Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I forget what are the different demons and devils.

Devils:
Erinyes?

Demons:
Succubi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Affi posted:

I forget what are the different demons and devils.

Devils:
Erinyes?

Demons:
Succubi?

Demons and Devils, at least from the SRD-legal MM.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hmm, that's interesting. Sabine is certainly a Succubus, not an Eryines, since she has the energy drain and shapechange abilities. However, in this strip that DoctorTristan pointed out, She also has the ability to Plane Shift once per day. Succubi definately do not get that ability naturally. Wonder if that's a mistake by Burlew.

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

Mylan posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. Sabine is certainly a Succubus, not an Eryines, since she has the energy drain and shapechange abilities. However, in this strip that DoctorTristan pointed out, She also has the ability to Plane Shift once per day. Succubi definately do not get that ability naturally. Wonder if that's a mistake by Burlew.

She probably has it as a result of the advancement option, since I doubt a challenge rating 7 enemy would be much of a challenge to a party of level 13 to 14 PCs.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mylan posted:

She's also certainly a Succubus since she's a demon?

Which is cool because V is dealing with Devils now :)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Hehe oops, got my planes mixed up there :) But I can't think of any other likely reason for V being pre-approved.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Mylan posted:

Brachina (an advanced type of erinyes that's a closer analogue to a succubus than an erinyes is) do get plane shift 1/day, but they don't have any means to energy drain which I'm pretty sure Sabine has done before. She's probably an advanced succubus - Imps can't teleport by default, either.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

DoctorTristan posted:

Hehe oops, got my planes mixed up there :) But I can't think of any other likely reason for V being pre-approved.

Kubota was just some low-level aristocrat schmo, who was already evil. The Lower Planes were gonna get his soul when he died no matter what, and it's not like he could do a lot for them. V on the other hand is a high-level PC spellcaster, which could be hugely useful for the Hells; also, once V's soul gets signed over, the Lower Planes get one more soul to play with. V is just so much more attractive a get.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
What exactly does happen to V after he signs the pact and then eventually dies? Will he face an eternity of hell or just get sent down there with all his arcane powers in place?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well have the time people who make faustian bargains end up outsmarting the devil anyway. See: Faust.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

greatn posted:

Well have the time people who make faustian bargains end up outsmarting the devil anyway. See: Faust.

Unless I've got my Göthe terribly wrong, isn't he just forgiven and redeemed by God because God felt like it?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

tazman posted:

What exactly does happen to V after he signs the pact and then eventually dies? Will he face an eternity of hell or just get sent down there with all his arcane powers in place?

Usually they become the slave of whoever their signed their soul to. That devil/demon can eat them or use them however they want. Some souls eventually overpower their masters and become bigger/badder demons themselves.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New comic:

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Something that just occured to me: It's been mentioned that the black dragon mom could have just used True Resurrection, which kind of makes the entire "vengeance" thing rather confusing.

What if this is all a show to get V to sell her soul?

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 18, 2009

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Best new characters in the strip since... forever.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

ZorbaTHut posted:

Something that just occured to me: It's been mentioned that the black dragon mom could have just used True Resurrection

This has already been pointed out. True ressurection is very difficult, requiring a level 17 cleric (which might not even exist- http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0579.html ). Any other form of ressurection is out of the question, since the body was completely destroyed and the powdered remains sank into the swamp.

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 18, 2009

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Also note that, even if Mama Dragon was able to True Resurrect her son, she would probably still want revenge on the person who killed him. I mean a perfectly good aligned mother would be looking for some form of payback for their childs murder, even if they were bought back to life, nevermind a black dragon. In fact, the only thing that would be likely to change would be that if her son was alive, is he'd probably be itching for some revenge himself, although they probably wouldnt be thinking of leaving the plane.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

terminal mehmet posted:

Best new characters in the strip since... forever.

aren't these the beings that Sabine went to visit when she learned about the Snarl's Gates? I remember those guys all had different colored eyes too, and the imp mentioned he doesn't recognize them. I can't check right now the giantitp site isn't loading for me.

edit: yeah, that's them http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html

bison wings fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 18, 2009

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Noonsaliwah posted:

This has already been pointed out. True ressurection is very difficult, requiring a level 17 cleric (which might not even exist- http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0579.html ). Any other form of ressurection is out of the question, since the body was completely destroyed and the powdered remains sank into the swamp.

