Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

I like gin, and I don't like hugs.
My kitty is limping a little bit when she walks. It's not every step, and she's not avoiding jumping on the bed or playing or anything. In fact she is currently running up and down the hallway. (Post-poop zoomies) My mom said to wait a few days and take her in if she does not get better. Should I take her in now or wait?

eta: I think it was just a leg cramp. She's fine now. I will keep watching but I don't think she's hurt.

aunt moneybags fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

Un-l337-Pork posted:

How do I get my newly adopted SPCA dog to sleep through the night? We just got her 6 days ago. We walk her in the morning and in the evening. She is some sort of beagle/retriever mix (or something like that) - 42lbs. She is out like a loving light by 8:30pm and she is fine until about 3:45am when she starts whining to be let out of her crate. I get up and take her out and put her back in her crate again and all is well, but ideally, the whole "wake up and take the dog out at 4 in the loving morning" thing could be avoided. I take her out right before I go to sleep. Usually, she doesn't pee, but sometimes she does. When I get up at 3:45am, of course, she goes right out and pees. She's 2 years old.

I'm hoping that she will just get used to our schedule of ~10pm -> 6am and be able to sleep the entire time; I'm assuming that since we've had her less than a week, she just hasn't fully adjusted yet, but if there's anything that I should be doing...

I would try to keep her up and playing until a little closer to your bedtime, to help move her schedule back a little. (Even if you do just have to wake her up sometimes to annoy her.) I would also limit her water intake during the evenings, just make sure she gets plenty all day. She'll get used to it eventually, but everything is still new.

I'm sure I don't have to say this, but also make sure that she doesn't ever think it is play time when you do take her out at way to early o'clock.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

aunt moneybags posted:

My kitty is limping a little bit when she walks. It's not every step, and she's not avoiding jumping on the bed or playing or anything. In fact she is currently running up and down the hallway. (Post-poop zoomies) My mom said to wait a few days and take her in if she does not get better. Should I take her in now or wait?

eta: I think it was just a leg cramp. She's fine now. I will keep watching but I don't think she's hurt.

When she calms down, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the leg in question-- maybe there's a little piece of something lodged in between her toes, or in her paw pad, or something.

PotetoFurai
Jul 25, 2007
It's really dry in my apartment and my kitty's nose is getting dry and scaley, starting to look like my knuckles. is it safe to rub some jergen's ultra moisturizing lotion on it or could that make him sick when he licks it off? Anything else I can do? I know my knuckles hurt so I can imagine his nose does.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

PotetoFurai posted:

It's really dry in my apartment and my kitty's nose is getting dry and scaley, starting to look like my knuckles. is it safe to rub some jergen's ultra moisturizing lotion on it or could that make him sick when he licks it off? Anything else I can do? I know my knuckles hurt so I can imagine his nose does.

I'm not sure if that stuff in particular would be okay for him. Plain vaseline would be fine, though.

Burnt Out Case
Oct 2, 2006

the revolution begins with two wheels
My wife and I are in the process of adopting a 1 old year shelter dog (chihuahua mix) to go with our 3 shelter cats who we have had for 5 years. We pick up Pepper on Monday, after she is fixed. In the meantime I am trying to get the place ready for her arrival. I put up a baby gate where the cats food and litter is, and they are not happy. I want to make this as painless as possible for them so I would like to use the smallest barrier possible to stop the dog from getting into their area. I guess I am wondering how low I can go with a barrier to keep a 11 pound dog out of the cat area?

One of my cats is very spry and jumped over with no problem. The other two seem to have trouble as they are bigger boned (not fat):colbert:. Any have any experience with this or tips? Maybe the dog will not be a fan of feces but most are it seems. :barf:

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

Burnt Out Case posted:

My wife and I are in the process of adopting a 1 old year shelter dog (chihuahua mix) to go with our 3 shelter cats who we have had for 5 years. We pick up Pepper on Monday, after she is fixed. In the meantime I am trying to get the place ready for her arrival. I put up a baby gate where the cats food and litter is, and they are not happy. I want to make this as painless as possible for them so I would like to use the smallest barrier possible to stop the dog from getting into their area. I guess I am wondering how low I can go with a barrier to keep a 11 pound dog out of the cat area?

