Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Nosir posted:

I once told my ex-girlfriend that i love guitar and music so much there was no way i could love her more. That didnt go over so well and it was not so much fun explaining my way out of that one.

Oh the things I've had to explain...

"Rest assured that I love my guitar more than you, and it if were softer I would sleep with it instead." (This was during a fight)

"Can you wait a couple of days for the anniversary gift? I know I just bought the amp, but I...miscalculated...my budget." (I ended up buying it on credit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Today I got one of these:

and also:

Now I can make some nice sounds :)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

pennywisdom posted:

Kinda expensive, but I couldn't be happier.

YESSSSS

Hope you like it. Pair this beast with a volume pedal = make whale sounds

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

A present for my wife for Valentine's Day, for being such a good sport when it comes to my guitar habit.

Holy poo poo, way to show the rest of us up.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Agreed posted:

Haha, Minto, no, this isn't a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it. I'll explain.

She played the upright bass from the age when she could enter orchestra all the way until she left high school - since the bass was on loan from her school, she couldn't take it with her, obviously. She made all-state first chair in her junior year, and was very passionate about playing. However, because she is on a full scholarship at her college (a teaching program at a very well respected teacher's college in the region) and she's going to graduate as a math&science teacher but has to fit in every requirement into a 4-year period for the scholarship, her schedule was packed from the moment she started classes her first semester and she couldn't play in the orchestra. That pretty much broke her heart because of how dedicated she was to the bass (and how much she really just loved to play it), and her bow, an expensive custom made bow, has sat unused since she graduated high school.

On our wedding day, an hour before we said our vows, she was fishing out her debit card to make the final payment on my THD Univalve. That's how much she loves me, and knows how much guitar means to me - I couldn't ask for a better partner, she respects my musical interests and encourages me within the outer boundaries of reason :). We had our first anniversary January 25th, and I've been making payments on this since last year, but now it's fully paid off and I signed for it with Fedex this morning. I know every guy says this, but she's the best girl in the world, and without her I don't know if I could make it. This is a very small thank you for the biggest and most wonderful part of my life.

Somebody's getting some thank-you sex.

I got it a couple weeks ago, but I got a Schecter Stiletto Classic in Amber Satin Finish. My loving employee discount is killing me. Or, it would be, if the prices I got things for weren't as obscenely good as they are. No actual pictures of it yet, but it is easily in the top 5 for best-looking tops on Stiletto Classics I've seen (which has been alot). Crazy flames in the middle, and spalt and burl anywhere that isn't flamey. The bridge on these is easily, in my preference, the best double-locking bridge ever.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

What's so awesome about that bridge? Looks like a pretty standard floyd to me?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Gramps posted:

What's so awesome about that bridge? Looks like a pretty standard floyd to me?

How it's made, how it feels, how it functions, how it performs. It's a proprietary Schecter/Gotoh Floyd system. Feels super heavy-duty, too. Like a brick shithouse.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Oh ok. Gotoh units are pretty killer. I'm an Ibanez edge man myself.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Gramps posted:

I'm an Ibanez edge man myself.

I don't have as much experience with Ibanez units as I'd like.

Usually, I'm a hard-tail kind of guy, but I really wanted a versatile axe with a recessed double-locking trem (I have a Killer Starrion with a double-locking trem, but it's not recessed, and a Parker Fly Mojo with a full-floating bridge, but it's not locking). I loving love this guitar, though. It's quickly become one of my favorite axes. Right now, it's one of those cases where if you asked me if I was stuck on a desert island with only one guitar, which it would be, the answer would be this one, with no hesitation. It's got the looks, the sound, the playability, and it just feels right.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

I don't have as much experience with Ibanez units as I'd like.

