Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

the wizards beard posted:

Got a decent picture, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

Yeah, that's a bass you should purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Just organised it. Should be a fun first bass.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I didn't need anything new but I couldn't resist this when I saw this Ross Distortion pedal last night going for cheap on Ebay.

Plus, the Ross Distortion + Electric Amp head combination works well for YOB and Middian (SAME GUITAR PLAYER) so it should work for me.. I hope.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 10, 2009

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
So I didn't know where exactly should I ask this, so I thought I'd do it here. I'd like to use my Etymotic ER-4Ps for live monitoring, so I would need a wireless system for that. I'd output from my PodXTLive to a mixer and to that. I'd also like to use this as a wireless system for listening inside my house. Range-wise, I'd imagine some 30ft would be just about enough, and I wouldn't like to spend more than $150 in that.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Catastrophe posted:

Plus, the Ross Distortion + Electric Amp head combination works well for YOB and Middian so it should work for me.. I hope.

thats the SAME GUY quit doing that

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

thats the SAME GUY quit doing that

Buuuuuut it's something used over multiple albums released under two band names so I don't want to leave one of the two out. I could just say Mike Scheidt but no one knows who that is.

EDIT: Fixed the original post so no one else gets OCD about it ;)

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 10, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

Buuuuuut it's something used over multiple albums released under two band names so I don't want to leave one of the two out. I could just say Mike Scheidt but no one knows who that is.
I didn't know who the other two guys were, either :haw:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

scuz posted:

I didn't know who the other two guys were, either :haw:

Listen and learn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DKz3nRqkU

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Catastrophe posted:

I didn't need anything new but I couldn't resist this when I saw this Ross Distortion pedal last night going for cheap on Ebay.

I gave a Ross Chorus pedal to a buddy. All original and still working like a champ even though it's seen lots of use. I got it for free and used it, like, twice, but he is in love with it.

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law
Second VHT in 3 pages. It'll go well with my Genz Benz El Diablo. I ordered a second earcandy 2x12 now and I'm going to get a Switchbone ABY switch so I can run both amps at once. It's probably overkill but it'll all sound monstrous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mountain Dew fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 10, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That is a wicked Fryette, man. I love the foreboding look of Fryette amps.

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law

Agreed posted:

I figured they would cost more once they became Fryette, so I bought it now. VHT is a cooler name anyhow. It doesn't remind me of a kitchen appliance or something.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Picked one of these up for $50 on Craigslist. Poor guy didnt realize what he had.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Got this last week. Best $350 (w/ case) bucks I have ever spent

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

I had no idea about the name change. What the gently caress were they thinking? VHT is synonymous with loud, vicious amps and they convert the whole line to low watt hand wired stuff and turn the old line into Fryette? Who's the loving genius behind that one? I mean wouldn't it have made sense to leave VHT as is and make Fryette the new boutique line? Am I crazy here?

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law

Gramps posted:

I had no idea about the name change. What the gently caress were they thinking? VHT is synonymous with loud, vicious amps and they convert the whole line to low watt hand wired stuff and turn the old line into Fryette? Who's the loving genius behind that one? I mean wouldn't it have made sense to leave VHT as is and make Fryette the new boutique line? Am I crazy here?

Well now the VHT name is owned by AXL guitars. I'm confused though, because AXL is cheap poo poo, not "USA designed and assembled boutique tube amplifiers" like the VHT website says now.

Fryette is really just a new name for the old VHT. It is what VHT always was.

Edit: Someone on another forum said the following, and it makes some sense.

"He's cashing out of VHT by selling the rights to the name, but retaining the patents and intellectual rights to all his amp designs. My guess is that he is raising capital to survive the current economic playing field. Just a guess."

Mountain Dew fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 10, 2009

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Catastrophe posted:

I could just say Mike Scheidt but no one knows who that is.
Mike's a dear friend of mine. Known him for going on 6 years.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mountain Dew posted:

Well now the VHT name is owned by AXL guitars. I'm confused though, because AXL is cheap poo poo, not "USA designed and assembled boutique tube amplifiers" like the VHT website says now.

Fryette is really just a new name for the old VHT. It is what VHT always was.

Edit: Someone on another forum said the following, and it makes some sense.

"He's cashing out of VHT by selling the rights to the name, but retaining the patents and intellectual rights to all his amp designs. My guess is that he is raising capital to survive the current economic playing field. Just a guess."

