like it might just be the fruity guy kind of elf with long green hair all wanting to be Orlando Bloom or whatever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well there you are then, both V and his/her mate could be of the same sex and the chillins' adopted. It'd be a funny swerve.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

seaborgium posted:

Soul Bind specifically states that True Resurrection, or even a wish or miracle doesn't work on it, you have to break the spell manually.

The reference was to the dragon's disintegrated child being True Resurrected, not V's soon-to-be-dragon-chow kids. Short of a house rule, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Perhaps the removal of the dragon's hoard left him without a material component for TR or enough gold with which to buy one.

Soul Binding the kids and vanishing with the gems, however, is just a pure dick move of Biblical proportions.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Amused Frog posted:

I think it's the soul-binding thing that's most effective. If you've read Start of Darkness Rich seems to have a big hard-on for torturing people by not letting their loved ones reach the afterlife.
Indeed, that's one of the more interesting aspects of the D&D universe. There really is a Heaven...but you might not get to go.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I don't know, the mate seems like it might just be the fruity guy kind of elf with long green hair all wanting to be Orlando Bloom or whatever.

Actually, it occurs to me - who's to say V's mate isn't a reasonably high-powered cleric or dragonfighter or some poo poo? I guess then V wouldn't have made such a big deal about it, but it might be something new to V that Other Parent learned while V was away.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

Correnth posted:

I'm actually voting adopted myself, unless there's some kind of ancient elven ritual where their offspring are born with dark skin and then end up going through some kind of bleaching ceremony on their hundredth birthday. Both V and his mate are white as gently caress, and those kids definitely aren't.

That was my initial reaction, too. I wouldn't be surprised if V and mate are eventually revealed as same sex, hence adoption, though which sex will of course be left up in the air.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CK07 posted:

Actually, it occurs to me - who's to say V's mate isn't a reasonably high-powered cleric or dragonfighter or some poo poo? I guess then V wouldn't have made such a big deal about it, but it might be something new to V that Other Parent learned while V was away.

V cuts a deal with the Imp in order to get help to save the kids, teleports there in time to see the mate giving the dragon a beatdown, and is stuck with the deal made to no gain. :v:

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
The more I think about it, the more I wonder . . . making a deal with the devil to save your children . . . while kind of crazy, I don't think that is "All the wrong Reasons." Damning yourself to eternal hellfire to save your children from a fate worse than death? Thats pretty drat noble in my books.

So, I don't think the deal will be made to save the kids, but something after. I really don't like to speculate, I just like to let the story unfold. That being said . . . I do like stories where good doesn't always triumph.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Affi posted:

True Resurrection most certainly exists, though it's not entirely clear who's high enough in level to cast it, so I guess that explains why junior dragon is gone.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

delfin posted:

The reference was to the dragon's disintegrated child being True Resurrected, not V's soon-to-be-dragon-chow kids. Short of a house rule, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. Perhaps the removal of the dragon's hoard left him without a material component for TR or enough gold with which to buy one.

Soul Binding the kids and vanishing with the gems, however, is just a pure dick move of Biblical proportions.

It is a dragon though, so I'm imagining it could pull up enough gold somewhere to get the kid back. And dragons live a long time, missing out on a few years with their kid probably isn't too much of a stretch. It's probably just a plot device.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

seaborgium posted:

It is a dragon though, so I'm imagining it could pull up enough gold somewhere to get the kid back. And dragons live a long time, missing out on a few years with their kid probably isn't too much of a stretch. It's probably just a plot device.

You could apply exactly the same logic to mid-level elven mage, so I think that's out. Dragons are equally as intelligent and emotionally able as humanoids, if not more so, even if they're chromatic and therefore evil.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CK07 posted:

You could apply exactly the same logic to mid-level elven mage, so I think that's out. Dragons are equally as intelligent and emotionally able as humanoids, if not more so, even if they're chromatic and therefore evil.

Not really. Elves live centuries, but dragons live millennia. A few years would be as much of an elf's life as a few months to a human, which might be rough, but it'd be as much to a dragon as a couple of days to a human, worrisome but not much of a concern.

Mylan 2
Jan 16, 2009

Losing passwords since '08

DoctorTristan posted:

There was Nale's companion who was absolutely not a knock-off of Drizzt, other than that I can't think of anyone.

Liiran, the druid who was a member of the old party that created the gates, was an elf, and an obvious female. And the Drizzt knockoff was referred to by his party AND V as male, so definately a guy. The gender joke with V isn't something Berlew thought up on his own, he admits that he only ran with it after he noticed fans on his message board arguing over it.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Pyre_89 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder . . . making a deal with the devil to save your children . . . while kind of crazy, I don't think that is "All the wrong Reasons." Damning yourself to eternal hellfire to save your children from a fate worse than death? Thats pretty drat noble in my books.

It's not noble in the D&D universe, though. If you go to Hell (or any of its neighbouring planes) as your afterlife it doesn't just mean that you suffer for eternity, it means that your tortured soul is literally crafted into a new creature expressly devoted to causing pain and misery in others.

Theoretically V could sell his/her soul, die, then a few millenia later become an arch-devil responsible for vastly more imaginative carnage than anything the dragon could have cooked up.

