Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

orsowned posted:

QUICK QUESTION
I have an old pioneer sx780 silverface receiver and i would like to place my technics sl d-202 turntable directly on top of it. will the heat from my receiver damage my turntable?

I'd be more worried about blocking ventilation for the receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay, I tried asking this in the Blu Ray megathread but didn't really get a satisfactory response. I have a PS3 hooked up to a Harmon-Kardon AVR 146 receiver. I connect my audio from the PS3 to the receiver via optical. Same for my 360. I can get 5.1 surround from my games and DVDs, but not my Blu Rays. Supposedly the Blu Ray discs in question have Dolby 5.1, but I'm unable to find an option to select that.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I have a sweet surround set up and I'd like to be able to experience it with my high def movies. Does anybody have any ideas about why this is happening? Maybe something to do with my PS3 audio settings?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

DrNutt posted:

Okay, I tried asking this in the Blu Ray megathread but didn't really get a satisfactory response. I have a PS3 hooked up to a Harmon-Kardon AVR 146 receiver. I connect my audio from the PS3 to the receiver via optical. Same for my 360. I can get 5.1 surround from my games and DVDs, but not my Blu Rays. Supposedly the Blu Ray discs in question have Dolby 5.1, but I'm unable to find an option to select that.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I have a sweet surround set up and I'd like to be able to experience it with my high def movies. Does anybody have any ideas about why this is happening? Maybe something to do with my PS3 audio settings?

Is blu-ray audio playback set to PCM or Bitstream in the ps3's settings? Try putting it at bitstream.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fahrvergnugen posted:

Is blu-ray audio playback set to PCM or Bitstream in the ps3's settings? Try putting it at bitstream.

Thanks, I will give this a try when I get home.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Are there ANY 2.1 systems out there I can use on a TV just to get better sound? It seems like all the 2.1 systems I find are actually more expensive than 5.1 systems. At this point I'm seriously considering just getting a receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I'm also looking at sound bars but those too are minimum $300-400. Craziness!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dracon Wolf posted:

Are there ANY 2.1 systems out there I can use on a TV just to get better sound? It seems like all the 2.1 systems I find are actually more expensive than 5.1 systems. At this point I'm seriously considering just getting a receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I'm also looking at sound bars but those too are minimum $300-400. Craziness!
If you don't want surround, you could get away with a power amp like this or this and a set of bookshelf speakers/passive studio monitors, or powered studio monitors like this or a pair of these. What's your price range?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 19, 2009

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You could get a little gizmo digital amp and av123 etl525's for $299 plus shipping right now as a special. The gizmo is 25w x 2 and gets more than loud enough. The mini amp has a crossover and variable sub out that works perfect for a 2.1 setup if your tv has a variable volume output.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Identity Thief posted:

I just finished hooking up and installing a true 7.1 surround system that utilizes all toslink connections between components with M&K front, sides, & rear and a Velodyne 12in woofer. Now, my music sounds truly amazing, especially since the amp uses an "Audyssey" self calibrating system where you place a microphone in different places throughout the room and it sets the freq range and level settings of all speakers while emitting this annoying as gently caress submarine sonar sound.

Anyway, as I said my music sounds awesome. I'm hearing things in songs that I didn't know were there....but....

These are all songs that I have that are at 192khz on iTunes or similar, and none of these songs were specifically recorded for 7.1 (especially since I am currently listening to the Boston Symphony Orchestra's version of Bolero - while it sounds amazing, I doubt Ravel Bolero wrote the score to accommodate 2 front, 1 center, 2 side and 2 rear speakers with a sub.

I don't want a "test" cd - I want music that was developed by someone who intended on having it played on 7.1 -
Don't care if its techno, electronica, trance, jazz, classical, or new age - just as long as its not rap or country.

Any suggestions?

