Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Z3n posted:

Oh god, what the gently caress.

The "yut uggghhhh" bit is hilarious though.

As with anything else on the internet it's blown up quite a bit.

Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/joeyhernandez

Some choice quotes there.

quote:

like to kick with my homies gett hyphy i love riding my street bike nothing is better then riding wheelies into the the sun i like to chill it with my friends and party...some people say im the funniest kid they know, some of the stuff i do is straight R-E-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S, and i would like to put that to good use someday................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... i have a huge passion for Sports Cars, absolutely love street bikes but my momma says not till im 18, i think im am going to get one really soon and keep it at a buddies house, i think that be

quote:

violence, fighting, money, electronics,ebay,cars, ladies,football,baseball,madden, ****en helll of **** GSXR and 22's

It's a joke profile, right?

And some people go a bit too far

http://www.ringburn.net/yutughhh/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidward
Feb 15, 2009

bung posted:

So, I bought my Triumph Sprint ST in February of 2007 and to date I have accrued 4,356 miles. I traded my Speed Triple for the Sprint because I had the idea that I wanted the fully faired bike with hard bags for multi-day trips. Two years and no trips later I've decided that I prefer naked bikes. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get the details on consignment sales. I'm also going to check out the 2009 WRX so getting rid of the Sprint will free up a few hundred dollars every month so I can upgrade from the Fit. :whatup: My plan at this point is to pick up a gently used Speed Triple, Street Triple or supermoto of some sort later in the year.

So, Jeff, what happened with this? Do you still have a scoot, or do you need to borrow one of mine to come ride withus again. You know that you are more than welcome to any of the stable, bro.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You guys looking to buy a new bike?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/2543/Motorcycle-Article/Motorcycles-in-Economic-Stimulus-Package.aspx

quote:

Language that provides a tax credit for the purchase of a motorcycle has been added to the current economic stimulus bill, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports. The AMA, working in conjunction with other stakeholders, worked diligently to secure the motorcycle provision within the measure. President Obama is expected to sign the bill into law shortly.

"This inclusive and equitable solution will provide much-needed relief to riders, as well as to those who sell motorcycles," said AMA Vice President for Government Relations Ed Moreland. "When it appeared that motorcycles were going to be overlooked in this bill, the AMA and the Association's members, along with Harley-Davidson and others, took our case straight to Capitol Hill and persuaded lawmakers that this was the right decision."

Moreland added that motorcycle riders are just as likely to have been hit hard by the economic downturn as those who buy automobiles and light-duty trucks. Moreover, motorcyclists typically purchase new bikes, apparel, vehicle servicing and aftermarket equipment from local dealers that are family-owned small businesses.

Specifically, motorcycles are included as "qualified vehicles" in Section 1008 of the legislation. Those purchasing a new motorcycle will be able to deduct the sales and excise taxes on their 2009 tax returns. Prior to the actions taken by the AMA and others, the deductions only applied to the purchase of a new car or light truck.

"We want to thank all motorcyclists who took the time to contact their elected officials," said Moreland. "This victory is particularly gratifying because it represents a community-wide effort to elevate motorcycles as a recognized and viable means of transportation in America. Motorcycles are vital to the reduction of traffic congestion, provide efficient use of limited parking, have far less impact on our roads and bridges, and contribute significantly to our nation's efforts to consume less fuel. Our success today clearly indicates that our legislators are listening."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Harley.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Harley.

Well to be fair, judging by the absolute glut of used Harleys floating around right now I'd say their sales are hurting pretty bad. I would argue that Harleys are probably the most likely to be bought as a luxury item or recreational bike so a downturn like this would hurt them pretty bad.

8ender fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 17, 2009

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

The quote says "new" motorcycle. Does that mean brand new or new to the purchaser? I have a chuckle at all the freaking Harleys for sale here in Phoenix. I think the outlying suburbs are the model for people living beyond their means, so many toy sales and lots of foreclosures. On one hand I feel bad but on the other don't buy stuff if you don't have the cash. Its a bummer that there aren't more sport bikes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
All new motorcycles are luxury items.

