Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Triple Tech, I suggest going with the EAV approach, and set up insert/update triggers on the 2mil row table that creates EAV entries. Then you can use my historical EAV code to pull a version of the table at any date/time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
I was thinking about it the other day and my real beef was how to diff rows in the database-space against rows in the text space... Obviously you just query all the columns and cat them together, and then encapsulate it in a subroutine and forget about how ugly it is. And then just put instance dates in the table whenever a new instance pops up.

So it was this overhead that I was originally whining about. Plus the overhead of having to loop through the file's rows in Perl-space as opposed to bcp'ing it and doing it some other magical way.

Also supposedly SQL Server's ISS chain handles all this ETL/data warehousing garbage, but I don't know anyone who's willing to put their business on the line like that.

Edit: I will never give EAV the time of day. It's like making GBS threads on my ivory tower. I refuse to acknowledge these data warehousing queers. :colbert:

Triple Tech fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 6, 2009

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Triple Tech - What is the projected rate of change? If only a small number of entries change you can just set up the table with Record Begin/End Dates and a REC_CURRENT_FLG.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

What is the flag in this model used for? It's not enough to just select the one with the max date? I'm sure the flag helps trivialize this process. It just seems redundant, data-wise. That or make a trigger-powered table of latest entries and just a historical dump table of previous incarnations.

Projected rate of change? Should be zero. This processes is sort of an alert filter against real life.

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
table
- c1
- date_added

I would like to write a query that will remove all but one row for each value of c1.

E.g. If three rows have a value of 'asdfasdfasdf' for the column c1, I want to delete the first two rows, leaving the most recent.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Make a join table, containing the max date for each value of c1. Then, using this join table, delete every row in the base table where there is no joined row (e.g. rows that do not satisfy this initial condition).

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Stephen posted:

table
- c1
- date_added

I would like to write a query that will remove all but one row for each value of c1.

E.g. If three rows have a value of 'asdfasdfasdf' for the column c1, I want to delete the first two rows, leaving the most recent.

in SQL Server 2005

code:
DELETE FROM t1
FROM table t1 inner join
     table t2 on t1.c1 = t2.c1 and t1.date_added < t2.date_added

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
Perfect, thanks guys.

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I have a general question related to hard drives and SQL server. What kind of a performance difference is there between a 15k RPM serial SCSI drive, and a 7K RPM SATA drive? The database being housed on the drives is going to be primarily retrieving data, is it worth the extra cost to go with a 15k drive? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really not a hardware guy.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

This doesn't directly answer your question, but if you're optimizing for read, you generally want to stripe your storage across physical disks and also look up techniques related to reading data faster (indexes, denormalized tables, things typically opposite writing optimizations).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Triple Tech posted:

What is the flag in this model used for? It's not enough to just select the one with the max date? I'm sure the flag helps trivialize this process. It just seems redundant, data-wise. That or make a trigger-powered table of latest entries and just a historical dump table of previous incarnations.

Projected rate of change? Should be zero. This processes is sort of an alert filter against real life.

Some people hate using between and think it kills performance, I add it out of habit now so I don't have to argue with people. You can keep a complete history and still have an easy select by using a view.
code:
Create or replace view the_view as
SELECT *
  FROM big_table
 WHERE REC_CURRENT_FLG= 'Y'

Or
create or replace view the_view as
SELECT *
  FROM big_table
 WHERE SYSDATE between rec_beg_dt and rec_end_dt

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

BizzyLimpkits posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I have a general question related to hard drives and SQL server. What kind of a performance difference is there between a 15k RPM serial SCSI drive, and a 7K RPM SATA drive? The database being housed on the drives is going to be primarily retrieving data, is it worth the extra cost to go with a 15k drive? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really not a hardware guy.

Joe Chang has some good articles on http://sql-server-performance.com.

Joe's page: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/authors/jchang.aspx

His recent article on storage: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/per/system_storage_configuration_p1.aspx

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Suppose that I have a table called User and a table called UserLogins. The table UserLogins has the columns UserID, LoginTime (together making the table's Primary Key), and EnteredNumber. EnteredNumber is an integer between 0 and 9 that the user is required to enter when he logs in.

