Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah

Macht posted:

Someone get in here and say shes going to be ok because some of the things he guessed were untreatable...

:( He's cute, I wish you the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macht
Jun 18, 2007
roll with brian lamb
She wont eat anything and her left leg is really stiff. I can flop her right front paw but, laying on her side, she has her left front leg straight out and stiff.

edit: I have the test results here now and she has high Phosphate levels, not phosphorus heh.

edit2: I thought she might be seizing so I took her back to the emergency vet and they are keeping her for the night on an IV and stuff :(

Macht fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 11, 2009

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Macht posted:

I ended up leaving right after I posted because she started wobbling and having trouble standing.

My moms dog had a reaction like this after she fed her some Macadamia nuts which are toxic to dogs. Perhaps she got into something she wasn't supposed to eat or a product you use in the house?

I'm really sorry. :( I know this is really scary but she's in the best possible place she can be with the e-vet. Do you have a regular vet you've taken her to before you can take her to tomorrow that you trust? Not saying the e-vet is untrust worthy but sometimes it's good (and certainly cheaper) to have your regular vet who has the dogs history involved.

Where did you get her? If you got her from a breeder maybe you can give them a call to see if they've had any problems like this with any of their other dogs or her parents?

I'll be keeping you and your pup in my thoughts. :love:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My cat just ran into something (as he frequently does :downs:) and he busted his nose. Anything I should keep an eye out for? I think it just bled a little bit because now he's fine. Mostly posting to say "My cat runs into poo poo and finally got his comeuppance" I guess.

Good luck Macht :(

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 11, 2009

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Macht posted:

Someone get in here and say shes going to be ok because some of the things he guessed were untreatable...

Did you call the breeder yet? Maybe they've seen this in you pup's lines and can tell you more.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Macht posted:

She's super cute and I hope she's ok. Definitely continue to work with your vet, and hopefully you get to the bottom of this. :smith:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Hardwood vs Carpet: The Cat Question
I'm going to be moving into an apartment in the not-too-distant future and was wondering which kind of flooring is better for cats. Hardwood is easy to clean up for when accidents happen, but carpet is more comfortable for me. Do cats have trouble with claws getting stuck in carpet or habits of ripping it up?

Cinderwitch
Jan 3, 2006
Confused, would we?

geetee posted:

I'm going to be moving into an apartment in the not-too-distant future and was wondering which kind of flooring is better for cats. Hardwood is easy to clean up for when accidents happen, but carpet is more comfortable for me. Do cats have trouble with claws getting stuck in carpet or habits of ripping it up?

I've got both hardwood and carpet flooring and my cat much prefers the carpet! Especially if its cold out, she hates putting her little paws on the cold hardwood floor. And just generally seems to hate sitting on it.
With the carpet she liked ripping it up at first but I made sure she had plenty of scratching posts to be distracted by and she lost interest. She sometimes gets her claws caught but its quite rare and she usually manages to unhook them pretty quickly.

I think cats can do much worse damage to hardwood. Meesh likes to run around during the night with her claws out like a crazy kitten and has managed to scratch almost every single piece of hardwood in our hall. It'll cost a hell of a lot more to replace the floorboards than a carpet!

Macht
Jun 18, 2007
roll with brian lamb

Macht posted:

She wont eat anything and her left leg is really stiff. I can flop her right front paw but, laying on her side, she has her left front leg straight out and stiff.

edit: I have the test results here now and she has high Phosphate levels, not phosphorus heh.

edit2: I thought she might be seizing so I took her back to the emergency vet and they are keeping her for the night on an IV and stuff :(

After 2 emergency visits including overnight, half a day at the vet, and $600 no one can tell me what was wrong with her. She is acting pretty normal now outside of a low appetite.

Hopefully this was just a one time freak incident?

e: The shelter I adopted her from didn't seem to know anything, but thanks for advice/worry outlet PI :shobon:

Macht fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 11, 2009

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks Cinderwitch, you've sold me on carpet! To be honest, I don't think I could deal with cold floors either.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

geetee posted:

Generally, hardwood floors are safer for cats.

