Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

happyelf posted:

ugh this is probably it, the whole result will be that the writer's favorite character gets a cool new ride

Still sore all those stupid paladins died like the chumps they were, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
Earlier in the thread: I wonder if V will become a lich.

Now in the thread: Hmmm...The imp said he could probably teleport a lich. I know! Xykon!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

bison wings posted:

I see what you guys are saying about Xykon, but think about his character a bit. I'm not sure if anything motivates him beyond "I felt like it". He's currently trying to destroy creation and/or watching his TiVo. He doesn't listen to his own war meetings and has killed his own minions on plenty of occasions. What does a favor from a much less powerful wizard or an imp get him? An excursion to elf lands to fight an ancient dragon had better have some real in the moment benefits for him.

Isn't there a gate in the elf lands? Or was that the one that burned down?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Taber posted:

Earlier in the thread: I wonder if V will become a lich.

Now in the thread: Hmmm...The imp said he could probably teleport a lich. I know! Xykon!

There's no way V could complete the rituals in time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shyrka posted:

Considering the dragon would have teleported right on top of V's family, they're probably already dead in the time it took for that conversation with the imp.
Of course not, talking is a free action! You can spend hours debating strategy in the middle of a turn!

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

Zereth posted:

Of course not, talking is a free action! You can spend hours debating strategy in the middle of a turn!

well, whatever they decide, the Imp still has to teleport AND accomplish his task. If he teleports to Xykon and somehow convinces him/it to help, there is a second teleport that needs to happen. By then the dragon should be batting around the elves as if they were wounded mice.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, but these are the heros, and I am sure Elan could lecture you greatly on the Law of DraMatic Effect.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I thought that V might become a Lich, but it was said that the rituals are too long. What exactly are the rituals?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

tazman posted:

I thought that V might become a Lich, but it was said that the rituals are too long. What exactly are the rituals?

Unless more recent editions have changed things, it's unclear/up to the GM. How long they take isn't actually specified, but it's described as a deliberate and unspeakably evil process. I'd think most GMs would probably rule that the rituals themselves take anywhere from several hours to several days, and the necessary preparations take weeks or months.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Start of Darkness outlined Xykon's becoming a lich. Making the magic item took four months, but once it was made the spell was pretty much instantanious.
Of course, Xykon enchanted the phylactery himself (the four month process), not sure if it has to be done by the spellcaster who's going to use it or not.

(This is pretty moot anyway, I'm certain V will never become a lich.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon is awesome. He's dumb as poo poo and has the attention span of a hyperactive mouse hopped up on crack cocaine, but that's part of the fun.

Xykon is an amusing side character, but he's the sort of personality who is really only engaging as a side character and for the way he interacts with the main storyline. A strip that was just about Xykon would rapidly get tiresome and dull because he'd pretty much never get poo poo done.

Redcloak is much more interesting of a personality.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Ashcans posted:

Xykon is an amusing side character, but he's the sort of personality who is really only engaging as a side character and for the way he interacts with the main storyline. A strip that was just about Xykon would rapidly get tiresome and dull because he'd pretty much never get poo poo done.

Yeah, this. There's a reason Start of Darkness followed Redcloak rather than Xykon. For an engaging narrative you need to have a character with some depth and scope for development, which Xykon just doesn't.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashcans posted:

This is entirely true, but it doesn't change the basic fact that Xykon is awesome.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon is awesome. He's dumb as poo poo and has the attention span of a hyperactive mouse hopped up on crack cocaine, but that's part of the fun.

Well, as he said in an earlier strip he can't make new magic items for more than 8 hours a day and he doesn't need to sleep or eat. You'd get bored out of your mind too.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

My favorite is Belkar more than Xykon. He's always got great quips. This drawn out split-up story arc is getting on my nerves unless Belkar is in it. Everyone else is flailing, but he's getting action from the thieve chick he just met. Even when they just refer to him it's funny, like the hypothetical offspring of Sauron and Cruella De Vil.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey new strip!

:siren::siren:

Looks like Disintegrate (x4) might've been the four words after all.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I took special notice of the ...

Varsuvius posted:

An hour?!? My adopted progeny will be long dead by then, imp!
... proves her kids are adopted and a gay/lesbian relationship is still on the table ;)

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

poo poo just got real.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
On the one hand, I don't want Vaarsuuvius to be lost to evil. On the other hand, I want to see him gently caress that dragon up with crazy magicks.

Either way, I am excited.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey new strip!

:siren::siren:

Looks like Disintegrate (x4) might've been the four words after all.

"I cannot fail again."

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Wolfsheim posted:

On the one hand, I don't want Vaarsuuvius to be lost to evil. On the other hand, I want to see him gently caress that dragon up with crazy magicks.

Either way, I am excited.

V might not get lost to evil. Faustian deals tend to be more along these lines:

Devil: "Here's all the power in the world for the rest of your mortal life. Go gently caress that dragon up, kid."

V: "I accept your terms" (or any other 4 words)

Devil: "I hope he gets there in time. We really need a new baker in Hell."