I showed this article to my girlfriend this morning, and she nixed it right away. No new bike for me this year :(.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
last time i was at a local bike shop for tires, they were unloading a semi packed full of used bikes they had just bought at an auction somewhere. i mean a lot of drat bikes. talking to the service manager he was saying they were expecting good sales come spring, because people will buy a bike with the intent of saving money on gas and poo poo.

i'm skeptical, we'll see. i hope they're right cause i like them and that could be a really big bad investment for a small local shop.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I know my dealership has been doing fairly well. They met their quota for sales in January, with a total somewhere in the twenties. Sales always tend to pick up around spring time, and used bikes have been pretty popular recently. And if they can't sell them locally, then they'll probably end up on ebay.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/17february09_bmw_sbkracing.htm

Not bad.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

last time i was at a local bike shop for tires, they were unloading a semi packed full of used bikes they had just bought at an auction somewhere. i mean a lot of drat bikes. talking to the service manager he was saying they were expecting good sales come spring, because people will buy a bike with the intent of saving money on gas and poo poo.

i'm skeptical, we'll see. i hope they're right cause i like them and that could be a really big bad investment for a small local shop.

They probably will. That's one of the reasons I bought a bike. Even at two bucks a gallon I'm going to be saving a fair chunk of change for how much I drive. Also, and I may be completely wrong about this, there seem to be a lot more motorcycles on the road then there were a few years ago.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It seems it always comes up but with another thing to maintain, registration, insurance, gear, etc etc. I suppose you might be breaking a little more than even. Although obviously none of us here are riding purely for the economical benefit. Aside from loving to ride my bike. Lane splitting makes it even more worth it. Especially when going to class and being able to cut through the mid afternoon traffic and park in the front. Not to mention everywhere else.

Does anyone think they're really saving "a lot" of money by riding a bike? It'd imagine it being pretty tough if it was your only transport.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
we had a whole faq on "saving money riding a bike" that i wrote up, but the wiki host went down so it's all gone. the tl;dr is that unless you cut a lot of corners, you're not going to save money.

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?

we had a whole faq on "saving money riding a bike" that i wrote up, but the wiki host went down so it's all gone. the tl;dr is that unless you cut a lot of corners, you're not going to save money.

This is true unless you commute to a city like Seattle, where parking costs $16 a day. I park for free with the bike.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

I drive 500-600 miles a week. My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon.
25-30 gallons a week, for four weeks is 100-120 gallons a month (and this is my regular driving load, it goes up if I'm really busy).

Right now at 2.20 for premium I'm spending between $220 and $264 dollars a month on fuel. That's around $55-$66 a week.

My bike gets about 50 miles a gallon. That means to move me the same 500-600 miles is only costing me $20-$24 bucks a week. That's a $140 to $168 a month savings. Even after maintenance and insurance I'm saving some cash.

And when fuel goes back up to $4 and some change a gallon, and it will, my weekly commute will be a lovely $100-$120 bucks for the cage and $40-$48 for the bike.

Sorry to sperg out with the numbers, but your right and wrong. For people who drive an average amount then yeah, a bike won't save them enough at the pump to offset the price of insurance and maintenance. For those of us who spend a sizable chuck of time on the road, the numbers work out differently.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 18, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
At 500 miles a week, you should factor in new tires twice a year. That will add $600-800/year by itself. I assume you are insuring the bike, which can run between $50-100/month(on the cheap end). It ends up being pretty close to a wash.

Keep in mind with that kind of mileage, you'll be wearing the bike out pretty quickly. A lot of bikes don't make it past 40k miles before the cost of needed repairs becomes higher than the value of the machine. Unless it's a BMW, you'll have to replace the bike every few years.

If you had an efficient car, the comparison would not even be close. The car comes out much farther ahead.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MrKatharsis posted:

At 500 miles a week, you should factor in new tires twice a year. That will add $600-800/year by itself. I assume you are insuring the bike, which can run between $50-100/month(on the cheap end). It ends up being pretty close to a wash.

Well, that depends too. I pay $78 a year for my insurance, and that's what, 6 bucks a month? And some of us assholes still put Chen Shins on our bikes :haw:

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Well, that depends too. I pay $78 a year for my insurance, and that's what, 6 bucks a month? And some of us assholes still put Chen Shins on our bikes :haw:

Yeah I would only have to pay about 120 a year if I didn't have insane amounts of medical insurance on my bikes insurance as well. Even with that it works itself out to being much less then car insurance. For me, the motorcycle does save money, but not much, and this is because it is my only form of transportation with a motor, no car for me. Even then, my bike seems to break a whole bunch, so that figure is evening itself out as well.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

MrKatharsis posted:

Keep in mind with that kind of mileage, you'll be wearing the bike out pretty quickly. A lot of bikes don't make it past 40k miles before the cost of needed repairs becomes higher than the value of the machine. Unless it's a BMW, you'll have to replace the bike every few years.

If you had an efficient car, the comparison would not even be close. The car comes out much farther ahead.

But he doesn't have an efficient car, he has a middling efficiency car. Replacing that with an efficient car also has a cost, and so you can't say that the bike vs. car cost breakdown is invalid.

