Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there some difference between the linux/unix traceroute and the Microsoft one? For some reason my apartment's internet connection seems to run through the local university which makes it impossible to use tracert for anything on Windows (it blocks it or something), but it works fine on my linux system. Just thought that was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Harokey posted:

Anyone know of a decent, cheap flatbed scanner for Linux? I mostly want it for scanning in technical drawings/notes from class. OCR stuff would be nice too if for scanning in handouts and whatnot.

My Canoscan LiDE scanner was cheap, had a single USB cable for power and pretty thin.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some difference between the linux/unix traceroute and the Microsoft one? For some reason my apartment's internet connection seems to run through the local university which makes it impossible to use tracert for anything on Windows (it blocks it or something), but it works fine on my linux system. Just thought that was weird.

I'm going to guess that Windows traceroute uses ICMP pings for tracing, whereas your linux traceroute is using UDP packets for tracing. Somewhere along the line your ISP is dropping pings, but they can't reasonably drop UDP packets. Try the -I switch on the linux traceroute, it should then exhibit the same behavior as the Windows version.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Peanutmonger posted:

I'm going to guess that Windows traceroute uses ICMP pings for tracing, whereas your linux traceroute is using UDP packets for tracing. Somewhere along the line your ISP is dropping pings, but they can't reasonably drop UDP packets. Try the -I switch on the linux traceroute, it should then exhibit the same behavior as the Windows version.

alternatively, make sure your router is allowing tracert/icmp to go through, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to work when I got a new connection until I was playing in the router settings one day.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Zom Aur posted:

If it's mostly going to be commandline, I'd recommend Arch or Debian as usual. They should suit your needs without any real bloat.

Or Ubuntu's server edition (different download/ISO image than the "normal" or desktop one) which is basically Debian with Ubuntu's package repositories. I.e. no X11 by default; significantly reduced basic install footprint; etc.

Arch and Debian are always good alternatives, of course, I've used both in the past. Arch especially is good if you need to build your own packages (Debian's system is more flexible/mature but also necessarily more complicated).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm looking for a way to make the following "script" more elegant:

quote:

echo -e "From: calendar@studio\nTo: user@blabla.com\nSubject: Calendar Preview" > email.txt; calendar -A 32 >> email.txt; cat email.txt | msmtp -t

... and by elegant I mean making it work without having to create that email.txt-file. There's gotta be a way to pipe all this to msmtp at once, I just don't know how.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

bitprophet posted:

Or Ubuntu's server edition (different download/ISO image than the "normal" or desktop one) which is basically Debian with Ubuntu's package repositories. I.e. no X11 by default; significantly reduced basic install footprint; etc.
Last time I checked, the ubuntu repos were somewhere between debian stable and debian unstable in releases. I really saw no reason to use them, especially since the debian install is more lean than the ubuntu server ed.

However, if the shoe fits...

bitprophet posted:

Arch and Debian are always good alternatives, of course, I've used both in the past. Arch especially is good if you need to build your own packages (Debian's system is more flexible/mature but also necessarily more complicated).
I'm more biased to arch to be honest, just for the sane package dependencies. Things like dnsmasq depending on libx11 in debian was a bit annoying.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

MargotK posted:

I'm looking for a way to make the following "script" more elegant:

... and by elegant I mean making it work without having to create that email.txt-file. There's gotta be a way to pipe all this to msmtp at once, I just don't know how.

code:
echo -e "...Preview" $(calendar -A 32) | msmtp -t

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

covener posted:

code:
echo -e "...Preview" $(calendar -A 32) | msmtp -t

awesome, just what I was hoping for!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there any good GPS software for linux?
I'm using a Garmin GPSMap 60CS. I'm using it when going biking/hiking, and I'd like to download the waypoints to track where I've been etc. I can get the current location etc from xgps, and I can download waypoints via gpsbabel. On the Ubuntu forums, the discussion quickly went down the path of using WINE and MapSource. I'd rather stick with native if I can :cool:. If not I think I'll find a website.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is Windows Firewall on?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have installed apache2 and php5 on a fresh debian server. A script I have runs fine until it gets to a point where it uses fopen() on an external url. The page outputs absolutely nothing. No error or anything. allow_url_fopen is on, so that isn't it.

