Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

brc64 posted:

Also, we want to walk up the aisle together to the Hyrule theme, because we're dorks.

The Hyrule theme in flute, strings, and pipe organ would rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
Yay, I can finally join this thread! The boyfriend proposed to me on the bridge at our favorite park in the town that we recently moved away from, right next to the ducks that we used to feed. :3:

After looking at all of the crap that goes into a wedding, I'm seriously thinking about eloping. I hate being the center of attention, and this thing will just be something that stresses me out for the next year and a half (we wanted to wait until I graduate from college before marrying). I would much rather spend more money on a really nice honeymoon than waste it on flowers and favors. Thankfully my parents see it as MY day and say I can do anything with the 10K they are giving me (provided I get married by a pastor), so I really think that this is what I'm going to do.

Any suggestions on where to honeymoon? I'm thinking something along the lines of Aruba or Jamaica or something tropical. If this is what we are going to do, we will probably do it sometime this summer. Maybe in mid July or early August, as I'm taking summer school for the first half.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope this is alright for this thread, I'm not the one getting married, my cousin is.

I was just asked to be a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. She is one of three female cousins I have on my mom's side and the closest things I have to sisters. Anywho, I'm not maid of honor or anything but this is my first wedding as a bridesmaid. I was the casual photographer for the oldest cousin but not in the wedding party. What is going to be expected of me? Will they tell me everything I have to do? Dress fittings are in a couple of weeks and we're wearing navy blue dresses, picking the styles ourselves (thank GOD) and making a fun day of it.

I am so excited but I am also kinda panicking. If this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks!

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Wow ring explosion.

That flower ring is the coolest and most unique thing I've ever seen.

I finally found a dress!
It was on sale marked down from 450$ AU to 80$AU.

It's cream, which isn't what I thought I would get, but I really wanted a 50's cocktail length poofy dress. Cream looks nice with my skin colour, but it's a bit too wedding for me (we are already married, and just having a delayed reception with family/friends). I was thinking of a sash, or an obi. Do you guys think it would go well with my dress? (crappy pic attached)

Also, I have NO idea how to accessorize!

Open toed, close toed, blah I have no idea where to start. I think I'll ask the megathread ladies over at W&W, but any help is appreciated.

How did you guys make sure that people had fun at your reception? We're going to have spanish guitar music, my husband is playing the piano and we're doing a small powerpoint to talk about our life in Australia and why we're moving to Japan for a year. It still seems...blah. I really want to do something unique but am having a tough time thinking up ideas. I thought about a karaoke machine, but it wouldn't work with our venue :(

I feel like this reception is no longer about what I want, and I'm trying to get control. My mom sent out invitations without asking me who I wanted, or asking me to OK the invitations, so as of now I'm pretty concerned.

I'm thinking I might make a Katamari cake topper to regain control over this poo poo.
I really thought I avoided this drama by eloping :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krysie
Feb 12, 2009
My husband & I were married in 2005, and in total just under $11,000 was spent on our wedding.
We did a lot of shopping around!
My engagement ring & wedding band came to $650.00 (they're appraised at $1500.00)
My husbands wedding band came to $250.00 (it's appraised at $400.00)
My dress, shoes, head piece, veil and custom made ear rings came to just shy of $1000.00 (I originally found my dress in a shop in downtown Toronto... but decided to check some shops around my hometown & found it for HALF the price!)
Our photographer cost us $700.00 (now we didn't get a fancy-pancy album, but we did get over 75 physical prints, plus we got the digitals & the rights to print them where ever we wanted... ) She came and did photo's before the ceremony, during the ceremony, after the ceremony & at the reception. She did a mixture of formal shots & candid... black & white, and colour.
I won our limo service at a bridal show.
Our cake was 3-tiered marble with butter cream icing & it came to $200.00
Our caterer was extremely reasonable, as was the hall, and dj...
Our friends still tell us that it was the best wedding they've been to (it was a lot of fun!)
So, I think the most important thing when planning a wedding is to shop around... and to realize that YOU hold the power! If they aren't willing to negotiate with you, then leave... you don't HAVE to pay what they're asking, but they're betting that you will, so that's why they charge an arm & a leg!

Krysie
Feb 12, 2009

Tatiana posted:

It's cream, which isn't what I thought I would get, but I really wanted a 50's cocktail length poofy dress. Cream looks nice with my skin colour, but it's a bit too wedding for me (we are already married, and just having a delayed reception with family/friends). I was thinking of a sash, or an obi. Do you guys think it would go well with my dress? (crappy pic attached)

Also, I have NO idea how to accessorize!

