Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

The one thing that does interest me is the neck ring, as it could stop some head injuries, but at the same time, I've saved my helmets multiple times by being able to tuck my head to my chest as I crashed to avoid it hitting the ground. A system like this would force your head into the upright position, meaning that you lose the freedom of movement that may help you avoid smacking your head on something.

You could also get a "cowboy collar" like so if you're worried about your neck snapping. I would think if these were really effective at stopping neck injuries in street riding situations though, every racer would wear one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Those actually look really sweet, and even though they are padded they still look pretty timeless in my opinion. Do they fit under a jacket sleeve or do you really have to wear them over?

I stuffed my gloves under my jacket sleeves for ages, and then finally gave up on it and just started wearing them over like they belong. It looks a little goofy until you adjust to it, but it's usually a lot easier on your wrist and forearm.

With that said, you could probably shove them under your jacket as long as it was pretty loose. I'm probably going to swing by there this weekend and I'll take a look and see what size and shape the gloves are and report back :)

Edit: ^^^^ Zenaida, I've heard of people getting some pretty serious neck injuries from those. The framework isn't designed to impact anything, and when it happens, it ends badly. Neck protection is something that would be neat, but I haven't seen a design that really appeals to me yet. Plus those tend to restrict head movement somewhat, which is unacceptable for me.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

:words: that rival a Nerobro post.

I was thinking more of the vest that I would wear under my jacket. My dad mentioned this to me during some downtime during our MSF course last weekend (I'm a new rider, and he's retaking the course after a brain tumor a couple of years ago), he mentioned a couple of things that caught my attention:
1. The Japanese motorcycle cops are all issued these systems, as well as many other police agencies.
2. One of the biggest markets for these are equestrian riders.
3. There was a study that suggested that if Christopher Reeves was wearing one of these he would still be walking around today.

Here's a slightly better picture of what the deployed system actually covers.

You're right about this being useless in a lowside, but from what I understand severe spinal injuries aren't that big an issue in those types of crashes. This would be more for a highside (where I would be thrown clear and would activate the system) situation where there is a chance of my neck getting torqued around between my 10 pound head the 200 plus pound body it connects to it as I'm reintroduced to terra firma.

However I figured that since you race you or someone you know would wear something like this. The fact that you don't means that this moves right the gently caress down on my additional purchases list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gr3y posted:

:words: about air vests.

This one got really long. :sigh:

If you think about it, what is that system really going to stop? If you headplant into the ground, an air pocket's not going to stop your head from really tweaking. It may cushion it slightly, but it's not going to stop your head/neck from rotating in a bad way. It may reduce whiplash, but only if your head isn't snapping forward...not exactly comprehensive.

My g/f is an equestrian, and we've talked about this at length, and the difference between protective gear designed for horse riding (mainly eventing), and motorcycling. The thing is: Motorcyclists don't fall from nearly the height that equestrians do. I've done some horseback riding, and you could count falling off of a smallish standing horse being equivalent to the worst highside you could possibly see on a motorcycle. Couple that with the typical eventing/jumping accident of a horse jumping an object (so add another 4+ feet to your height off the ground) and catching it's forelegs on it and then flipping and landing on top of you, and you're talking about a completely different set of design constraints for a completely different type of accident.

Motorcycle gear is designed for abrasion resistance first, and impact resistance second. Equestrian gear is the other way around. So they have massive riding vests that are designed to spread/dissipate impact. Some of the guys on ADV rider have toyed around with using equestrian vests offroad and such, and some really like them...but they also tend to be really bulky.

The biggest problem with wearing these under a jacket is that you have to have a jacket that will actually allow the pouches to expand a reasonable amount. Gear that fits right not allow you to fit a somewhat bulky vest under it comfortably, much less allow the air bags to expand the way they demonstrate.

There were 700 something racers in the AFM last season, and none of them used any addtional protection like this airbag stuff. Now, club racers aren't the richest folks, but they'll pay good money for stuff that works...there's no good reason to use this over a high quality back protector and high quality chest protector. However, it's also worth noting that when I crashed at 80mph, I'm traveling roughly 115 feet per second, so I'm already 30 feet off the track by the time the airbag is inflated if I lowside, as I'm not gonna seperate from the bike enough to trigger it until I'm already on the ground. So...it doesn't really protect in the most common accident, poo poo happens too fast.