Is there something maybe that I have to adjust in my iptables so it can make an outgoing request like this?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

deong posted:

Is there any good GPS software for linux?
I'm using a Garmin GPSMap 60CS. I'm using it when going biking/hiking, and I'd like to download the waypoints to track where I've been etc. I can get the current location etc from xgps, and I can download waypoints via gpsbabel. On the Ubuntu forums, the discussion quickly went down the path of using WINE and MapSource. I'd rather stick with native if I can :cool:. If not I think I'll find a website.
Viking (in the repos) can show you imported tracks as well as some stats but it's not really designed for rides so I mostly end up on GPSies.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have installed apache2 and php5 on a fresh debian server. A script I have runs fine until it gets to a point where it uses fopen() on an external url. The page outputs absolutely nothing. No error or anything. allow_url_fopen is on, so that isn't it.

Is there something maybe that I have to adjust in my iptables so it can make an outgoing request like this?

That would be unusual.

try prepending this to your script for a better hint:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

jegHegy posted:

Viking (in the repos) can show you imported tracks as well as some stats but it's not really designed for rides so I mostly end up on GPSies.

Cool thanks.
After trying to download the info off the Garmin, it turns out with gpsbable I only got the waypoint marks. Do you know off hand how to grab the saved tracks? I don't have the gps w/ me at the moment to mess around with it, but I imagine it won't be too hard.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

deong posted:

Cool thanks.
After trying to download the info off the Garmin, it turns out with gpsbable I only got the waypoint marks. Do you know off hand how to grab the saved tracks? I don't have the gps w/ me at the moment to mess around with it, but I imagine it won't be too hard.
No idea about Garmin devices, sorry. Do they run Windows Mobile? If so, there are several free GPS loggers available, browse around on http://freewarepocketpc.net.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

jegHegy posted:

No idea about Garmin devices, sorry. Do they run Windows Mobile? If so, there are several free GPS loggers available, browse around on http://freewarepocketpc.net.

It seems to run Garmins' own OS from what I can tell. It does have a gps tracker, I just need to figure out how to download the data. It lets you save both waypoints, and your logged tracks. I can d/l the waypoints, but the aren't very useful heh.
I'll see if there's anything obvious in the man. Thanks for looking though.

edit: it looks like it may be as easy as changing the switch options from between -w, -r, -t. I'll mess with it when I get home for sure.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
At work I am using Samba as a PDC for windows workstations... the thing that is annoying is that it synchronizes a bunch of poo poo when you log in and log off, one of them being the windows Desktop. This is annoying because people always download big files to there, so when they log off, it takes forever to copy that poo poo to where their roaming profile is.

So my question is, how can I tell Samba to skip synchronizing just Desktop (~/.profileNT/Desktop)?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Eyecannon posted:

At work I am using Samba as a PDC for windows workstations... the thing that is annoying is that it synchronizes a bunch of poo poo when you log in and log off, one of them being the windows Desktop. This is annoying because people always download big files to there, so when they log off, it takes forever to copy that poo poo to where their roaming profile is.

So my question is, how can I tell Samba to skip synchronizing just Desktop (~/.profileNT/Desktop)?

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles#Folders_within_a_Profile

Apparently in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a question on SCP.

I'm using Terminal under OSX. If I SSH into a server, how do I copy a file from the server, to me?

I can't understand which direction the files go, when you put in the user and the location.

So if I'm SSH'd as bob@10.10.10.10 and I navigate into a directory, and I want to copy file.ext to my personal computers desktop, how exactly would the syntax of that command work?

scp user@host:directory/SourceFile TargetFile is what wiki tells me, but if I'm already SSH'd and in a directory looking at the file, do I omit anything? And to doublecheck, how do I be certain I'm putting it in MY desktop, not the desktop of the remote server?

