Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Do tell how you got the anisotropy looking like that on the black stuff. I always have trouble tweaking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Its just a heavily tiled noise map in the bump slot. Glossy reflections set to .7-ish. And a black diffuse color, that's all of the settings. :)

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
This quarter at SCAD-Atlanta I'm working with a group of a dozen other people to make a short film about an injured stuntman and his really annoying cat. The working title is 'Jaguar McGuire' and we have a blog that'll be updated about once a week or so. Sadly, none of my work has made it onto the blog yet. :smith:

One general rule we're following is that all organic elements must be animated in 2D with all non-organics being in 3D. We're also incorporating some stop-motion elements some point down the road. The general visual style we're going for is similar to the room drawing that's posted near the top of the blog: not exactly toon-shaded, but a bold and bright color palette with soft, subtle transitions from fully-lit to the parts that are in shadow. I've actually put together a basic toon shader that can read color information from a file texture that looks pretty good, as well as give complete control to just how much an object darkens (and to what color) when in shadow.

As for my role in the project, I'm not too good at the 2D stuff but I seem to know the most about how to use Maya and such among the group. We've got about three or four other people building assets and I've taken it upon myself to clean up the other models and make sure they look good when smoothed to the extent necessary for any given shot. Most of the assets are built and UV'd, so now we're moving on to texturing. I'll likely be helping out a lot with lighting and rendering when we get to that stage.

Fun times. :toot:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

International Log posted:

Its just a heavily tiled noise map in the bump slot. Glossy reflections set to .7-ish. And a black diffuse color, that's all of the settings. :)

Oh, well that would work. I guess you just have to be careful of noise creeping into the render there.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heintje posted:

Oh, well that would work. I guess you just have to be careful of noise creeping into the render there.

Yeah, if your reflection subdivs are high enough, you can set the blur of the noise itself to 0, and let vray handle the AA.

Some closeups:

Click here for the full 943x600 image.

Click here for the full 943x600 image.

Didn't have the subdivs high enough in the second, fixed that now, but too lazy to render.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GFBeach posted:

This quarter at SCAD-Atlanta I'm working with a group of a dozen other people to make a short film about an injured stuntman and his really annoying cat. The working title is 'Jaguar McGuire'...

That looks pretty cool, I'll keep an eye on the blog

Also, how many cintiqs does your school have!?
I did one year at an animation type school in Melbourne and we sure as hell didn't have cintiqs for everybody. Your school rocks.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

EoinCannon posted:

That looks pretty cool, I'll keep an eye on the blog

I did one year at an animation type school in Melbourne and we sure as hell didn't have cintiqs for everybody. Your school rocks.

Let's see... we've got one lab of 20 computers that's all Cintiqs, then we've got two other labs with the same number of computers with Cintiqs on half of them. I'd say we've probably got about 50 Cintiqs between the animation and game design programs alone. :hellyeah:

Glad to see my absurd tuition bills are being spent on something actually useful.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Double that number if you want to include the Savannah campus.

Yeah the fees are loving massive, thus the reason I'm leaving to do an internship. I just can't justify spending that much for a postgrad when I can get the same outcome through other means. Sorry SCAD.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Be careful you don't get spoiled by the awesomness of 21" Cintiqs.
I've got one at home and now little intuos at work feels like crap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was quick Hein. :(

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

Haha. I was going to ask the same thing. But at least you had some cintiques. All we have is graphires and intouses(intousi?).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Hackuma posted:

(intousi?)
To be safe, just go with "intuosiii." That way you can pretend you meant Intuos III if someone calls you on it.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
AutoDesSys, the creators of formZ just opened the beta of their new product, Bonzai3D. From what I can tell, it's sorta like Sketchup, but seems to be based on solids/NURBS rather than polygons with a much stronger toolset.

You can check it out here: http://www.bonzai3d.com/bonzai3d_getbeta.html

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Now that I'm putting my portfolio together I'm going back and texture older stuff.

I've been doing games for so long it's strange doing 3d stuff any other way, and in many ways I'm relearning a lot of stuff.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

SynthOrange posted:

That was quick Hein. :(

Yeah, it was. To be honest I was there to get an industry hookup like that and it served it's purpose very quickly. So I'm happy about that.

Eep
Jan 24, 2007
Title text: Optional

Heintje posted:

Yeah, it was. To be honest I was there to get an industry hookup like that and it served it's purpose very quickly. So I'm happy about that.

