Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My helmet is quite prone to fogging. I bought some anti-fog spray that gets polished on the inside, works decently. I also find wearing a balaclava helps since I breathe through the fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
It was in the mid forties today here in Wisconsin, so I got out my KLR and took it for a spin. I barely got it started and coolant temperature never got up very high when on the highway. It does not seem to be a cold weather bike. It was fun though, its been 4 months since I last rode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was tempting to fire the bike up yesterday, but its still too drat salty out here.

Where in Wisconsin are you? Milwaukee here.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If I wasn't six hours away from my KDX, I would have had it out in the snow yesterday. 43 degrees was warm enough for me to wear shorts, so it was definitely warm enough for a ride.

And then this morning I get an email from my dad telling me he's going ice racing. Not having my bikes are the one thing I hate about college.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Woooo first ride of the season was yesterday!

One to three inches of snow due tomorrow. :(

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

It was tempting to fire the bike up yesterday, but its still too drat salty out here.

I am up in the wautoma area or sometimes appleton.

Yeah its still salty, but I had to take it out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phat_Albert posted:

Salt, potholes, giant puddles of water, snow+ice in some places still.

If I had a dollar for every dumbfuck that called me yesterday wanting to ride...

:argh:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Seriously, if you ride motorcycles and don't live in California

You're

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

doing

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

it

wrong.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An equally persuasive argument could be made that if you're living in California you're doing it wrong.

Not that I have any beef with Cali, but there is plenty of amazing riding elsewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

An equally persuasive argument could be made that if you're living in California you're doing it wrong.

Not that I have any beef with Cali, but there is plenty of amazing riding elsewhere.

All I can say is...year round racing and riding. Wera races 12 months of the year.

There's a lot that sucks about Cali...but I wouldn't trade the weather and the riding community in the bay area for the world.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A foot of snow just landed with a FOOMPH outside my window, so yeah I wouldn't mind a vacation in California right now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pr0zac posted:

You're

doing

it

wrong.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

January 2nd 2009. GOD BLESS TEXAS

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pr0zac posted:

You're

doing

it

wrong.

could have gone bigger but didn't want to break tables ;)

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

blugu64 posted:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

January 2nd 2009. GOD BLESS TEXAS

Majority of America riders dont know how lucky they have it. *sigh*

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Took my klr out again today.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I couldn't really go faster than 25mph on packed snow, it got a little too squirrelly for me.
The snow is still way too deep to ride else where.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

It is also really hard to upright a bike on pure ice.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
How do you guys stay warm on long trips? I am planning to do a 3 hour trek in 30 degree weather on saturday to bring a bike home.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Layers. Lots of layers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

How do you guys stay warm on long trips? I am planning to do a 3 hour trek in 30 degree weather on saturday to bring a bike home.

Heated grips! Never gonna have a bike without them again. :glomp:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

Yeah well HA!

Click here for the full 1048x1551 image.

Edit: Wait... I think I did that wrong.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 10, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Way to completely misrepresent your situation. There are incredible mountain roads 40 miles to the east and west of you. We Florida riders weep in jealousy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

As mentioned, layers. Also put your gear on and wave your arms and legs around outside. Anywhere you can feel wind is going to get really, really cold.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The last time I was attending a training class in Kali I tried to rent a bike, Eaglerider took my reservation and then :argh: they said "so sorry no Sportster for you!"

Bastards. I was looking forward to a ride through wine country.

I did get to wander around Ness cycles in Dublin, well, it was within walking distance of the hotel. I should have checked to see if they had a rental fleet.

I did rent a Neon. Enterprise, $12.59 a day, unlimited mileage, flogged the crap out of it, 850 miles worth. Kali is a fine place to visit but I don't know how anyone affords to live there.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Quick question: I have a 250cc Honda Nighthawk, and about 3mo of riding. Just two weeks ago I finally tried driving on the highway, and it went just fine (to my pleasant surprise). So I've done some basic 5-10mi trips in the Austin area. Speed limit is 55 in the city portions of I-35, and I've hit 65 when passing, etc.

Tomorrow I have an appointment about 60mi north of Austin on I-35. I was thinking to take the bike up, since it's pretty much just a straight interstate shot, so once I get and hold 55-65mph it should be pretty boring and easy.

Does this sound like a bad idea? Is a 250cc Nighthawk just really not a bike for taking onto the interstate between cities? The main downside I've noticed is that I really feel the wind pushing me hard up around 60+mph, and if I tilt my head much at all to head-check the drag increases considerably.