One of my cats is very spry and jumped over with no problem. The other two seem to have trouble as they are bigger boned (not fat):colbert:. Any have any experience with this or tips? Maybe the dog will not be a fan of feces but most are it seems. :barf:

What about a top entry litterbox?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

PotetoFurai posted:

Would you like to lick your hands after you lotion them? Ick. Anything you put on the cats nose it might try to lick off so stay away from things with chemicals/not safe for consumption. It probably wouldn't kill him but it's not exactly good for him either and will taste nasty. My cats nose gets really dry too. I use Burts Bees chapstick on his nose. After I put it on I try to rub it in a bit with my finger so if he tries to lick at it, it wont all come off. All Burts Bees are all natural and the chapstick is mostly beeswax and honey if I remember correctly.

Burnt Out Case posted:

With the dog, it's possible he'll have no interest in the poo if it's been properly covered with litter. When we first got our cat we heard the dog go in the bathroom, yelp (she's a puss) and she came running out with litter all over her nose. I imagine she got a nose full of it. She hasn't touched it since. Just to be safe though we got a covered litter box so it's a bit more difficult/daunting for the dog to get into. We have a Clean Step litter box. At the entrance to the box there are stairs with little nubs on them that knock off the litter on the cats paws when they come out of it and the litter tray is to the side of the stairs so it's even more difficult for the dog to get at.

As far as the cat food, we put an old TV stand in our kitchen with their food on it. It's around 2.5 feet high so the dog can't get into their bowls. It also has wheels so you can move it for easy cleaning. You can find them for cheap at second hand stores and on ebay. You might even already have something similar that can be used as a platform for them. It will be easier for your cats to jump up to it instead of up and over a baby gate. It's also easier for you guys as you aren't always having to step over the gate or have it in the way blocking off hallways or floor space. Those kind of stands usually also come with a shelf or two on the bottom where you can store the bags of food and stuff. If your cats aren't messy eaters it doesn't have to go in the kitchen necessarily if enough space is an issue.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

My friends are having issues with their dogs barking nonstop when some one rings the doorbell and have only tried shouting at the dogs to shut up (naturally the barking continues) How exactly should they go about getting the dogs to be quiet when some one rings the doorbell?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

wigtrade.cc posted:

My friends are having issues with their dogs barking nonstop when some one rings the doorbell and have only tried shouting at the dogs to shut up (naturally the barking continues) How exactly should they go about getting the dogs to be quiet when some one rings the doorbell?

Positive reinforcement. During the moments the dogs are quiet after the bell has been rung give them a threat and praise them like it's the best thing ever. Pair it with a word like 'hush' or 'quiet'. Have someone else handy to stand outside and ring the bell so they can practice for 20 minutes or so a day. I had a hard time with this because my dog would go nuts when someone would knock or ring the bell. My boyfriend stood outside and when she'd go crazy barking I'd stand between her and the door with my back to her or towards her with no expression and my arms crossed. I'd move to block her from getting to the door if I could. Then during the small second she'd stop to take a breath I'd cram a treat in her mouth and talk excitedly in a high voice while giving her lots of pets and love then I'd open the door and my boyfriend would come in and do the same. Eventually the quiet moments got longer as she realized 'If I don't bark I get lovin's and a treat and the door opens!' Don't give the treat unless the dog is quiet and don't open the door (which is also a reward) until the dog is quiet. It takes time, patience and repetition.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

wigtrade.cc posted:

My brother-in-law was just telling me this morning that they got a new doorbell which sounds nearly identical to him, but the dogs don't bark anymore when it rings. Granted, thy will start again once they make the connections between "new sound = people at the door" so it doesn't really solve your problem, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Moving Walkway
Nov 24, 2006

Beware! The moving walkway is ending!
I just found out that I have ringworm.

I made an appointment at the vet to get my cat checked out tomorrow, but he seems fine. Am I being overly cautious? My doctor said that it was possible that it came from the cat, but I haven't seen anything resembling ringworm on the cat. It's no problem to take him in at all, but if I don't need to that's great too.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I got ringworm as a kid, I don't remember it being a big deal.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
If the cat has ringworm and you don't get it treated, you could end up getting a new case of ringworm from the cat just as you're getting over the current one. That would suck.

kevb0
Jan 10, 2005

We don't want no mooncheese babies
My upstairs neighbor has a 16 year old cat. We have a 12 year old dobermann/German shepard mix. We both think it'd be cute if they could be friends, however I'm not sure the best way to introduce them to each other. Our dog has never interacted with a cat, and I'm not sure how she'll react to such a small and fuzzy creature.

