Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jamal posted:

we had some pretty good results with an 09 wrx on the dyno today. It's not the first one we've tuned, but I was pretty impressed with what it made.

I haven't been keeping up much with the 09 WRX. What did they change to make it such a beast compared to the 08? New turbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

8ender posted:

I haven't been keeping up much with the 09 WRX. What did they change to make it such a beast compared to the 08? New turbo?

Yeah bigger turbo, and a ton of other upgrades to the suspension and looks dept.

NASIOC has a thread keeping track of peoples engines blowing up though, so still pretty questionable. Of course, these guys could be doing clutch dumps? But cars are failing at 2-5000 miles.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I feel like the stock tune in the 09 is poo poo below freezing ambient temperatures. It's been 40-50 for a bunch of days this week, and not only does the car pull harder, I get better mileage out of it, too!

As for blown engines, there was the stop sales on the '08's and I think a recall with that, too, when they discovered their process was putting those engines at risk of failure. I would think that if there were any correlation with these failures and something that Subaru was doing or neglecting to do, they would issue a recall / put a stop sales on it / etc.

I have noticed, though, that sometimes when I start the car, with no correlation to warm or cold start, I get a sort of stumbling, but as soon as you gas it, it goes away.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Finally got a Subaru...Meet the Lesbonator.

'04 Forester XT with 120k miles, everything feels tight and almost like new.

Would it be a bad idea to mod the engine at this mileage?

FecalFajita fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 13, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

FecalFajita posted:

Finally got a Subaru...Meet the Lesbonator.

'04 Forester XT with 120k miles, everything feels tight and almost like new.

Would it be a bad idea to mod the engine at this mileage?

Do a leakdown/compression test, make sure the timing belt has been done along with other basic maintenance (plugs, wires, fuel filter etc.) and then if everything checks out, go hog wild. Grab a catless up pipe, a downpipe, and get a tune, and the car will be a surprisingly fast Lesbonator.

Edit: Might want to check the turbocharger compressor wheel for shaft play and do an oil anaylsis as well to be sure.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

we had some pretty good results with an 09 wrx on the dyno today. It's not the first one we've tuned, but I was pretty impressed with what it made.

A stock 08 sti makes 220-230 whp, riding the knock sensor the whole way.

Tonight a stock 09 wrx made 244whp. Then we put on an intake and tuned it. Now it makes 280whp.

This is all on the same dyno, in southern california where atmospheric conditions don't change much, all on 91 poo poo pump gas.

Thats what I've been reading all along. The 09 WRX seems like a great platform for an inexpensive fun car. What are you using to tune it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
this one was done using open source. We'll use that or Cobb mostly.

As for the 09s eating it, the explanation I got was that some of the blocks weren't cleaned out well enough after casting. The dealerships should be checking the oil in all the 09s and if there's crap in there they replace the engine.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

jamal posted:

this one was done using open source. We'll use that or Cobb mostly.

As for the 09s eating it, the explanation I got was that some of the blocks weren't cleaned out well enough after casting. The dealerships should be checking the oil in all the 09s and if there's crap in there they replace the engine.

Cool. I know SOA has a great rep. for repairing and fixing their mistakes. So its really just a hassle of getting a rental and all that stuff, paperwork, etc.

That said, I've got a 07 wrx, with a catless bellmouth DP, 3 inch all the way, TurboXS gigantic TMIC, and am running stage 2 off the AP. I plan on getting an 07 sti turbo eventually, bigger FP, slappingo on an intake and getting it protuned. Can you give me an estimate on what I'll be making? 93Oct. east coast gas, sea level.

koopatrooper
Dec 10, 2006

quote:

koopatrooper posted:

B) buy an already modded car and have the work and labor off my head, at risk with the guy having hosed up the job

TurboLuvah posted:

No. Try to find as stock a car as you can, and go from there.

Hmm... even with documentation to back up the work and a decent garage that put the work together? Looking over I see a few hack jobs, but honestly the amount of money I could save getting a WRX with the standard mods like turbo/exhaust is pretty tempting..

Lando posted:

If you are near Northern Virginia/DC area, theres a guy selling an 07 WRX with some great mods done to it, and taken well care of. I know the guy personally. Search for nickguy07 in the MAIC area. He's looking to sell his car still. I know it has a FMIC, vf39 sti turbo, and tune to go with it.

