Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

meatpimp posted:

Just a post to whore out my FXT. I've got a post in the A.I Marketplace thread, but for those that don't check that thread often and are looking for a great VF39 FXT... there's one at the end of that thread (and on eBay).

I was reading your eBay posting and saw this note:

quote:

The only issue that I know of with the car right now is a neutral switch that screws into the side of the transmission. If you are on the road and using Cruise Control for a while (usually over an hour), the neutral switch will send a false neutral signal and disengage cruise. I always forget about this until I'm on the road, but the sensor is less than $30 from a dealer and is very easy to replace. I just never got around to doing it.

My '04 FXT does the same poo poo. Apparently it's common on the 04 manuals. I figured out that if you push right on the shifter for a few seconds in 5th gear and set the cruise, it will stay on just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bob Sapp Please posted:

My '04 FXT does the same poo poo. Apparently it's common on the 04 manuals. I figured out that if you push right on the shifter for a few seconds in 5th gear and set the cruise, it will stay on just fine.

Yep, I found that trick, too. With mine, I found that it would do it when the car started up an incline, putting more load on the drivetrain.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Hey guys, thread made for quite a read. Just got an '00 Legacy B4 RSK with 32,000km, full documented service record from the one previous owner. It is much much better than my mystery history 660cc Suzuki WagonR, R.I.P.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Nice lookin' car, welcome!

Edit:

jamal posted:

Simply put, with a real tune on a dyno, you will make more power more safely. You should be able to find a shop that uses openecu, which is generally the cheapest way to go since you don't have to buy anything.

utec and ecutek are completely pointless given the ability to tune the stock ecu with opensource (although to be fair opensource is basically just a hacked version of ecutek). Cobb accessports have a few other benefits such as map switching, recovery options, and logging/data monitoring (also speed density now).

What's your opinion on using RomRaider + cable at home for someone who doesn't know much about "tuning"? I'm into learning, and it definitely is much cheaper than Cobb. I guess it's all about making sure you get a good map.

Sabotaged fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 18, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

atomicfire posted:

is this a reversed mani with air con? Any more info on this setup?

yeah, it is. I think all you need is a shorter belt and some custom fab work for the piping of course.

Another good way to rotate the manifold is to use an 05+ legacy or 08+ wrx plastic manifold. It puts the throttle body right behind the power steering pump which gives lots of room for piping. Our shop owner/tuner pretty much invented the setup.

This is my friend's 565whp Legacy:

Sabotaged posted:

What's your opinion on using RomRaider + cable at home for someone who doesn't know much about "tuning"? I'm into learning, and it definitely is much cheaper than Cobb. I guess it's all about making sure you get a good map.

I would not recommend it. You're right that it is all about the good tune, and the means don't matter all that much. To get that good tune you should find someone with a dyno who knows what they are doing. A downloaded map is not the same thing. Accessport has a lot of very nice features, but you can get an opensource tune done for less. We charge $1000 for an accessport and tune combo, while an AP retails for $700 and we charge $475 for an opensource tune.

jamal fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 18, 2009

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
I figured someone who reads this thread might like this, but I made a very simple wallpaper out of a picture of my gf's and my WRX from this past weeeknd. I was happy how it turned out.

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

yeah, it is. I think all you need is a shorter belt and some custom fab work for the piping of course.

Another good way to rotate the manifold is to use an 05+ legacy or 08+ wrx plastic manifold. It puts the throttle body right behind the power steering pump which gives lots of room for piping. Our shop owner/tuner pretty much invented the setup.

This is my friend's 565whp Legacy:

I would not recommend it. You're right that it is all about the good tune, and the means don't matter all that much. To get that good tune you should find someone with a dyno who knows what they are doing. A downloaded map is not the same thing. Accessport has a lot of very nice features, but you can get an opensource tune done for less. We charge $1000 for an accessport and tune combo, while an AP retails for $700 and we charge $475 for an opensource tune.

Thanks for that picture. I would LOVE to learn more about that setup, like fittment, modifications needed, time it took, and more pictures. Looks beautiful!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Woohoo for getting my car back finally.

Holy crap does the clutch feel different. Actually, the clutch itself feels about the same as far as how it grabs, but the slave cylinder is what feels different. That got replaced with the transmission and this one is about 10x lighter in feel. I'm used to the clutch feeling like a bench press (it's been like that since new), but this one feels like most of the other cars I've driven.