Is there any important advice? Is it worth it? What's the best way to introduce them, if at all?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

kevb0 posted:

My upstairs neighbor has a 16 year old cat. We have a 12 year old dobermann/German shepard mix. We both think it'd be cute if they could be friends, however I'm not sure the best way to introduce them to each other. Our dog has never interacted with a cat, and I'm not sure how she'll react to such a small and fuzzy creature.

Is there any important advice? Is it worth it? What's the best way to introduce them, if at all?
Probably not worth it. At best, it will be very stressful for the elderly cat, at worse, your dog will exhibit an extreme prey drive and kill it, or the cat will react violently and tear out your dogs eyes. If the 2 were forced to live together, there are ways for proper introductions, but as they are just neighbors, I suggest to leave it alone.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I have a cat query.

We own two cats. They're sisters, which we've had since they were about 14 weeks (they're 3 years old now). They're lovely cats, but they're really sketchy and terrified of everyone except myself and my wife. Any 'unfamiliar' noise will really put them on edge, and if anyone rings the doorbell then they freak out and hide for an hour. If we have people over, then they'll usually hide under the bed til they've left and usually stay there for a good few hours after, generally not returning to normal until the following day.

I'm just curious as to why our cats are like this.

They've always been this way but, admittedly, have probably gotten a bit worse in the time we had them (one in particular). They've certainly never been mistreated by us, and have an awesome life now, but was wondering if this sort of behavior could be caused by being mistreated when they were babies?

We bought the cats off a lady we found on The Gumtree (which is basically the UK version of Craigslist)....she seemed like a nice enough lady, but was clearly a bit weird and she had this big fat pudding of a daughter who kept trying to pick all the cats up, much to their distress. The parent cats were also sketchy cats, from what I could tell.

I guess my question is this..... does the fact that our cats are sketchy suggest that they were scared/mistreated before we got them? Or are some cats just prone to being spinners despite whether they're mistreated or not? Genetically destined to be scared of everything, perhaps?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

moron posted:

I guess my question is this..... does the fact that our cats are sketchy suggest that they were scared/mistreated before we got them? Or are some cats just prone to being spinners despite whether they're mistreated or not? Genetically destined to be scared of everything, perhaps?

Some cats are more prone to being skittish, regardless of what may have happened to them in the past. My first two cats from when I was a kid were littermates. Sammy wasn't exactly outgoing but she'd tolerate being petted by strangers (the only person she really liked was my brother), but Tommy was scared shitless by anyone not me. We got them both at the same time, raised the say way, but Tommy was just really shy.

And when I had Rin, same deal. Her brother Professor is Mr. Sociable and claims visitor's laps as his own as soon as they sit down, "helps" maintenance guys by rubbing all over their toolboxes, etc. Rin would bolt under the bed the second anyone knocked on my door and stayed there until they left.

If the Pudding Daughter insisted on picking up the cats when they were little whether they liked it or not, it could account for some of their shyness. They know you and your wife won't manhandle them so they're comfortable, but when stranges show up the reaction is "omg they're going to pick me up fleeeee!" and they hide. Or they could just be super shy cats.

Vanessie
Apr 29, 2004

Can you register a dog from another country's kennel club in a new country?

Example, say you want to show a UKKC registered English Bulldog that you actually bought from England in America?

Is there a huge taboo on this or something? I mean I would imagine this is actually really good for preserving a breed's integrity in a show ring, but if anyone remembers the Cruft documentary with the warped-as-hell-problem-ridden dogs maybe nobody cares about another country's standard if its not squished/short/pointyetcetc enough in a non-native show ring

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

Vanessie posted:

UKKC

I think you simply mean the 'KC' :mad:. We did it first, everyone else is a copy...dog. :britain:.

And yeah you can show dogs in other countries.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
I've been trying to feed our cat some really good food, and I'm trying to make sure that we use decent shampoo and stuff on her when we wash her. It's been a bit and she's a little smelly so I'm thinking of washing her soon.