You'll have to seek out some older Ibanez RGs with either the original edge or lo pro edge bridges. Smooth as butter and impossible to knock out of tune when properly set up. The newer ones are pretty good too- I liked the edge pro, and my axe has an edge zero on it which absolutely never ever goes out of tune. It's pretty amazing. I just wish the counter springs were more adjustable- otherwise it's perfection.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I got it a couple weeks ago, but I got a Schecter Stiletto Classic in Amber Satin Finish. My loving employee discount is killing me. Or, it would be, if the prices I got things for weren't as obscenely good as they are. No actual pictures of it yet, but it is easily in the top 5 for best-looking tops on Stiletto Classics I've seen (which has been alot). Crazy flames in the middle, and spalt and burl anywhere that isn't flamey. The bridge on these is easily, in my preference, the best double-locking bridge ever.

get rid of the dagger on the headstock and make the lower horn less impotent and I'm there with you. :v:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

ZombiePeanut posted:

get rid of the dagger on the headstock and make the lower horn less impotent and I'm there with you. :v:

Man the impotent lower horn is where it's at! Otherwise, it would just look like a more rounded Bunker-esque double cut. I might get rid of the stiletto on the headstock; haven't decided yet.

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

Boss PS-3

I bought it so I can do a 5th Up -> 1 Oct Up pitch shift without having to resort to buying a bass whammy, which would've cost silly money. I just need an expression pedal for it now....

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Gene Ricman posted:

Boss PS-3

I bought it so I can do a 5th Up -> 1 Oct Up pitch shift without having to resort to buying a bass whammy, which would've cost silly money. I just need an expression pedal for it now....

I love all the crazy pedals Boss has made over the years..

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

Can you explain your signal chain for the midi thing? I'm kind of interested in getting a project bass or guitar and using it for midi control but I don't really know where to start.

if you have reaktor there is an ensemble called pitchreader. i have version 1.1 but i found this 1.12 http://www.patcharena.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=61&func=fileinfo&id=697

i havnt used this but vers. 1.1 works alright and it does have some pretty annoying latency but you can fiddle with it enough and get some good sounds out of it.

not quite MIDI guitar but its free and kind of fun

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

edit: this post was a crappy one, I made a new one down below~

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 15, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not directly music related... but I just bought this handy little gadget to help with soldering since I'm hopefully going to be starting up a little side-business within the next year ;)

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Just finished redoing my pedalboard, almost all my old effects are gone and replaced the actual board with the SKB one. Have a loop-master AB/Y switcher being built that will replace the Morley switcher.

I also got me a new map! Vox AC30CC1!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Pictures are a little blurry, but my cell phone camera is the only camera in the house at the moment. Glad I can finally do a post here!

Bought a MIM Fender Telecaster about a month ago

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

and just got a killer deal on a drumset off of craigslist, 500 bucks for the whole set. Ive been annoying the crap out of the neighbors all day long, heh

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

edit: woah table breaking images

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Scheter's are not really my thing but I like that one a lot. If it had a hard tail bridge I might like it even more.

Scarf posted:

Not directly music related... but I just bought this handy little gadget to help with soldering since I'm hopefully going to be starting up a little side-business within the next year ;)

Where did you pick that up, how much did it run etc? I do a lot of soldering work and that would come in very handy.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 15, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZoCrowes posted:

Scheter's are not really my thing but I like that one a lot. If it had a hard tail bridge I might like it even more.

Where did you pick that up, how much did it run etc? I do a lot of soldering work and that would come in very handy.

$8 at Thinkgeek.com under the gadgets/tools section.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

$8 at Thinkgeek.com under the gadgets/tools section.

I got mine for like $10 at radio shack.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Korg pitchblack pedal tuner:

Great little pedal. Accurate, simple to operate, easy to see on stage. I tried it out at a gig last night and it worked out perfectly.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

warwick5s posted:

I got mine for like $10 at radio shack.

I got mine for $2 at Harbor Freight, but that was on sale. Usually, HF sells 'em for $5.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm posting this because there seems to be the most gear heads in this thread, plus I'll edit in pics in a second.

I just got a Jackson Dinky with EMG HZ active pickups. I'm trying to put my emg 81 in the bridge but there is a problem.

The stock HZ has 5 wires, and its labeled as such,

Green: 1-
White: 1+
GROUND
Red 2-
Black 2+

So 5 wires hooking to it to it, it has 5 prongs for the connector.

Well my EMG-81 is only a 3 prong with White Black and Red. The connector for the HZ actually would fit right in the middle of the 81, so the Black and Green got skipped. Is this right? Basically match the black on the 81 to the ground and the white to the white and red to red and ignore the Black and Green?