10 bucks says you have a bunch of sidefx guys showing you how to make snow simulations :D

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Haha maybe, apparently they have something in mind for me to work on- I find out what when I start on Tuesday. I'd say it'd be more a "oh that sounds cool to make, off you go then" and then I hunt down the appropriate developer when it doesn't work.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Now that I'm putting my portfolio together I'm going back and texture older stuff.

I've been doing games for so long it's strange doing 3d stuff any other way, and in many ways I'm relearning a lot of stuff.

I like the way the cloth flows. Is that all geometry?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
yup. I don't have access to z-brush, mudbox or anything like that. So the cloth is all modeled.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
The blog for the SCAD film has been updated with an excerpt of the animatic and a description of our 2D/3D workflow. Apparently I've earned the honorable title of 'shader monkey' (with an equally retarded photo to match :blush:)... which is funny, because any one of you guys in this thread could school me on shaders ten times over.

A few screencaps of the toon shader I've assembled for the film have been posted. The one in the screencaps is pretty simple, but I've since tweaked it to make a layered texture that allows for any texture (color, reflectivity, etc) to stack on top of a ramp shader to control how much it recedes into shadow. It's technically a toon shader, but the art director wants a very smooth gradient between colors.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 13, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GFBeach posted:

The blog for the SCAD film has been updated with an excerpt of the animatic and a description of our 2D/3D workflow. Apparently I've earned the honorable title of 'shader monkey' (with an equally retarded photo to match :blush:)... which is funny, because any one of you guys in this thread could school me on shaders ten times over.

A few screencaps of the toon shader I've assembled for the film have been posted. The one in the screencaps is pretty simple, but I've since tweaked it to make a layered texture that allows for any texture (color, reflectivity, etc) to stack on top of a ramp shader to control how much it recedes into shadow. It's technically a toon shader, but the art director wants a very smooth gradient between colors.

That looks pretty cool so far
I like the idea of having a character partly 2d and partly 3d, although people will probably want to kill whoever came up with that idea when the deadline looms.

Shader looks cool, really cartoony.
Just the other day I had to replicate a specific type of toon shader from some ad, I ended up rendering out 3 passes, one soft GI light, one AO and one VrayToon Effect and layering them up in comp.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slap me in the face if i'm going out of line here, but wouldn't it be cool to have a 3d "gang" logo like all the other subforums have?

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

EoinCannon posted:

That looks pretty cool so far
I like the idea of having a character partly 2d and partly 3d, although people will probably want to kill whoever came up with that idea when the deadline looms.

The teacher insisted on the film having both 2D and 3D elements. I think it's an interesting idea visually, but yeah, I'm expecting the 2D animators to stage a violent uprising against the art director.

quote:

Shader looks cool, really cartoony.
Just the other day I had to replicate a specific type of toon shader from some ad, I ended up rendering out 3 passes, one soft GI light, one AO and one VrayToon Effect and layering them up in comp.

Yeouch, that sounds complicated. I'm one of maybe two or three students working on the film that's taken a dedicated lighting/rendering class (most of those classes are through the Visual Effects department), so we'll probably make do with either the default maya software renderer (what the screencaps were using) or possibly mental ray. Neither is the most elegant solution, but the render tests seem to look good so far.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

International Log posted:

Slap me in the face if i'm going out of line here, but wouldn't it be cool to have a 3d "gang" logo like all the other subforums have?

I recommend that someone draws a cube in MS paint and writes 3D next to it.

I'm seriously considering doing this for my next run of business cards :P

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, so I downloaded the Maya trial and after watching those little basic tutorial videos... Why the gently caress hasn't 3dsmax adopted some of this poo poo?

Onto my actual question though. A good while back I saw a raytracing renderer that would give you a realtime preview. Obviously not at full quality, but a blurry little mess that at least gave you a rough idea of position and lighting. If you let it sit it would gradually work toward the full render. Does anyone recall what this was called?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Unexpected EOF posted:

Okay, so I downloaded the Maya trial and after watching those little basic tutorial videos... Why the gently caress hasn't 3dsmax adopted some of this poo poo?