It isn't 7.1 but there is a bootleg DVD-A made from the never released Dark Side of The Moon 4 channel original master. Apparently it is of better quality than the official SACD in surround format. It sounds pretty incredible just listening to it downmixed to stereo on my modest setup of an Onkyo TX-SR504 and a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors. The disc/image file plays fine in my Philips DVD player outputting DTS to my receiver or from VLC outputting DTS (Or having VLC decode it and output stereo PCM) via my Macbook's toslink output.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 23, 2009

half goon half god
Dec 30, 2006

give the past a slip
I've just bought a 5.1 speaker system. The 3 plugs from the speakers are attached to a stereo audio cable via a stereo RCA adaptor (it came with the system), and that's connected to my TV's headphone jack via an RCA-3.5mm adaptor. It's connected this way because I prefer to control the TV's volume with the remote rather than the speaker volume knob, which seems to be the only option if the speakers are connected directly to the TV's stereo out plugs (Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm clearly not an expert).

What I want to know is whether it's still outputting the 5.1 audio from my Blu-Ray player that's connected to the TV via HDMI, or if it's just stereo because of the adaptors and how it's connected to the headphone socket. I don't really know how these things work. Or is there just a simpler way of doing the same thing?

Thanks for any help/advice you might have. :)

half goon half god fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 28, 2009

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

half goon half god posted:

I've just bought a 5.1 speaker system. The 3 plugs from the speakers are attached to a stereo audio cable via a stereo RCA adaptor (it came with the system), and that's connected to my TV's headphone jack via an RCA-3.5mm adaptor. It's connected this way because I prefer to control the TV's volume with the remote rather than the speaker volume knob, which seems to be the only option if the speakers are connected directly to the TV's stereo out plugs (Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm clearly not an expert).

What I want to know is whether it's still outputting the 5.1 audio from my Blu-Ray player that's connected to the TV via HDMI, or if it's just stereo because of the adaptors and how it's connected to the headphone socket. I don't really know how these things work. Or is there just a simpler way of doing the same thing?

Thanks for any help/advice you might have. :)

As far as I know you can't get 5.1 sound out of a headphone jack. You need to run a coaxial audio or optical audio cable (or HDMI) to get 5.1 sound.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

LordOfThePants posted:

As far as I know you can't get 5.1 sound out of a headphone jack. You need to run a coaxial audio or optical audio cable (or HDMI) to get 5.1 sound.

You are correct. Simple L/R audio connections via a headphone jack will only give you stereo, and pro-logic surround.

half goon half god, does your TV have a digital out of some sort? You will need to use that to get 5.1. Some TVs will pass it from the HDMI out, some wont, you will need to check.

You will have to control the volume by the speaker setup as well. Are you trying to use computer speakers?

half goon half god
Dec 30, 2006

give the past a slip

LordOfThePants posted:

Mighty Horse posted:

You are correct. Simple L/R audio connections via a headphone jack will only give you stereo, and pro-logic surround.

half goon half god, does your TV have a digital out of some sort? You will need to use that to get 5.1. Some TVs will pass it from the HDMI out, some wont, you will need to check.

You will have to control the volume by the speaker setup as well. Are you trying to use computer speakers?

Thanks for the responses guys. It appears that my TV does have an optical out port, according to the manual.

You got me, Mighty Horse, I am using computer speakers. I'm trying to work on a budget and they were the best I could get for the time being to replace an old stereo I was using. Does that mean I'm unable to get 5.1? It's not a big deal if that's the case, I just thought I'd see whether it would work or not.

half goon half god fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 2, 2009

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm in the market for an MP3 player that is not an iPod. I've been using a Sansa e280 for a couple years now and I like it but it's getting pretty beat up; the screen is starting to go and within the last few months it has started to have some serious lagtime trying to play my large MP3 files (recorded radio shows, Opie and Anthony specifically).

I've been looking at a Cowon IAudio 7 but heard stories about it being so touch sensitive that you can't hardly touch it without lock on, and that Cowon's firmware updates like to brick the device.

Anyone own one? I know I'm asking more anonymous people on the internet but I'd rather hear a goon's opinion on usability. Is it easy to seek through tracks? My Sansa makes me want to shoot myself since it seeks so loving slow through my large MP3's.

