Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

No that works. I didn't know if anyone knew any good specific deals, which would've been fine. But pointing me to a place like you said works too. I gotta head to a local hockey shop, and see if I can try on some gear, then go hit up some used places/ebay/etc. and see if I can find anything.

Both South Windsor and Wesco have big goalie rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Chemmy posted:

Both South Windsor and Wesco have big goalie rooms.

Ah nice, thanks for the heads up. Where is Wesco? I think I've been to South Windsor. I know some of the close shops to me didn't have much, but I was gonna look for the stores online to see if I could find any info.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That South Windsor shop owns.

Or used to anyway, I haven't been in like five years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

From the photos posted on GSBB it looks like the new Rbks 9Ks have addressed exactly the problems I've been having with durability on my 8K PS2s. They added some surdier leather wrap to high contact wear areas. Basically they started to stitch on leather just like I have. Basically the entire blue leathery area on the calf wrap is all nylon fabric on the current 6K and 8Ks and is wearing down pretty quickly. I can't tell if they did the same for the landing gear nylon piping -- I hope they did because that's really the only part of my pad that's showing any disappointing wear and tear. It's not a huge problem since I'll just stitch some leather over it once I find a good place to buy some white upholstery leather.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And here are the new 9Ks. A little surprised they're still being sold with thighboards to be honest.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Ah nice, thanks for the heads up. Where is Wesco? I think I've been to South Windsor. I know some of the close shops to me didn't have much, but I was gonna look for the stores online to see if I could find any info.

Wesco is at 270 Federal Rd. in Brookfield. They're going to be getting new stock in in late March, so that'll be the time to look for stuff they can't sell and can possibly mark down.

I've never been to the South Windsor store. For anyone that's been to both, how do they compare to each other?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

South Windsor is a lot bigger, but they both have amazing prices and great service. I go to Wesco more now that I live in Norwalk, but went to South Windsor my whole life growing up.

I think South Windsor's stick room is about the size of Wesco, but Wesco matches South Windsor's prices and both Wesco and SWA are price competitive with Hockeygiant et al.

I went to Wesco to try on Vapor XXV skates which were on sale on the internet for $290 at the time, I didn't have the $470 for the Vapor XXXXs. I got to Wesco and they had the XXXXs for $399, Hockeygiant didn't drop their prices for another month.

Edit: On goalie stuff it's probably a wash. Honestly they're both great stores and I'd go to whichever was closer.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
just got this jersey in the mail from River City, should match my stuff really well, plus it adds some color other than black/white/silver to my gear

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Jesus. How did you do? I always found that I played better in the second game of back to backs, but playing a third game in a row sounds like torture.

All was well until I got home. Passed out cold.

Check out this roster...particularly #00. He's about 7'5" on skates. Yes, he was completely terrible. It was like watching a baby giraffe try to learn to walk. Really nice guy, though. Thank god he didn't score on me.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-team-roster.html?teamid=180504&seasonid=3318

gco
May 8, 2007

sba posted:

I love how in French, the initials are the EXACT opposite of the English ones.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

sba posted:

just got this jersey in the mail from River City, should match my stuff really well, plus it adds some color other than black/white/silver to my gear

Still waiting for the trip report on the shamwow... considering making one. Get to it!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

Still waiting for the trip report on the shamwow... considering making one. Get to it!

I used it Sunday...it worked REALLY well. Played a two hour pickup game, and it held up beautifully.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Joey Walnuts posted:

Check out this roster...particularly #00. He's about 7'5" on skates. Yes, he was completely terrible. It was like watching a baby giraffe try to learn to walk. Really nice guy, though. Thank god he didn't score on me.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-team-roster.html?teamid=180504&seasonid=3318

Is that the Greg Ostertag, formerly of the Utah Jazz, University of Kansas and my home town, Duncanville High School?

edit: It has to be him, he always wore #00

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

The Mandingo posted:

Is that the Greg Ostertag, formerly of the Utah Jazz, University of Kansas and my home town, Duncanville High School?

edit: It has to be him, he always wore #00

Indeed. He's a monster.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

What the poo poo? I knew a lot of NHL and ex-NHL guys played at that rink, but I would have never in a million years imagined an ex-NBA center playing there. Just so you know, I'm up in Scottsdale now, so if you ever need another goalie at Ozzie or play at the Iceden, then let me know.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Ask him to explain the following:

gco
May 8, 2007

Gendo posted:

Ask him to explain the following:

Well, then...