So far it's not working, one way not at all and the other way really quiet. What do I need to do about the extra two(Green and Black(not ground)) wires that are in the stock Jackson if my EMG-81 only has 3 spot?

EDIT: WTF. Apparantly the EMG HZ is a passive pickup.....but it looks like an active and there is a battery in my guitar? Maybe it used to have actives, it is a used guitar. UGH.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 15, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adrian Finol posted:

Just finished redoing my pedalboard, almost all my old effects are gone and replaced the actual board with the SKB one. Have a loop-master AB/Y switcher being built that will replace the Morley switcher.

I also got me a new map! Vox AC30CC1!

So THAT'S what's holding up the scout patch :saddowns: Just kidding! :haw:

Are the tubescreamer and whammy pedals originals?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Bought a new keyboard stand today. Learned my lesson by buying a double X stand this time, instead of the single. Even just looking at my old one, it looks flimsy. This one can support my weight (I tried it, twice) so holding up a 10 pound moog will be no problem.

I also bought accessories and cleaning stuff I just put off for years. I shudder to think how much sweat has added up on my bass. I shudder again as I can't remember the last time I cleaned it.

I definitely haven't cleaned it 3 months before, and 3 months after I threw up on stage.

Oh my god.

Edit: Hoooooooly poo poo I forgot how much better my Jag gets when I polish the fretboard and the body. The chrome on the black is almost loving blinding. Also, I've never really played much with that guitar all, I'm afraid all the chrome will probably blind people.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 15, 2009

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Thorpe posted:

What do you think of your Cort Curbow? I've been eyeballing a 4 string just because I like the body shape.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The last post was a pretty crummy post that didn't explain anything about the Jason Becker, so I'm re-posting for the sake of making a better introduction of the pedal.

ProTone Jason Becker Distortion - Analog amp modeling in a pedal

First, this is the picture of the pedal I got.

They've changed the graphic to a different painting by his dad for the newer run of the pedals, I actually really like this graphic because of how the control colors correspond to the "elemental" association of the colors behind them, and the Burn and Drive controls are touching the fire and water, respectively. But the new ones look good too, and they're probably closer to Becker's general aesthetic style (check out his Peavey with its child-like appearance, he lived a great sense of humor in everything he did).

If you don't know Jason Becker's story, you ought to head over to the wikipedia entry on him, it's sad, poignant, and inspiring - I won't cheapen his life by giving a "short version" here. The pedal is made by Dennis, the sole proprietor of the Protone pedal company, and part of the proceeds go to Jason Becker's family and causes.

I've had it in for a day or two now from FuzzHugger, and while I'm reserving a full review for the edition-after-next of FrugalGuitarist, I wanted to bring a killer pedal to your attention. The goal is pretty common, I guess - make a Marshall in a box. In this case, it's aiming for an analog miniaturized solid-state recreation of the amp Jason Becker used to record his early album Perpetual Burn, but with additional gain on tap to achieve some of the higher gain tones he was using towards the end of his playing and recording career. Well, okay, not even counting the official Marshall pedals to that end, that's the Box of Rock, Crunch Box, Plextortion, Hot British, etc., etc., etc. - there are tons of Marshallesque pedals.

This one's different, though, in some important ways. First, all of the "volume" related controls on it have to do not just with output level but with the amount of crunch you get. The Master Volume on it behaves like an amp's master volume, increasing volume and then sort of reaching a maximum output point and past that increasing compression/distortion. It has a Pre-Amp gain control and a Drive control as well. All three of them interact to produce the final amount of distortion of the dirt side of the pedal. The other side of it is a class-A boost, very warm and clean, I love what it does to my single-coil strat (and to anything, really, it's a great boost). The boost has its own adjustable gain and is operable separate from the "amp" side of the pedal. I made a quick clip demonstrating it with my single-coil (Samarium Cobalt Noiseless-equipped) strat. For the FG review I'll have clips with a few different guitars of course.