Suppose I want to use a query to create a table of users that is sorted according to the total of all the numbers that a user has ever entered when he logged in, in descending order... but if a user has logged in more than 100 times, I only want to take into account the last 100 times he logged in. How do I go about doing this?

(The task I am trying to figure out how to do actually has nothing to do with users logging in; I just decided to express it in a generic setting. So if your response is "That sounds ridiculous, why are you trying to do that?", yes it is ridiculous and no I'm not really trying to do that, but please tell me how I would do it anyway.)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hammerite posted:

Suppose that I have a table called User and a table called UserLogins. The table UserLogins has the columns UserID, LoginTime (together making the table's Primary Key), and EnteredNumber. EnteredNumber is an integer between 0 and 9 that the user is required to enter when he logs in.

Suppose I want to use a query to create a table of users that is sorted according to the total of all the numbers that a user has ever entered when he logged in, in descending order... but if a user has logged in more than 100 times, I only want to take into account the last 100 times he logged in. How do I go about doing this?

(The task I am trying to figure out how to do actually has nothing to do with users logging in; I just decided to express it in a generic setting. So if your response is "That sounds ridiculous, why are you trying to do that?", yes it is ridiculous and no I'm not really trying to do that, but please tell me how I would do it anyway.)
Try this:
code:

SELECT USER_ID, sum(num_entered)
  FROM  (SELECT USER_ID, num_entered
	   FROM base_table
	  WHERE user_id = lc_counts.user_id
	    AND ROWNUM < 101
	  ORDER BY time_stamp desc) temp_work_table
;

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Xae posted:

Try this:
code:

SELECT USER_ID, sum(num_entered)
  FROM  (SELECT USER_ID, num_entered
	   FROM base_table
	  WHERE user_id = lc_counts.user_id
	    AND ROWNUM < 101
	  ORDER BY time_stamp desc) temp_work_table
;

Thanks for the suggestion. I ought to have mentioned that I am constrained to using MySQL. Looking on the internet, I see that ROWNUM is a feature that other RDBMSs have but that MySQL does not have. Is there a way of doing it that will work in MySQL?

Edit: Also, I want to make sure it's clear that I want to apply the "most recent 100 logins" requirement to the users individually, not to the output as a whole. So if I have 3 users Adam, Beth and Chloe who have logged in 120, 50 and 90 times respectively, I want to get back three rows: the sum of Adam's last 100 login numbers, the sum of all of Beth's login numbers and the sum of all of Chloe's login numbers. And the only ordering in time of the logins that matters is the ordering of the individual user's logins relative to one another; it shouldn't matter when Chloe's logins occurred relative to Adam's, for example.

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 8, 2009

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
When doing a query, how do I used one of the value of a query as part of another aspect of the same query?

here is the code:

code:
SELECT 		term_data.name 		AS name,
		term_node.nid		AS HAYD00D,
		bc_bests.best_nid 	AS bid
FROM		term_data
LEFT JOIN	term_node
ON		term_data.tid = term_node.tid
LEFT JOIN	bc_bests
ON		term_node.nid = bc_bests.ranked_rank
WHERE		term_data.tid = 1
AND		bc_bests.ranked_nid = HAYD00D
LIMIT		6;
What I want to do is take the value selected HAYD00D, and use it as part of the query in the "AND" line.

PS. I know it works becuase when I don't include the "AND... " line, I just get NULLs for that column.

EDIT:

Could this be an alternative, 2 sequencial select statements?
code:
SELECT 		term_data.name 		AS name,
		term_node.nid		AS nid
FROM		term_data
LEFT JOIN	term_node
ON		term_data.tid = term_node.tid
SELECT		best_nid		AS bid
FROM		bc_bests
WHERE		ranked_nid = nid
LIMIT		20;
How do I do that?

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 8, 2009

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
code:
SELECT	best_nid		AS bid
FROM	bc_bests
WHERE	ranked_nid IN ( SELECT 	term_node.nid	AS nid
			FROM		term_data
			LEFT JOIN	term_node
			ON		term_data.tid = term_node.tid )
LIMIT	20;

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hammerite posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I ought to have mentioned that I am constrained to using MySQL. Looking on the internet, I see that ROWNUM is a feature that other RDBMSs have but that MySQL does not have. Is there a way of doing it that will work in MySQL?