I had to laugh at this one. It has taken me several years to bring Maya to my school and I am very happy I finally got the powers that be to get the autodesk "maya superpack".
:downsbravo:

It is really nice to be able to switch back between maya and max at will. I have just kind of accepted that a lot of things maya does better and some things max does better. Try to find a connect tool or autogrid in maya . . .
:argh:
Since they are never going to combine them we just have to make do. I am sure the XSI users are just as pissed now as the Maya users were back then . . .

Maya's IPR should do interactive raytracing as far as I know.

GFBeach: That project looks really cool. Good luck matching the 2d and 3d. Seems a bit daring for a student project.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 14, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

sigma 6 posted:

I had to laugh at this one. It has taken me several years to bring Maya to my school and I am very happy I finally got the powers that be to get the autodesk "maya superpack".
:downsbravo:

It is really nice to be able to switch back between maya and max at will. I have just kind of accepted that a lot of things maya does better and some things max does better. Try to find a connect tool or autogrid in maya . . .
:argh:
Since they are never going to combine them we just have to make do. I am sure the XSI users are just as pissed now as the Maya users were back then . . .

Maya's IPR should do interactive raytracing as far as I know.

GFBeach: That project looks really cool. Good luck matching the 2d and 3d. Seems a bit daring for a student project.

The main reason I want the separate renderer is because it'll allow me to use it between 3ds and Maya since it was cross compatible.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
does anybody have experience with kerkythea? If so, why the hell do simple renders take hours upon hours to finish?

this is the slowest raytracing i've ever seen...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

The main reason I want the separate renderer is because it'll allow me to use it between 3ds and Maya since it was cross compatible.

What about Fryrender?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

LKL posted:

does anybody have experience with kerkythea? If so, why the hell do simple renders take hours upon hours to finish?

this is the slowest raytracing i've ever seen...

Programming a render engine is not easy - if someone makes one for free in their spare time it's quite safe to assume it's poo poo, regardless of the quality it can output.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Programming a render engine is not easy - if someone makes one for free in their spare time it's quite safe to assume it's poo poo, regardless of the quality it can output.

but in this case I'm comparing it to other free render engines such as yafaray and luxrender that can do images just as good or better so much faster. I see no reason kerkythea should take so long. It's a nice program (i like the material editor) but the render times are just ridiculous.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
3Delight is free and pretty powerful, though it's a REYES type scanline renderer, it has a raytracing engine but it's not really it's focus. The documentation for it kinda sucks though and it can be hard to get decent images, you may need to code your own shaders too.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Texture Update:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Heintje posted:

3Delight is free and pretty powerful, though it's a REYES type scanline renderer, it has a raytracing engine but it's not really it's focus. The documentation for it kinda sucks though and it can be hard to get decent images, you may need to code your own shaders too.

doesn't 3delight put watermarks on all rendered images?

edit: VV it does. plus, there wasn't a direct script for blender (only using blender for a class I'm in and I'd like to get it so renders don't suck so much). I'm using a script called "Mosaic" that is for renderman renderers and 3delight has the watermark on it so i'm gonna try out pixie.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 14, 2009

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Nah you should be fine. The non commercial/free license from their website gives you 2 nodes, non watermarked. It's a good way to get familiar with the way Renderman does things too, but there are little differences that can be really annoying at times (since the documentation just isn't there regarding that).

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

LKL posted:

. . .so i'm gonna try out pixie.

FYI, I used Pixie a while back with Silo and it works like a charm for what little I played with it. No GUI though, so everything is flags etc.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 14, 2009

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

FYI, I used Pixie a while back with Silo and it works like a charm for what little I played with it. No GUI though, so everything is flags etc.

i think that's alright since the Mosaic script has half a screen full of options.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

spottedfeces posted:

Texture Update:

Couple of things. It looks like a model. This is due to inappropriate use of DoF and size of details. The carpet texture is way too large in its tiling. The print should be smaller. It appears like a swath of real carpet was put in a model building.

The cup/water tank is fine but everything else just appears a little too oversized which makes it appear model like again.

Also need to up the photon count or whatever so the walls will be smoother.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spottedfeces posted:

Texture Update:

Better, but:

The field of view is huge, make it smaller (like 55-65 degrees), now you have 2 big empty areas on the left and right side of your image. Make the doorstills a lot thinner too, unless you're going for somekind of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Where can I get some free/public domain/creative commons models of humans for a hobby computer game project? Do any of you guys want to offer their models to showcase in a game, with credits, of course?