So, first-time 60 mile trip (and first time driving 60+mph for an extended period) tomorrow morning, or just take the car?

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The main downside I've noticed is that I really feel the wind pushing me hard up around 60+mph, and if I tilt my head much at all to head-check the drag increases considerably.
This is something that you get used to. My bike doesn't have any sort of front fairing or windshield at all and when I first went above 60 it felt like it was going to tear my head off. Just stay relaxed and loose on the bars and tuck down a bit if you need to. It might make you look stupid but in my experience it does significantly reduce the wind fatigue.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Quick question: I have a 250cc Honda Nighthawk, and about 3mo of riding. Just two weeks ago I finally tried driving on the highway, and it went just fine (to my pleasant surprise). So I've done some basic 5-10mi trips in the Austin area. Speed limit is 55 in the city portions of I-35, and I've hit 65 when passing, etc.

Tomorrow I have an appointment about 60mi north of Austin on I-35. I was thinking to take the bike up, since it's pretty much just a straight interstate shot, so once I get and hold 55-65mph it should be pretty boring and easy.

Does this sound like a bad idea? Is a 250cc Nighthawk just really not a bike for taking onto the interstate between cities? The main downside I've noticed is that I really feel the wind pushing me hard up around 60+mph, and if I tilt my head much at all to head-check the drag increases considerably.

So, first-time 60 mile trip (and first time driving 60+mph for an extended period) tomorrow morning, or just take the car?

Interstate riding isn't very much fun in my opinion and better left to cars. If its possible to find an alternate route through the back roads I'd highly recommend it.

The wind against you will get better with more time at high speeds on the bike. Some sort of bike muscles grow in your neck and back and after a while the wind doesn't bother you at all. I can happily cruise all day long at 75mph and not notice the wind at all but I remember it bothering me a lot when I first started riding.

The Nighthawk will get you to 65mph on the highway, but it doesn't have much to give after that, especially on an incline. Personally I wouldn't feel all that comfortable with my own 250 in an Interstate situation, and its a two stroke with more power than your Nighthawk.

Again, the back roads will be a much better trip. Plan your route to take you through a few small towns so you can fuel up and eat some beef jerky. Leave early so you don't have to rush, enjoy the sights. Find some twisty roads and plan a longer, funnner route for the way back. Taking the back roads isn't fun on a car but its some of the most enjoyable riding you'll ever do on a bike. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

8ender fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 10, 2009

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

8ender posted:

Taking the back roads isn't fun on a car but its some of the most enjoyable riding you'll ever do on a bike. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

The best riding I've ever done was me simply heading out in some random direction and then whenever I felt like it stopping at a crossroad and picking whichever direction looked the least traveled.

It helps to have a GPS unit to find out how to get back home though :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

It helps to have a GPS unit to find out how to get back home though :)

Aw heck no. It is a adventure. :downs: (As long as you don't run out of gas)

My dang klr has had the engine out flappin in the wind for the past couple of nights. I'm reasonably certain a doohickey change isn't supposed to go this long but I keep hitting stuff I should have had or known about beforehand and can't rectify until the morrow. If I'm like this with one of the most popular and well-supported bikes in north america I shudder to think how I'd handle a moto guzzi.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Tap - Don't forget your earplugs.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Well if there's one thing they never get in the Alps, its snow

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
UPDATE: weather was bad anyway, so just took my car. But when I went back I went for an evening ride up into the Hill Country west of Austin for a few hours. Got some really good practice on sharp turns and steep hills, some practically vertigo inducing.

It did, however, really hammer home the limitations of the bike. I hasten to point out that this little 250cc is totally fine for all urban tasks I forsee ever doing, but it took most of my throttle to get up some of those really steep little hills on the backroads. On a good straightaway I can hit 65 reasonably quickly, but to hit the 80mph nominal top speed I'd need a pretty good stretch of clear road.

Further, as mentioned above, right around 60mph the wind resistance really starts affecting me, it feels like someone is just steadily pushing on my head and chest. Tucking helps a fair bit, but not perfect. The lightness of the bike is probably a factor there.

More reasons to get something with a little more guts when I upgrade, though again it is 100% acceptable for "drive down to campus, then hop on I-35 and go five exits south to visit a buddy" urban-type stuff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

UPDATE: weather was bad anyway, so just took my car. But when I went back I went for an evening ride up into the Hill Country west of Austin for a few hours. Got some really good practice on sharp turns and steep hills, some practically vertigo inducing.