Open toed, close toed, blah I have no idea where to start. I think I'll ask the megathread ladies over at W&W, but any help is appreciated.

How did you guys make sure that people had fun at your reception? We're going to have spanish guitar music, my husband is playing the piano and we're doing a small powerpoint to talk about our life in Australia and why we're moving to Japan for a year. It still seems...blah. I really want to do something unique but am having a tough time thinking up ideas. I thought about a karaoke machine, but it wouldn't work with our venue :(

First - I love your dress! And if you find it's too 'weddying' I would add a nice sash... I wouldn't do an obi, I don't think it would look right with that style of dress. Or skip the sash, and add a nice neck scarf (I know, it's not everyone's 'thing' but it does give off a nice 50's vibe!)

As for shoes... on one hand, peep-toes would be great... but if you want a vintage feel, I'd go for a rounded pointy toe (so not pointy, but not rounded... am I making sense?) With a thicker heal (not a chunky heel, not a platform & NOT a stiletto, somewhere in the middle)

As for how to make the reception fun, well if you are planning on have everyone sit in a particular spot - put a lot of thought into the demeanor of your guests, and sit them together accordingly. We had one table of a younger couples, with a couple VERY outgoing guys... sure they were loud, but they had A LOT of fun (and consequently the guests around them had a good time... laughing along with them)

I, personally, wouldn't do a powerpoint presentation... as a guest, that's not something I'd be interested in.

http://www.amazon.com/Seductive-Sho...IN%3D1584796227
I love the shoes on the cover of that book!

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Also, for people that ARE giving a full wedding consideration, keep in mind discounted days.. In our situation, we got the reception hall (very beautiful place) for a sunday wedding. Although sunday weddings are a bit strange, the halls are usually desperate to fill a sunday that they give awesome deals.

We got the previous year's pricing at the date of booking, so that's 2007 prices, plus a 15% off discount for being a sunday, and they gave us both large rooms, one for the cocktail hour, and the other for the actual reception.

We also got reduced food selections, etc.

One piece of advise I can give the planners out there.. Seriously, if you have lived with your fiance for a long time (as we have.. 2 years as room mates, and a total of 8 years dating) don't bother with the whole wedding thing. We already felt married, so in the end the actual wedding is going to just be a very large celebration, but a celebration for something we already feel has happened. Its a weird feeling. Plus with the housing market as it is, that 15k or so the wedding will cost could have gone to something more important..

Furthermore, since we have already lived together, we have everything we need as far as furniture, kitchen stuff, plates, etc. Getting a registry for her shower/wedding gifts felt forced strange.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Egad! posted:

I hope this is alright for this thread, I'm not the one getting married, my cousin is.

I was just asked to be a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. She is one of three female cousins I have on my mom's side and the closest things I have to sisters. Anywho, I'm not maid of honor or anything but this is my first wedding as a bridesmaid. I was the casual photographer for the oldest cousin but not in the wedding party. What is going to be expected of me? Will they tell me everything I have to do? Dress fittings are in a couple of weeks and we're wearing navy blue dresses, picking the styles ourselves (thank GOD) and making a fun day of it.

I am so excited but I am also kinda panicking. If this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks!

Your main obligations: help plan the bachelorette party & maybe help with the bridal shower. Other than that, show up on time for the rehearsal & look nice on her wedding day.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Ended up getting a ring on eBay, I found a Buy It Now auction that seemed too good to be true. This ring was only $250. Took it to a local appraiser and found that it's totally legit, 18k gold and VS/G-H diamonds. Girlfriend said yes :)

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! My wedding plans just got a lot more...exciting? Time-crunchy?

On Friday I was driving my scooter home from work and was hit by a drunk driver. GOt home from the hospital on Tuesday with a broken jaw and a titanium rod in my leg. I should have the jaw unwired before the wedding, but I might still be on crutches.

BUT I have a mock-up of my invite from my MOH/designer.

Click here for the full 844x586 image.

These will go on a kraft-type paper. She's working on the reception invite.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zap actionsdower! posted:

On Friday I was driving my scooter home from work and was hit by a drunk driver. GOt home from the hospital on Tuesday with a broken jaw and a titanium rod in my leg. I should have the jaw unwired before the wedding, but I might still be on crutches.