I can't fit a chest protector in my leathers, much less an inflatey airbag vest:

You can see the outline of the back protector reaching around the speed hump area, which has it's own impact protection in there. It's just as tight on the front as well, which is why I don't (can't) use a chest protector.

It's also worth noting that motorcycle cops have a completely different set of priorities from their gear beyond protection, namely retaining their mobility and their ability to use their weapons/defend themselves/others effectively. That's not so much a concern for street/track riders.

When it comes down to it, I look at my gear to protect from the most common stuff: Abrasions, general impact from falling off the bike and sliding/flipping/whatever. An airbag vest may protect well from impact, but by fitting a bulky vest under there, unless you get custom fit gear for the airbag vest, you'll probably end up with something that's the wrong size. So you sacrifice abrasion protection for the potential of saving yourself some damage should you hit a solid object, and not even that much protection from it, because nothing is going to save you from going into a pole/curb/wall/car at speed. In my mind, it's just not worth it to trade abrasion protection for a questionable gain in impact protection.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you want proper neck protection you wear a Leatt brace. They were pretty much required at Paris Dakar this year.
http://www.leatt-brace.com

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
So far while riding my bike I've just been wearing jeans. I'm interested in picking up some pants but the problem is I'm pretty short. I'm only 5'2 so does anyone have any recommendations for brands that make pants that small?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

n8r posted:

If you want proper neck protection you wear a Leatt brace. They were pretty much required at Paris Dakar this year.
http://www.leatt-brace.com

webbikeworld's review said that for street riding, the Leatt brace can impede your ability to tuck in and look forward, since the restraint prevents you from tilting your head far back. That is of course the idea, and it's great for upright riding, though it is something to keep in mind I suppose.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Dammit, this subject really does seem to inspire long posts, and for that, and the following, I apologise.

Z3n posted:

This one got really long. :sigh:

. . .

OK, sometimes I love the internet. 2 minutes after I closed this tab I was browsing the BBC website for my daily news, and an article caught my eye.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7886000/7886427.stm

Though the air-bag jacket being used in that article does seem to be different from the jackets originally linked. Having said that, that test looks to be fairly useless as I've had crashes exactly like that at speeds quicker than that, and normal textile gear saved me from any sort of damage. The only damage I had was actually from my gear, where the inside of my boot gave me a friction burn halfway down my shin. Seeing as the one place the air bag would do better in protection terms than normal kit is impact protection rather than abrasion protection, you'd think they'd have done a demo showing off the impact crash-worthiness of it.

Z3n posted:

The one thing that does interest me is the neck ring, as it could stop some head injuries, but at the same time, I've saved my helmets multiple times by being able to tuck my head to my chest as I crashed to avoid it hitting the ground. A system like this would force your head into the upright position, meaning that you lose the freedom of movement that may help you avoid smacking your head on something.

This is the only thing in all of your words that doesn't seem to make sense. Possibly it makes sense on the track where you know (or might know) you're coming off and thus can react properly. But I don't think it counts as much on a road, where coming off isn't always your fault and you don't always know it's coming. I'd disagree that it's worth trying to save your helmet with some extra mobility when it could cost you your neck, spine or head.

But again, it doesn't look like there'd always be enough time for the system to activate. And I think I'd be worried about relying on something filled with air to protect me in the event of a crash. I can be pretty sure that the inside of my car is going to be empty of nails and broken glass and such-like items that might puncture an air-bag I'm relying on to save my life, but there's no way in hell I can or would expect that guarantee to be made on the road I'd be landing on when coming off my bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Z3n posted:

I look at that and the only thing I can think of is goatse.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

More long post: :ohdear:

Orange Someone posted:

Seeing as the one place the air bag would do better in protection terms than normal kit is impact protection rather than abrasion protection, you'd think they'd have done a demo showing off the impact crash-worthiness of it.