Does the same command apply if I wanted to copy an entire directory?

edit: It's been a long time since I had to use the terminal. What's the command to show the entire path of where I'm currently in? So if I cd balls deep into folders, I can check my entire path?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kai was taken posted:

edit: It's been a long time since I had to use the terminal. What's the command to show the entire path of where I'm currently in? So if I cd balls deep into folders, I can check my entire path?

Use "pwd" for "present working directory"

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Kai was taken posted:

So if I'm SSH'd as bob@10.10.10.10 and I navigate into a directory, and I want to copy file.ext to my personal computers desktop, how exactly would the syntax of that command work?

Open another terminal and issue (from your local computer):
code:
scp bob@10.10.10.10:/pathtofile/file /path/to/local/target
Does the same command apply if I wanted to copy an entire directory?
code:
scp -r bob@10.10.10.10:/path/to/remote/directory /path/to/local/target
You could use this command to go the other direction (call scp on remote):
code:
 scp -r /path/to/remote/directory bob@99.99.99.99:/path/to/mac/target
(This last assumes that either the computer you are SSH'ing into is on your local network, or your personal computer has a public IP address that will be accessible from the remote computer)

Edit: nvm

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 7, 2009

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I'll ask this one more time before I give up:

I had a server hard reboot during an sfill (yeah, I know, that'll teach me for playing around on a server I actually needed) and now the boot drive on my server thinks it is full. Any ideas?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

mcsuede posted:

I'll ask this one more time before I give up:

I had a server hard reboot during an sfill (yeah, I know, that'll teach me for playing around on a server I actually needed) and now the boot drive on my server thinks it is full. Any ideas?

I would boot to a livecd and run a full fsck on all the partitions. If that doesn't solve it you gotta find out where sfill put whatever it put there to fill up the disk. (using du to see where space is used up maybe)

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

JHVH-1 posted:

I would boot to a livecd and run a full fsck on all the partitions. If that doesn't solve it you gotta find out where sfill put whatever it put there to fill up the disk. (using du to see where space is used up maybe)
FSCK was ran a couple days ago, no good, but this is du -h from the root directory:

Something is obviously taking up 28G--what's my next move? Been a long time since I messed with linux on a regular basis.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

falz posted:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles#Folders_within_a_Profile

Apparently in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

Thanks, but I don't see how that really helps me.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Figured it out, it's in the root trash, which is why I kept seeing it when doing du but not finding it in any user trash. As you can't login to root in Ubuntu and you can't transverse to the directory from the terminal unless you're logged in as root (talk about frustrating!) I had to do "gksudo nautilus /root/.local/share/Trash" in order to get to them. Once I figured that out, I added a delete instead of a "move to trash" option to the nautilus right click menu.

Wow, that was annoying. Solved finally, but annoying. Thanks for the tip on du.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 7, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

covener posted:

That would be unusual.

try prepending this to your script for a better hint:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

Both those options are already set. This is a 'code igniter' powered site.

Interestingly, if I tail -f /var/log/apache2/error.log I see this every time I try to access one of these pages:

[Sat Feb 07 02:46:02 2009] [notice] child pid 7685 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

Note this is not every page or even every code igniter page, just a specific page that uses fopen() to scrape an external site. That is the only unique thing I can think of that this page does.

edit: Really weird problem here that I think I am near solving (or having some one solve for me :p). I found this on the code igniter forums, referring to blank pages loading on an IIS server. A responder has the original user try inputing a url that doesn't need to be rewritten by mod_rewrite/.htaccess. It worked for that user and it works for me!

If I change my rewritten url from site.com/controller/function to site.com/index.php?/controller/function it works!

Here is my .htaccess file:
code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]
</IfModule>
Is there something wrong with this? It worked fine on two other servers. Is this a problem with a setting in apache or what?

Weird wild stuff.

other people fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 7, 2009

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I want to use smoothwall, or another variant of linux to turn a spare system into a network gateway. Effectively, it needs to

Take a connection to a DSL line and log on to it - and maintain that connection.

Have 1 ethernet port dedicated to a "Public" network, that requires a login to access the network

Have 1 ethernet port dedicated to a "Private" network, that doesn't need a password.