My question is, I bought an all natural shampoo the other day. I'm concerned about the following though "Lavender Chamomile Jasmine Blend". I was reading in the cat advice to avoid essential oils on cats and I'm concerned that this might qualify. Should I get something different? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also a little feedback on her food would be nice. We've been feeding her Harmony Farms dry food it's a Chicken and Brown Rice blend. All the ingredients seem really good, the first listed ingredient is Chicken and none of it is processed. It's not listed on the pet foods recommendations though. I can get one of the brands listed in that thread, but it's a twenty minute drive for me. This brand we're feeding her is available at the local supermarket. I'll switch though if anyone has something bad to say about this brand of food. She seems to enjoy it well enough though.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Er... is that shampoo actually a pet shampoo? Don't use human shampoo on pets, but if it's meant for pets, it's probably fine.

Harmony Farms Chicken and Brown Rice posted:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oats, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Rye, Menhaden Fish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Ground Flax Seed, Dried Eggs, Whole Cranberries, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Whole Carrots, Canola Oil, Yeast Culture, Apples, Potassium Chloride, Sea Salt, Blueberries, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifodo-bacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate (Source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Proteinate (Source of Chelated Iron), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Proteinate (Source of Chelated Manganese), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin A), Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Proteinate (Source of Chelated Copper), Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Rosemary Extract, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (Source of Iodine), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite.

Looks good to me.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007

maplecheese posted:

Er... is that shampoo actually a pet shampoo? Don't use human shampoo on pets, but if it's meant for pets, it's probably fine.

Looks good to me.

Cool thanks for the response and yes it's a pet shampoo.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

moron posted:

I have 2 cats that I have known since the day they were born, raised in a lab environment. One was actually socialized more than the other one, and that one is the more skittish one. I think that there is definitely a hereditary component to their "personalities."

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Lioness posted:

I have 2 cats that I have known since the day they were born, raised in a lab environment. One was actually socialized more than the other one, and that one is the more skittish one. I think that there is definitely a hereditary component to their "personalities."

Agreed. I raised two 2-week old kittens from the same litter and treated them exactly the same. One of them acted like you would expect a 'normal' cat to (hissing at the dogs, being extremely independent) while the other would let the dogs drag him around by his scruff. Even though they were raised in the exact same environment under the same conditions, their personalities were definitely distinct and completely different from each other.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
I have a question about co-ownerships. I've read varying opinions on them - they're horrible and end badly, they're valuable tools within the dog fancy, etc. I've been speaking to a bearded collie breeder about getting on a waiting list for a show/performance pup. The price for a show quality pup is, well, astronomical. I'm willing to pay that price for a good, solid pup, but having always gotten shelter/rescue dogs, I can't help but think "drat".

Anyway, the breeder mentioned that, if I was willing to go in on a co-ownership wherein she retained stud rights, she would be willing to sell for the pet quality price. Now, I'm sure this would depend a lot upon the wording of the contract, which I haven't seen yet, but is this advisable? I'm brand new to showing and like the idea of having someone experienced (she's been breeding/showing for 18 years) there to help select a good match. On the other hand, I'm worried about having absolutely no say in who he would be bred to.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of arrangement? Here's her direct quote:

quote:

However, if you would allow me to do a co-ownership on the dog where I could retain stud dog rights, I would be willing to sell for the pet price.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Umilele posted:

I have a question about co-ownerships. I've read varying opinions on them - they're horrible and end badly, they're valuable tools within the dog fancy, etc. I've been speaking to a bearded collie breeder about getting on a waiting list for a show/performance pup. The price for a show quality pup is, well, astronomical. I'm willing to pay that price for a good, solid pup, but having always gotten shelter/rescue dogs, I can't help but think "drat".

Anyway, the breeder mentioned that, if I was willing to go in on a co-ownership wherein she retained stud rights, she would be willing to sell for the pet quality price. Now, I'm sure this would depend a lot upon the wording of the contract, which I haven't seen yet, but is this advisable? I'm brand new to showing and like the idea of having someone experienced (she's been breeding/showing for 18 years) there to help select a good match. On the other hand, I'm worried about having absolutely no say in who he would be bred to.

Does anyone here have experience with this type of arrangement? Here's her direct quote:
How much are the prices? Co-ownerships can be useful, if you are interested in hearing my personal experiences I'll be happy to discuss with you over PM.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
$1200 for pet quality, $1500 to $2500 for show quality. I had it in my mind that it'd be more like $800-$900 for pet quality, $1000-$1200 for show quality, although there was no real reason for that, just an assumption. That'd be great, thanks - I'll toss you a PM in a minute or so.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

....That is a lot of money. What kennel is this?

