Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Idran posted:

Haley mentioned a while back during the Roy plot that she wasn't even sure if this world had any 17th level clerics. It could be that there in fact aren't any in this world, and so True Res isn't an option.

Redcloak has got to be level 17, at least. Really, the bigger issue is why would any 17th level cleric help a black dragon, good or evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, this would be the strip you guys are talking about.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I don't think Rich is actually going to go through with having the dragon slowly and painfully chew V's children into little bits. In some comics that might be a fine way to establish drama in the story, but in a (usually) gag-a-day strip like OotS that is really going way too loving far. People said Start of Darkness was nasty, but it really doesn't compare to this.

Also, the dragon definitely does not have the moral high ground here. The dragon in the cave, although a "child" by dragon standards, was pretty drat huge and very nearly killed the party, whether or not they had any 'right' to be there. He was seconds from attacking the party when V killed him, and if V hadn't disintegrated him they would all be dead, probably. The 'mamma dragon' is planning to kill three noncombatants in the most cruel way possible. Killing V her/himself as revenge would be one thing. Any sympathy the dragon garnered with her speech last strip she threw out the window in this one.

On a lighter note, I've considered V to be female for a while now, as it's been revealed that V always rooms with Haley when the party sleeps at an Inn. Also, in the current comic where V's mate is pictured, you can see just a little behind the apron that "his" lower body shape is square, which Rich has firmly established means "male" wheras a rounded lower body means "female". V, on the other hand, has never been seen without robes on, so we haven't seen her/his lower body shape.

As far as when, if ever, the 'truth' will be revealed, I think an ironic way to do it would be to have V drunk, poisoned or otherwise confused and incapacitated, suddenly start making out with Belkar.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

Liberal_L33t posted:

As far as when, if ever, the 'truth' will be revealed, I think an ironic way to do it would be to have V drunk, poisoned or otherwise confused and incapacitated, suddenly start making out with Belkar.

For V to be that drunk, gender preference probably wouldn't be a concern.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

terminal mehmet posted:

Redcloak has got to be level 17, at least. Really, the bigger issue is why would any 17th level cleric help a black dragon, good or evil?

Why? A large mountain of gold? The deaths of all your enemies? Being owed a favor by an ancient black dragon with a special affinity for magic? (collecting on that favor might be troublesome)

I'm sure if there are any 17th level priests of Loki around, they'd likely be more than willing resurrect a black dragon for the right price. Redcloak would probably even do it if he thought he could get something useful out of it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hmm, he specifically mentions Redcloak as 17th level. Foreshadowing? Hmm...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Liberal_L33t posted:

:words:

V could be gay. Those kids could be adopted (and sure seem to be). Just because V's partner is a man and V shares a room with haley doesn't mean V is a woman.

Superstring posted:

Hmm, he specifically mentions Redcloak as 17th level. Foreshadowing? Hmm...

He said "I bet Redcloak is 17th!" which is not definitive.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Liberal_L33t posted:

On a lighter note, I've considered V to be female for a while now, as it's been revealed that V always rooms with Haley when the party sleeps at an Inn. Also, in the current comic where V's mate is pictured, you can see just a little behind the apron that "his" lower body shape is square, which Rich has firmly established means "male" wheras a rounded lower body means "female". V, on the other hand, has never been seen without robes on, so we haven't seen her/his lower body shape.

Already been mentioned but lets say this, V is either gay or female. V is not a straight male.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Affi posted:

Already been mentioned but lets say this, V is either gay or female. V is not a straight male.

Then again, V is an elf, and they're always a little fruity.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I've thought of V as a girl for a while now too, not sure why, she just seems like a girl to me.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Meh, that whole hunger for arcane supremacy stuff seemed like a pretty male thing to me.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Vanadium posted:

Meh, that whole hunger for arcane supremacy stuff seemed like a pretty male thing to me.

True, but inverting a gender stereotype like that would be right up Burlew's alley.

(Yes, I know this argument is pointless, but arguing about dumb poo poo is fun).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I've always interpreted it as V's "player" (not that the world seems to include them) never bothered filling out the Gender entry on the character sheet and is just refusing to at this point.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Zereth posted:

I've always interpreted it as V's "player" (not that the world seems to include them) never bothered filling out the Gender entry on the character sheet and is just refusing to at this point.

I think I like this idea of all the arguments.

In other news, no update yet. Let's see, two strips of a black dragon out of loving nowhere, being badass and revenge obsessed. Plug that into our "Burlew delay formula," Hmmm... Looks like we may not be getting another strip for six months or so...

