Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

unicr0n posted:

I just jailbroke my 2G iPod Touch and it was successful, however I was told I could run a non firmware restore to get my purchased apps and music back onto the ipod, I've tried this twice now and it seems to 'brick' the ipod each time.

Is there a trick to doing this or should I just reset everything up?

I did the same and had the same result. I ended up just setting it up as a new iPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Loztblaz posted:

I did the same and had the same result. I ended up just setting it up as a new iPod.

Yeah it's easy enough to re-add Apps and Music, the main thing that really pissed me off is that I lost all my Stanza books :(

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Anyone have any recommendations for software that I can use to pull all my songs off my ipod on to my hard drive? Just had a hard drive burn on out me that had all my itunes music and heard there is a way to pull it off the pod itself.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Litch991 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for software that I can use to pull all my songs off my ipod on to my hard drive? Just had a hard drive burn on out me that had all my itunes music and heard there is a way to pull it off the pod itself.

https://www.getsharepod.com should do the trick for you

half goon half god
Dec 30, 2006

give the past a slip

Neco posted:

A couple of questions because I bought my iPod Touch in Australia and want to sell it in Germany:

Is there some kind of nanny-state volume limit in Australia like in the EU? If not, that would be a good selling-point. It's pretty loud in my opinion.

Can you redeem your warranty in Europe too?

Australian iPods don't have the volume-limit thing. And as far as I know, the warranty for iPods is worldwide, like Macbooks.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
What all can a jailbroken touch do that a normal one can't?

Pretty much everything I wanted to do I could find a free app for except viewing photos and pdfs (itunes automagically scales down high res photos, which sucks when you painstakingly screencapped google maps of your entire city so you'd never be lost even when you had no wifi... but being able to load up all my bus schedules was nice though)

The only thing I'd really want is the ability to run VLC... I hate having to reencode a movie if I wanna watch it on the touch. Is that possible?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

GregNorc posted:

What all can a jailbroken touch do that a normal one can't?

Pretty much everything I wanted to do I could find a free app for except viewing photos and pdfs (itunes automagically scales down high res photos, which sucks when you painstakingly screencapped google maps of your entire city so you'd never be lost even when you had no wifi... but being able to load up all my bus schedules was nice though)

The only thing I'd really want is the ability to run VLC... I hate having to reencode a movie if I wanna watch it on the touch. Is that possible?

i haven't used it but there is a vlc app on cydia. also theming (video wallpaper, new sliders/lockscreen/icons) and emulators. although the emulators i've tried are still pretty lovely.

there is a new release of redsn0w that is semi tethered, it only boots the jailbreak if you put it in dfu mode, and if it crashes it boots up to stock firmware so you aren't without an ipod. you need to do a restore though, whether you've jailbroken or not. I haven't tried it because I've only had it crash once since i've jailbroken and don't feel like restoring again.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
There's also an app that was mentioned earlier that allows you to download youtube videos to the iPod.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I have Morrisey's "Greatest Hits" and Wesley Willis's "Greatest Hits" and amusingly the IPod gets confused and sticks all their songs under the same album.

^ Youtube downloader is called MXTube, its ace

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in here but if you get the iPhone earbuds, you can actually get voice going on the Touch. Useful for making VOIP calls and using some random applications that require recording. :)

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Grimes posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in here but if you get the iPhone earbuds, you can actually get voice going on the Touch. Useful for making VOIP calls and using some random applications that require recording. :)

Are they somewhat decent quality?

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
My college forces me to download Clean Access Agent to get on the Internet but my iPod 2g keeps yelling at me saying that i need to update java and then it won't update. Will jail-breaking let me download the CAA or java or bother or will it just not work with an iPod?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Grimes posted:

Is this 2G only?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Grimes posted:

Can you use Shazam with them?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If anyone is confused by the steps to make redsn0w semi-tethered work on Windows, this video is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGZpRNf4WE

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
Just picked up a 2G 32gig touch! I'm not typically impressed by new technology but this thing is amazing. I want to get the most out of it (primarily as an organizer) and am doing my research about jailbreaking it.

I was wondering if it's worth it to jailbreak right now. The idea of having it tethered doesn't appeal to me. How much of an inconvenience do you find having it tethered(or semi tethered)? Would it be recommended to wait for an untethered version or should I jailbreak "As soon as loving possible"?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

xamphear posted:

If anyone is confused by the steps to make redsn0w semi-tethered work on Windows, this video is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGZpRNf4WE

Is it worth it in the semi-tethered state? I know some (all?) of the stuff stops working when you turn the ipod off. Does turning it off mean completely powering it down or just pressing the power button to put it into sleep mode or whatever it is? I have completely powered it down only once.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 18, 2009

McShaggy
Sep 25, 2006

Stoven posted:

Just picked up a 2G 32gig touch!
congratulations. welcome to the club and enjoy.