Some cats will claw at carpet, which can be expensive to replace if they get too ragged while you're living there. Carpet also picks up a LOT of fur and dander, so you'd need to vacuum it very frequently, and shampoo it when you move out (unless it gets so torn up you need to pay for replacement). Also, carpet picks up stains/odors from pee/puke/poop.

Hardwood is VERY easy to maintain - just get a dust mop and run it around the floor whenever you see fur lying around. Spills are easy to clean up.

I've lived in a few places with hardwood and with carpet, and hardwood wins hands-down. I've never seen the cats damage the wood floors, and a good cleaning with proper wood cleaner would clean up any minor scuffs or anything else.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Trimmed my cat's nails last night. No issues - no splitting, didn't hit quick or anything like that, not too short... Everything was fine.

Today, about 10 min ago, I picked up Wally and was just playing with him. He quickly pulled away from me, starting to lick his paw. I grabbed him to investigate. About 4 of his front claws are all split with a little dried blood. His dewclaw is almost completely torn off, with a very exposed and tender-looking quick.

I can't figure out how he did this, and I am quite worried about him. I wouldn't think this is an emergency, run to the vet situation... but I am not sure what I can put on it to keep out infection. Any advice?

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

Trimmed my cat's nails last night. No issues - no splitting, didn't hit quick or anything like that, not too short... Everything was fine.

Today, about 10 min ago, I picked up Wally and was just playing with him. He quickly pulled away from me, starting to lick his paw. I grabbed him to investigate. About 4 of his front claws are all split with a little dried blood. His dewclaw is almost completely torn off, with a very exposed and tender-looking quick.

I can't figure out how he did this, and I am quite worried about him. I wouldn't think this is an emergency, run to the vet situation... but I am not sure what I can put on it to keep out infection. Any advice?

IF you can quickly get to a pet store (large chains are fine), there should be styptic powner (I think that's how it's spelled) in the nail/teeth care section. It helps ensure the bleeding stops.

Some cats just insist on cleaning/sharpening/biting their claws, no matter how well you trim them. It's probably not an e-vet situation, but watch him to make sure he doesn't bleed much and his behavior doesn't change. If he keeps poking at his claws, you may need to put an e-collar on him, to prevent him from going at his claws.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

jbone posted:

Generally, hardwood floors are safer for cats.

:arghfist: you make so much sense and I wish you didn't! Fortunately it's a cooperative and not a rental -- but I still don't want busted carpet. Frequent vacuuming isn't a problem because I'm a neat freak. Scratching posts and diligent training would definitely be in order, but in the end it's still an animal and accidents/habits will happen.

How well do products like Nature's Miracle work?

I'm curious to hear how successful scratching posts are with deterring carpet floor scratching too.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

geetee posted:

:arghfist: you make so much sense and I wish you didn't! Fortunately it's a cooperative and not a rental -- but I still don't want busted carpet. Frequent vacuuming isn't a problem because I'm a neat freak. Scratching posts and diligent training would definitely be in order, but in the end it's still an animal and accidents/habits will happen.

I'm curious to hear how successful scratching posts are with deterring carpet floor scratching too.

All this varies from cat to cat.

I've always had plenty of scratching posts/stuff for my cats, but my younger cat still likes to poke at the carpet. It's not for attention, it's not for spite, it's not for any individual particular reason - and I haven't been able to break her of it.

Also, my other cat recently had bad gastric issues, involving lots of puke/diarrhaea on the carpet. Woolite Oxygenated Carpet Cleaner got up all the stains, and I'll sometimes use Simple Solution for Cats (I find it works better for my cats than Nature's Miracle).

I long for my old place's hardwood floors.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

jbone posted:

IF you can quickly get to a pet store (large chains are fine), there should be styptic powner (I think that's how it's spelled) in the nail/teeth care section. It helps ensure the bleeding stops.