Wow, nice, but a bit out of my price range, but thanks for the heads up!

koopatrooper fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 14, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Lando posted:

Cool. I know SOA has a great rep. for repairing and fixing their mistakes. So its really just a hassle of getting a rental and all that stuff, paperwork, etc.

That said, I've got a 07 wrx, with a catless bellmouth DP, 3 inch all the way, TurboXS gigantic TMIC, and am running stage 2 off the AP. I plan on getting an 07 sti turbo eventually, bigger FP, slappingo on an intake and getting it protuned. Can you give me an estimate on what I'll be making? 93Oct. east coast gas, sea level.

The intake isn't going to do too much, at most like 12-15hp. If you want one make sure to get a cold air intake, not a short ram, and above all make sure to get tuned. Otherwise, I'd expect you to make between 270-290whp, depending on the dynometer.

Getting your car fixed under warranty usually isn't a problem. Make sure to find a good dealer, and get to know the service manager. I had no issues getting my car serviced, even though it had a melon launcher exhaust and it had be reflashed.

The 08's and 09's had a stop sale order issued for a while because of engine problems. They know its an issue, and if your engine pops under the 6 year 60k warranty, they will replace it given the car isn't obviously abused (read: don't leave drag slips in the car when you take it in) - if you're buying new, make sure to ask if the VIN falls within the stop order. If it does, ask to see the paperwork that shows the service was performed, (basically a hardcore oil change).

The 08+ STi is a great car, I can't wait to get one myself.

atomicfire fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 14, 2009

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

atomicfire posted:

The intake isn't going to do too much, at most like 12-15hp. If you want one make sure to get a cold air intake, not a short ram, and above all make sure to get tuned. Otherwise, I'd expect you to make between 270-290whp, depending on the dynometer.

Getting your car fixed under warranty usually isn't a problem. Make sure to find a good dealer, and get to know the service manager. I had no issues getting my car serviced, even though it had a melon launcher exhaust and it had be reflashed.

The 08's and 09's had a stop sale order issued for a while because of engine problems. They know its an issue, and if your engine pops under the 6 year 60k warranty, they will replace it given the car isn't obviously abused (read: don't leave drag slips in the car when you take it in) - if you're buying new, make sure to ask if the VIN falls within the stop order. If it does, ask to see the paperwork that shows the service was performed, (basically a hardcore oil change).

The 08+ STi is a great car, I can't wait to get one myself.

Yeah I have the CAI sitting in the garage. I know not to put it on without a tune for it, as it jacks up fuel to air ratio. 270-290 sounds pretty good. as high as i want it to be.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

atomicfire posted:

if you're buying new, make sure to ask if the VIN falls within the stop order. If it does, ask to see the paperwork that shows the service was performed, (basically a hardcore oil change).

Would anyone happen to know the VIN range?

pdavious
Dec 31, 2008
I was the proud owner of a 2001 WRX (bugeye) for 500 miles, before second gear decided to explode. Does anyone know the cost of a gearbox for one of these, I'm in the UK.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

pdavious posted:

I was the proud owner of a 2001 WRX (bugeye) for 500 miles, before second gear decided to explode. Does anyone know the cost of a gearbox for one of these, I'm in the UK.
I don't know, but consider one with a strengthened 5-speed (wider gears or the LGT transmission) or maybe a 6-speed if you ahve the cash.
The transmission on thsoe are the weak point of the car.

pdavious
Dec 31, 2008

nm posted:

I don't know, but consider one with a strengthened 5-speed (wider gears or the LGT transmission) or maybe a 6-speed if you ahve the cash.
The transmission on thsoe are the weak point of the car.

Its a WRX with the PPP setup on it, been looking on ebay to get a rough idea and they range from £250 to £3000 which is half the value of the car.

When it went bang I limped it home (about five miles) and the engine still smells 'hot' after sitting on my drive for two days, is it likely that I've hosed anything else up?

I have never had anything like that happen before, second is just gone, nothing at all, you can rev it to buggery. First - no synchro but otherwise fine, third, forth and fifth fine.

Squidward
Feb 15, 2009

bung posted:

I just picked up this 09 WRX Premium today. It's quite an upgrade from the Honda Fit that I traded.

I see you decided on the Ru over the GTI. That's a good looking piece o' machinery. Kim decided on the 09 GTI with DSG.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Someone had her first bath today. She's so cleeeeeeeeean. Its amazing what a little bit of elbow grease will do. Two washes, a clay bar, and a fresh coat of paste wax. Net time I'm definately getting the wax off with a buffer though, my arm hurts.