Or if you're soul isn't quite so successful at the whole demon thing you'll just end up as a spell component for another more powerful fiend, with said spell likely heralding something horribly unpleasant for another innocent.

There's really no way to claim a moral victory when you deal with the devil.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Tag Plastic posted:

That was my initial reaction, too. I wouldn't be surprised if V and mate are eventually revealed as same sex, hence adoption, though which sex will of course be left up in the air.

That would definitely make the "Parent/Other Parent" translation more fitting. Particularly so if V's mate is the biological parent of the children, and V's their step-parent. (Though I probably would actually have translated "step-parent" in that case)

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
In a lot of fantasy fiction Elven society is portrayed as having no patriarchy whatsoever, in fact I'm pretty sure that's what the elf flavor text in the Player's Handbook says. At any level of society you're just as likely to find a female filling a particular role as a male. Considering how little regard Elves have for gender, it shouldn't be a surprise that the elven language has no seperate words for parent based on the gender of that parent. Hell, there probably aren't any pronouns like he/she/him/her/etc.

Also, V's pretty hosed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

In a lot of fantasy fiction Elven society is portrayed as having no patriarchy whatsoever, in fact I'm pretty sure that's what the elf flavor text in the Player's Handbook says. At any level of society you're just as likely to find a female filling a particular role as a male. Considering how little regard Elves have for gender, it shouldn't be a surprise that the elven language has no seperate words for parent based on the gender of that parent. Hell, there probably aren't any pronouns like he/she/him/her/etc.

Also, V's pretty hosed.
Lack of gender in third-person pronouns is fine. Plenty of Earth languages are like that. However, the problem comes when you want to refer to a specific individual. How do you determine who's "Other Parent?"

The one who's closest? Elven kid wakes up in the middle of the light, yells "PARENT!" One of the parents climbs out of bed, and goes to the room. "No, I meant 'Other Parent.'" Many such mixups will ensue. Maybe not within the family, but certainly when talking with people outside the family.

The one who didn't give birth to the children? Unacceptable if you wish to maintain the mystery of gender.

If the parents are considered to be of equal status in the relationship, then you might as well just use their names, with a parental modifier, should one be required.

It just seems to me, from the single bit of dialogue that we have where the terms "Parent" and "Other Parent" are used, that the use of the latter points to a relationship that is more removed. in a manner other than physically, than that of "Parent," for the sake of conversational consistency.

I'm probably overthinking this far too much, though.

And yeah, I agree. V's hosed. And it seems likely to lead to more Split-Party Adventures.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

maltesh posted:

Lack of gender in third-person pronouns is fine. Plenty of Earth languages are like that. However, the problem comes when you want to refer to a specific individual. How do you determine who's "Other Parent?"

It could be simple enough that 'Other Parent' isn't actually a proper noun, but just an adjective and a noun-- literally, other parent. 'Parent', or the elven equivalent word, could simply be a gender-neutral way to respectfully directly address the person, and outside of such a situation where it's appropriate or practical, they just go with a name or something like 'Parent (Name)'.

I'm pulling this all out of my rear end, but it's hardly improbable.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

maltesh posted:

The one who's closest? Elven kid wakes up in the middle of the light, yells "PARENT!" One of the parents climbs out of bed, and goes to the room. "No, I meant 'Other Parent.'" Many such mixups will ensue. Maybe not within the family, but certainly when talking with people outside the family.

Sure, but if there's ambiguity involved, you refer to them by name.

I know in some (incoming helldump thread in 5, 4) polyamorous relationships I've been in, it's not completely ridiculous to refer to whoever you're hanging out with right then as "girl", and your other partner as "other girl". (Obviously swapping genders as necessary.)

The only reason "parent" feels weird for me is because "parent" is two syllables, while "mom" or "dad" is one. If you had, say, two moms, "mom" and "other mom" would seem totally reasonable, and if elves are really that gender-neutral, I imagine they have a one-syllable word for "parent".

In fact, "mom" and "dad" might very well be two-syllable words, or even something along the lines of "male parent" and "female parent".

Essentially, if it's translated from another language, which it is, I find all that to be entirely plausible.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This argument on possible translation limitations of elven to english is like, brain poison or something.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

What sex is V is just as annoying as the alignment argument, in that no-one ever agrees on anything and it has little or no baring on the story.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The dragon ignoring True Resurrection is really annoying me. It would totally be within the realm of possibility for a black dragon to res it's child then seek ferocious revenge anyway. Unless V develops superpowers in the next 2 panels it looks like his family is super boned.

Jeet posted:

What sex is V is just as annoying as the alignment argument, in that no-one ever agrees on anything and it has little or no baring on the story.

mango sentinel posted:

At least it's staving off the imminent reoccurence of THE GENDER ARGUMENT.
Well it lasted a few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

The dragon ignoring True Resurrection is really annoying me. It would totally be within the realm of possibility for a black dragon to res it's child then seek ferocious revenge anyway.

Haley mentioned a while back during the Roy plot that she wasn't even sure if this world had any 17th level clerics. It could be that there in fact aren't any in this world, and so True Res isn't an option.