TL;DR - So the Cowon iAudio 7, how good is it, does it handle large MP3s well, does it seek well?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I had a ~10 year old speaker system composed of simply a CD/tape/FM receiver and two speakers. The receiver died and now I don't have any way to use the speakers. I was wondering if there is a way to somehow connect the speakers to my computer. I recognize they need to be powered somehow, so if it's any consolation I have one of those altec lansing IM7 portable speaker things which may or may not help at all.

If it's not possible, can anyone recommend a cheap amp/receiver that will power the speakers?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

thehandtruck posted:

I had a ~10 year old speaker system composed of simply a CD/tape/FM receiver and two speakers. The receiver died and now I don't have any way to use the speakers. I was wondering if there is a way to somehow connect the speakers to my computer. I recognize they need to be powered somehow, so if it's any consolation I have one of those altec lansing IM7 portable speaker things which may or may not help at all.

If it's not possible, can anyone recommend a cheap amp/receiver that will power the speakers?

It'd help a lot if you described the speakers in question.. at least their rated nominal RMS wattage accepted and at what impedance?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Sniep posted:

It'd help a lot if you described the speakers in question.. at least their rated nominal RMS wattage accepted and at what impedance?

Aiwa Speaker System Model No. SX-NAV800
Music Power 80 Watts
Impedence 6 Ohms

AssumptionBulltron
Oct 6, 2007

AssumptionBulltron fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 25, 2013

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

thehandtruck posted:

Aiwa Speaker System Model No. SX-NAV800
Music Power 80 Watts
Impedence 6 Ohms

Something like this should work just fine for those.

Or this to step up - I personally own the AMP-100 and it's a beast. Very worth it but not sure what you are looking to spend.

Edit: Ignore the stupid title of the first item on amazon, the model is PCA2.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 8, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Wandering around Circuit City today I found an orphaned center speaker from a Samsung HTQ70 HTIB. They let me have it for a couple of bucks and I want to use it as a center speaker for my television. It has two small speakers inside and each speaker has a terminal but of course my receiver only has one output for a center speaker. The speaker is rated for 3 ohms. I can only guess that is 3 ohms for each speaker. Putting sound quality aside, can I actually use this thing, maybe with a little rewiring? My receiver is only rated for 6 or 8 ohms.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

wormil posted:

Wandering around Circuit City today I found an orphaned center speaker from a Samsung HTQ70 HTIB. They let me have it for a couple of bucks and I want to use it as a center speaker for my television. It has two small speakers inside and each speaker has a terminal but of course my receiver only has one output for a center speaker. The speaker is rated for 3 ohms. I can only guess that is 3 ohms for each speaker. Putting sound quality aside, can I actually use this thing, maybe with a little rewiring? My receiver is only rated for 6 or 8 ohms.

Wire the speakers in series, so from your TV to one speaker, from that speaker to the other, then back to your TV to make a 6 Ohm equivalent.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sund posted:

Wire the speakers in series, so from your TV to one speaker, from that speaker to the other, then back to your TV to make a 6 Ohm equivalent.

This was my idea from googling but I wanted to double check. Unfortunately my Polks are 8 ohm so I don't see this working out.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

wormil posted:

This was my idea from googling but I wanted to double check. Unfortunately my Polks are 8 ohm so I don't see this working out.
You should be OK. Leave the Polks alone and wire the centre channel through the two new speakers in series. Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Sniep posted:

Something like this should work just fine for those.

Or this to step up - I personally own the AMP-100 and it's a beast. Very worth it but not sure what you are looking to spend.

Edit: Ignore the stupid title of the first item on amazon, the model is PCA2.

Do you know of anything cheaper? I'm really not looking for quality in this instance. Also I heard there was a way to slice the speaker wires into auxiliary or RCA, is that an option?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

thehandtruck posted:

Do you know of anything cheaper? I'm really not looking for quality in this instance. Also I heard there was a way to slice the speaker wires into auxiliary or RCA, is that an option?

No, they need to be powered by something.

The aux/line out/RCA jacks/whatever you call them, give a very, very low current signal, that simply contains the "information" if you would about the audio signal. It's enough to transfer the audio signal from one component to another, but at some point that signal needs to be amplified so that it can actually drive the electromagnetic drivers that actually move the speaker cones.