Well, except for the fact that no one wants to throw a dummy or a test rider against a wall, because the fact of the matter is: 2 inches of air pouch isn't enough to save you when you slam your weight plus say 20mph, into a curb, post, whatever. If it were correctly integrated into gear (ie, still allowing a tight, form fitting fit to avoid the armor moving around and friction burns/folding over), then it could be an advantage, as long as the airbag could inflate before you hit the ground. What happens when you inflate one of these while you're lying on your stomach?

Just look at car airbags. Huge airbag, explosively propelled to avoid injuries in a very controled situation, with the additional crumple zone of a car to help slow the driver and a foot or more of inflation...that's what it takes to safely slow/stop your upper body's mass in an accident. This is incredibly feeble compared to a car airbag, and it's expected to hold up and stop injuries from impacting some sort of solid object at speed?

quote:

This is the only thing in all of your words that doesn't seem to make sense. Possibly it makes sense on the track where you know (or might know) you're coming off and thus can react properly.

I was actually wrong on one point: There's apparently no inflation area that prevents your head from snapping forward.

I did martial arts for a long time, so my first instinct is to always get my head tucked to my chest, if possible. That's what has saved my helmet in my last 3 accidents. The thing about the (air) neck ring is: what injuries will it prevent? It's not going to stop any compression injury, any rotational injury, and it's only going to stop some of the whiplash style injuries, as long as your head travels in the right direction. It's a pipe dream to think that this would provide the ability for your head and neck to take the force of hitting any solid object at speed, which is the real concern in street accidents.

Now, there have been some uses of these systems in racing, because they can protect against neck injuries from your head moving around while tumbling, but they're a system that's much more full coverage, integrated into the top of the shoulder area and the speed hump, and when they pop, they come all the way around the helmet and help cushion the head of the rider in place. Racers also crash at vastly higher speeds than street riders, and they have runoff, etc., so again it's a different type of crash than street riding.

Inflation neck ring systems, when correctly designed, don't have the mobility disadvantage of the neck brace, and the inflation time isn't such a concern as they're designed to protect after the initial impact. I'd be interested in using one of those, if it was available, as it allows me to increase protection to my neck without compromising anything else.

While a neck brace is good protection offroad, it also compromises your ability to go full tuck and look completely to the right or left. The both are unacceptable on the racetrack, the second is unacceptable on the street, and crashing is a far less common event in street riding than it is in the Paris-Dakar or any other such long stage offroad event. I choose my helmets specifically to maximize my peripheral vision, why would I then choose to restrict my head motion with a brace? Furthermore, offroad riders are going to see a lot more vertical drop in a crash than most street/road racing riders will, unless you're jumping intersections in SF.

Head and neck injuries occur in 20% of accidents. Helmets reduce those injuries by 50%, so you're talking about 10% of accidents. The ones on the street where there's serious injury to the head or neck is almost always caused by running into something, and...you can't save yourself from going headfirst into a car with any sort of brace. Compromising my vision or abrasion protection for potential gain in 10% of accidents...it's just not worth it. When they come out with a clean, proven system that integrates into my speed hump, then I'll happily shell out the money for it. As it stands, no professional level racer is using these systems yet...if it really protected that much, you better believe that Rossi, the poster child for Dianese would be sporting one.

MrKatharsis: :goatsecx:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 14, 2009

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Does anyone know of a helmet a la the Arai XD3 that has a long oval shape? I have an Arai Profile and it's the only helmet with a shape that fits my weird head. I'd like to get one of those sweet adventure bike helmets, though.

edit: Actually it seems like the XD3 might approach the long oval shape I need. People seem to say that it's a bit loose up front for them, and narrow on the sides, which is what I need.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 16, 2009

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

French Canadian posted:

Does anyone know of a helmet a la the Arai XD3 that has a long oval shape? I have an Arai Profile and it's the only helmet with a shape that fits my weird head. I'd like to get one of those sweet adventure bike helmets, though.

edit: Actually it seems like the XD3 might approach the long oval shape I need. People seem to say that it's a bit loose up front for them, and narrow on the sides, which is what I need.