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Woodsong Bearded Collies. They had a few dogs at the show this past weekend so I looked them up and got the email, although they don't have a website. Both the dogs are OFA Excellent (although I haven't seen the paperwork yet; we've only exchanged a few emails). The dog has his championship and a couple of herding titles and has sired "several champions" already. The bitch is pointed (7) and has a herding title as well, but has never been bred before.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Umilele posted:

Woodsong Bearded Collies. They had a few dogs at the show this past weekend so I looked them up and got the email, although they don't have a website. Both the dogs are OFA Excellent (although I haven't seen the paperwork yet; we've only exchanged a few emails). The dog has his championship and a couple of herding titles and has sired "several champions" already. The bitch is pointed (7) and has a herding title as well, but has never been bred before.
They don't sound like a bad breeder but I really would wonder why the hell they are charging so much for puppies. Any reason you're particularly attached to this kennel or are these just the first people you've talked to?

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Just the first person I've talked to, really. There are at least two other local breeders I could get in touch with, not to mention plenty out of state. It struck me as kind of odd, too. Was my original guess more accurate? I mean, I know it varies by breed and location, but..

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Umilele posted:

Just the first person I've talked to, really. There are at least two other local breeders I could get in touch with, not to mention plenty out of state. It struck me as kind of odd, too. Was my original guess more accurate? I mean, I know it varies by breed and location, but..

Reasonable range is $600-$1500 imho

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Not a question, just a small story that didn't deserve its own thread.

About an hour ago, I smelled something really awful, and realized one of my cats was using their carrier as a litter box. I started to yell at her until I released the bathroom door had accidentally been closed. It was actually kind of smart for her to go in there instead of on the floor somewhere.

Good kitty :)

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!

Elijya posted:

About an hour ago, I smelled something really awful, and realized one of my cats was using their carrier as a litter box. I started to yell at her until I released the bathroom door had accidentally been closed. It was actually kind of smart for her to go in there instead of on the floor somewhere.

Similar story.. I don't own a cat and never have. One day a neighbours cat accidentally got locked in our house after the cleaners left.

I got home and opened the door and the cat streaked passed me and went back home as I was realising what happened. I could smell cat poop somewhere and hunted high and low for it. I finally found it... the cat had managed to poop in our kitchen sink, where it was easy to get rid of. It must have been the closest thing that resembled a litter tray in our house.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Elijya posted:

Not a question, just a small story that didn't deserve its own thread.

Good kitty :)
The post script to this is they were peeing on the bed :( Anyone got any tips for getting that smell off the mattress?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Elijya posted:

The post script to this is they were peeing on the bed :( Anyone got any tips for getting that smell off the mattress?

Nature's Miracle or similar enzyme cleaner is your friend. The downside is you need to saturate and wait for it to dry, but then again I wouldn't imagine you'd want to sleep on a wet pissy mattress anyway.

Steelies
Mar 11, 2006

by elpintogrande
I have an allergy to cats and now I have one living in my house.

I've only recently (in the last year or so) become allergic to cats and all I get is some itchiness and a few sneezes, but now my grandmothers cat has come to live with us I fear it may get worse.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with this?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Does anyone have any recommendations for cat nail trimmers? I have a pair of bamboo guillotine trimmers, but it loving sucks. I really need a reliable, safe pair that won't gently caress up my cats' nails as much. One of my cats has an old injury that causes him to walk funny on one leg, so I need to clip that paw more often than the others. The lovely bamboo pair hurt one of his nails, so he's been really upset every time I even touch that particular leg at all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Steelies posted:

I have an allergy to cats and now I have one living in my house.

I've only recently (in the last year or so) become allergic to cats and all I get is some itchiness and a few sneezes, but now my grandmothers cat has come to live with us I fear it may get worse.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with this?

Keep the cat out of your bedroom. Get over-the-counter nondrowsy allergy meds, like Claritin or Zyrtec (names will be different if you're not in the US) and take one a day. Keep Benadryl pills around in case it gets really bad. If it does, take one before you go to bed, because they do make you very sleepy.

Do not rub your face on the cat (duh) and always wash your hands after touching it.

If you do all this and it's still bad, look into air purifiers.