It did, however, really hammer home the limitations of the bike. I hasten to point out that this little 250cc is totally fine for all urban tasks I forsee ever doing, but it took most of my throttle to get up some of those really steep little hills on the backroads. On a good straightaway I can hit 65 reasonably quickly, but to hit the 80mph nominal top speed I'd need a pretty good stretch of clear road.

Further, as mentioned above, right around 60mph the wind resistance really starts affecting me, it feels like someone is just steadily pushing on my head and chest. Tucking helps a fair bit, but not perfect. The lightness of the bike is probably a factor there.

More reasons to get something with a little more guts when I upgrade, though again it is 100% acceptable for "drive down to campus, then hop on I-35 and go five exits south to visit a buddy" urban-type stuff.

You're in Austin right? If so make some time sometime to ride out to marble falls in the morning, and eat lunch on the river. It's great.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

You can get a windscreen to help with the pushing feeling. Here's some for the Nighthawk: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/322/ (scroll down)

I put one on my naked SV and was pretty happy with it for the short time I had it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Product review:

Heli bars: http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB4009b

I got these for my '08 ZZR-600, and had them installed yesterday. They required no modification of the stock lines/cables.

They don't look like much, but HOO BOY is there a big difference in riding position. I don't have to sit nearly as far forward on the seat, so there is much more cushion under my rear end. Since I'm not leaning as far forward, I get a lot less fatigued when riding in low-speed traffic. $200 is pretty steep, but well worth it in my opinion.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zenaida posted:

You can get a windscreen to help with the pushing feeling. Here's some for the Nighthawk: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/322/ (scroll down)

I put one on my naked SV and was pretty happy with it for the short time I had it.

I really like this one:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2084/322/

Next $100 I come across and I might get one...

...EDIT: poo poo, $45 mount kit "required." That sort of loses it for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Am I late? Just came across this. Copy/paste

"kid puts up craigslist ad for stuntin' lessons, has experienced riders show up...video and severe forum e-thuggin follows, as well as selling his bike haha"

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/113-stunt-bike-videos-reviews/244741-midcal-stunters-idol-riders.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5660837409269107975&hl=en

Fortunately they were "midcal." Don't want any of that bad rep here in So Cal, ya know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Am I late? Just came across this. Copy/paste

"kid puts up craigslist ad for stuntin' lessons, has experienced riders show up...video and severe forum e-thuggin follows, as well as selling his bike haha"

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/113-stunt-bike-videos-reviews/244741-midcal-stunters-idol-riders.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5660837409269107975&hl=en

Fortunately they were "midcal." Don't want any of that bad rep here in So Cal, ya know.

Oh god, what the gently caress.

The "yut uggghhhh" bit is hilarious though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what cause i send heaters and bangers and 223 lol nigga for all you know thats my address gently caress you all you all are faggots and aint gonna amount to shittttttttttttttttttttttt shoow up or shut uppp i aint no bitch ill show you faggets wsuppppppppppp

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
At the risk of sounding like a total wuss: are highway cloverleafs pretty freaky until you get used to them?

I've been expanding my comfort zone over three months of riding, and now feel fine taking my 250cc Nighthawk onto I-35, running with traffic at 65mph, etc. Feel pretty good taking it on curvy rural backroads, etc.

However, the thing that still freaks me the gently caress out is those high cloverleaf ramps. You know, these things:

Here in Austin, some of those are about the height of a five-story building. And given my height on a bike, if I hit the guardrail there's a good chance I'm going over it.

I've tried warming up to it by doing some really low (like 1 story) ramps with not too much curve, and doing it in light traffic with my brake lights flashing as I take the curve sloooowly.

Is this a normal thing to be concerned about until you get accustomed to it, or is it a weird fixation?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
It's just something that you'll eventually get more comfortable with. Hell, in time, you'll end up loving them (especially at night), as they're nicely predictable radius corners, with proper (or no) banking, and usually really nicely paved. The traffic is also always going the right way on them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Those ramps look fun. My two favourite ones are the A38 into Birmingham off the Southbound M6 and the westbound M4 onto Norhtbound M5. Both of those still freak me out every so often, party because you can almost look sideways and see cars directly beneath you. But Simkin is right, you will get used to them, it's just a matter of practise.