Oh my god!! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you are.. er... okay? I suppose you're not OKAY per se, but I'm glad things weren't worse. drat man. Did they get the guy that hit you?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

zap actionsdower! posted:

Woah! The wedding day might be a little hectic, but as long as you can still take good photos it should be fine.

Tatiana- Obi are the opposite of an hourglass figure. Try a narrow ribbon?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope they caught the guy.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
I too, am sorry to hear about your accident. But on the plus side, those invites are neat. The design is quite unique.

On an unrelated note, you have three middle names, and one of the is Rocketship?!? Awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm pretty excited right now, and since I can't really tell any of my friends / relatives yet I figured I'd post here. My girlfriend and I have been talking marriage for a while now, and I think I just snagged the perfect ring. She loves antique jewelry, and has specifically said she didn't want a diamond ring. Ruby is her birthstone, so I figured that would make for a perfect engagement ring. One small ebay bidding war later and I am the proud new owner of this:

7 carot Burmese ruby, 18K yellow gold, crafted in Thailand in the late 1800s early 1900s

I know she is going to love it, and the two month (from today!) wait so that I can propose on our first-date anniversary is going to be excruciating.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Zap, I hope you recover well! I assume that you're going to be getting reimbursed by the guy's insurance?
I really like the design of your invitations :3:

Goldmund posted:

I know she is going to love it, and the two month (from today!) wait so that I can propose on our first-date anniversary is going to be excruciating.

Oh wow, that is an amazing ring. I'm sure she's going to adore it!

If she's expecting you to propose on your first first-date anniversary, you should do it a little early, to surprise her!

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
A wedding-related anecdote from the accident: When I woke up in the ambulance I forgot that my engagement ring was in the shop for a repair. The police sent out a crew with a metal detector and apologized very gravely to my fiance that they were unable to find it. He informed them of its whereabouts.

Thanks, all. I'm pretty limited in movement for now, but faring well. Currently most upset about the loss of the scooter. Don't know if I will ever mentally break down or if this is upset as I will get. :)

Yes, they caught the guy. He has insurance. Have not heard thing one on what will be covered. Hopefully a lot. I also have scooter insurance, underinsured motorist insurance, and health insurance.

My MOH is a killer designer, and it is her actual job. She's very versatile. If anyone is looking for a designer, she works under contract, and is experienced with working on deadline and nationally. PM me for contact info.

Re: Rocketship. Cat Rocketship is my artist name. 3/4 of the people who know me in my city know me by that name, and don't know my real last name. My family and older friends wouldn't recognize an invite from Cat Rocketship. So I combined. I will be adding Rocketship as a legal last name.

Whoo. Long post.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Finally decided on a date, so it looks like it will most likely be on Saturday May 21, 2011. When I go home to visit my parents in March, hopefully with my fiance, we will get talking with the church already to start booking stuff. I would like to try for the basilica in Philadelphia, so more than 2 years out I might be able to get it. If not, our local parish will do.

Just need to figure out a place to do the reception now, and then do my wedding dress next year :(.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Goldmund posted:

I don't know if it's just a bad picture, but that is very purple for a ruby.

It's still a pretty ring though.

Lixer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 16, 2009

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Lixer posted:

I don't know if it's just a bad picture, but that is very purple for a ruby.

It's still a pretty ring though.

There is a lot of variation in color in corrundums. For rubies the bright red is ideal, but that color isn't uncommon. It could even be a sapphire, they are closely related.

Edit: Here is a nice purpley one from the natural sapphire co.

pretty!

And a similar colored sapphire

and another!

Also the stone is opaque and cut as a faceted cab, so light doesn't pass through really well.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 16, 2009

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know this is probably something to discuss with my girlfriend, but I figured I'd ask if any one of you have dealt with a similar situation first. I'm currently in med school. This means that pretty much all of my income comes from loans. My girlfriend will make more than I do for the foreseeable future.

If I end up getting engaged in the next year or two, what's the best way to get/pay for a ring? I guess I could ask my parents to swing me a loan, but that doesn't seem right. I could take a loan out, but that doesn't seem very financially prudent. How much should I be spending anyways? I mean, 2 months salary for me at this point would be negative, so she buys me an engagement TV right? :v:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

How much should I be spending anyways? I mean, 2 months salary for me at this point would be negative, so she buys me an engagement TV right? :v:

This thread is pretty against the "two month's salary" rule. Spend what you can afford, don't worry about diamonds, find out her preferences, buy vintage, propose first and buy later, etc. A cheap silver&turquoise ring from a gift shop is great if it's on a romantic trip through the Grand Canyon...