Edit: Also, I want to make sure it's clear that I want to apply the "most recent 100 logins" requirement to the users individually, not to the output as a whole. So if I have 3 users Adam, Beth and Chloe who have logged in 120, 50 and 90 times respectively, I want to get back three rows: the sum of Adam's last 100 login numbers, the sum of all of Beth's login numbers and the sum of all of Chloe's login numbers. And the only ordering in time of the logins that matters is the ordering of the individual user's logins relative to one another; it shouldn't matter when Chloe's logins occurred relative to Adam's, for example.

You will need to use a work table to store the results then. MySQL supports the LIMIT function to limit the number of rows.
Pseudo Code
code:
get distinct user_ids

Loop through user_ids
	insert into work_table
	select * from base_table
	where user_id = cursor.user_id
	ORDER BY time_stamp desc
	LIMIT 100;
end loop

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Xae posted:

You will need to use a work table to store the results then. MySQL supports the LIMIT function to limit the number of rows.
Pseudo Code

OK, thanks for telling me how to do it.

It looks like that way of doing things would be quite computationally intensive. Since the actual task I have in mind is related to displaying information on a web page that anyone can access, I might consider automating the query to run once per day and each time store the results in the User table, or something like that.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Hammerite posted:

I haven't tried it but will something like this work:

code:
SELECT ul1.UserID, SUM(ul.EnteredNumber)
FROM   UserLogins AS ul
       LEFT OUTER JOIN 
	( SELECT ul1.UserID, MIN(ul1.LoginTime) AS MinLoginTime
	  FROM   UserLogins AS ul1 
       		 INNER JOIN UserLogins AS ul2
         	   ON ul1.UserID = ul2.UserID
            	      AND ul1.LoginTime <= ul2.LoginTime
	  GROUP BY ul1.UserID
	  HAVING COUNT(*) = 100
 	) AS TimeLimit
	ON ul.UserID = TimeLimit.UserID
WHERE 	ul.LoginTime >= COALESCE(TimeLimit.MinLoginTime, -9999)
GROUP BY ul.UserID

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

deimos posted:

code:
SELECT	best_nid		AS bid
FROM	bc_bests
WHERE	ranked_nid IN ( SELECT 	term_node.nid	AS nid
			FROM		term_data
			LEFT JOIN	term_node
			ON		term_data.tid = term_node.tid )
LIMIT	20;

Hmmm, It kind of works, but it doesn't seem to take any input.

The "nid" is a term ID and depends on the URL you are on. I'll keep diggin, thanks though!

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 9, 2009

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Not sure if this entirely proper to post here, but I've been searching for over 15 minutes now for Oracle Client 10.1.0.5 (not instant, I need the full admin package) but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know how to find it?

Edit: maybe it's only on metalink...crap, now I have to go through all of the red tape in my company to find out how to get access :(

mister_gosh fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 9, 2009

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Here's a stupid newbie question from someone who's fiddling with MySQL for the first time. I've just set up a small database with a single table that contains the following columns:

-Name
-Day
-'Working' - A single-character value (Y/N) on if that person is going to be working that day or not

Four people are listed in this table so far, with their working / non-working days set up. The goal is to be able to ask the database for the next day that persons 1, 2, 3, and 4 will all have off at the same time, based on this data This query should also only check today's date, or days in the future. All days in the 'day' column are in the SQL "DATE" format (i.e. 2009-02-09).

Unfortunately, I'm about stumped at how to do this. The closest query string I've worked out is:

code:
SELECT *
FROM   table
WHERE  name IN ('person 1','person 2','person 3', 'etc')
       AND WORKING = 'N'
       AND DAY >= (CURDATE());

Obviously though simply this displays all records where the specified people aren't working - it doesn't filter them out based on dates. What I'm looking for is a way to make the resulting output show *only* hits where the specified people all have the same day off.