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Is it just me or did we get some form of confirmation that V is a male in this strip? The imp did say Mr. Elf, sir, right. Unless he's just saying that as a guess...

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
The 4 words thing will be the actual dealmaker. All the imp did was get approval to make a deal.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Seluin posted:

"I cannot fail again."

See also: "I require power, NOW!"

Your guess has a more dramatic ring to it, though.

EDIT:

tazman posted:

The 4 words thing will be the actual dealmaker. All the imp did was get approval to make a deal.

Yeah, but it's so fun to speculate on! And at least we're leaving out the idea of it being four words that aren't in succession in their conversation...

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
Ugh . . . He's going to Gay Male route.
I don't have a problem with the fact he would be gay, I would have a problem with the fact that everyone seems to be using that as a new twist to surprise people, and gain some attention.
I'm personally hoping for an early elven onset of Menopause. Because, I have always held the opinion that V is female, and I want to be able to say that I was right.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
There ARE plenty of couples who adopt that arent gay you know!

If anything I find it funny because it throws you off that teensy bit more. Ha!

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

Rennej posted:

Is it just me or did we get some form of confirmation that V is a male in this strip? The imp did say Mr. Elf, sir, right. Unless he's just saying that as a guess...
NPCs have used pronouns for V before, using their best guesses. I seem to recall a conversation between Nale and Sabine about V where one used 'he' and one used 'she' throughout.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Tag Plastic posted:

NPCs have used pronouns for V before, using their best guesses. I seem to recall a conversation between Nale and Sabine about V where one used 'he' and one used 'she' throughout.

The party does too, when V's not alienating them. Roy, for instance definitely thinks/thought V was a man. Haley trusts V enough to share a room, so I'm guessing she thinks V's a girl, and oh god, we're turning into THAT forum, aren't we?

V is "It's Pat." That is all.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

so does the Imp get a finders fee or a bonus of some sort for brokering this deal?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I see you guys keep mentioning something about "four words," but I'm drawing a blank as to what you're referring to. I think I vaguely remember something similar from the oracle?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I see you guys keep mentioning something about "four words," but I'm drawing a blank as to what you're referring to. I think I vaguely remember something similar from the oracle?

Yeah, the Oracle said something to the effect that V would gain 'ultimate power' by saying the right four words, at the right time, for all the wrong reasons.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You'd figure saving your kids and uh, civil union partner would be far off the "for all the wrong reasons" track.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm really, really gobsmacked that people don't accept that the four words were "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind.". It's practically spelled out on the very next page.

V said the right four words (above), to the right being (Kubota, executing him, which even Elan admitted was probably for the best), for all the wrong reasons (just because Elan tied him up, and then only for the sake of expediency and his own personal convenience). This leads to the argument to Elan that makes him leave for the island-- then the dragon jumps him, scoots off to kill V's kids, and boom he has to sell his soul for ultimate power.

Had he left Kubota alive to stand trial, none of this would have happened.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

You'd figure saving your kids and uh, civil union partner would be far off the "for all the wrong reasons" track.

Maybe it could be considered "for all the wrong reasons" when the kids are already dead by the time he finishes the ritual. :(

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I wonder if this means we're going to get back to the central plot soon-ish. The devils V's dealing with know about the gates, and the price for their assistance is likely to include V getting to a gate asap and handing it over to them.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

Maybe it could be considered "for all the wrong reasons" when the kids are already dead by the time he finishes the ritual. :(

Yeah, generally revenge is considered a "wrong" reason. V's having a bad month or so.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I wonder what sort of power they will/can give V, do any sourcebooks cover this?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

I wonder what sort of power they will/can give V, do any sourcebooks cover this?

Sounds like a variant on a ring of three wishes scenario to me. The outcome will depend entirely on how much of a dick the GM feels like being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Affi posted:

Fiendish Codex II covers this in some detail. There's two types of pacts - Pact Insidious and Pact Certain. Pact Insidious typically covers numerous small/middling favours over a period of time in exchange for the mortal performing various lawful evil acts that inexorably nudge them towards damnation, typically without the mortal realising it.

Pact Certain is likely what V's getting, where the mortal gets one large reward/service in exchange for their soul upon their demise (which the devil typically will try to ensure as soon as possible once the pact has been signed, since repentant mortals can have such pacts annuled by an Atonement spell). The typical reward for a 12th level PC (I think that's what V is) for signing such a pact would be either 6,000XP (half the XP needed to go from level 12 to level 13), 52,800gp (assuming standard PC wealth by level is followed, since it's 60% of current wealth), or additional feats/spell slots/ability score increases (a feat is worth 4 'points', a spell slot of any level is 3, and a +1 increase to any ability score is 5 - a Pact Certain typically offers 7 points to play with).

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if this means we're going to get back to the central plot soon-ish. The devils V's dealing with know about the gates, and the price for their assistance is likely to include V getting to a gate asap and handing it over to them.

Well, Sabine's a Succubus, so the Imp is probably on the opposite side as her. Although if demons know about the gate then surely devils do as well.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 15, 2009