Which is a big gripe of mine in the motorcycle economy discussions, which have a tendency toward optimizing the car scenario while picking a very suboptimal (in regards to cost/mile) bike scenario.

I think motorcycling to save money is probably a wash but if you factor your costs realistically with the motorcycle compared to the costs of a car it can come out being a really cheap way to have more fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know why people need to justify bikes with mileage and cost savings and all that. Ride because you like it.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont know why people need to justify bikes with mileage and cost savings and all that. Ride because you like it.

Yeah when did "saving money" stop being the excuse that gets you the greenlight from your wife, and become some pseudo-valid wallet reasoning?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Christoff posted:

Does anyone think they're really saving "a lot" of money by riding a bike? It'd imagine it being pretty tough if it was your only transport.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Saving money by riding a bike. That hilarious. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'm gonna go buy a new exhaust for the DRZ to go with the carb I bought last week and the new jacket I bought two weeks ago.

Oh god I have a problem.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So in conclusion. In the type of hands that most motorcycle riders are. (Impulse buyers, enthusiasts, etc)

Definitely not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want to ride and save money, buy a used Honda Elite 80 for as cheap as possible, dont wear gear, and dont insure it.

There, you're saving money. You arent being smart, safe, or anything else, but you're saving money.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

If you want to ride and save money, buy a used Honda Elite 80 for as cheap as possible, dont wear gear, and dont insure it.

There, you're saving money. You arent being smart, safe, or anything else, but you're saving money.

Seriously, a Honda Elite 80 is THE cheap way to get on two wheels. You can find them for really really cheap if you look around and everyone thinks they are 50cc. Considering picking up this one for my girlfriend to ride around town.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1037772128.html

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pr0zac posted:

Seriously, a Honda Elite 80 is THE cheap way to get on two wheels. You can find them for really really cheap if you look around and everyone thinks they are 50cc. Considering picking up this one for my girlfriend to ride around town.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1037772128.html

Oh god I've seen those before and they're ugly as hell. Like something out of a cheesy futuristic film from the 60s. Lien sale on a 1985 honda scooter?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As it was mentioned in the money saving FAQ, most who consider commuting on a bike will not actually sell their car. So all the fixed costs on the car remain. I don't have a car so I would commute on the bus. Even with last summer's eyewatering gas prices, the fuel cost to and from work was less than half of the bus ticket. The door to door time was a third. But for the price of the bike, the upkeep, the gear and the cool extras I could have ridden that bus for years. I bought the bike for the fun of riding, a cheaper commute is just a hollow rationalization that's fun to throw around. And riding to work in torrential rain and heavy traffic is more comfortable than the drat bus anyway.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I would think the purchase price would push things in favor of a bike. Compare a 5k 2006 SV650 to a 18k 2006 Civic. And that's assuming you don't want equivalent performance in the car.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

New meats for my nighthawk are pretty cheap. I can get decent tires (I'm not tracking it or thrashing it around in general) for about $140 a set. I'm planing on two to three sets a year, so it's not that bad. My insurance is about $550 a year, so again, not too bad. An '82 Nighthawk has plenty of readily available parts, so it's not too bad.

Compared to the start up costs for getting a fuel efficent car that's not beat to poo poo at this point (I can buy 1.6L Civics for a couple of grand all day long out here, assuming having 250-300k isn't a turn off), my bike came out much cheaper.

Plus it is fun as hell to tool around on a bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was checking my bank statement recently...

I spend over 65% of my total income on motorcycle related things.

So...in my experience, riding a motorcycle is a lovely way to save money. :shobon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Might as well keep your money tied up in vehicle suited for quick escape from rioting masses instead of placed in the hands of unstable banks. :tinfoil:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrKatharsis posted:

This bit is true...

quote:

Bikes don't wear out in 40k miles. They just.. don't. Most of them never make it there, for various reasons. But none of the reasons is "worn out".

quote:

We've done the math before. Compare a prius to a EX250, and the prius comes out way ahead. Even comparing my focus to my GS550. I'm not saying the difference is huge. But after insurance, tires, sprockets, chains, figure a set of forkseals every 20,000 miles

Phat_Albert posted:

See... that WOULD save money.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I was checking my bank statement recently...

I spend over 65% of my total income on motorcycle related things.

So...in my experience, riding a motorcycle is a lovely way to save money. :shobon:

You've just made me feel so much better about the amount I spend.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 18, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

We've done the math before. Compare a prius to a EX250, and the prius comes out way ahead. Even comparing my focus to my GS550. I'm not saying the difference is huge. But after insurance, tires, sprockets, chains, figure a set of forkseals every 20,000 miles

Do you have a link to that? Because I'm trying to figure out how my $1000 bike is going to be more expensive then an (checking craigslist for the cheapest one) $11,000 dollar hybrid.