Some cats just insist on cleaning/sharpening/biting their claws, no matter how well you trim them. It's probably not an e-vet situation, but watch him to make sure he doesn't bleed much and his behavior doesn't change. If he keeps poking at his claws, you may need to put an e-collar on him, to prevent him from going at his claws.

Yeah, I have a styptic pencil, but he isn't really bleeding. There is some dried blood which I am going to clean up once the extra pair of hands gets home from work in about 30 min. (Wally is 9 months of pure teenage kitten muscle.) From what it looks like, he got his claws stuck in something... but I have no idea what. Not that it matters anyways at this point.

Also, he seems to be leaving it alone for the most part. He isn't limping or anything. I wouldn't have known anything was even wrong with him if I didn't pick him up and try to play with him earlier.

Is there some sort of antibiotic like Neosporin that I can use on it?

I am just concerned about infection until I can get him into the vet to get on an oral antibiotic, if necessary.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

Is there some sort of antibiotic like Neosporin that I can use on it?

I am just concerned about infection until I can get him into the vet to get on an oral antibiotic, if necessary.

Cosidering it's his foot and he'll be walking on it/licking it frequently, Neosporin probably wouldn't be too useful - either he'll lick it right off, or it'll just wipe off on everything in the house.

If you can get him to the vet in the morning, he should be fine. But watch to make sure he doesn't start favoring one foot over another. He's probably at least a little sore, and cats are really good at hiding pain, but there's probably little risk of permanent damage.

And cats can do all kinds of stuff to their claws - a friend of mine has a cat who managed to declaw one claw from one of her own back feet. My friend never did find the claw or figure out how the cat did it, and the cat was fine once she healed, but still.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I broke down and called the e-vet to ask their opinion. (I hate calling because I feel like a crazy cat lady when I ask them questions about poo poo like this.)

They said that there isn't really anything they can do for him since it has stopped bleeding. If it starts to bleed again, pack the nail with floor to stop bleeding. Since he isn't bothering it much, they just said to keep it clean and watch for infection.... but that it just basically will have to heal on its own, no need for a visit.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

When my little boy cat was 4 months old, he started 'humping' my fuzzy blanket. It wasn't so much a humping motion with his hips as it was he'd get on top of it, grab a chunk in his mouth and start kneading like crazy with his front paws. I don't think he really understood what he was doing but it was pretty obvious.

The vet wouldn't neuter him until he was at least 5 months old and I took him in on the day he turned 5 months, not only due to this but I never wanted it to enter into his head to spray. It's been a month now and he still is trying to make friends with my blanket. I've only ever seen him do it with this one particular fuzzy blanket. I had hoped I got him neutered before this became a habit/comfort thing. Whenever I saw him doing it I'd redirect his attention and then while I wasn't around put the blanket somewhere he couldn't get to it. Will this ever stop? Is there a way to get him to stop? I was planning on breaking out the old water bottle so he wont know it's me. I feel bad because he's not technically doing anything 'wrong' as it's all instinct but that's my blanket he's raping. :saddowns:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Speaking purely off of what I've read on PI in the past, it sounds like he's trying to nurse from your blanket. Someone will probably ask how old he was when he was taken from his mother.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

KilGrey posted:

When my little boy cat was 4 months old, he started 'humping' my fuzzy blanket. It wasn't so much a humping motion with his hips as it was he'd get on top of it, grab a chunk in his mouth and start kneading like crazy with his front paws. I don't think he really understood what he was doing but it was pretty obvious.

The vet wouldn't neuter him until he was at least 5 months old and I took him in on the day he turned 5 months, not only due to this but I never wanted it to enter into his head to spray. It's been a month now and he still is trying to make friends with my blanket. I've only ever seen him do it with this one particular fuzzy blanket. I had hoped I got him neutered before this became a habit/comfort thing. Whenever I saw him doing it I'd redirect his attention and then while I wasn't around put the blanket somewhere he couldn't get to it. Will this ever stop? Is there a way to get him to stop? I was planning on breaking out the old water bottle so he wont know it's me. I feel bad because he's not technically doing anything 'wrong' as it's all instinct but that's my blanket he's raping. :saddowns:

I had a cat who still did this at the ripe old age of 19, having been neutered in his first year. My current cat is ~2 years old, neutered, and has taken a liking to a stuffed animal that has a lot of sentimental value. So I hide that stuffed animal and encourage him to make friends with some polar fleece blankets instead. I haven't tried spray bottles because really as annoying behaviors go, this is not high on the list.

geetee, maybe, but that's more when they're sucking obsessively. This is just "making biscuits" with a sexual element. It's weird, disturbing, and unfortunately pretty normal.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

geetee posted:

Speaking purely off of what I've read on PI in the past, it sounds like he's trying to nurse from your blanket. Someone will probably ask how old he was when he was taken from his mother.

Well, I found him. I was leaving the parking lot of the grocery store and the car in front of me opened their door and pitched him out then sped off. He was homeless and on the street for all of the 5 seconds it took for me to jump out and scoop his confused fuzzy butt up. He was 6 or 7 weeks or so the vet said.

However, it's not a suckling thing. His stance is completely wrong. It's this arched over yet hunkered down pose with a huge wad of blanket in his mouth and very pronounce, over exaggerated biscuit making. You can tell he's biting down and not suckling. Just to make sure though when I saw him doing it the second or third time I picked him up and flipped him over and yeah, his penis was out. Little pervert. :gonk:

Edit:

exactduckwoman posted:

I had a cat who still did this at the ripe old age of 19, having been neutered in his first year. My current cat is ~2 years old, neutered, and has taken a liking to a stuffed animal that has a lot of sentimental value. So I hide that stuffed animal and encourage him to make friends with some polar fleece blankets instead. I haven't tried spray bottles because really as annoying behaviors go, this is not high on the list.

geetee, maybe, but that's more when they're sucking obsessively. This is just "making biscuits" with a sexual element. It's weird, disturbing, and unfortunately pretty normal.

Ah, so I might just be stuck. I wish it wasn't the blanket I use to cuddle on the couch with. Usually when not in use it's folded up on the back of the couch. I wonder why they choose one thing do this with and nothing else? Sometimes I'll be laying on the couch reading and feel the blanket that's hanging down on the floor or the extra bunch at my feet start to rustle and I'll look down see him going to town. I feel dirty. :( At least since he's fixed he can't do this to completion right?

No, it's not high on the list of things to worry about. It's just weird and a bit gross. Like I said, I feel bad scolding him for it or making him feel like it's wrong because it's a natural instinct. Is trying to get him to focus on another object better than trying to ninja squirt him with a bottle to get him to stop the act completely (if that's even possible)?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 12, 2009

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
One of my cats (10yrs) does the exact same thing, Usually with my couch blankets. To make it extra fun, he yells the entire time too. If he's feeling especially frisky, he hauls the blanket to where more people are before gettin' his hump on.

Very normal, very gross.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

tsc posted:

One of my cats (10yrs) does the exact same thing, Usually with my couch blankets. To make it extra fun, he yells the entire time too. If he's feeling especially frisky, he hauls the blanket to where more people are before gettin' his hump on.

Very normal, very gross.

Oh thank god all he does is purr like crazy. I might strangle him if he decided to yowl in the process. It is rather funny your cat likes an audience though. "Hey...hey guys, look what I'm doin' to this blanket! :downs:"

I've had many cats in my life but never a male cat. Growing up my mom had this weird 'no male animals' rule. So while I'm pretty experienced with cats, I've never had to deal with the perverted male aspect of cat ownership.

Well, my brother did have a male that he moved up from Arizona with that humped a stuffed white kitty I had. I went to pick it up one day and it was completely crusty and stiff. I had no idea why until I caught him full blown hips pumping on it like a mad man a few days later. But my brother was an idiot and didn't have him neutered so I figured that was the reason. Once we got him fixed he stopped doing it. I was hoping this would be the case here.