It's not that he's "cashing out" of VHT - he arranged a loan with Axl and used VHT-the-brand as collateral. He couldn't pay it back, so now Axl gets to sell their amp designs under the brand VHT, and he has to call his something else. In order to reduce the pain of it, he decided to go with his own name, which will probably last until he needs to get another loan and offers GMC "Fryette." Then you'll be seeing GMC's new line of car-amps, the Fryette series, and the amps that used to be VHT will be called "Why do I keep using my company's brand name as collateral?"

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Susano-maku da! posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150325716564

It's too sexy

I want it :(

I'm almost willing to ditch my Telecaster for it.

But goddamn is that expensive.

drat that's a sick looking Jazzmaster. In other gently caress I wish I could afford that, someone tossed a 67 Jag up on craigslist here recently. It was over 3 grand :(

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Daughter posted:

Picked one of these up for $50 on Craigslist. Poor guy didnt realize what he had.

Lucky! My craigslist never gets anytrhing cool, just people trying to pawn off Wal-Mart Casios for $200 a piece.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
no doubt. the only person selling poo poo for good deals is me :(

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Scarf posted:

Paging Handen to the thread

i just sold my black jaguar a few months ago... don't remind me... :sad:

Also, the only Jazzmaster I like that I've played is the Elvis Costello JM they had at L&M in Vancouver at the end of October last year. That was bad-rear end.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

Also, the only Jazzmaster I like that I've played is the Elvis Costello JM they had at L&M in Vancouver at the end of October last year. That was bad-rear end.
What was different about it that set it apart from other JMs?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

scuz posted:

I can't describe it. Maybe it's all in my head. I've played the MIA JM they've got at Noteables in town here, and it doesn't really do anything for me. But I played the Elvis JM and it blew me away.

I don't know. :ohdear:

Edit: Hell yeah I do. VVV

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Handen posted:

Do you still have that dark blue one w/ the blackpearl guard?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

scuz posted:

It has a sexy, sexy finish. Other than that I think it's mostly the same as AVRIs, which are great guitars.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

I think some of my tax refund is going towards this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4

Just pulled the trigger on this. Should be here Friday. I was thinking about where to put it in the chain, but I think I may put it in the effects loop so it'll basically serve as my pre and bypass my b2r for everything but power.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Just pulled the trigger on this. Should be here Friday. I was thinking about where to put it in the chain, but I think I may put it in the effects loop so it'll basically serve as my pre and bypass my b2r for everything but power.
I didn't check out that youtube until just now, and thought that the VT pedal was all hype, but I can clearly hear that it is pretty fuckin awesome.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scarf posted:

You know the drill, and it's easier with that than with amps, clips clips clips!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 10, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

You know the drill, and it's easier with that than with amps, clips clips clips!

You've seen my recording setup... correct? :)

And while we're on the topic, perhaps you can help me. Would I be better suited putting this thing in my effects loop and leaving my chain untouched, or put my chain in the effects loop and this thing in my chain? Or just put it in the chain with everything else? And if so, where?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scarf posted:

You've seen my recording setup... correct? :)

And while we're on the topic, perhaps you can help me. Would I be better suited putting this thing in my effects loop and leaving my chain untouched, or put my chain in the effects loop and this thing in my chain? Or just put it in the chain with everything else? And if so, where?

If you're going to put it in your chain, put it last in your chain. It's an analog amp modeler, pretend it's the real thing and run your effects into it if you're going to run it in the chain. However, if your effects loop is a series effects loop, I like the idea of running it in the FX loop because that means you can avoid the preamp voicing of your amplifier and just take advantage of its power section to amplify the voicing of the pedal. You're getting it for variety I assume, right? So you're going to want to have its voicing on full display, as much as possible at any rate. But the trick is just to go with what sounds good at the end of the day, so don't worry about what you ought to do if ought to doesn't sound right.

I'm getting a pretty cool pedal in soon, too:

Protone Jason Becker Distortion. It's an analog amp modeler as well, though it doesn't have a cabinet sim component.

Plus, Jason Becker was awesome and his story is poignant as can be. Going to review this as soon as possible for FG, even though it's more expensive than pedals we would usually like to review Will and I are both fans of Becker and some of the proceeds go to his family and the charities they work with.

