Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

I'm planning to test drive this tomorrow:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1007707144.html

What say you guys? Good deal if it runs well?

Looks like the left side may be consumed by rust. No floor pan pictures. I smell bad news. Unless you're a bodywork master, steer well clear.

If you don't care about the ride quality of leaf springs, look for a YJ, preferably 91-up, when 4.0 and fuel injection was introduced.

e: EFI 4.0 is '91

incredibull fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If you have to ask when the ad says "Needs floor pans", no.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

Ah, okay. Other than having driven a few Jeeps of various sorts, I don't know much about them myself...which is why I posted here, because I figured if anybody would be a good judge of Jeepy character, it would be the people in this thread.

So, should I be leery of this one? Should it be cheaper? Do you think it'll run well at that age, with that mileage? Is the rust a big enough deal to warrant a big price discrepancy or not buying it at all?

Oof. Wall of questions, sorry.

It has a somewhat solid motor, however being an '81 and for that price I wouldn't be looking for it to be a mint example. However it does appear that the body is in decent shape, at least the exterior which is one of the biggest problems with old cars. For this price I'd expect to do another ~$2,000 worth of updates (read:TLC) to make it a comfortable daily driver (tuneup, new tires, new floor panels which can he had cheap from online, etc.).

edit: I agree w/ incredibull

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'd get it if it was a few hundred dollars as a project vehicle, otherwise it looks like a half assed project jeep which means that you'll discover that the wiring is just as bad as the bodywork and basically you'll have to strip everything down.

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008
On the fast track to a punched face.
Wow, a lot of negative opinions here. Glad I came to you guys. Well, I'm going to test drive it, if nothing else just for fun, and probably won't buy it unless I just fall in love with it/it looks to be in better shape than we can tell from the ad.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how the drive goes!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My 98 XJ is my winter beater and it has an electrical short somewheres, so I'm used to voltage sitting at 12.5V to 14.5V and the voltimer dropping to "9V" (0V) when it shorts and getting a jump every once in a while. But today, my voltage jumped to "19V" (a bajillion volts?).

What is the voltage normally at in your XJ? Does it fluctuate?

What could maxed voltage mean? Bad voltage regulator? Bad voltimeter?

Every have anything like this happen in your XJ?

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
Is it giving consistent reads, or does it seem jumpy? If there is one constant among all Jeeps, it's that the gauges are completely unreliable for anything other than filling holes in the dash.

My temp gauge is affected by inertia. If I turn right, it says the engine is overheating, and if I turn left, it's cold. I suspect the only time I will get a consistent reading of normal is if I flip it over onto the roof. The oil pressure gauge just clacks back and forth between 0 and infinity -- I think it's actually a pothole gauge. I should probably consider replacing that one. :v:

Also, when my gas gauge reads 1/2 a tank, it's anybody's ballgame. Sometimes it runs out of gas slightly above 1/2, sometimes it will dip 1/16" below before sputtering, but I've never seen it go to 1/4 tank, and when I fill the tank it goes well past the full mark.

Do any other problems with voltage manifest themselves? Does the radio cut out when it drops or maybe the lights fluctuate in brightness or something?

Edit: I have a YJ myself, so I don't know if there's a significant difference, but my buddy's 95 XJ has gauge gremlins too.

Also, to the CJ7 guy up there, I suggest looking some more unless you're serious about making this into a project rig. You can get into a newer rig for pretty cheap, but I can't really blame you for liking the CJ's style. They really are cool, but you absolutely have to be mechanically inclined to own one... as is the case with any Jeep, to varying degrees.

Clamwacker fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 20, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Clamwacker posted:

You can get into a newer rig for pretty cheap, but I can't really blame you for liking the CJ's style. They really are cool, but you absolutely have to be mechanically inclined to own one... as is the case with any Jeep, to varying degrees.

I tried to stick with my old YJ. I really did. But goddamn the list was never ending. PLUS I do not have a garage of my own. My buddy has one with all the tools needed but work could only be done on the weekends and it was a huge hassle to try and arrange any huge projects.

You have to really really want one, and be able to over look all the "quirks" of 20+ year old Jeeps.

I swear as soon as it warms up I'm going to go out and make sweet love to my LJ Rubi. Oh yes. I will.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I tried to stick with my old YJ. I really did. But goddamn the list was never ending. PLUS I do not have a garage of my own. My buddy has one with all the tools needed but work could only be done on the weekends and it was a huge hassle to try and arrange any huge projects.

You have to really really want one, and be able to over look all the "quirks" of 20+ year old Jeeps.

I swear as soon as it warms up I'm going to go out and make sweet love to my LJ Rubi. Oh yes. I will.

Did you have the 4.0L or a different engine? I haven't really had any mechanical problems with my '91 4.0. The gauges are hosed, but those can be replaced if I really need to. The previous owner installed a Posilok and it stopped engaging, but I haven't had a chance to pull everything apart and find out what the problem is yet.