:10bux: I like the "diamond rings" here :10bux:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Yay rings!

(Excuse my amateur photography, I was just playing around)

I'm already stressing about the wedding though. We want to do it June 2010, but our families are in Illinois and we live in Massachusetts now. I'm in grad school and he works full time with not much vacation. Planning seems hard enough without being long distance and most of my college friends that I might ask to be bridesmaids don't live near where we would get married either.

Does anyone have an advice for long-distance planning? My mom will help out where she can, but there seems to be so much stuff we'll need to be present for.

Also, I've noticed a lot of Chicago-specific stuff throughout the thread...I don't know if the Chicago people are still watching the thread, but any advice/experience stories with venues/photographers/etc would be awesome! My first choice was the Chicago Botanic Gardens, but I don't think we can afford that.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 17, 2009

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

If I end up getting engaged in the next year or two, what's the best way to get/pay for a ring? I guess I could ask my parents to swing me a loan, but that doesn't seem right. I could take a loan out, but that doesn't seem very financially prudent. How much should I be spending anyways? I mean, 2 months salary for me at this point would be negative, so she buys me an engagement TV right? :v:

If the girl is worth marrying, she'll accept that you are in a hole and will either pick out something reasonable, or will understand you can't even afford a ring and settle for a non-diamond. (You can always get her a real diamond for a 5-year anniversary once you are financially sound).

I posted a page or so back how I handled this situation, but I'll mention again because it worked out really well for us.. I proposed with a giant paper-weight ring.. It was a nice large (bracelet-sized) engagement ring made of crystal that game in a large fluffy ring box.. Cost me a whopping $25. She loved it.. The night I proposed she took the thing everywhere with her and we got nothing but positive responses from anyone who saw it. The next day we went ring shopping and she picked one out for $700 she fell in love with.

Our situation wasn't really about money, but I wanted her to pick something she would really like rather then me pick something I liked and her being stuck with something she was only so-so on the rest of her life.

We both agreed that the money would be far better placed in some furniture or adding to a house down payment then on an overpriced piece of jewelry..

Everyone's different, but don't let any historical clichés make a decision for you.. And most importantly Do not finance a drat engagement ring!!!. If you are having a normal wedding you are going to be highly strapped for cash to begin with, and especially when starting out as a married couple with crazy expenses, house worries, etc.. Tacking on another loan is totally not worth it, especially for a med student who is likely going to be up to his ears in loans.

FidgetyRat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 17, 2009

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
does anyone know of the best places for jewish ceremonies in the philadelphia area?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I know this is probably something to discuss with my girlfriend, but I figured I'd ask if any one of you have dealt with a similar situation first. I'm currently in med school. This means that pretty much all of my income comes from loans. My girlfriend will make more than I do for the foreseeable future.

You should definitely ask both your family and hers (if you feel comfortable) if anyone has any kind of heirloom jewelry. It's personal, seeped in history and free! Women collect loads of jewelry that they never wear, so someone may just have the perfect ring lying around.

My fiance proposed with a ring my mother gave me when I turned 16 since a new one wasn't in our budget at the time. We've since upgraded to the 1/2 carat diamond ring I'll wear forever, but it was still under $1000. We bought it at the local outlet mall. And as others have mentioned, if she's into sapphires or other nondiamond stones you'll dramatically decrease the price.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

amethystbliss posted:

You should definitely ask both your family and hers (if you feel comfortable) if anyone has any kind of heirloom jewelry.

Or you could turn it into cash with which to buy an engagement ring. We oftentimes will take old jewelry in on trade towards a new engagement ring.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Anyone know of any good places to get A7 envelopes online in Canada? I ordered some from envelopemall.com, but I'm not too happy with the colours and the shipping + duty was ridiculous so I don't think I'll be using them again.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
This is a little off-topic, but it's valid since most people in the thread seem to be concerned with saving money on their wedding expenses. Is there any interest for some men's wedding bands in titanium or tungsten?