You may want to try the Zeus ZS-08 it has a shape similar to an Arai Corsair and is about 1/5th of the price of the XD.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Zeus-ZS-2100-Sport-Black-Medium/dp/B001F6T5YU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1234826475&sr=8-2

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 17, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

French Canadian posted:

webbikeworld's review said that for street riding, the Leatt brace can impede your ability to tuck in and look forward, since the restraint prevents you from tilting your head far back. That is of course the idea, and it's great for upright riding, though it is something to keep in mind I suppose.

I'm not sure webbikeworld was as negative as you recall:

quote:

The company says the brace is “compatible with all motorcycle helmet types and our design allows riders an adequate range of movement.” But the catch here is my Leatt Brace doesn't allow extreme angles of forward lean as illustrated in my photos, like in a full racing crouch.

Even with the thoracic shims set, the 10-degree thoracic strut in place and rear member lowered fully, I simply can’t lie flat on the bike and preserve my vision without straining, as seen in my photos.

Of course this may not apply to everyone - my advice is, as with any sort of motorcycle gear, to head on down to your dealer and try it out for yourselves if you can.

For everyone else though, it’s a small price to pay for the added peace of mind it provides. As long as you don’t have extreme riding positions, the only thing you have to put up with is a slight knock as the brace and helmet contact when looking fully over the shoulder. The Leatt Brace does take some getting used to but it doesn’t impede vision significantly when set-up properly.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/leatt-brace/

I honestly think that at the track the sorts of injuries that a Leatt can prevent are probably quite rare. In addition the way the Leatt fits can definitely cause problems when wearing tight fitting leathers. I think if you really wanted to wear one you might have to have your gear altered. In addition there may be helmets that are better compatible with the brace if you need to do a full tuck.

ADVrider has some fairly good discussions regarding the Leatt vs. neck rolls vs. other options. I'd say it's worth reading up and making the decision on your own.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Trip report: Schuberth S1. FUUUUUUCK THIS ANTI-FOG LAYER. Today I was riding in rain and hail. I had to wipe off the interior and exterior of my visor several times. Apparently I rubbed too hard (really not very hard at all) and the anti-fog layer started peeling right the gently caress off. So now it's basically wrecked and I know from a friend that it's not cheap to replace. God dammit.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Can anyone identify the brand/model of this helmet for me please?

koda
Jan 1, 2009

by The Finn
I haven't ridden anything with less than four wheels before so I'm clueless when it comes to gear. Since I bought a Silver Wing (has yet to be delivered) I've spent a lot of time at Honda checking out various gear and I was looking at for jacket/helmet wise a Scorpion EXO-400 and a Joe Rocket VFR textile jacket? Good choices or should I keep shopping around?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

koda posted:

I haven't ridden anything with less than four wheels before so I'm clueless when it comes to gear. Since I bought a Silver Wing (has yet to be delivered) I've spent a lot of time at Honda checking out various gear and I was looking at for jacket/helmet wise a Scorpion EXO-400 and a Joe Rocket VFR textile jacket? Good choices or should I keep shopping around?

Textile jackets will be fine for your use. Depending on weather and what you'll be riding in and what you'll wear, mesh is an option as well, although I'd steer you more towards standard textiles. Check out newenough.com and you'll get some idea of the world of possibilities for you. Find something brand name that you like, based off of price, looks, protection, whatever, and come back and post a link and someone will help you break down the upsides and downsides.

koda
Jan 1, 2009

by The Finn
Well I picked up an EXO-400 at the Honda shop today and they were highly suggesting this Tourmaster Flex jacket. Seems to fit well on me and I like it, any thoughts? http://www.newenough.com/protective...cle_jacket.html

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I got my pair of Joe Rocket Atomic pants today, and they're fantastic. I'm a 38x34 pants, and bought the XXL because I prefer looser to tight, and they fit well. The mesh panels look like they'll be great, they've got zippers down the sides, with velcro strips on the top and bottom to hold them in place. Very pleased in the non-riding fit, now I just hope they work as well when I'm on the bike.

All I have to do is wait the next couple months until I can get my bike out.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_textile_motorcycle_pants.html

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?
Quick review of the helmet I bought this week: HJC FS-15 Carbon

I bought it for two reasons:
1)WebBikeWorld's Helmet of the Year
2) My head is huge enough that I don't need more unnecessary weight on my neck :)

And boy, it is light - probably the closest thing to wearing no helmet at all. Along that same vein, the wind noise is much louder than even my EXO-700, so earplugs should be on your shopping list if you're taking this baby out on the freeway.