I wonder if this means I have a newer transmission revision in my car. Does anyone know if they have a stock of original 2002 tramissions sitting around new for when a new transmission is called for on a 2002, or do I have the equivalent of the 2004 transmission in there now with it's slightly wider gears?

The dealer couldn't tell me, they say they just order by VIN. I find it hard to believe that subaru would keep making all revisions of a certain transmission though unless they just have a ton in stock.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
The clutch in my 02 is very light, I don't think I've driven a WRX or a Legacy with a clutch that was very hard to engage, they're all been fairly light.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TurboLuvah posted:

The clutch in my 02 is very light, I don't think I've driven a WRX or a Legacy with a clutch that was very hard to engage, they're all been fairly light.

Mine was always like a leg press, even when brand new. It wasn't the actual clutch part of it either because that's been replaced before.

I almost put my foot through the floor when I got into my car this afternoon.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Mine was always like a leg press, even when brand new. It wasn't the actual clutch part of it either because that's been replaced before.

I almost put my foot through the floor when I got into my car this afternoon.

Ha ha yeah I've done that after driving heavy clutches, makes me feel like an idiot. Glad you got the car back together, time to buy that 09 WRX now...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TurboLuvah posted:

time to buy that 09 WRX now...

Heh, time to pay off this bill first.

The 09 (or maybe 10, depending on when) WRX will likely be bought this year though. I can't pass up that sweet sweet tax deduction for next year.

Now, as long as I don't have any bad luck with the engine, I should be good to go with my bugeye for a long long time, especially if it's being used as a 2nd car by the end of this year. The new transmission has a 3 year 36k mile warranty.

I still got two things I need to address on it. I have a damaged wheel speed sensor on the right rear wheel and I need to replace the front O2 sensor.

The dealer wanted $250 and $350 respectively to do those two things. Since each sensor is between $115 and $150, I couldn't bring myself to have them replace it and pay the extra in labor when neither are that hard to do myself.

I just need to do the o2 sensor before June or I won't pass inspection.

I'll be interested to see what my gas milage shapes up to be after this repair. It couldn't have been good for economy with all that was going on in there. It should jump yet again when I replace the O2 sensor. Maybe I'll be able to get my 28mpg highway that I used to get.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

My bugeye has been returning around 21-24mpg highway, with CC on and off here and there, and in town driving. I'm pretty sure I could milk it if I drove extremely cautiously, but it's a little disappointing since my Legacy GT would usually return about 25-28mpg highway. It did have a freer flowing up/downpipe and a custom tune, so I'm hoping my mileage will increase after I start throwing exhaust parts on the 02.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the first few years, I would average around 25 highway/city driving and managed to get 28mpg a few times going between Pittsburgh and DC on the PA turnpike. That was averaging between 70mph and 80mph with the ac on too.

Fuel economy started taking a nosedive in the past few years. I know tires are part of it, the RE92s had so little rolling resistance and are so light that I had a noticeable drop when I changed tires. Still though, I would get between 23 and 25 with my combo of city/highway.

In the past two years or so, I've been pretty much consistently getting 19-21 no matter how I drive or where (city or highway). Looking back, I think my center diff was starting to go well over a year ago with some of the signs I saw, so that extra drag in the drivetrain probably didn't do the fuel economy any favors.

I also had a noticeable drop in standing during autocross for the spring season of 2008. People I could keep pace with or beat usually, I couldn't touch. I just figured I couldn't get my head in the game and that others improved much more than me. Now, looking back, I'm wondering if the diff starting to seize was affecting both my acceleration and handling enough to goof me up a bit. It was in the final autocross of the spring 2008 season that the diff seized noticeably for the first time. I was trying to accelerate hard out of a tight turn after I got off the brakes and the car bogged down hard. I figured it was my brakes overheating and seizing, I know better now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

atomicfire posted:

Thanks for that picture. I would LOVE to learn more about that setup, like fittment, modifications needed, time it took, and more pictures. Looks beautiful!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596190

That reversed manifold STi was on the dyno tonight. It's having some fueling issues but still managed to make 400whp on 91 at 18psi. That car has a GT35R and full race twin-scroll headers and up-pipe along with one of those fancy axis/raw longblocks. That header is amazing. And expensive. The H6 is also moving around under it's own power finally. I think it's going on the dyno tomorrow.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 19, 2009

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

In the first few years, I would average around 25 highway/city driving and managed to get 28mpg a few times going between Pittsburgh and DC on the PA turnpike. That was averaging between 70mph and 80mph with the ac on too.