I'm considering buying a large close-out lot from a bankrupt jewelry store. Photo attached below. If I can get enough interest I'll buy the entire lot and put them in SA-Mart for $60 shipped.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

amethystbliss posted:

You should definitely ask both your family and hers (if you feel comfortable) if anyone has any kind of heirloom jewelry. It's personal, seeped in history and free! Women collect loads of jewelry that they never wear, so someone may just have the perfect ring lying around.

My fiance proposed with a ring my mother gave me when I turned 16 since a new one wasn't in our budget at the time. We've since upgraded to the 1/2 carat diamond ring I'll wear forever, but it was still under $1000. We bought it at the local outlet mall. And as others have mentioned, if she's into sapphires or other nondiamond stones you'll dramatically decrease the price.

This is a great thing to do. I have a gorgeous 1 carat diamond ring that my fiancee only paid $700 for to get it reset in a custom white gold setting. His mom gave him the diamond and replaced it with moissanite. We'll definitely be doing the same for one of our kids.

I would've said yes to a plastic twist tie if that's all he could've afforded, to be totally honest. Residency Evil, if you guys have a really good relationship, I bet she won't care if you have the money for a nice ring right now. In fact, she might get mad if you spend beyond your means. Try for some vintage heirloom jewelry from your family or just go cheap and I bet she'll still say yes. You can always buy a nicer one later.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
do you all think it's wrong for the girl to pay for part of the ring if she wants an expensive ring ...

Im willing to pay for part of the ring

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

Operatic Diva posted:

do you all think it's wrong for the girl to pay for part of the ring if she wants an expensive ring ...

I think that is totally up to the people involved. What's important is making sure that both people know what kind of engagement ring(s) are wanted and what they can afford to pay for. If the girl wants to pay for part of the ring, I think that's fine. But I also know a lot of guys might be put off by that so I would say the topic would have to be discussed carefully.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TinuvielDancing posted:

I think that is totally up to the people involved. What's important is making sure that both people know what kind of engagement ring(s) are wanted and what they can afford to pay for. If the girl wants to pay for part of the ring, I think that's fine. But I also know a lot of guys might be put off by that so I would say the topic would have to be discussed carefully.

he's all for me paying for part of it.... I want a 1 1/2 ct center stone ... he's going to pay for that and Im going to pay for the setting and side stones

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I kinda want to put a script on my computer that changes any post containing the words "pay" and "ring" to just read "How much do I have to spend so she won't reject me? :smith:"

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

Operatic Diva posted:

he's all for me paying for part of it.... I want a 1 1/2 ct center stone ... he's going to pay for that and Im going to pay for the setting and side stones

Then it sounds like you two have a good arrangement and I wouldn't worry about what other people might think is 'wrong'

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

TinuvielDancing posted:

Then it sounds like you two have a good arrangement and I wouldn't worry about what other people might think is 'wrong'

I totally agree with this.

Every couple is different. If y'all are cool with this arrangement, then go for it. Do what fits you two. After all, who's involved in the giving and receiving of rings but you and your SO? Anybody that says your ring isn't good enough or looks down on you guys splitting the cost is a bitch.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Anybody that says your ring isn't good enough or looks down on you guys splitting the cost is a bitch.

That and anyone that laughs at you for not spending enough money can always receive a counter-laugh for spending thousands of dollars basically on a piece of rock.

I'll take my nice shiny new couch set any day and so would my SO.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Operatic Diva posted:

Why are you even asking? And, if the two of you have already worked it out - who else would know unless you told them? And why would you tell them? Are you worried that secretly, who paid for the ring means something? How are you going to handle finances when you get married?

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Yay! I have been lurking this thread since it was created and I can finally take part in it. My boyfriend finally proposed to me yesterday on our fifth anniversary! We were celebrating at Disneyland and he dragged me over to the little waterfall by the castle and waited around for everyone to clear out of the area before getting down on one knee and asking. It was perfect for us :3:

Now I need to figure out how to plan a wedding in Seattle from Los Angeles. I can't remember if it was ever really discussed much in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with planning a wedding in a different state from where they live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Kitten Kisses posted:

Planning a wedding in a different state from where they live?

Its possible, but expect it to be quite difficult, especially if you are planning to have a nice reception hall. Alot of the times its impossible to pick a place without at least being there to see it, so maybe you could plan a trip to seattle to shop for a hall one weekend.

Wedding planning in general is very time consuming and very stressful.. Pushing it to a different state is not going to be easy, but if you insist make sure you dole out the proper time and plan ahead!