The control scheme seems a bit complicated at first glance, but it's straightforward once you get it into perspective. It's got a control layout like a relatively simple, single-channel amp with an overdrive pedal up front. So you've got your EQ section, Lows, Mid, Highs - that's clear, tweak it like an amp. Then you've got your Pre-Amp gain and Master Volume. Those are the amp's own controls. Then there's the overdrive pedal control, which is just called "Drive." The final control, "Burn," is the boost control, so it's really just a one-switch/one-knob boost that happens to be attached to the rest. It's easy to get the hang of if you've ever played an amp more complicated than the Valve Jr.

Anyway, here's the clip, going for a "strat into a Marshall" tone.

Also make sure to check out Rusty Cooley's shredderific demo at the FuzzHugger page, good lord that guy can wail. If my playing is, say, a 5/10, he's about a 20/10. Never heard any of his original stuff, though.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'm posting this because there seems to be the most gear heads in this thread, plus I'll edit in pics in a second.

I just got a Jackson Dinky with EMG HZ active pickups. I'm trying to put my emg 81 in the bridge but there is a problem.

The stock HZ has 5 wires, and its labeled as such,

Green: 1-
White: 1+
GROUND
Red 2-
Black 2+

So 5 wires hooking to it to it, it has 5 prongs for the connector.

Well my EMG-81 is only a 3 prong with White Black and Red. The connector for the HZ actually would fit right in the middle of the 81, so the Black and Green got skipped. Is this right? Basically match the black on the 81 to the ground and the white to the white and red to red and ignore the Black and Green?

So far it's not working, one way not at all and the other way really quiet. What do I need to do about the extra two(Green and Black(not ground)) wires that are in the stock Jackson if my EMG-81 only has 3 spot?

EDIT: WTF. Apparantly the EMG HZ is a passive pickup.....but it looks like an active and there is a battery in my guitar? Maybe it used to have actives, it is a used guitar. UGH.

Yeah the HZs are passive so I'm not sure why there's a battery in there already. The EMG 81 wiring diagram is here: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/0230-0014a%20%20%20H%2060%2081%2085.pdf
As you can see, the connector for the 81 has only three slots, and with the arrow on the top the colour order should be red, black, silver (ie. silver is the bare wire). There are a number of different wiring diagrams but for a Dinky I think you'll probably be using #2 (1 volume, 1 tone, 1 HB in the bridge, and not using the pickup switcher cause you can't mix HZs and 81s to the best of my knowledge).

HZ diagram's here: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-H1-H4.pdf

Personally I'd just take the opportunity to clean the whole cavity out and rewire everything neatly, but if you're not too confident soldering you should be able to reuse some of the connections that are there already (although, according to the diagram, you'll need a 0.1uF capacitor instead of the stock 0.047uF one).

edit: hoep u got a stereo jack ...

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 15, 2009

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot
Hey I just bought this guitar from a pawn shop and I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a fender strat and it says Fender on the tuning pegs, but the headstock is weird-shaped and it's been painted, so it doesn't say anything on it.

Serial number decal says 8807277, which seems to be higher than any fender serial numbers I can find online. Any ideas?

Plays great whatever it is.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I have a similar looking guitar, it's like an epiphone fat strat knock off. Let me find a picture.

e: woops! headstock is a bit different. ignore this.

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 15, 2009

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

This is a very small thank you for the biggest and most wonderful part of my life.

Finally the impetus to hang myself. Gratz.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I pickup this earlier in the week (the neck holder, not the harmonica).

I can already almost play both the guitar and harmonica parts to Heart of Gold at the same time, which is way sooner than I thought I was going to be able to do it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Concatenation posted:

Yeah the HZs are passive so I'm not sure why there's a battery in there already. The EMG 81 wiring diagram is here: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/0230-0014a%20%20%20H%2060%2081%2085.pdf
As you can see, the connector for the 81 has only three slots, and with the arrow on the top the colour order should be red, black, silver (ie. silver is the bare wire). There are a number of different wiring diagrams but for a Dinky I think you'll probably be using #2 (1 volume, 1 tone, 1 HB in the bridge, and not using the pickup switcher cause you can't mix HZs and 81s to the best of my knowledge).