Fuel economy started taking a nosedive in the past few years. I know tires are part of it, the RE92s had so little rolling resistance and are so light that I had a noticeable drop when I changed tires. Still though, I would get between 23 and 25 with my combo of city/highway.

In the past two years or so, I've been pretty much consistently getting 19-21 no matter how I drive or where (city or highway). Looking back, I think my center diff was starting to go well over a year ago with some of the signs I saw, so that extra drag in the drivetrain probably didn't do the fuel economy any favors.

You get 19 in town? Wow. I've been tracking my mileage since around Thanksgiving, and you can work out which points reflect mileage in town:

I'm tempted to switch the units to Imperial gallons to make me feel better.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
My mileage in the 08 GT is pretty mediocre considering most of my commute is highway, but I think most of that is due to pretty serious elevation changes during that drive. Time of year also has an affect. Dead of winter here in VT, and it's -10 when I'm out the door. Combine the above conditions with 1.) Warm up time before the car is even remotely usable. 2.) Driving time while car is still not up to temp 3.) atmospheric conditions (differences in air content between 30 degrees and -10 degrees F is pretty significant - also seriously affects tire inflation and I'm not on top of it as I should be.

In short, I'm lucky to average 21-22 my commute during winter. During summer, I see closer to 25-26. The higher ethanol content I'm sure doesn't help as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr JonboyG posted:

You get 19 in town? Wow.

In all fairness "town" is a relative term. I don't do much city stop and go driving.

Really though, it rarely dips below 19mpg for me. I don't keep a log, but I reset the trip computer every time I fillup out of habit and do the quick mental math at the pump to make sure everything is going smoothly. Usually, if i'm below 20 at all, that means that the weather has been crappy, the roads have been lovely, and I've been sitting in a lot of traffic.

The worst mileage I ever noted was 13mpg on a single tank. I really had no explanation as to why that was and it never really got that low again.

Here's a question, do you have access to 93 or just 91? PA pumps are pretty much all 93 for premium and the only big one that carries 91 is Sunoco as a cheaper alternative to 93 (which they also carry). That actually kind of pisses me off because a few years ago their top grade was 94 and 93 was the cheaper alternative.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596190

That reversed manifold STi was on the dyno tonight. It's having some fueling issues but still managed to make 400whp on 91 at 18psi. That car has a GT35R and full race twin-scroll headers and up-pipe along with one of those fancy axis/raw longblocks. That header is amazing. And expensive. The H6 is also moving around under it's own power finally. I think it's going on the dyno tomorrow.

:drool:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

In short, I'm lucky to average 21-22 my commute during winter.
Really? I'm making about 20 city this winter. My highway milage is much higher.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The extra bloat of the GT doesn't help. I also just changed out my air filter (17k miles on it), so I'm hoping that will help a bit as well. ;)

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
9-2x Aeros with a 5 speed aren't all that common in the used market. :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

The extra bloat of the GT doesn't help. I also just changed out my air filter (17k miles on it), so I'm hoping that will help a bit as well. ;)
I have an LGT wagon.
Though the 05s are quite a bit lighter than the 08s.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

9-2x Aeros with a 5 speed aren't all that common in the used market. :(

I know, so how come no one will buy mine? :(

After a month and a half of having it listed all I've had are lowballers from Craigslist, one "broker" that was obviously a scam, and one guy that came to look at it then never called me back.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
How's the road noise and visibility in Foresters?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

In all fairness "town" is a relative term. I don't do much city stop and go driving.

Really though, it rarely dips below 19mpg for me. I don't keep a log, but I reset the trip computer every time I fillup out of habit and do the quick mental math at the pump to make sure everything is going smoothly. Usually, if i'm below 20 at all, that means that the weather has been crappy, the roads have been lovely, and I've been sitting in a lot of traffic.

The worst mileage I ever noted was 13mpg on a single tank. I really had no explanation as to why that was and it never really got that low again.

Here's a question, do you have access to 93 or just 91? PA pumps are pretty much all 93 for premium and the only big one that carries 91 is Sunoco as a cheaper alternative to 93 (which they also carry). That actually kind of pisses me off because a few years ago their top grade was 94 and 93 was the cheaper alternative.