While I've caught my little boy kneading and biting a chunk of the blanket, he's never incorporated any hip action and has never done it to completion before. It will stay that way since he's neutered right? ...right? :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
None of my perverted cats have ever caused crustiness. God that's horrible :gonk:

Try redirecting him, yeah. I have no idea if squirting would work and it's probably better to just try to forget, possibly by drinking. Both of the cats in question have really liked stuffed animals with this kind of long fur:

So maybe you can get him a teddy bear all his own.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Do they make RealDolls for cats?

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Do they make RealDolls for cats?

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rs0OrM3ow&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQWZ3y1shJE&feature=related

http://www.hasbro.com/furreal/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=11068

hhgtrillian fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 12, 2009

Cinderwitch
Jan 3, 2006
Confused, would we?

geetee posted:

I should probably say, my hardwood floors are maybe around 30 years old so are quite worn and soft, this might be why the cat managed to do so much damage.

I think its just the cold thing thats made me pro carpet. I took Meesh to my parents over the winter and she went crazy for their carpets (just rolling around not scratching). When I had to bring her back to my apartment I felt so guilty.
So I just bought cheap carpet tiles for her, now its the only place she'll sit. Rugs work wonders too!

Edit for a question of my own: My cat is 4 years old. She has always been the only cat of the house and is very skittish and timid from being abused when she was little :( I've had her for a year and it has taken her almost that entire time to trust/warm to me. In the summer me and my boyfriend (who she LOVES) are moving in together and he suggested getting another kitten. I'm really worried this would be too stressful for her because she is so scared of change and used to being spoiled rotten. What do people think? Would introducing a new cat be a good idea? If so cat or kitten?

Cinderwitch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 12, 2009

Bunnicula
Mar 22, 2007

skish skish
^It completely depends on the cat. Two of my cats went from being really sweet to being really awful and angry when I introduced new cats or kittens to them and I even went through all the trouble of keeping them separated and letting them "discover" each other over time and everything they say to do. My cat d'Artagnan however was separated from his brother and was grieving so he was immediately in love with the kitten I got after that. Unfortunately, the Dr Jekyl --> Mr Hyde cats never recovered their personalities and I always regretted it :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
My kitten is about 6 or 7 months old right now, and he's super cute. The problem is that he is really aggressive. If I try to pet him, he usually loves it for a few minutes, but then he turns his head back and starts going bat poo poo crazy trying to bite me. He literally will try to do ANYTHING to bite, nonstop. He will just gnaw down on my arm or fingers, or whatever he can, and not let go.

Is this something that kittens sometimes do? Should I bring him to the vet? Hopefully he'll grow out of it? He was neutered at a very young age, about 3 months (and he was only 3lbs), and I've heard that can "gently caress up" the cat sometimes, but I haven't heard any details beyond it can "gently caress them up". Is there any truth behind this? Was he neutered too soon?

Thanks

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
He's probably getting overstimulated. Some cats do that. One second they're fine and the next CHOMP. It could partially be because he's younger and like most youngsters has some difficulty controlling his emotions. Pet him for a little bit, then leave him alone. Gradually work up the length of time until you notice him getting irritated or excited (ears back, swishing tail, etc) and then leave him be. Usually after a break of a few minutes they're fine and ready for more petting.

Cinderwitch
Jan 3, 2006
Confused, would we?

Bunnicula posted:

^It completely depends on the cat.

Thank you Bunnicula! I don't think I'd want to risk it. She has developed such a nice friendly personality and I'm worried that adding a new cat would regress her back to being timid or worse, aggressive.

To be honest I'm happy with just one cat. I was just panicking a bit because a lot of people had been telling me she must be lonely being an indoor cat on her own. But the apartment is only empty for around 4 hours a day and she seems to spend most of that asleep, the rest of the time she gets tons of attention.

BywaterBetsy
Jan 20, 2008
This question has been asked I'm sure, but I couldn't find it.