I know a guy with an LJ, and the extra space is great, but I have no idea why he didn't get the Rubicon. He has 3 other Jeeps, and he's put lockers in all of them now, but he skips on the Rubi, and then wheels the LJ like it's made of rubber. He's done more trail damage to his '04 than anybody else I've seen, it's beautiful. He even managed to destroy his fender by hitting the end of a fallen tree, but the tree wasn't even close to the trail. It's almost as if he aimed for it.

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008
On the fast track to a punched face.
Welp, you guys were right on.

Though it was fun to drive (never driven a 3 speed, and it ran better/was more comfortable than a '94 Wrangler I recently drove), the rust was out of control, on the rocker panel and floor, a pin was broken for the driver's side door hinge, it seemed to enjoy stalling in first and I saw a faint wisp of smoke from under the hood during the 20 minute easygoing city street drive.

If I was a mechanic I'd be all about it, as I could see myself falling madly in love with it if it was in better shape, but it's just not for me as is.

Right on, threadgoers, you know your poo poo.

Rvrnd. Riot fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 21, 2009

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
I've had a jeep for about 9 months now, and I've already been a victim to birds and having my roof off. But, it took me about two weeks to realize that the latest bird poop was actually on the inside of my passenger's window and not the outside.

Lucky for me I don't have a lot of passengers.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

carlcarlson posted:

I've had a jeep for about 9 months now, and I've already been a victim to birds and having my roof off. But, it took me about two weeks to realize that the latest bird poop was actually on the inside of my passenger's window and not the outside.

Lucky for me I don't have a lot of passengers.

poo poo, you need to try wheeling with the top off, and see where you can find mud. I find that poo poo everywhere, but my favorite was on the back of the rear view mirror, while the top was on. How does that even happen? Mud loving bounces, I swear to god.

Rvrnd.Riot, glad you were able to check it out. I can't imagine how a '94 YJ would be less comfortable unless the seats were hosed up, but the fact is that when you put 4 sets of leaf springs on a vehicle it's not going to be nice to your spine. I think the only thing that doesn't rattle on my rig is the oil.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
IT HAS BEGUN.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper. It's the one the quadratec website won't shut up about.

It's thick and stubby. I'm waiting on winchline and a light mount that goes on the fairlead.

Of course NOW I think I need a BB.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Clamwacker posted:

Is it giving consistent reads, or does it seem jumpy?

hilarious description of unreliable guages

Do any other problems with voltage manifest themselves? Does the radio cut out when it drops or maybe the lights fluctuate in brightness or something?

All of the gauges seem consistent, except for when the short down to 0V comes; that one's pretty abrupt.

All of the systems are stable otherwise, except the floor/interior lights seems to flicker in heavy rain/ice storms, foreshadowing a probable short and power loss.

When I do lose power and end up jumping it to get it going again, my radio resets to 12:00. The only other issue is that my windshield washer fluid warning indicator sometimes turns on and off about every 5 mins.

I'm guessing I'll need to shop around for some wireing harness smoke and get it back in their somewhere. but for reelz, I really don't want to kill myself installing a new wiring harness over what it probably an exposed wire sitting near the frame

But that jump up to "19"V really made me nervous :/ I want to keep as much wiring harness smoke in their as I can so I don't have to re-install as much :)

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
I went with the Rugged Ridge side steps. I'll get something a little tougher someday but these are good enough to help my wife get in the thing for now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Of course NOW I think I need a BB.

Skip the BB. Rough Country now has a "true" 2.5" lift that includes four progressive coils and shocks, for $300 - just barely more than most BB kits cost. A lot of people with a 2" BB are replacing it with this kit, and I'll probably be one of them.

Most people haven't had to use adjustable track bars with the kit, either. The worst that can happen is having an axle a half inch off-center. Check out the TJ forum at Jeepforum.com, there's a huge thread about it.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Skip the BB. Rough Country now has a "true" 2.5" lift that includes four progressive coils and shocks, for $300 - just barely more than most BB kits cost. A lot of people with a 2" BB are replacing it with this kit, and I'll probably be one of them.

Most people haven't had to use adjustable track bars with the kit, either. The worst that can happen is having an axle a half inch off-center. Check out the TJ forum at Jeepforum.com, there's a huge thread about it.

So on a Rubi this would lift it 1.5 over stock? I like it a lot from the 100 page thread.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I was alerted by a friendly motorist yesterday that I had something hanging from the underside of my 90 Cherokee 4.0l. I've scoured my Chilton's and haven't been able to identify the mystery hose.

Brief description: the end of the hose that is still attached comes out of the top, rear-facing side of the front differential. The hose itself is between 2 and 2 1/2 feet long and the unattached end features a white hard plastic nipple-type thing. Here is a vague picture to help with my vague description.