I feel like I'm missing something stupid with this for what should be such a simple thing, but after trawling the net for the last couple of hours with no productive result (aside from a headache from my attempts to toy around with the 'GROUP BY' and 'HAVING' arguments), I thought I'd ask to see where I'm aiming wrong.

var1ety
Jul 26, 2004

Parias posted:

Here's a stupid newbie question from someone who's fiddling with MySQL for the first time. I've just set up a small database with a single table that contains the following columns:

-Name
-Day
-'Working' - A single-character value (Y/N) on if that person is going to be working that day or not

Four people are listed in this table so far, with their working / non-working days set up. The goal is to be able to ask the database for the next day that persons 1, 2, 3, and 4 will all have off at the same time, based on this data This query should also only check today's date, or days in the future. All days in the 'day' column are in the SQL "DATE" format (i.e. 2009-02-09).

Unfortunately, I'm about stumped at how to do this. The closest query string I've worked out is:

code:
SELECT *
FROM   table
WHERE  name IN ('person 1','person 2','person 3', 'etc')
       AND WORKING = 'N'
       AND DAY >= (CURDATE());

Obviously though simply this displays all records where the specified people aren't working - it doesn't filter them out based on dates. What I'm looking for is a way to make the resulting output show *only* hits where the specified people all have the same day off.

I feel like I'm missing something stupid with this for what should be such a simple thing, but after trawling the net for the last couple of hours with no productive result (aside from a headache from my attempts to toy around with the 'GROUP BY' and 'HAVING' arguments), I thought I'd ask to see where I'm aiming wrong.

Two solutions follow.

code:
select min(dte) AS min_dte
  from (SELECT dte
          FROM test t
         WHERE name IN ('person 1', 'person 2', 'person 3', 'person 4')
           AND WORKING = 'N'
           AND dte >= trunc(sysdate)
         group by dte
        having count(*) = 4)
code:
select min(dte) AS min_dte
  from (select dte,
               max(case when name = 'person 1' then name else null end) AS person_1,
               max(case when name = 'person 2' then name else null end) AS person_2,
               max(case when name = 'person 3' then name else null end) AS person_3,
               max(case when name = 'person 4' then name else null end) AS person_4
          from test
         where name IN ('person 1', 'person 2', 'person 3', 'person 4')
           and working = 'N'
           and dte >= trunc(sysdate)
         group by dte)
  where person_1 is not null
    and person_2 is not null
    and person_3 is not null
    and person_4 is not null

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
With MSSQL there is a PRINT commands that sends messages back to the client to print in the messages area. Is there a way I can replicate this with PostgreSQL (or Greenplum)?

I could use Select 'message here' for a final message, but I would like to output the current time and location in a script at different places in the script while it's running.

pikes
Aug 9, 2002
:o
I have a question about grouping, I can't seem to get this to work right even though it seems like it should. Basically my query currently pulls data that looks like this:

code:
Customer | BeginDate | StartDate  | EndDate   | Week | Volume

1          2/23/2009   2/2/2009     2/9/2009     -3      500
1          2/23/2009   2/9/2009     2/16/2009    -2      600
1          2/23/2009   2/16/2009    2/23/2009    -1      700
1          2/23/2009   2/23/2009    3/2/2009      0      800
1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      900
1          2/23/2009   3/9/2009     3/16/2009     2     1000
1          2/23/2009   3/16/2009    3/23/2009     3     1100
I'm overly simplifying but this is my current aggregation of data on volume (sum(volume)) and grouping on everything else. Basically what I want the aggregation to do is aggregate all data before week 1 into week 1. What I tried to do is something like this:

code:
--This basically says "if the start date is before the start date on week 1
--, use week 1's start date else use the current week's start date"
case 
when StartDate < dateadd(wk, 1, BeginDate) 
then dateadd(wk, 1, BeginDate) 
else StartDate as StartDate

--This basically says "if the end date is before the end date on week 1
--, use week 1's end date else use the current week's end date"
case 
when EndDate < dateadd(wk, 2, BeginDate) 
then dateadd(wk, 2, BeginDate) 
else EndDate as EndDate

--If the week is less than one make it 1
case when week < 1 then 1 else week end as week
Ok so my Aggregation should look like this:

code:

1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1     3500
Instead it looks like this:

code:

1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      500
1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      600
1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      700
1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      800
1          2/23/2009   3/2/2009     3/9/2009      1      900
I think I've explained what I'm trying to do enough, any ideas on how to achieve this? Using sql server 2005.

edit: well crap I think the reason it's not working right is I'm changing it in my select but not in my group by :|

edit2: Fixed breaking tables and yeah I didn't group right. I didn't think of using CTE's... maybe I'll use them and see if improves performance, thanks!

pikes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 12, 2009

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Please fix table breakage.