I need to bring my cat in to the vet for her yearly shots and check up. Is there anything I can do to reduce the stress? She cries in the kennel the whole time and usually pees on herself. I stopped the peeing by buying her a cloth carrier, it scares her less for some reason, but she still gets really stressed. Halp

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

dutchbstrd posted:

My kitten is about 6 or 7 months old right now, and he's super cute. The problem is that he is really aggressive. If I try to pet him, he usually loves it for a few minutes, but then he turns his head back and starts going bat poo poo crazy trying to bite me. He literally will try to do ANYTHING to bite, nonstop. He will just gnaw down on my arm or fingers, or whatever he can, and not let go.

Is this something that kittens sometimes do? Should I bring him to the vet? Hopefully he'll grow out of it? He was neutered at a very young age, about 3 months (and he was only 3lbs), and I've heard that can "gently caress up" the cat sometimes, but I haven't heard any details beyond it can "gently caress them up". Is there any truth behind this? Was he neutered too soon?

Thanks

100 Years in Iraq is right. Pay attention to his body language. In addition, be very careful to never use your hands to play with him. He'll get the idea that hands = toys.

BywaterBetsy posted:

I need to bring my cat in to the vet for her yearly shots and check up. Is there anything I can do to reduce the stress? She cries in the kennel the whole time and usually pees on herself. I stopped the peeing by buying her a cloth carrier, it scares her less for some reason, but she still gets really stressed. Halp

Keep her carrier out where she can sniff it at all times and doesn't associate it with scary things. Try luring her into it with treats on a regular basis. That might help make the process of getting her into it at least less stressful for her and you both.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

2 of my cats hate the kennel and will hurt themselves trying to get out of it, if I try to put them in at home. But, they tolerate harnesses really well. So I pop on the harness, take them to the vet, and when I get there, they go right into the kennel no problem.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
A sick puppy got my question ignored :smith:

Doc Faustus posted:

My girlfriend and I are moving in with a mutual friend soon. She has two cats, he has one. She'd actually be moving in a few months later, though, so here's the question: would it be better to move all the cats in at once so it's all neutral territory, or can they be introduced later?

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

Have you taken your sick puppy to the vet?

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Can anyone with a pet that has allergies tell me how long it took for symptoms to go away after switching to a good allergy food. Right now my dog has been on Orijen 6 Fresh Fish for two weeks, plus 2 allergy pills 3 times a day, as well as Genta Spray (Gentamincin Sulfate with Betamethasone Valerate) sprayed twice daily and she still has sores from chewing on the top her butt so muc so much. How soon should I be talking to the vet about other reasons for the chewing besides allergies? I disn't expect an instant fix but I would think that after two weeks she would be showing some improvements.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

jbone posted:

Have you taken your sick puppy to the vet?

Haha

Doc Faustus posted:

I personally would do it all at once and at the same time. Keep the two sets of cats separated at first and take turns letting one set live in the main apartment then switch and let the other set out to the main apartment while the other is in a bedroom. That way both sets can explore the new apartment and adjust to the new surroundings in peace while being able to get used to the smell of the other cat(s). Do the normal switching of bedding for a bit too before face to face introductions. Maybe invest in some Feliway. That would help not only with getting sued to each other but being calm and adjusting to the new home.

If they are all new to the apartment there will be less territory issues since they are all new to the environment. They can also sort things out all at once when it comes to the pecking order between them rather than introducing two cats and then throwing the third in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

How do I get my newly adopted SPCA dog to sleep through the night? We just got her 6 days ago. We walk her in the morning and in the evening. She is some sort of beagle/retriever mix (or something like that) - 42lbs. She is out like a loving light by 8:30pm and she is fine until about 3:45am when she starts whining to be let out of her crate. I get up and take her out and put her back in her crate again and all is well, but ideally, the whole "wake up and take the dog out at 4 in the loving morning" thing could be avoided. I take her out right before I go to sleep. Usually, she doesn't pee, but sometimes she does. When I get up at 3:45am, of course, she goes right out and pees. She's 2 years old.

I'm hoping that she will just get used to our schedule of ~10pm -> 6am and be able to sleep the entire time; I'm assuming that since we've had her less than a week, she just hasn't fully adjusted yet, but if there's anything that I should be doing...