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

The hose I'm needing help identifying is the one running up the differential in the background.

Edit: another picture

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 22, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Sits on Pilster posted:

I was alerted by a friendly motorist yesterday that I had something hanging from the underside of my 90 Cherokee 4.0l. I've scoured my Chilton's and haven't been able to identify the mystery hose.

Brief description: the end of the hose that is still attached comes out of the top, rear-facing side of the front differential. The hose itself is between 2 and 2 1/2 feet long and the unattached end features a white hard plastic nipple-type thing. Here is a vague picture to help with my vague description.

The hose I'm needing help identifying is the one running up the differential in the background.

Diff breather, it connected TO the differential and has a white thing sticking out, that's the breather and should run up somewhere that would be above most water you'd drive through.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Diff breather, it connected TO the differential and has a white thing sticking out, that's the breather and should run up somewhere that would be above most water you'd drive through.

I kind of figured it had something to do with letting the thing breathe. So can I essentially run the hose somewhere upwards and just attach it at a random location? Or is there a specific place it needs to be attached?

The hose itself actually has a giant hole in it already, so I may use this as an excuse to replace it.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Sits on Pilster posted:

I kind of figured it had something to do with letting the thing breathe. So can I essentially run the hose somewhere upwards and just attach it at a random location? Or is there a specific place it needs to be attached?

The hose itself actually has a giant hole in it already, so I may use this as an excuse to replace it.

Just up somewhere it'll be above any water you may be running through. Your front is either up near the front of the top of the radiator or the top of the firewall, I for get which. Check the connector to the differential. If it just pulls out and you were so inclined tapping the hole and putting on a nifty brass fitting would improve its over all functionality.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

incredibull posted:

Skip the BB. Rough Country now has a "true" 2.5" lift that includes four progressive coils and shocks, for $300

Here's anything you ever would want to know about that lift:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586467

10% off too.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

So on a Rubi this would lift it 1.5 over stock? I like it a lot from the 100 page thread.

Rubicon springs are the same height as stock TJ springs, just stiffer. You net the same height gain with aftermarket coils whether it's a vanilla TJ or a Rubicon.

edit: OK I didn't really think too hard about that. I think you probably would only get 1.5" out of it. I'm not sure what RC compared their coils to, TJ or Rubi? There are plenty of Rubis in the jeepforum thread that got at least 2" out of the kit, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

One of the biggest reasons to stay away from a BB kit is that most 2" kits require extended bump stops, which reduce your suspension flex a whole lot.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 23, 2009

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Haha. My throttle stuck wide open on me while driving on the interstate the other day. It was fine while I was driving as it acted as sort of a ghetto cruise control, but the engine was stuck revving at 4 grand when I got off the interstate.

The guy next to me thought I was trying to race him or something, but eventually with a few blips of the throttle I got it unstuck. :laugh: A liberal dose of some WD-40 and some penetrating lube on the throttle cable and linkage all is well again.

Working on some plans to make some bumpers and finish up the body work, which will include some slathering of bed liner on the whole truck.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0904_international_buys_jeep/index.html

may not be true, but I pray it is. This would probably be the best this for Jeep and Jeep enthusiasts right now.

quote:

The new International Jeep Corporation will kill off the Patriot, Commander, and Compass for the 2010 model year. The Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Liberty will carry on with a few changes. The Diesel Grand Cherokee will retain the 3.0L diesel engine and the gas engine options. International has signed a contract to keep all current key Chrysler employees and to option the Chrysler engines for up to 5 years. The Grand Cherokee redesign will get pushed back a few years. Meanwhile the Liberty will also be offered with the 3.0L V-6 diesel package. International aims to bring the cost of the package down through greater numbers.

Please make this true

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
That article is a fakepost.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Scrubed posted:

Here's anything you ever would want to know about that lift:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586467

10% off too.

I got a quote of ~330 shipped which is that kit with a steering stabilizer. I think I'm gonna do it.

PM'd a few people and they say it rides better than factory.

I'm thinking of 32s when it's time for new tires. Anyone have any thoughts on Maxxis? I'd like new Wranglers but goddamn.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Another one joins the fold.

I'm currently rejuvenating this 91 XJ Briarwood edition for use as my daily driver.

As you can see it needs some TLC, but it's fully loaded and everything (Aside from the missing radio and dead alternator) works. Just got it back from the dealership where the replaced the ABS pump under it's NHTSA mandated lifetime warranty, but if it ever goes out again I'll just convert it to vacuum boosted brakes. Now I just need to hit the salvage yards for a whole laundry list of parts.

Not too shabby for $500, no?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
That is some pimp rear end wood :whatup:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I'm currently looking around at wranglers and I think I found the one I want. But the catch is I grew up driving the family minivan and my first two cars were automatics. I am really against the idea of getting a jeep with an auto (from what i have gleaned in research the automatics are not that great for offroad.