Anyway, I got into this low level pro clinic (EPHL, look it up) but they told me to wear skater equipment. What the gently caress is up with that? They're supposed to have players there teaching kids how to play, shouldn't there at least be a goalie there to give some instruction? I'm gonna bring my goalie equipment anyway because I'm such a loving rebel :cool: and I want to break in my new helmet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did you, uh, tell them you're a goalie?

I mean, shot in the dark.

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Did you, uh, tell them you're a goalie?

I mean, shot in the dark.

Yeah, I did.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Man, I'm rocking a .848 save percentage and 3.33 gaa my last 3 games. It's easily the best stretch of my life. I've only let in one cheapie where I was a little out of position on a screened point shot and I'm usually good for one a game where I'm a little off on positioning.

I'm looking at getting into ice, is there any possibility of finding a decent set of used pads that will last me a couple years for less than $400? My budget is very limited by my student loan payments, 400 is just about as high as I could go.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

crusader donkey posted:

Man, I'm rocking a .848 save percentage and 3.33 gaa my last 3 games. It's easily the best stretch of my life. I've only let in one cheapie where I was a little out of position on a screened point shot and I'm usually good for one a game where I'm a little off on positioning.

I'm looking at getting into ice, is there any possibility of finding a decent set of used pads that will last me a couple years for less than $400? My budget is very limited by my student loan payments, 400 is just about as high as I could go.

Check the discussion from this page/last page that I had. There's a couple links that had decently priced gear.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Yeah, that and a quick scan of craigslist give me a lot of hope. I'll just have to try stuff on, I have no idea what length I would use. I can't imagine using anything but my godawful $80 Tacks, I'm moving so well in them right now. They've been sliding like a dream for me on the roller sport court, It's almost like ice.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

One thing I can recommend if you're going down the used pad route

Buy a sewing awl and learn to use it. Things will break or tear, and you'll feel awesome sitting in front of your TV fixing your own gear :)

That poo poo could literally not be any easier

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Sure it could be easier... you could buy Smith pads! :smug:

Booyah, served

Hazed_blue fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 19, 2009

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

gco posted:

Well, then...

Anyway, I got into this low level pro clinic (EPHL, look it up) but they told me to wear skater equipment. What the gently caress is up with that? They're supposed to have players there teaching kids how to play, shouldn't there at least be a goalie there to give some instruction? I'm gonna bring my goalie equipment anyway because I'm such a loving rebel :cool: and I want to break in my new helmet.

Back in high school I used to help teach at a goalie (only goalie) camp and many of the instructors had just their track suits on and used forward sticks etc so they could shoot, but me and the other young guys helping out would wear partial gear to demonstrate. What we wore depended on what we would be doing, sometimes just leg pads other times full gear minus the mask. Being young and retarded I'd often stick around to play small pick up games with the guys they had there as shooters, all D-1 college or minor pro players and I wouldn't go get my mask, i just continued playing with my baseball hat on. I mean they recognized that and they weren't blasting pucks at me but it was stupid regardless, but it was kind of exhilarating to pretend I was Eddie Giacomin or something.

gco
May 8, 2007

Mid weekend update because tonight is the middle of my weekend. What? You're just starting yours? Pffft. :colbert:

Last night I skated up I need desperately to work on positioning and not crashing into poo poo.