The helmet looks pretty slick with its lines, carbon-fiber casing, and silver vents on the sides and back. If you're into aesthetics, it matches dark colors pretty well, and would look good with white too.

The visors come with the Pinlock system, which is great since the anti-fog layer is practically non-existent. The helmet completely fogged over in 48-degree weather while sitting still (which is warm here in Seattle lately). It was fine when the bike was moving, which is a testament to how good their venting system is. Unlike my previous helmet, the EXO-700, you can crack the visor a tiny bit to vent more air across the visor.

The materials inside the helmet are worrisomely cheap. After one ride, the chin cover assembly had started moving its way out of the liner of the helmet, and the entire lower lining was slightly rotated towards the left. The padding quality doesn't seem as hearty as even the EXO-700, which is a much cheaper helmet. Small things like the flimsiness of the d-ring snap are something that you'll probably get used to. Wearing the helmet makes you feel like it is made of styrofoam, which is disconcerting but most likely a byproduct of its light weight.

If you want a carbon fiber helmet for a cheap price, I don't think you can do much better than the HJC FS-15. Please realize that carbon fiber commands a high price, and you get what you pay for when it comes to the rest of the helmet.

BONUS REVIEW! The Icon Super Duty 3 Boots also arrived in the mail (thank you CA for the recommendation) and they are awesome. No complaints, just high quality footwear.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So matching gear. How far do you guys go? My bike is the gsxr blue/white. So a bit flashy. I have a black helmet/jacket/gloves. But I'm thinking of getting some overpants as well. I'm not sure if I'll keep what I have or get some new matching gear all around.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

So matching gear. How far do you guys go? My bike is the gsxr blue/white. So a bit flashy. I have a black helmet/jacket/gloves. But I'm thinking of getting some overpants as well. I'm not sure if I'll keep what I have or get some new matching gear all around.

I bought all my poo poo on sale so none of it matches and I look retarded. I sort of wish I didn't so if you have the money go for it I guess?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I tend to buy my gear on sale as well, but I try and stick with black/silver/grey as the primary color, and I'll occasionally get something with a simple, single-color pattern. That way, it's easy to match my gear. My bike is silver and black, that helps with color coordinating.

Right now I have a black textile jacket, a dark brown leather jacket, silver/black HJC helmet, black leather gloves, and black touring boots. I wish I'd grabbed one of the Teknic Chicane leather jackets when Newenough had them on closeout, but by the time I saw them they were out of my size in the black/silver :(

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
So I figured I'd finally get around to reviewing my Tourmaster Flex jacket and pants. They're designed to be adjustable to the weather, so they have an insulated liner and a waterproof/windproof liner that zip and snap into their respective shells, and then the shell has panels that can be zipped off with mesh underneath (but still with textile along the arms/shoulders and around the hips/butt and down the outer side of the leg). Taking the textile panels off the shell is relatively easy and painless, putting in the liners is a bit more of a pain in the rear end, but still doable. The connection points are color-coded to keep you from putting them in twisted, assuming a grade school education. Theoretically you could wear the waterproof jacket liner by itself (or with the insulated liner as well) if you were traveling and/or wanted to look like a dork. There's reflective piping on the back of the jacket and along the outer seam of the pants, and people have told me that it is effective at increasing night visibility.

I've had the Jacket for about 2 years now, it's my only jacket. As textile jackets go I think it looks pretty good, not overly garish or anything. It has plenty of pockets, including an interior media pocket over the right pec that can hold a wallet or cell phone, and normal jacket pockets on the mesh when you remove the outer nylon panel. The shoulder and elbow armor is CE rated hard armor, but the back armor is garbage. When riding the armor stays in place very well, and in a 25-ish mph lowside I had everything under the jacket was fine despite coming down on my shoulder.
With the waterproof liner in heavy rain I still got some water in, but mostly just through the top of the jacket. I've worn it up to about 100 degrees, where it's about as tolerable as anything can be at 100 degrees, and actually quite comfortable when you're moving. I think today was my coldest day to ride with it, at about 20 degrees on the highway, where there was a bit of leak in around the zippers and up the back of the jacket, but quite tolerable with just a longsleeve t-shirt underneath. I should amend that, it was quite tolerable on the way to my destination today, until I got there. The jammed at the top and was so bad that I ended up having to destroy the pull just to get it off. Luckily for the ride back I could still zip up the liner (and have my backpack belt somewhat hold the shell closed) which worked alright.