You might want to use derived tables. Here's a hint:
code:
select  *
from    (
    select  Customer, StartDate, Week = max(Week), Volume = sum(Volume)
    from    Your_Table
    group by Customer, StartDate
)t
If you still can't figure it out, put your data in CTEs like I do with the sample data here. That way I'll be able to very easily write queries against it and be able to help you.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I am in the process of cleaning up our website code and moving all the queries from the pages into stored procedures and I'm running into a performance issue for the query on our invoice lookup page. If I run a query like so:

code:
SELECT <Field list> 
FROM Table
WHERE Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = '12345'
It runs in 0 seconds, but if I have the following in a stored procedure:

code:
DECLARE @filtertype varchar(10);
DECLARE @filtervalue varchar(20);
SET @filtertype = 'purchaseorder';
SET @filtervalue = '12345';

SELECT <Field List>
FROM Table
WHERE
     CASE
        WHEN @filtertype = 'purchaseorder' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
        WHEN @filtertype = 'invoicenumber' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Number = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
     END = 1

The query then takes 10+ seconds. I don't know if there is another way to do a selective where clause for the page, since the user can pick several different criteria to query against. Any ideas how the query optimizer handles those CASE statements and how I can get the performance up? The fields are indexed if that is any help.

XerØ
Aug 6, 2001

Don't you mean...BIZARRO?

golgo13sf posted:

Stuff

Theoretically, separate procs might be a cleaner solution, but I'd like to see the database design underneath this proc just to see why you need to query like this.

The most flexible solution would probably be Dynamic SQL. It'll perform better than conditional where clauses. Just be sure to use sp_executesql to execute your query and not EXEC. I hate Dynamic SQL as much as any DBA, but sometimes you have to grin and bear it.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Could you explain in English what your query is trying to do? It's getting a bit meta and it's clouding the design/intention of your code.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

XerØ posted:

Theoretically, separate procs might be a cleaner solution, but I'd like to see the database design underneath this proc just to see why you need to query like this.

The most flexible solution would probably be Dynamic SQL. It'll perform better than conditional where clauses. Just be sure to use sp_executesql to execute your query and not EXEC. I hate Dynamic SQL as much as any DBA, but sometimes you have to grin and bear it.

Here is a screen shot of the invoice search area on our site

So there are several fields one could use to find an invoice, like say this pseudocode

code:
SELECT all invoices 
WHERE the invoice date is in January with the a driver's name of "Mike" and the invoice is unpaid
ORDER BY the invoice date in descending order.
I mean, the code works, it just runs like rear end, it's taking 50-70 seconds to run.

Here is the full stored procedure code (sanitized), sorry if it breaks tables
code:
ALTER PROCEDURE PROCEDURE_NAME 
	-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
	@datesearchtype VARCHAR(10),
	@startdate DATETIME = NULL,
	@enddate DATETIME = NULL,
	@invoicepaidtype VARCHAR(10),
	@filtertype VARCHAR(20),
	@filtervalue VARCHAR(100),
	@sortfield VARCHAR(50),
	@dir VARCHAR(4)

AS
BEGIN
	-- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
	-- interfering with SELECT statements.
	SET NOCOUNT ON;