Stoven posted:

I was wondering if it's worth it to jailbreak right now.
yes

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm about to break my iPod cherry and get a 32gig touch. I decided I'd like one for the birthday as my faithful iRiver HP140 is finally on its way out(still works amazingly well after 4 years but battery is nothing like it used to be). I've got about a week to go and I'm already impatient as gently caress to get my hands on this thing. I just plowed through this thread and I'm heading over to the Apps and Games threads in the near future.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Its time to upgrade my ipod from a 40gb 4th gen.

Am I better off getting a 8gb 1st gen barely used for $150 form SA mart, or $179 for a fresh refurb from the apple store?

Am I losing out by getting a 1G as opposed to saving more for a 2G?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Super Dude posted:

Is it worth it in the semi-tethered state? I know some (all?) of the stuff stops working when you turn the ipod off. Does turning it off mean completely powering it down or just pressing the power button to put it into sleep mode or whatever it is? I have completely powered it down only once.
Complete power down is required to lose jailbreak. Holding the top button down until it gives you the red "slide to power off" and doing that. Then when you next boot it, you won't have access to Cydia or any other jailbroken apps. It's totally worth it in my opinion, provided there's a jailbreak app you want to use. All that's required to re-jailbreak after a reboot is putting it back into DFU mode and running a single exe. It'll reboot and be jailbroken again. You don't have to redo the whole hack every time.

toplitzin posted:

Its time to upgrade my ipod from a 40gb 4th gen.

Am I better off getting a 8gb 1st gen barely used for $150 form SA mart, or $179 for a fresh refurb from the apple store?

Am I losing out by getting a 1G as opposed to saving more for a 2G?
That depends on how much you think you'd use the built-in speaker. I love mine, it's something I've wished iPods have had for a long time.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

xamphear posted:

That depends on how much you think you'd use the built-in speaker. I love mine, it's something I've wished iPods have had for a long time.

I love the internal speaker.. I never use it for listening to music, but for sounds to games and stuff like that I can't imagine living without it..

Also, the 2G touch is faster then the 1G hardware-wise. Plus I really love how thin and solid the 2G is.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

xamphear posted:

Well, I got a new stereo in my car with a USB plug, it only works with either a touch or a Classic/Nano. I mean I could just go and plug in via the aux port, but i was sorta debating just upgrading.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

xamphear posted:

It's totally worth it in my opinion, provided there's a jailbreak app you want to use.

What are some good ones?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Super Dude posted:

What are some good ones?

Backgrounder enables multitasking. Apps hide rather than closing, so you can open a stream playing app like the NPR one or Slacker Radio, hide it and keep listening while doing something else like mail or web.

There's a realtime background scrobber app that I love. It submits your plays to last.fm in either real time (when connected to wifi) or caches them for the next time you are connected.

There's also Installous but unless I'm very much mistaken, talking about that here would be against the rules.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

toplitzin posted:

Well, I got a new stereo in my car with a USB plug, it only works with either a touch or a Classic/Nano. I mean I could just go and plug in via the aux port, but i was sorta debating just upgrading.

If $50-70 doesn't seem that much to you I'd say go for the 2G. Small price and you get all they've talked about and more(I've heard battery life is quite a bit better, too).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
1G vs 2G: Don't forget about the shape while considering other features.

The 2G has the curved back and thinner edges. Personally, I don't like how it feels when I'm holding it -- the edges just feel too thin. I know some people will feel the opposite, and most won't care one way or another, but I'd suggest actually holding each version if possible before buying one.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

1G vs 2G: Don't forget about the shape while considering other features.

The 2G has the curved back and thinner edges. Personally, I don't like how it feels when I'm holding it -- the edges just feel too thin. I know some people will feel the opposite, and most won't care one way or another, but I'd suggest actually holding each version if possible before buying one.
I assume everyone uses a case for their ipods these days anyway, especially the ones with the ridiculous shiny chrome backs that apple still insists on using, despite the fact that they look dated now and everyone has hated it since day 1. In most cases you couldn't tell a 1g from a 2g.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ah, good point. Hadn't thought of that -- all I ever use on my iPods is a BestSkinEver.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've had my 1G in my pocket every day since I got it with just a stick on film over the screen. The back looks like brushed steel now. I knew it would be an exercise in futility to try and keep it scratch free, so I just assumed it would scratch and decided I didn't care. The front is still flawless (even the parts not covered by film).

I haven't tried Installous, but if nothing else I hope it makes enough of an impact to force Apple to allow time limited free trials of App Store apps. I think if you use it and really like an app, you should support the author of that app. Most of the apps can be had for the loose change in your car anyway.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

xamphear posted:

I assume everyone uses a case for their ipods these days anyway, especially the ones with the ridiculous shiny chrome backs that apple still insists on using, despite the fact that they look dated now and everyone has hated it since day 1. In most cases you couldn't tell a 1g from a 2g.