Always 93, and I only ever fill up at a Shell or BP.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

nm posted:

I have an LGT wagon.
Though the 05s are quite a bit lighter than the 08s.

For some reason I was thinking turboluvah. (sold GT for WRX/forester?)

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

In short, I'm lucky to average 21-22 my commute during winter.

My 04 WRX with an exhaust leak is getting 16 mpg right now. :smug:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm getting only 8.2 :tipshat: km/L

By the way, could anyone confirm my suspicions or is this thread only for cool people with WRXs and STis?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

I'm getting only 8.2 :tipshat: km/L

By the way, could anyone confirm my suspicions or is this thread only for cool people with WRXs and STis?

Seeing as how about eighty of us have Legacy GTs and have talked about them in here, yes, yes it is.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bud Manstrong posted:

Seeing as how about eighty of us have Legacy GTs and have talked about them in here, yes, yes it is.

I meant in my post, I had a question about my front drivers side wheel making a clunking sound. It would have made me warm and fuzzy if someone would have confirmed the cause.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106147
Techs at this guy's dealership thrash his car. But he had a running inboard camera setup, and caught everything.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Techs at this guy's dealership thrash his car. But he had a running inboard camera setup, and caught everything.

This is my greatest fear. Even when I am in for my oil change I watch my car like a hawk. (Yeah, I dont change my own oil. Too lazy.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I meant in my post, I had a question about my front drivers side wheel making a clunking sound. It would have made me warm and fuzzy if someone would have confirmed the cause.

I have a '99 Forester but I don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

upsciLLion posted:

How's the road noise and visibility in Foresters?

The road noise really depends on the tires and the front windows. My 03 Forester was fairly noisy with the horrible stock tires at interstate speeds, but after I replaced them with good all-seasons, the noise dropped dramatically and the ride improved as well.

Windows play a big part in the noise as well, since the Forester had frameless windows until the 09 model year, and they can cause a lot of wind noise.

If the front windows get flexed a lot (usually from people using them to close the doors), the glass will gradually spread apart a metal bracket inside the side mirror housing, which leads to a lot of wind noise at highway speeds.

The problem can often be fixed by simply rolling down the affected window and clamping a vice grip down on the triangular piece that houses the side mirror. Doing this bends the bracket back where it should be, and if done right (it requires no mechanical skill whatsoever), the noise will vanish.

With decent tires and good window seals, there is a bit of road and wind noise present, but it's still easy to carry on a normal conversation, sleep or listen to the radio without having to turn it up to 11.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have an 04 WRX park on a hill pretty much everyday and now the parking brake doesn't really have that high pitched cranking sound anymore when I pull it up...Is this a sign that its going to need to be tightened soon?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

drat what a bunch of assholes. I would be raising absolute hell if I were the owner of that LGT, that is bullshit.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

lovely to actually see it happening, but that's pretty much what I expect techs to do with my car whenever I take it in (although I think I've only taken my LGT into a shop once so far.)

Sure would have been nice to have that camera set up on a few traffic stops I've been involved in.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll ask this in the Subaru thread I guess.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3082591

Thats my thread I posted about an hour ago. I basically need my Clutch fork/throwout bearings replaced. How much should somebody charge me for a job like this?

And I guess the other question is can I sit on this for a while or should I repair it ASAP. The only problem I have right now is the annoying chirping that it is making.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 20, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

expect at least $400 in labor plus parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

azflyboy posted:

The road noise really depends on the tires and the front windows. My 03 Forester was fairly noisy with the horrible stock tires at interstate speeds, but after I replaced them with good all-seasons, the noise dropped dramatically and the ride improved as well.

Windows play a big part in the noise as well, since the Forester had frameless windows until the 09 model year, and they can cause a lot of wind noise.

If the front windows get flexed a lot (usually from people using them to close the doors), the glass will gradually spread apart a metal bracket inside the side mirror housing, which leads to a lot of wind noise at highway speeds.

The problem can often be fixed by simply rolling down the affected window and clamping a vice grip down on the triangular piece that houses the side mirror. Doing this bends the bracket back where it should be, and if done right (it requires no mechanical skill whatsoever), the noise will vanish.

With decent tires and good window seals, there is a bit of road and wind noise present, but it's still easy to carry on a normal conversation, sleep or listen to the radio without having to turn it up to 11.

One of the things my girlfriend and I dislike most about her Civic is how it sounds like every noise is coming in through a megaphone, so this is good to know. Could you comment about the visibility?