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/af90bc2bdac62e86d358d15ef95968da6f8b292e/t/IMG_0122[1].jpg[/img]
Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I still don't have a name for her yet.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This thing actually moved yesterday:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

what is it?

This:

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/32

What is it doing at the shop?

Collecting dust, mostly. A local guy bought it from Jeff a year or so ago and it starting having some electrical problems. Among other things, the throttle control board in the hydra broke. We got the repaired hydra back recently and now it's back in the car. There's still some stuff to do to it though, like get it to actually run and re-tune it.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Squidward posted:

I see you decided on the Ru over the GTI. That's a good looking piece o' machinery. Kim decided on the 09 GTI with DSG.

oh my god oh my god dsg dsg dsg dsg <3 its such a sexy car.

On another note, went to a Subaru meet today, saw this:

It's a DIY rotated kit in a bugeye, 520 wheel hp, 2.5l built sti block, sti 6 speed tuned with Hydra. Ran great, didn't get a chance to see it do a pull though

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What is the benefit to a rotated mount turbo setup? Just to facilitate routing the charge piping?

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

ab0z posted:

What is the benefit to a rotated mount turbo setup? Just to facilitate routing the charge piping?

you can fit a turbo that too big to fit in the normal turbo location. The stock turbo location behind and under the intake manifold can only put a turbo about 20g sized with a 3 inch inlet. Stock location GT30R's and such are just 30R CHRA's inside a 20G housing with a 3 inch inlet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yep. a real rotated GT3076 with a 4" inlet will make about 50whp more than a stock location 3076 on the same fuel.

Here's a rotated 35R:

That diy kit has a weird configuration.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always wondered what happened to that car. When you get it running, you should take it for a spin.

I take it an H6 swap is not entirely as easy as it looks?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

physically it will bolt to the transmission and motor mounts and fit in the engine bay. That's where they easy part ends.

And loving right I'm going to drive that thing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

jamal posted:

physically it will bolt to the transmission and motor mounts and fit in the engine bay. That's where they easy part ends.

I have an aquantence that is doing a turbo 6 in an Impreza :) I'll have to ask him how it's coming along.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

Videos.

Lobstaman
Nov 4, 2005
This is where the magic happens
I am now the proud owner of an '09 Forester 2.5x Premium. Sadly my camera has decided to crap out for the time being so no images of the slate grey beauty.

The great thing is I get to test it out in another New England Nor'easter on Wednesday :)

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.

atomicfire posted:

Oh my god no don't buy the Unichip. There's a reason why no one sells it anymore. For $220 there are better options, like the UTEC or the Prova AccessPort. If you're handy with learning and engine tuning, try the Tactrix Cable + RomRaider.

I'm not too sure if the UTEC will hook up correctly without a custom harness, but its best to call TXS about it and check. Hydra would almost certantly work, call up Phil at Element Tuning to find out. Out of all these options, the only one that fits under the $220 you were going to spend on the unichip is the Tactrix cable + RomRaider.

In any case you never want a boost controller on any turbo Subie until whatever ecu you're using has been specifically tuned for the use of a boost controller. The reason being that the ECU will be expecting a certain amount of boost but the boost controller will attempt to make full boost whenever possible. Partial throttle acceleration is the worst, the boost controller will try to make the full boost but the ECU isn't expecting it because the loadpoint in the map only calls for a certain amount of boost. The ECU runs less fuel in the engine, the turbo spools, engine goes lean, boom, blown engine.

Its true a boost controller will build boost quicker, but make sure you get tuned for it before you install it.

Hope this helps.

I'm not experienced with tuning or programming at all, hence why I was looking for an off the shelf solution, I also live in New Zealand, so my parts availability is more JDMyo. From what I have read the unichip will enable me to (more) easily tune the car, and this one was priced well below the other options I've seen.

As for the fuel I've heard that the Version 7 (and STi's in general) over fuel and 18psi is safe, and I haven't heard of any that have blown up with that sort of modification, EBC's are seen as safe if you don't go crazy. Simple boost taps are very common here in NZ, lots of blown engines from overboosted WRX's and Evo's.

Any of the AutoX'ers have an opinion on the rear strut brace to compliment the other suspension bits?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

turning up the boost without a real tune is a terrible, terrible idea.

The newer subarus love to use the knock sensor, so when you start adding air, you get out of the range of the stock fueling maps, making the car very prone to detonation. On top of that the ecu loves to multiply timing tables by each other.