I'm not sure what analogy might work for this for you, but I'll stick with the old standby. :iiaca:

When you turn on your turn signal in your car, the lever activates a relay. That relay converts the very low power signal that you give with the turn lever, and switches it into a high power signal that can power the turn bulbs. It's pretty much the same thing, when you have the headphone level / aux level output from your equipment, it's just the signal with very little power behind it. The speakers require actual power to drive the mechanical nature of how they operate, and that is what an amplifier does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sund posted:

You should be OK. Leave the Polks alone and wire the centre channel through the two new speakers in series. Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Wouldn't it be a problem if the center is 6 ohm and the rest of the speakers are 8 ohm? I can select 6 or 8 on the receiver. I have no idea how tolerant Pioneer receivers are for this sort of thing.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Sniep posted:

No, they need to be powered by something.

The aux/line out/RCA jacks/whatever you call them, give a very, very low current signal, that simply contains the "information" if you would about the audio signal. It's enough to transfer the audio signal from one component to another, but at some point that signal needs to be amplified so that it can actually drive the electromagnetic drivers that actually move the speaker cones.

I'm not sure what analogy might work for this for you, but I'll stick with the old standby. :iiaca:

When you turn on your turn signal in your car, the lever activates a relay. That relay converts the very low power signal that you give with the turn lever, and switches it into a high power signal that can power the turn bulbs. It's pretty much the same thing, when you have the headphone level / aux level output from your equipment, it's just the signal with very little power behind it. The speakers require actual power to drive the mechanical nature of how they operate, and that is what an amplifier does.

OK thanks for the help, I'll probably get the first one you mentioned.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I have a pair of T-20 Creative speakers. The left speaker fell on the floor and ever since gives a hissing sound when I turn up the volume. Now, I understand why this has happened but what I am perplexed at is when I plug in headphones I still get the hissing crackling sound in the left headphone or earplug. Why is that happening?

Ben
Mar 18, 2001
IF YOU'RE CRIPPLED, DON'T COME TO MY GOON MEETS. I'LL TOSS YOUR CRUTCHES IN THE LAKE
I want to build a pair of Dayton BR-1s from Parts Express, and have been trying to figure out how to drive them. Initially, I considered the SI Gen 2 T-Amp, but I'm worried that it may not be enough to drive the speakers without significant distortion as the speakers are rated at 82.5 dB 1 W/1 m and the amp hits 10% THD at full power (2x10 W). This will be for desktop/3 m listening in a 10'x13' room at reasonable levels, so I may not have much to worry about. Alternatively, I was also thinking about the Tweak City Gizmo but I don't know much about it.

I'm trying to keep the total system price within $300 and am open to suggestions for budget equipment, any comments? Additionally, would I be foolish to invest in a DAC (something like the Super Pro DAC707) as I'll be using my computer as the source?

Ben fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 10, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rated J posted:

I have a pair of T-20 Creative speakers. The left speaker fell on the floor and ever since gives a hissing sound when I turn up the volume. Now, I understand why this has happened but what I am perplexed at is when I plug in headphones I still get the hissing crackling sound in the left headphone or earplug. Why is that happening?

Do you plug your headphones into the left speaker? Then it's simple - some component located "before" both the speaker amp and the headphone amp has been damaged or come loose and is causing the noise. If you're plugging your headphones straight into the sound card and still getting noise, try disconnecting the speakers and see if the noise goes away.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
Hrmm...
I just moved my gear into a new cabinet/entertainment center, and in the process the optical cord going from my PS3 to my Onkyo receiver got tugged to the side and out of the reciever. When I fired things up I was no longer getting sound from the PS3. I made sure that the PS3 was outputting to the optical port, and I've made sure the receiver is looking for an optical/digital signal. I even tried setting it up for the second optical port. Looks like both of them are toast.

Is this A) a piece that can be replaced, and B) something that I could replace myself with a screwdriver and a little solder? I really want my multi-channel sound back, and my receiver doesn't seem to want to throughput an HDMI signal and accept sound from it at the same time.