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Hedgehog King posted:

In other news, no update yet. Let's see, two strips of a black dragon out of loving nowhere, being badass and revenge obsessed. Plug that into our "Burlew delay formula," Hmmm... Looks like we may not be getting another strip for six months or so...

No new strip for a few weeks, and then the next dozen or so are about what's going on with Durkon and Elan . . . then maybe a side plot with the Linear Guild, a one or two-shot with the oracle. We'll get back to V in 2010. :haw:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
New strip is up
Waffleimages is being bitchy, so I can't rehost it.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
What are you talking about, V? All dragons have a gap in their underbelly scales. The same way all Wizards smoke pipes while wearing pointy hats and all Halflings get up to mischief.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Its not enough to throw the muffin tho, you need something to launch it. Like a nerf ballzooka.

That was a day my mom will never forget...

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Poor V . . . finally free of Elan, only to end up here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today's twelve panels:

Imp: I will help you!
V: How?
Imp: I have no idea.
V: Me neither.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Close.

CapnAndy posted:

Today's twelve panels:

V: Me neither. Also: I boff a baker.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
How much would half a dead V weigh?

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

oh look, 50 lbs of unliving material.

Haha, imagine if he asked Xykon for help?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You know, you may have something there.

Apparently (according to wikipedia, anyway), the human skeleton only comprises around 13% of your body weight. The average human male in D&D weighs 175 pounds, which would be 22.75 lbs of skeleton to teleport with 27.25 pounds left for gear. He could totally pull that off.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
My instant thought was Xykon. Who WOULDN'T kill the imp on site that could actually help against a black dragon? Clearly none of the good guys.

Yeah, pretty sure Xykon is our man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Either that or V shrinks himself, then casts Statue. Is that spell still in the game?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Is it just me, or has the hosting for giantitp been getting hammered even more lately? It used to only go down directly after an update, now it's inaccessible most of the time.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Today's twelve panels:

V: Me neither.

Come on, for all the posts that we spent guessing how the imp is going to bring V to the dark side, twelve panels seems about fair.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Considering the dragon would have teleported right on top of V's family, they're probably already dead in the time it took for that conversation with the imp.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
The banana nut muffin argument delays them so that V figures out what to do a moment too late.

"A banana nut muffin" are the four words, and the wrong reason was sarcasm.

Calling it now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

Is it just me, or has the hosting for giantitp been getting hammered even more lately? It used to only go down directly after an update, now it's inaccessible most of the time.

It's been like that for awhile now for me.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I see what you guys are saying about Xykon, but think about his character a bit. I'm not sure if anything motivates him beyond "I felt like it". He's currently trying to destroy creation and/or watching his TiVo. He doesn't listen to his own war meetings and has killed his own minions on plenty of occasions. What does a favor from a much less powerful wizard or an imp get him? An excursion to elf lands to fight an ancient dragon had better have some real in the moment benefits for him.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shyrka posted:

Considering the dragon would have teleported right on top of V's family, they're probably already dead in the time it took for that conversation with the imp.
I thought speaking was considered a free action.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

bison wings posted:

I see what you guys are saying about Xykon, but think about his character a bit. I'm not sure if anything motivates him beyond "I felt like it". He's currently trying to destroy creation and/or watching his TiVo. He doesn't listen to his own war meetings and has killed his own minions on plenty of occasions. What does a favor from a much less powerful wizard or an imp get him? An excursion to elf lands to fight an ancient dragon had better have some real in the moment benefits for him.

I think that even a cost/benefit analysis is too coherent a motivation for Xykon, though. He's done some pretty childish, impulsive things, and if memory serves he was getting pretty bored with the city-running. I think he'd love to get into a battle with a black dragon. He's also one of the only characters we know who's of a high enough level and ability to take on a dragon.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
He also might kill him so he can raise it since his last one had it's head chopped off by Roy.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
the thing about half a dead v is, what do you think v would be doing while s/he's dead?

getting aquainted with the new boss. after all, the imp would make the deal before he put the plan in action

i'm giving that outside odds, with the highest odds of course going to "burlew does something kind cool but it's dumb how he spites predictions and i hope he's stopped doing it" with xyklon in second place

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen

Manyorcas posted:

He also might kill him so he can raise it since his last one had it's head chopped off by Roy.
ugh this is probably it, the whole result will be that the writer's favorite character gets a cool new ride

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

happyelf posted:

ugh this is probably it, the whole result will be that the writer's favorite character gets a cool new ride

I thought Xykon was everyone's favorite character. His indifference to most everything (including his own schemes) is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought Xykon was everyone's favorite character. His indifference to most everything (including his own schemes) is hilarious.

Xykon is awesome. He's dumb as poo poo and has the attention span of a hyperactive mouse hopped up on crack cocaine, but that's part of the fun.