I'm not saying it can't, I've had money pit projects before, but I just don't see the how.

Also how often to do sprockets and chains wear out? Is that a once a year thing, or is it every set of tires that goes on?

And as far as that Elite suggestion: There is an Elite 150 over at the wrecking yard that runs... for like $200 bucks.

I had to tell myself "No!" and swat my face with a rolled up newspaper to keep me from bungeeing into my trunk.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

You've just made me feel so much better about the amount I spend.

Can't put a price on the things you love. :v: There's some additional stuff in there that I haven't sorted out just yet, but...yeah. This is for the last couple of months.

So I live paycheck to paycheck to fund it...who cares. :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 19, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Tires are a 2-10,000 mile thing. Chains and sprockets are a 2-30,000 mile thing. Depends on if it's a plain ,or o-ring chain and what conditions you run it in. Bikes tend to need new batteries every 2-4 years. Cars (at least mine..) go 8.

The more powerful the bike, and the heavier the bike, the faster they use tires. A CB750 both has lots of torque, and is quite heavy.

I think the last time I did the math, I did it "my focus" versus "my GS550ES" Both of which have had amazing reliability records. My focus won out by a decent margin. Including a $400 repair or two.

When doing the math, be sure to figure in riding gear. That fits in the same category as oil changes and windshield wiper blades on a car.

I believe, if you're careful. And you get good deals on your stuff. And your car is expesive to drive or park. A bike can be cheaper to commute on. Under most circumstances, it's not.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Tires are a 2-10,000 mile thing. Chains and sprockets are a 2-30,000 mile thing. Depends on if it's a plain ,or o-ring chain and what conditions you run it in. Bikes tend to need new batteries every 2-4 years. Cars (at least mine..) go 8.

The more powerful the bike, and the heavier the bike, the faster they use tires. A CB750 both has lots of torque, and is quite heavy.

I think the last time I did the math, I did it "my focus" versus "my GS550ES" Both of which have had amazing reliability records. My focus won out by a decent margin. Including a $400 repair or two.

When doing the math, be sure to figure in riding gear. That fits in the same category as oil changes and windshield wiper blades on a car.

I believe, if you're careful. And you get good deals on your stuff. And your car is expesive to drive or park. A bike can be cheaper to commute on. Under most circumstances, it's not.

Thanks for the info on the chains and sprockets. Do you have any experience with "x-link" chains? Price wise they fall between the standard and the o-ring, but have the 20,000 mile warranty that the o-ring chains come with.

As far as conditions I run it in: I ride like a little old lady drives. I'm gentle on the throttle, I don't go over the speed limit, and I don't get on the gas coming from a full stop. In fact if you see me dragging a knee on this thing that means that things have gone terribly wrong and I am need of assistance (because I'm about to start dragging shoulder, face, groin, and speedometer). I'm thinking two sets of Kendas a year should do me.

I get about 2 years out my car batteries, Arizona summers with outside parking are pretty brutal on them.

Gear is really a non factor to me, whether or not by bike was going to be a daily driver I still needed a full set of gear. Even then everything I bought was on clearance so my gear only cost me a little over $400. In three years or so I'll look for another cheap-o Snell helmet, but unless something really bad happens I shouldn't have to replace my leathers or my textile pants for quite some time.

Also the beauty of Arizona, with its 360 riding days a year, all my gear is warm weather, so I don't really need to get rain or winter gear.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

What? This doesnt even make sense. Since when are BMW's the only bike that can do high mileage? Since when is 40K the end?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

What? This doesnt even make sense. Since when are BMW's the only bike that can do high mileage? Since when is 40K the end?

Most people don't count bikes as going over 40k because honestly who's seen a sportbike over 40k.

I've owned 3 (52k, 49k, 140k). Maybe more, counting the bikes where no one knew how many miles they had on them. With good care, any modern bike should do at least 200k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
My 88' ex500 just turned over 40k miles in november. The odometer reads 20k, but it was replaced at roughly 20k miles on the motor from word of previous owner. Just got the compression tested at the shop (needed work done on the carbs, so they double checked compression due to its age) and it's still right around 150psi and running strong. I'm a firm believer in properly maintained engines lasting forever. My first car was a ford f150 with 500,000 miles on the motor, and not a single problem because it was maintained perfectly.

The reason you don't see sport bikes with 50k+ miles on them very much is because for most people they are not commuter vehicles, just toys.