I had 3 breakaways, every time something ended up in the net, 2x puck and 1x me. I got a hat trick on 5 shots, no assists, and was a -2. I had no idea what position I was playing because the rink's so small. My teammate would end up getting the puck and I'd skate up to take the pass and be on my merry way but I'd be in the neutral zone waiting for the pass and we ended up getting scored on. Several times. Also, my stamina did not improve as much as it did the last time I skated up and I had to take a bathroom break 3/4 of the way through I drank so much water.

This morning I went to shinny and tried on my new mask and got 2 hits on the helmet and 1 on the dangly part, but they weren't all that hard so I couldn't really test its heftiness. I was 45/54 on shots, .833, which I am disappointed with because I let a lot go by that I shouldn't've and my team was passing the puck to the varsity coaches (on the other team) all to often and they walked in alone more than I would've preferred them to but on the (semi)plus side, 4 guys stayed until the Zamboni kicked us off. Usually most people leave at 7:30 but these guys stayed all the way to 8:45. When the ice empties, I just work on my shot and positioning and do suicides, but today I didn't have to! :haw:

Tomorrow I have a practice with my old team in the late morning (I get to sleep in, thank GOD [4 total hours of sleep the past 2 nights {why I did so poorly}]) and the pro clinic in the afternoon. It should be noted, though, that I'm not a teacher at this thing, although I'd love to be, I still don't know everything about hockey, though I'm pretty loving close. :smug:

Crumbleg, full equipment - mask + baseball hat sounds like so much loving fun if you have guys that know how to, and actually do, aim in the lower half of the net.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Goddammit.

Final game of the season last night. We're up 3-2 with 1:30 to go. Guy takes a shot, I trap it between the ice and my left pad. Whistle blows, I stand up and the puck goes into the net. The ref calls it a goal. AFTER the whistle has blown. He claims it was in the net already. The other ref says he thought I had it...which I definitely did. He then lies a bit to make up for a lovely call and says he saw it bounce off my glove and into the goal. I was loving furious. We ended up losing in overtime 3-4. gently caress.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That blows. Yesterday I swatted at a puck on the goal line and pushed it back underneath my goalie, thinking I made a hell of a play but the ref called it a goal after it had been covered up.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Picked up a Warrior Swagger stick to replace my busted composite yesterday. I'd say if you're ever going to get a wood stick pick one of these up, I absolutely love it.

I also tried Rockstars version of 5hr energy before the game. I was a little afraid it would make my heart rate shoot through the roof or make me too jittery but I just ended up really focused. I'll probably be drinking these before most games that start before 8pm, I was still hyper about 2hrs after the game.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

gco posted:

Crumbleg, full equipment - mask + baseball hat sounds like so much loving fun if you have guys that know how to, and actually do, aim in the lower half of the net.
It really was a lot of fun, and they were all good enough to be trusted to keep the shots low, it was just low-intensity pick up so they weren't even hard low shots. Still, I can't in good conscience say it was smart of me to play without a mask even if the worst that happened was catching a glancing blow on the chin from a puck that deflected up from my stick. Let me tell you though, you will never attain a level of concentration so high as when you're standing there with nothing but a hat on your head and some guy from the ECHL is winding up.

gco
May 8, 2007

Well, my most productive weekend of the year came to a close. :(

8 hours of ice time cost me 25 bucks, which was just for the clinic anyway (not counting gas)

Went to practice on Saturday morning and stopped 47 of 50 shots in a scrimmage, went to the youth clinic and got the attention of 4 skaters plus the two goaltenders. (they weren't dressed in gear though, obviously) They played rebound with me and I won the first time, then told them to try and they had some nice shots. The game usually goes to 10 but you have to win by 2, and I don't know if they ended up letting me win, but I ended up prevailing 14-12. :cool: They also helped me with wrap-arounds, which was hard without pegs (the goal was in the neutral zone) because the goal went flying everywhere, but it was fun and I enjoyed hanging out with them.