I assume I can just learn how to SSH in, among other things. Thanks for the time, guys.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Is there a program similar to Juice (in windows) for command line linux? I'm setting up a home server using clarkconnect 4.3 and wanted to be able to download my podcasts automatically using rss, but couldn't find anything that works with just command line.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PopeOnARope posted:

I want to use smoothwall, or another variant of linux to turn a spare system into a network gateway. Effectively, it needs to

Take a connection to a DSL line and log on to it - and maintain that connection.

Have 1 ethernet port dedicated to a "Public" network, that requires a login to access the network

Have 1 ethernet port dedicated to a "Private" network, that doesn't need a password.

I assume I can just learn how to SSH in, among other things. Thanks for the time, guys.

I really like IPCop. I've been using it as my router/gateway for quite a while. It's got a fairly strong 'ad-on' community. At one point, it was a fork of smoothwall but I think its ton's apart. You can have Eth0 ports are set up as zones with different routing/firewall rulings. I'm not so sure about setting up a passworded zone, but my guess is that it has the function. I know its got the ability to be a VPN client. You didn't mention, but it has WiFi eth0 support built-in with predefined rules. All that and it logs traffic with graphs! That and the last update was 2008/07/24, so the project has not halted.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

deong posted:

I really like IPCop. I've been using it as my router/gateway for quite a while. It's got a fairly strong 'ad-on' community. At one point, it was a fork of smoothwall but I think its ton's apart. You can have Eth0 ports are set up as zones with different routing/firewall rulings. I'm not so sure about setting up a passworded zone, but my guess is that it has the function. I know its got the ability to be a VPN client. You didn't mention, but it has WiFi eth0 support built-in with predefined rules. All that and it logs traffic with graphs! That and the last update was 2008/07/24, so the project has not halted.

This could be incredibly helpful. Alas, when it comes to linux I'm an idiot though. Can anyone give a guide to setting up a passworded entry point, if there is one?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

mcsuede posted:

As you can't login to root in Ubuntu and you can't transverse to the directory from the terminal unless you're logged in as root (talk about frustrating!) I had to do "gksudo nautilus /root/.local/share/Trash" in order to get to them.
Next time, try sudo -i.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

[Sat Feb 07 02:46:02 2009] [notice] child pid 7685 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

If I change my rewritten url from site.com/controller/function to site.com/index.php?/controller/function it works!

Here is my .htaccess file:
code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]
</IfModule>
Is there something wrong with this? It worked fine on two other servers. Is this a problem with a setting in apache or what?

The htaccess doesn't look like it implements what you wrote. However if it works on one server and not the other, check AllowOverride.

Re: your crashes, are you using mod_php + the worker MPM? You could set a non-zero ulimit -c, add the CoreDumpDirectory directive, and get a backtrace with the info at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html but I'm not sure the backtrace would get you anywhere since you already know it's in some PHP app.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

jegHegy posted:

Next time, try sudo -i.

Nice tip, thanks.

colonoscopy
Jan 29, 2004
ignore this

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Eyecannon posted:

Thanks, but I don't see how that really helps me.
Your folders sync because you're using Roaming Profiles. The registry key previously mentioned apparently lets you tell it which locations to or not to sync. It sounds like you should just remove Desktop from the list.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

falz posted:

Your folders sync because you're using Roaming Profiles. The registry key previously mentioned apparently lets you tell it which locations to or not to sync. It sounds like you should just remove Desktop from the list.

But do I have to do this on every workstation? I'd like to do it on the server, if possible.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

Dobermaniac posted:

Is there a program similar to Juice (in windows) for command line linux? I'm setting up a home server using clarkconnect 4.3 and wanted to be able to download my podcasts automatically using rss, but couldn't find anything that works with just command line.

I'm using castget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
What's the best way to rip CDs in ubuntu? EAC is awesome and after a little looking it seems like there might not be anything quite as perfect on linux? I found a guide to set up EAC in WINE if needed.

Ideally I'd just like to write a script so that I can pop a CD in, it will get FreeDB info, rip to V0 and FLAC and then tag them.