Man I feel like an idiot.

Ben
Mar 18, 2001
IF YOU'RE CRIPPLED, DON'T COME TO MY GOON MEETS. I'LL TOSS YOUR CRUTCHES IN THE LAKE

Local Yokel posted:

Hrmm...
I just moved my gear into a new cabinet/entertainment center, and in the process the optical cord going from my PS3 to my Onkyo receiver got tugged to the side and out of the reciever. When I fired things up I was no longer getting sound from the PS3. I made sure that the PS3 was outputting to the optical port, and I've made sure the receiver is looking for an optical/digital signal. I even tried setting it up for the second optical port. Looks like both of them are toast.

Is this A) a piece that can be replaced, and B) something that I could replace myself with a screwdriver and a little solder? I really want my multi-channel sound back, and my receiver doesn't seem to want to throughput an HDMI signal and accept sound from it at the same time.

Man I feel like an idiot.
Simple question, have you tried a different fiber? Though most TOSLINK cables use plastic for the transmission medium, they're still susceptible to breakage. I can't really say about a homemade repair though.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

Ben posted:

Simple question, have you tried a different fiber? Though most TOSLINK cables use plastic for the transmission medium, they're still susceptible to breakage. I can't really say about a homemade repair though.

I'll swap the cable for another and see if anything changes. I can tell that light is still making it through the cable though (when the PS3 is on). I don't know if it's possible to get an incomplete or scrambled signal though the cable? Or is it one of those situations where any signal = working just fine?

Edit: That said, I'd still appreciate any input on the receiver end, as that's my best guess.

Ben
Mar 18, 2001

Local Yokel posted:

I'll swap the cable for another and see if anything changes. I can tell that light is still making it through the cable though (when the PS3 is on). I don't know if it's possible to get an incomplete or scrambled signal though the cable? Or is it one of those situations where any signal = working just fine?

Edit: That said, I'd still appreciate any input on the receiver end, as that's my best guess.
If that's the case, then maybe you do have a problem on the receiving end, though it's strange that both ports would be out (maybe an internal connection/trace was broken). It sounds like the cable PS3 output may be working just fine.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I wasn't sure if I should start a thread for this, so here's a quick question:
I'm looking at a pair of Yamaha NS-35T speakers locally. Are (were?) these speakers decent? Worth $100? Worth less than $100? Worthless?

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

From my issue a couple posts up...I tried running a different cable, and still no go. I think something has to be done with the receiver. I know electronics are considered somewhat disposable these days, but I really can't justify replacing this receiver after two years.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm looking for a cheap system that is basically just a speaker, iPod dock, line in, and bluetooth connection so I can listen to music from my Mac anywhere in the apartment. There was something like this on Amazon's Gold Box deal yesterday, but I missed it and now I can't find it again.

I suppose if I had to lose one thing, it would be the line-in, since between my iPod and the bluetooth connection I'm probably covered, but it would be nice to have.

Last time I asked about this people suggested the Airport Express, which is useless to me because I have nothing to hook it up to. I need some sort of all-in-one solution, does anyone have recommendations?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just a quick question, I really like the Onkyo SR-606, but I'm not sure if I need 7.1. Is there a comparable reciever feature wise (multiple HDMI in, Audio decoding over HDMI) that's cheaper and only 5.1?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm looking for a cheap system that is basically just a speaker, iPod dock, line in, and bluetooth connection so I can listen to music from my Mac anywhere in the apartment.
Was this it?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just a quick question, I really like the Onkyo SR-606, but I'm not sure if I need 7.1. Is there a comparable reciever feature wise (multiple HDMI in, Audio decoding over HDMI) that's cheaper and only 5.1?

I think it will just do 5.1 if that's what input it receives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ab0z posted:

I think it will just do 5.1 if that's what input it receives.

That makes sense, but I'm looking for maybe cheaper because it only does 5.1, but has the same processing capabilities. if not, 350 is not a bad price for it, I'm just trying to maximize my american dollars.

I need to buy a full set of speakers+sub too, so I need every penny I can save.