How new user friendly are TJs and is there anything special about the 5speed in them.

Long story short, father is GM mechanic thinks any transmission by Chrysler will blow up in amazing fashion.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Stormangel posted:

Another one joins the fold.

I'm currently rejuvenating this 91 XJ Briarwood edition for use as my daily driver.

As you can see it needs some TLC, but it's fully loaded and everything (Aside from the missing radio and dead alternator) works. Just got it back from the dealership where the replaced the ABS pump under it's NHTSA mandated lifetime warranty, but if it ever goes out again I'll just convert it to vacuum boosted brakes. Now I just need to hit the salvage yards for a whole laundry list of parts.

Not too shabby for $500, no?

What's up fellow woody buddy. I'm restoring a 1990 Grand Wagoneer as my daily driver and it's pretty much the same exact car as yours - except where yours is white on the outside, mine is black.

The wood-grain stuff is EXTREMELY hard to find. As soon as it gets a little warmer I plan on scouring all the local junkyards as well. Perhaps if one of us can find a Woody we can trade some stuff. Team Cherokee has the original wood panels, but they're $600 or something ridiculous. I'm searching for the original instrument panel bezel in wood (mine is cracked, pretty sure the douchebag that put in a CD player broke it while doing so.) I paid 1800 for mine, and so far I've put in probably $500 into it. I love it though, it's like every peak 80's technology feature is in these suckers. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

BabyMauler posted:

Long story short, father is GM mechanic thinks any transmission by Chrysler will blow up in amazing fashion.

The only manual transmission offered in the TJ that had problems was the AX-5, which came coupled to the 2.5 4cyl. All others that came in the TJ are plenty strong, to varying degrees. The NV3550 is probably the best of the two 5-speeds offered, with the AX-15 being slightly weaker but still holding up to plenty of abuse. The 6-speed NSG370, a DaimlerChrysler design, is only a few years old but doesn't seem to have many issues from what I've read.

Not sure on the exact years of transition, but the AX-5 and AX-15 were offered in the first few years of the TJ.

The NV3550 and NV1550 (2.4 4cyl) were jointly designed by Chrysler and GM.

The key is to remember that even a manual transmission wants to be loved. Use quality fluid of the correct type, and change it on schedule.

My TJ has a NV3550 and I love the way it shifts, but then again I've only really ever owned manual trucks, so it doesn't take much to please me. It does get a little picky on 2nd gear in very cold weather, and definitely likes Royal Purple Synchromax fluid.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 25, 2009

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

overflow posted:

Woody stuff

I definitely like the faux-woody style. Some of the guys at work think i should strip it, but then it'd be a boring white Cherokee. The decals on mine are good except for the drivers door as seen in the picture, but almost all the trim strips are bent or peeling. If I can't find replacements for those I may end up striping and painting them.
I feel ya on the dash, I can't even install a radio in mine until I get another panel. I'm probably going part hunting this weekend, and I plan on buying any woody parts I find. I'll keep you updated.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BabyMauler posted:

Luckily, the auto trannies in most jeeps are AMC transmissions. The AW4 is stout. Chrysler transmissions after 2004 are also good.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
AMC did not make transmissions.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Stormangel posted:

I definitely like the faux-woody style. Some of the guys at work think i should strip it, but then it'd be a boring white Cherokee. The decals on mine are good except for the drivers door as seen in the picture, but almost all the trim strips are bent or peeling. If I can't find replacements for those I may end up striping and painting them.
I feel ya on the dash, I can't even install a radio in mine until I get another panel. I'm probably going part hunting this weekend, and I plan on buying any woody parts I find. I'll keep you updated.

Keep the wood for sure. Apparently JC Whitney sells these wood strips but from the pics they look quite a bit darker than the wood on the sides of mine. Some people on NAXJA recommended going to Wal-Mart and just getting the wood grain shelf paper for the trim strips. Honestly, I'd like to take the CD player out and put in a factory original stereo, but rig it up with like an hard drive or an auxillary input hidden behind the dash for iPod use - just to keep the original look.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

AMC did not make transmissions.

Sorry, you're right, it's the inline 4.0L that was an AMC design. Either way, the AW4 (Aisin Warner) was not a Chrysler transmission.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
The AX15 is closely related to the R150 which was used in Toyota trucks and the Supra, and the AW4 was pretty much the A340, used in the same applications, which is probably why they're so durable.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
New bumper with winch minus winchline plus fairlead light mount and factory fog lights(for now).

edit: Started raining so I didn't get to finish routing light wiring.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
TSM I can just look to you for my guinea pig of cool-looking upgrades, since your Jeep looks practically identical to mine, just a foot longer.

What's that winch?