HZ diagram's here: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-H1-H4.pdf

Personally I'd just take the opportunity to clean the whole cavity out and rewire everything neatly, but if you're not too confident soldering you should be able to reuse some of the connections that are there already (although, according to the diagram, you'll need a 0.1uF capacitor instead of the stock 0.047uF one).

edit: hoep u got a stereo jack ...

Yeah I'm just gonna hold off for a bit and buy a 89 active so I can just have a whole active set in there. I was looking at the battery and it looks like someone just left it in there to complete a circuit when they put passives back in. I'm just gonna pay to have my active set put in, along with a setup and stuff.

Here is pics though.

Sorry for camera phone but it's the best I could do right now. It's a Dinky series, I only paid 265 for it and it's in great shape. It's such a huge huge improvement over my 100 dollar peavey.

EDIT: Oh yeah one thing driving me crazy is the strings on it are fairly light, so tuning 1 step down is out of the question, which is how I always play. Oh well, standard for now. I learned raining blood and Welcome Home for the bitching harmonics that guitar can pull off so sweetly.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 15, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BlazinLow305 posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna hold off for a bit and buy a 89 active so I can just have a whole active set in there. I was looking at the battery and it looks like someone just left it in there to complete a circuit when they put passives back in. I'm just gonna pay to have my active set put in, along with a setup and stuff.

Here is pics though.

Sorry for camera phone but it's the best I could do right now. It's a Dinky series, I only paid 265 for it and it's in great shape. It's such a huge huge improvement over my 100 dollar peavey.

EDIT: Oh yeah one thing driving me crazy is the strings on it are fairly light, so tuning 1 step down is out of the question, which is how I always play. Oh well, standard for now. I learned raining blood and Welcome Home for the bitching harmonics that guitar can pull off so sweetly.
Clean your loving apartment.

Jacksons are pretty awesome, even if they aren't one of the more sought-after guitar brands.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I know this shouldn't be the thread for this kind of stuff, but we don't have a gear suggestion thread that gets any traffic, so here goes:

I'm looking for the kind of sound from Andy Timmons' track "Resolution" off the album with the same name (You can hear it at the Mesa/Boogie website in their factory tour video). I know Andy Timmons uses a Lone Star, but I've got nowhere near that kind of scratch. I guess I just like that warm overdriven sound.

So I had my heart set on a Deville 410 Combo for a while now, and I'm getting ready to buy it through zZounds' Play as you Pay program in a month or so, but I want to know if there are any suggestions that would give me a similar sound to that track?

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

quote:

Serial number decal says 8807277, which seems to be higher than any fender serial numbers I can find online. Any ideas?

Plays great whatever it is.

I'm positive it's a samick. At least the neck is. The old samicks had headstocks just like that, and they played a lot better than the newer ones.

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot

Howling Bells posted:

I'm positive it's a samick. At least the neck is. The old samicks had headstocks just like that, and they played a lot better than the newer ones.

I think you're right. It's funny because I also have a Samick Silvertone and the necks are identical, except the pawn-shop guitar has an additional fret. The Fender tuning pegs I can now see were put on aftermarket - there are extraneous screw holes in the headstock where the original pegs used to be.

Mystery solved I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I know this shouldn't be the thread for this kind of stuff, but we don't have a gear suggestion thread that gets any traffic, so here goes:

I'm looking for the kind of sound from Andy Timmons' track "Resolution" off the album with the same name (You can hear it at the Mesa/Boogie website in their factory tour video). I know Andy Timmons uses a Lone Star, but I've got nowhere near that kind of scratch. I guess I just like that warm overdriven sound.

So I had my heart set on a Deville 410 Combo for a while now, and I'm getting ready to buy it through zZounds' Play as you Pay program in a month or so, but I want to know if there are any suggestions that would give me a similar sound to that track?

I think a blackstar ht-5 could get you where you want to go-low wattage, fat, tube driven tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbmrjqOjsAE&feature=related (great example of picking dynamics around 3:20)

There are plenty of youtube clips...they sell the head at guitar center for $299. I tried one out the other day and was stunned at how tight it could get for high gain applications. It did some GREAT inbetween sounds too...