To clarify, I am buying this pedal outright because I love the clips I've heard of it, I am excited about the design of the pedal's circuit, and I am a fan of Becker and want to contribute what I can there. I say this to preempt snark from any wizzards around talking about how I'm getting fleeced by effects manufacturers :smug:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

If you're going to put it in your chain, put it last in your chain. It's an analog amp modeler, pretend it's the real thing and run your effects into it if you're going to run it in the chain. However, if your effects loop is a series effects loop, I like the idea of running it in the FX loop because that means you can avoid the preamp voicing of your amplifier and just take advantage of its power section to amplify the voicing of the pedal. You're getting it for variety I assume, right? So you're going to want to have its voicing on full display, as much as possible at any rate. But the trick is just to go with what sounds good at the end of the day, so don't worry about what you ought to do if ought to doesn't sound right.

Well actually I'm getting it because I can't afford a real SVT (one day, though...) :(

Here's what the manual to my B2R says about the effects loop:

EFFECTS RETURN: To use an external
effects device, connect the OUTPUT of
the device to this jack by means of a shielded
cable. This feeds the processed signal
into the Master section of the B2/B2R.

EFFECTS SEND: Connect the output
from this jack to the INPUT of your effects
by means of a shielded cable. This sends a
post-EQ signal to your effects.

Sooooo it doesn't sound like it'll bypass my preamp since it talks about sending post-EQ.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

Agreed posted:

I'm getting a pretty cool pedal in soon, too:

Protone Jason Becker Distortion. It's an analog amp modeler as well, though it doesn't have a cabinet sim component.

This looks and sounds awesome. I checked out the demos on the link and I really like how it lets the clean tone breathe through the higher-gain settings. I'm extremely impressed: let us know how it works for you!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Pretty sure the EQ in that amp is after the preamp, so that configuration sounds like it's just right. Preamp->EQ->Effects Loop->Power Amp. Should work like a champ :q:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

Pretty sure the EQ in that amp is after the preamp, so that configuration sounds like it's just right. Preamp->EQ->Effects Loop->Power Amp. Should work like a champ :q:

Hm, alright. I'll try it a few ways and see. Now if only I could find a Mini Q-tron or figure out if the Micro uses the same circuitry.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

Ok I think I get what you're saying here. Because it's POST eq, my B2R's pre has already added it's coloring or whatever to the input of the VT Bass. Therefore it won't color the output of the pedal.

Right?

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Scarf posted:

Ok I think I get what you're saying here. Because it's POST eq, my B2R's pre has already added it's coloring or whatever to the input of the VT Bass. Therefore it won't color the output of the pedal.

Right?

No, I think he's just saying to plug your chain (with the VT at the end) directly into the return of the effects loop, that way you are completely bypassing the tone stack and running the VT as your preamp, with your other effects running into it instead of the front of the amp.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yup, plug your bass into the VT and plug the output into the FX return, you'll just be using the power amp of the Ampeg.

Leecifer
May 29, 2001
I posted this in the modeling thread, and then I realized, "I just bought new gear!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I've been shopping around for an interface. I also wanted some mics, but I don't know much about them and don't have much (any) $$ to spend. I came across a couple deals that looked intriguing:

Guitar Center has the Lexicon Omega for $199 with a free AKG D5 Microphone by mail in rebate. Free $100 condenser mic? Hmmm.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon...601-i1126257.gc

They also have a Tascam US-144 bundled with an MXL 990/991 Recording Mic Package, also $199.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...736-i1371302.gc
"Free" set of condenser mics with a nifty case? Hmmm.

Then Agreed posted that NI was giving you the full version of GR3 with a Session interface purchase. Musician's Friend is even throwing in a free guitar on top of that!!!
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...full?sku=703278
Okay, so it's not a "real" guitar. But still, a Dean Vendetta XM must at least be worth getting for free. Right?

So, with the full version of GR3 and a free guitar to play around with, I decided to go with the Session interface. The Omega looked pretty neat, and had some cool features (can be used as a stand alone mixer, 4(I think)simultaneous channels of recording, etc.) and the Tascam is really sleek and portable, but the specs on the Session (not to mention the multitude of freebies) were quite impressive.

The two downsides are:

1. The session is on back order until Feb. 17
2. I have to tell my wife at some point.

Hope this helps somebody!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Captain Organ posted:

No, I think he's just saying to plug your chain (with the VT at the end) directly into the return of the effects loop, that way you are completely bypassing the tone stack and running the VT as your preamp, with your other effects running into it instead of the front of the amp.

Yes, sorry that I didn't put it as clearly.