I also managed to play two :siren: official :siren: games, my first in 9 months. The first I ended up getting 5 breakaways on me, 3 of which had top shelf goals, ended up losing 3-2 with 26 shots. The second game went over a lot smoother. 8 skaters and I thought I'd have bad defense. I didn't let in a goal until the 3rd period, after the ref called a very poor penalty (PPG on us) for checking from behind. Fortunately it was the only goal I had against me and I was 25/26 on the night in a 4-1 win.

I might get to play next weekend too and the week after in the championship because the league has to rotate 3 goalies amongst 4 teams. And now they're down to only two since one of them broke his leg or went to London or something.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I just played the most absurd game I've had to date. For some reason, my 3-7-0 team has two of its wins against the league's number 1 team, who has only lost to us (9-2-0). That second win against them came tonight, as a 3-3 tie went into overtime, then into a shootout. Both teams had 12 skaters, both they and we scored on the first shootout attempt and then neither team scored until the 2nd cycle through the entire roster when one of our guys finally put his 2nd attempt in. In all, I faced 14 shootout attempts with one goal against and two posts. Then of course I played another game after that because goalies don't show up in this league.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Crumleg posted:

Then of course I played another game after that because goalies don't show up in this league.

I'm pretty sure that's every league. Seriously, if you just camp out at the rink for the day you will get plenty of teams asking you to sub for their goalie.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Its really unbelievable, especially when you consider that goalies play for free and store their equipment at the rink for free too in my league. Still I usually get to play 2 games a week, sometimes more. Last night I even played a period for a goalie that had to leave between my first overtime game and the 2nd late game I played, so 7 periods of hockey plus overtime plus a shootout. My knees are so goddamn sore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I count all the free admission I've gotten to $20/player games, I'm sure I've more than made up the cost of all my equipment by now.

Economy may be in the shitter, but it's still a good time to be a goalie :3:

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Tell me about it, I'm broke and unemployed but I get to play tons of free hockey for the price of a subway ride I don't know what I would do without this.

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm pretty sure that's every league. Seriously, if you just camp out at the rink for the day you will get plenty of teams asking you to sub for their goalie.

It's feast or famine. You never get the amount you want, you either get 2 goalies for 8 teams or 8 goalies for 2 teams. poo poo is never balanced in the goaltending world.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

If I count all the free admission I've gotten to $20/player games, I'm sure I've more than made up the cost of all my equipment by now.

Economy may be in the shitter, but it's still a good time to be a goalie :3:
Hell yes, I'm in the same boat. You may spend a lot initially getting the equipment, but it will pay you back in spades. Not only that, but I have an awesome wife that doesn't mind that I play 3-4 times a week year round. :cool:

So I've been working on my puck handling skills, or more specifically shooting the puck. My velocity has slowly been improving, but it's still lacking. I've noticed that whenever I clear, the puck is wobbling in the air. As a result, it can take some funny bounces when it collides with the boards. Is there something that I can do with my release that will keep the puck under better control?

gco
May 8, 2007

Hazed_blue posted:

Is there something that I can do with my release that will keep the puck under better control?

Puck goes from heel to toe before you release it from the stick and you can make it soar like a flying saucer with some good power.

I really have to work on backhanding it, as I can forehand shoot the puck almost all the way down the ice when it's all lovely after an hour of play. What I like to do to train my forehand shot is line 5-6 pucks up in the slot between the hashes and try to sail it clear over the crossbar or hit the middle post mid-high in the net. Also, it never hurts to skate around and stickhandle, stickhandle, stickhandle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumblingcat
Feb 26, 2009
Hey, when you guys stick handle do you put your glove like you were holding a normal stick or do you put it in the same place, but with the pocket up (think wade dubielewicz)? I find there's more power doing it Wade's way, but it's harder to control. Of course when I was playing high school, nobody really went over this stuff. Stupid late 90s...

• Locked thread