Right, but I don't think anyone mentioned the idea that the dragon's kid was resurrected just fine, and everything since then has just been a scheme.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

bison wings posted:

aren't these the beings that Sabine went to visit when she learned about the Snarl's Gates? I remember those guys all had different colored eyes too, and the imp mentioned he doesn't recognize them. I can't check right now the giantitp site isn't loading for me.

Oh nice. This is a far better introduction, though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bison wings posted:

So if I'm reading this right, these three beings are interested in things that can tip the cosmic balance between good and evil in their favor? And one of these things is V? drat, must be a hell of a deal they're giving him.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
Also it means you can ignore stuff people were saying earlier about Demons not being Devils and so on.

They're an alliance that opposes the blood war- either three Ultraloths or just one of each kind of fiend- and they can no doubt recruit Yugoloths(Daemons), Demons, and Devils and other fiends as they see fit.

Then again, it's nor clear Burlew has a regular cosmology set-up anyway, but either way they're more versatile than you'd exect a normal fiend villain to be.

(edit) also wasn't one of the snarl gates in elven lands?

happyelf fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 18, 2009

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

HKR posted:

New comic:

This was just pointed out to me.

LEe (Lawful Evil)
NEro (Neutral Evil)
CEdrik (Chaotic Evil)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Any guesses as to which fiend is which? The third panel made me think that purple-eyes might be the demon, but the last panel made me less sure.

Also, the idea of a fiend names "Cedrik" is hilarious to me for some reason.

Edit: /\/\/\/\ Oho, that's neat

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Seluin posted:

LEe (Lawful Evil)
NEro (Neutral Evil)
CEdrik (Chaotic Evil)
Going by that I would imagine Lee has to be purple (love of fine-print), the other two I would say Nero is orange (seemingly motivated by self-interest) and Cedrik is yellow (more relaxed, less of a stick up his rear end)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

happyelf posted:

(edit) also wasn't one of the snarl gates in elven lands?

Yes, apparently it was burned down in the origin book, I forget the title of it though.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Grim posted:

Going by that I would imagine Lee has to be purple (love of fine-print), the other two I would say Nero is orange (seemingly motivated by self-interest) and Cedrik is yellow (more relaxed, less of a stick up his rear end)

You think the Lawful Evil character would be introduced with some cheesy joke? I think you have purple and yellow backwards, though I doubt it will become important to know which is which.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
God drat. I've been wanting to go back and reread the first part of the story over again, but OOTS has really, really lovely loading problems. Every time I try to go to his site, it never loads.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I went and archived the entire run over a couple of hours for that reason :v:

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

I don't want to sift through 150 pages of this thread, I was just wondering what people were thought about this little conundrum with the Shadowdancer from long ago:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0229.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0242.html

Burlew seems like the kinda guy that would reintroduce these characters eventually when another shadow finally appears, and explain that they've been trapped in a pocket dimension this whole time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The Shadowdancer was killed in the end of the the siege of Azure City; he was part of the group of prisoners who were released to fight for the city in exchange for commuted sentences. I can't remember the exact circumstances though, or if the dwarf was there, though.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Unless that was in the extra material included in the books, I think you're wrong.

The criminal who is introduced here-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html

And dies here-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html

Isn't the same guy as the shadowdancer. The dwarf doesn't make any appearences at all, as far as I can recall.
I expect them both to appear at some point in the future, if only to turn up and die almost straight away.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Those two have probably given up by now:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

You're right; they look similar, but that's almost certainly not the same guy.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
New strip is out...

Is this Soul Splicing thing something Burlew made up or is it established in D&D rules already?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Something new for sure.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
So they're willing to help V with never-before-seen arcane power, but their true purpose is the most evil of all:

Office Politics!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well we know which alignments they are now! Orange is Lawful Evil, Purple is Neutral Evil and Yellow is Chaotic Stupid.

Their deal is too good to be true! (it is)
They'll have control over V at three occasions of their choosing, and if V makes too many good will saves they can have him for a week even. (they can also have him kill his own family)

edit; Also that strip ended abruptly, second 'page' was only a halfer!

fake edit; Riddled with spelling errors too!

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

I was hoping for something more permanent from this deal... After this arc finally ends: Elan got a prestige class, Roy got new feats from the afterlife, Haley got a magic weapon and a haircut, Belkar got a new alignment? (chaotic evil to neutral evil it seems), and Durkon hasn't been featured much but I have a feeling he's coming up. It's like Burlew is loading up shiny new toys for everyone but all V gets is three betray-your-friends-plot-devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well theoretically this can solve a lot of things. With the power at V's command he can theoretically kill the dragon then go kill Xykon.