/*GET THE INVOICES*/
    SELECT i.[InvoiceID], i.[Invoice_Number], i.[Invoice_Date], s.[Store_Number], d.[Driver_Name],
		v.[Vehicle_Make_Year], v.[Vehicle_Make], v.[Vehicle_Model],
		l.[License_Tag_State], l.[License_Tag_Number], i.[Invoice_Total_Amount],
		(dbo.i.Invoice_Total_Amount - dbo.i.Prepaid_Total_Amount +
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalDiscounts + dbo.i.Invoice_TotalAdjustments - 
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived) AS [Invoice_Balance],
		(i.[Invoice_TotalDiscounts] + i.[Invoice_TotalAdjustments]) AS Invoice_Discount,
		 i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived, i.[Invoice_Rule_90], i.[Invoice_Rule_97], i.[Invoice_Rule_95]
    FROM dbo.i INNER JOIN
		dbo.s ON dbo.i.SiteID = dbo.s.SiteID INNER JOIN
		dbo.d ON dbo.i.FleetID = dbo.f.FleetID INNER JOIN
		dbo.l ON dbo.i.LicenseID = dbo.l.LicenseID INNER JOIN
		dbo.v ON dbo.i.VehicleID = dbo.v.VehicleID INNER JOIN
		dbo.d ON dbo.i.DriverID = dbo.d.DriverID LEFT OUTER JOIN
		fp ON i.[InvoiceID] = fp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN
		pp ON i.[InvoiceID] = pp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN
		dp ON i.[InvoiceID] = dp.[InvoiceID] LEFT OUTER JOIN	
		ci ON i.[InvoiceID] = ci.[InvoiceID]
    WHERE 
		CASE --FILTER WHERE CLAUSE
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[FleetID] = @filtervalue  THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetcode' THEN CASE WHEN f.[Fleet_Code] LIKE '%' + @filtervalue + '%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetname' THEN CASE WHEN f.[Fleet_CompanyName] LIKE '%' + @filtervalue + '%' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'disputedreference' THEN CASE WHEN dp.[DisputedPendingID] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'fleetpaymentnum' THEN CASE WHEN fp.[FleetPaymentID] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'invoicenumber' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'storenumber' THEN CASE WHEN s.[Store_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'driver' THEN CASE WHEN d.[Driver_Name] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'vehiclemake' THEN CASE WHEN v.[Vehicle_Make] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'vehiclemodel' THEN CASE WHEN v.[Vehicle_Model] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'license' THEN CASE WHEN l.[License_Tag_Number] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'ponum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_95] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'authnum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_97] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @filtertype = 'servicecardnum' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Rule_90] = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1
		AND 
		CASE /*INVOICE DATE TYPE WHERE CLAUSE*/
			WHEN @datesearchtype = 'service' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Date] >= @startdate AND i.[Invoice_Date] <= @enddate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @datesearchtype = 'paid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] >= @startdate AND i.[Invoice_Paidon] <= @enddate THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1 
		AND
		CASE --PAID/UNPAID/ALL INVOICE WHERE CLAUSE
			WHEN @invoicepaidtype = 'paid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			WHEN @invoicepaidtype = 'unpaid' THEN CASE WHEN i.[Invoice_Paidon] IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
			ELSE 1
		END = 1 
	GROUP BY i.[InvoiceID], i.[Invoice_Number], i.[Invoice_Date], s.[Store_Number], d.[Driver_Name],
		v.[Vehicle_Make_Year], v.[Vehicle_Make], v.[Vehicle_Model],
		l.[License_Tag_State], l.[License_Tag_Number], i.[Invoice_Total_Amount],
		(dbo.i.Invoice_Total_Amount - dbo.i.Prepaid_Total_Amount +
		 dbo.i.Invoice_TotalDiscounts + dbo.i.Invoice_TotalAdjustments -
		  dbo.i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived),
		(i.[Invoice_TotalDiscounts] + i.[Invoice_TotalAdjustments]), i.Invoice_TotalPaymentsReceived,
		i.[Invoice_Rule_90], i.[Invoice_Rule_97], i.[Invoice_Rule_95]
	ORDER BY 
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN i.[Invoice_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN i.[Invoice_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Date' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Invoice_Date' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Store_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN s.[Store_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Store_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN s.[Store_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Driver_Name' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN d.[Driver_Name] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Driver_Name' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN d.[Driver_Name] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Make' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Make] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Make' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Make] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Model' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Model] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'Vehicle_Model' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN v.[Vehicle_Model] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'License_Tag_Number' AND @dir = 'asc' THEN l.[License_Tag_Number] END ASC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = 'License_Tag_Number' AND @dir = 'desc' THEN l.[License_Tag_Number] END DESC,
		CASE WHEN @sortfield = '' THEN i.[Invoice_Date] END ASC;

END

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

golgo13sf posted:

I am in the process of cleaning up our website code and moving all the queries from the pages into stored procedures and I'm running into a performance issue for the query on our invoice lookup page. If I run a query like so:

code:
SELECT <Field list> 
FROM Table
WHERE Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = '12345'
It runs in 0 seconds, but if I have the following in a stored procedure:

code:

SELECT <Field List>
FROM Table
WHERE
     CASE
        WHEN @filtertype = 'purchaseorder' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Rule_95 = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
        WHEN @filtertype = 'invoicenumber' THEN 
            CASE WHEN Table.Invoice_Number = @filtervalue THEN 1 ELSE 0 END
     END = 1

The query then takes 10+ seconds. I don't know if there is another way to do a selective where clause for the page, since the user can pick several different criteria to query against. Any ideas how the query optimizer handles those CASE statements and how I can get the performance up? The fields are indexed if that is any help.

I would look at the query execution plans. I bet the second version isn't using a good index because it is not sargable in the query. Might see if you can use IF, something like this (untested):
code:

IF @filtertype = 'purchaseorder'
  SELECT <...> FROM atable WHERE Invoice_Rule_95 = @filtervalue
ELSE
IF @filtertype = 'invoicenumber'
  SELECT <...> FROM atable WHERE Invoice_Number = @filtervalue

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

camels posted:

stuff...

The query execution plan shows a clustered index seek on the [i] table of 42%, and 2 clustered index scans of 9% and 12%, which is what I'm sure is the killer. Looks like I'm going to have to go and make sure the indexes are all set up properly, and if that doesn't work, try rewriting with 'ifs' instead of 'case' statements.

On that note, the jackass that did the majority of the work on creating this db went loving nuts setting up indexes, like the same column is defined multiple times on the index screen, the PK is indexed more than once, etc. Is that a performance hit, or is SQL smart enough to only index the column once even though it is defined multiple times?

If anyone else has any solutions, I'm all ears.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

golgo13sf posted:

On that note, the jackass that did the majority of the work on creating this db went loving nuts setting up indexes, like the same column is defined multiple times on the index screen, the PK is indexed more than once, etc. Is that a performance hit, or is SQL smart enough to only index the column once even though it is defined multiple times?

It will eat some space, including increasing the size of backups, and slow down UPDATEs as well as backup and restore operations. Even if all these are marginal, getting rid of the duplicate indexes can make it easier to write and tune queries.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Which engine are you using? Superfluous indices should only hurt write speed, never read. Also, I have this heavy, HEAVY bias AGAINST stored procedures that try to dynamically write SQL. Not done properly, it hinders the engine's ability to cache the query plans. Either offload all of the SP logic into regular programming space and execute them there, or study what ways your SP can be rewritten to take advantage of caching. Definitely make sure that your engine is caching right after you run the query, because if it isn't, that's the problem.

The gulf between "what query I want" vs "what is actually run" shouldn't be that wide.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Triple Tech posted:

I have this heavy, HEAVY bias AGAINST stored procedures that try to dynamically write SQL.
I haven't fully vetted this, but: http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search-2005.html

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I feel like it is going to be difficult to ever get a good plan if you smoosh everything into one query because the filter types change what indexes are important, and that is something that will make parameter sniffing highly hit or miss.

So maybe this is actually a good time for dynamic sql and sp_executesql.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
There are going to be tradeoffs and it might just turn out that you don't care about the "slight" performance hit. Measure, measure, measure!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Victor posted:

I haven't fully vetted this, but: http://www.sommarskog.se/dyn-search-2005.html

This is very interesting and I think it is what I am going to end up doing, too bad we don't have SQL 2008, as it looks like it would be able to optimize my original query.

edit:

I rewrote the query using the method in the link, and it runs obscenely fast.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a little app which posts data to a database, and includes a smalldatetime timestamp marking when the application is run.

For charting and historical trend purposes, I only care about the data collected by the last run in each day - if the app was run once at 10 AM and then again at 1 PM, I would like to remove the 10AM data from the table.

I don't need anything too specific, just a general idea of how I would search through and remove those 10AM rows. My guess would be to chop the smalldatetime into pieces and compare each one, but I'm a sql noob, so I turn to you, the internet, for help.