Simply put, with a real tune on a dyno, you will make more power more safely. You should be able to find a shop that uses openecu, which is generally the cheapest way to go since you don't have to buy anything.

utec and ecutek are completely pointless given the ability to tune the stock ecu with opensource (although to be fair opensource is basically just a hacked version of ecutek). Cobb accessports have a few other benefits such as map switching, recovery options, and logging/data monitoring (also speed density now).

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 17, 2009

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, thread made for quite a read. Just got an '00 Legacy B4 RSK with 32,000km, full documented service record from the one previous owner. It is much much better than my mystery history 660cc Suzuki WagonR, R.I.P.

I am noticing the front driver's side making a little clunking noise when hitting bumps. Is that the problem noted early on in the thread where the shock needs a little loving?

Also, occasionally while sitting at idle, the revs drop close to a stall and then pick up again. Current normal idle is 750rpms. Possible related issue: on similar rare occasions, the engine takes a little more time to start. Any ideas?

The dealer has a one year warranty that covers up to what I paid for the car. I am not fully certain what is all covered in said warranty; maybe they could handle anything for these two possible problems.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fun times, I was supposed to get the car back today, but after they put the tranny in and went to reinstall the rear driveshaft, they found that the transfer case basically gnawed away at the end of it so they couldn't reuse it because it is full of gouges. So, they had to order a new rear driveshaft that won't be in till tomorrow morning, so I'll have the car back around noon tomorrow.

The good news, at least, is they told me they would eat the $600 cost of the driveshaft since they didn't catch it earlier.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Just a post to whore out my FXT. I've got a post in the A.I Marketplace thread, but for those that don't check that thread often and are looking for a great VF39 FXT... there's one at the end of that thread (and on eBay).

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
Wow, I would've been all over that FXT if it was posted two weeks ago :(

I take it you did all of the modifications yourself? Would you do it any differently if you could do it again?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FecalFajita posted:

Wow, I would've been all over that FXT if it was posted two weeks ago :(

I take it you did all of the modifications yourself? Would you do it any differently if you could do it again?

Yep, did it myself, really wasn't much to it, just remove-and-replace. I wouldn't change a thing. It is stock looking, but very fast. Totally stock-like ride, until you step on it.

The only down side I've found is the loudness. The 3" turbo-back made significantly more power than the stock STi axle-back I'm running now, but it was ridiculously loud. More so than an Impreza because of the open-box interior of the Forester.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

meatpimp posted:

Just a post to whore out my FXT. I've got a post in the A.I Marketplace thread, but for those that don't check that thread often and are looking for a great VF39 FXT... there's one at the end of that thread (and on eBay).

drat good price on that FXT.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

meatpimp posted:

The only down side I've found is the loudness. The 3" turbo-back made significantly more power than the stock STi axle-back I'm running now, but it was ridiculously loud.

Yeah that's been my issue with the fast subarus that my friends have had. I would love a system like the corvette z06 has where a vacuum controlled butterfly opens up after a certain throttle position is reached to let you enjoy the sound at full throttle, but keep it quiet around town and when cruising.

David Bowie
Aug 12, 2003
Suck the shit out of my asshole you meth-mouthed worthless e-begging fuck. Here is my 10 dollars to the cause you leech on society
Wait till you guys see my upcoming thread with my FXT built. I have an 05 FXT, with a TD06-20G-SL2. its going to the shop this month to get a custom WBR FMIC installed, along with 850cc injectors, new timing belt and tensioners, Prodrive BCS, Perrin BIG MAF intake, and a custom protune by Andy the local Subie god. I would reccommend him to anyone, my previous tune held up for tens of thousands of miles. Its too cold to work on my car and it needs to be finished.

Anyway I expect to hit about 370~AWHP and 420~AWTQ. It looks bone stock, just like Meat Pimp's. Same as the one in this picture minus the roof racks and plus full tints.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Update: Car is sold. Within 40 min of putting it on craigslist I got an email from a local girl who came out with her fiance, drove it, called two hours later and needed my info for the bank to write the check. Supposedly coming to pick it up tomorrow, we'll see!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
From a few weeks ago, having some fun in the snow before taking it apart, finally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vKb4_jl7Y

Not nearly enough ice to get good sideways motion and sliding, but fun nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

yep. a real rotated GT3076 with a 4" inlet will make about 50whp more than a stock location 3076 on the same fuel.

Here's a rotated 35R:

That diy kit has a weird configuration.

is this a reversed mani with air con? Any more info on this setup?