Like xamphear suggests, I never see anyone else on campus with an ipod or iphone who doesn't have it in some sort of case. The things are just too slippery and awkward to hold without one. I got a cheap silicone cover at radio shack for my 2G ipod, and it's easy to hold for gaming or on the go to listen to music or whatever, yet it's not too bulky to slip into my purse or my pocket.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

cocteau posted:

Like xamphear suggests, I never see anyone else on campus with an ipod or iphone who doesn't have it in some sort of case. The things are just too slippery and awkward to hold without one. I got a cheap silicone cover at radio shack for my 2G ipod, and it's easy to hold for gaming or on the go to listen to music or whatever, yet it's not too bulky to slip into my purse or my pocket.
Yeah, the slip factor of the thin touch with the slick chrome back is crazy. At least with the classics they had some bulk and you could grip the whole bottom portion of it without covering the screen or clickwheel. Trying to hold on to the touch and push your finger all over it without it flying out of your hand is quite the trick.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hillridge posted:

I haven't tried Installous, but if nothing else I hope it makes enough of an impact to force Apple to allow time limited free trials of App Store apps. I think if you use it and really like an app, you should support the author of that app. Most of the apps can be had for the loose change in your car anyway.
Yeah, between this and the Android store offering a 24 hour return period, that might provide enough pressure for Apple to make a change. Then again, they're Apple and they'll do what they goddamn want to and you'll like it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are we allowed to ask questions about how to jailbreak here? My ipod isn't doing what that guy's ipod in the youtube video is doing. He says the screen is all black in DFU mode, whereas mine has a charge cable and itunes logo symbol on the screen. I unplug and plug in the charge cable and the screen stays the same, and doesn't turn white. What am I missing?

edit: Now the ipod won't even turn on. It says that it's in recovery mode in iTunes, but when I try to hit recovery, it complains that the software for my ipod isn't available. Help?!

Nevermind, it just turned on again. I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong though.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 20, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Super Dude posted:

Are we allowed to ask questions about how to jailbreak here? My ipod isn't doing what that guy's ipod in the youtube video is doing. He says the screen is all black in DFU mode, whereas mine has a charge cable and itunes logo symbol on the screen. I unplug and plug in the charge cable and the screen stays the same, and doesn't turn white. What am I missing?

edit: Now the ipod won't even turn on. It says that it's in recovery mode in iTunes, but when I try to hit recovery, it complains that the software for my ipod isn't available. Help?!

Nevermind, it just turned on again. I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong though.
The way I get mine in DFU mode is to have it plugged into USB the whole time and then listening to the audio cues that XP makes when a USB device is either connected or disconnected.

Hold down Hold and Home until you hear the disconnect noise. Right when you hear it, let go of Hold. Keep holding Home until you hear the connect noise and then let go right away. The screen will be black, and you'll be in DFU mode.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

xamphear posted:

The way I get mine in DFU mode is to have it plugged into USB the whole time and then listening to the audio cues that XP makes when a USB device is either connected or disconnected.

Hold down Hold and Home until you hear the disconnect noise. Right when you hear it, let go of Hold. Keep holding Home until you hear the connect noise and then let go right away. The screen will be black, and you'll be in DFU mode.

Got it into DFU mode but my screen still isn't turning white.

And of course right as I post this my screen turns white.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Does anyone know if an app exists to control the touch from a PC?

See, when I'm sitting at my kitchen table drinking beer and my iPod is plugged into my stereo, sometimes I want to skip a song without getting up. Any ideas?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mintskoal posted:

Does anyone know if an app exists to control the touch from a PC?

See, when I'm sitting at my kitchen table drinking beer and my iPod is plugged into my stereo, sometimes I want to skip a song without getting up. Any ideas?

It's called Veency (through Cydia). Download whatever VNC client you use. I use tightvnc on my PC, I'm sure there is something similar out there for Macs. Just type in your ipod's ip and it will give you direct control. The one thing you can't do is simulate pressing the home button. That shouldn't really matter if you are just controlling music.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 21, 2009

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
I got two minor scratches on the face of my touch from putting it into my jacket pocket with my sunglasses :(

Is there any way to buff them out or something? They're very minor and not too easy to notice but they're definitely two small scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

ProdigalSon posted:

I got two minor scratches on the face of my touch from putting it into my jacket pocket with my sunglasses :(

Is there any way to buff them out or something? They're very minor and not too easy to notice but they're definitely two small scratches.

Its glass. I doubt there is anything you can do without making it worse.

• Locked thread