I got the matching pants a month ago, and so I'm a bit less accustomed to them. One thing I do like is that instead of pockets in the normal position on the side, instead they are in the front which I've found pretty comfortable, and would probably be better if you ended up sliding on your side. The knee armor is CE rated hard armor, the hip armor is foam. It seems that the armor stays in place pretty well when riding with both liners in.
With all the liners in they don't go over pants very comfortably, without pants they're not bad at all. Without the liners in they're work pretty well as overpants. There isn't a cinching mechanism at the bottom, so there is a bit of a draft of cool air up the leg, but otherwise quite warm. I haven't worn them in warm weather yet, but they've got a good amount of mesh so they should be quite cool.

Overall I'd definitely recommend both as nice gear. I'd say they're nice for someone getting into riding: they're a bit pricier than most entry-level gear, but their ability to adapt to year-round riding (unless you live somewhere dumb like Alaska) is a huge bonus. Alternately they're pretty nice if you plan to do some traveling long distances, as you can modify your gear to the situation and stay more comfortable. I should warn you, however, that the liners can get pretty bulky if you're tight for space, so keep that in mind.

Also I'm still pretty pissed about that zipper.

8/10

If there's interest, I can snap some pictures of everything.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Christoff posted:

My bike is black, my jacket is black with white piping, my pants are black. Helmet silver/white/black. Boots red/silver/white/black. So I match pretty well. Problem being it hits over 100 here in the summer and sitting at stoplights in all that black makes me want to die.

In summation, black as a base color is easy to find and easy to match. But it can get loving hot in the summertime regardless of how well vented it is.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Christoff posted:

I have a red/black/white helmet, red/black/white jacket, red boots/black, black overpants, and a red bike. I bought all of the gear first on clearance from new enough and just so happened to fall into the red bike. Matching gear is nice, but I would say stick to a neutral color like black or silver for most things, as now I feel obligated to buy a red bike for my next.

Also for the hjc carbon helmet review, have you tried on an average hjc helmet and compaired? Your description sounds EXACTLY like my hjc, only lighter. I'm thinking of upgrading helmets this summer though as the wind noise is getting a bit ridiculous. Will shops let you test ride a helmet to test out the noise and vents?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm gonna replace my crap Fieldsheer gloves with something else soon. I'm definitely looking for leather, preferably perforated for better breathing. I already have liners for when it gets cold. Hard knuckles are almost a must, unless there really isn't much safety gain from them. I'd like gauntlets too. Right now I'm looking at the Alpinestars SP-1s, but I know there are others I'm missing. Quality of construction and palm-padding are really the most important things to me. Does anybody have further recommendations?

koda
Jan 1, 2009

by The Finn

Antifederalist posted:

Just what I needed to hear, just bought the jacket, thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

meatpotato posted:

I'm gonna replace my crap Fieldsheer gloves with something else soon. I'm definitely looking for leather, preferably perforated for better breathing. I already have liners for when it gets cold. Hard knuckles are almost a must, unless there really isn't much safety gain from them. I'd like gauntlets too. Right now I'm looking at the Alpinestars SP-1s, but I know there are others I'm missing. Quality of construction and palm-padding are really the most important things to me. Does anybody have further recommendations?

Are you ever in San Jose? Swing by Helimot and check out their gloves. Expensive, but they're repairable and I love mine. You can try on different sets, as they're all hand made, and mix and match until you find something that you really like.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Any suggestions on good cold-weather gloves that aren't terribly bulky? I have smallish hands so the big bulky gloves get terribly uncomfortable quickly, but with uninsulated gloves I can't ride for more than about 15 minutes before losing feeling in my hands.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

fatman1683 posted:

Any suggestions on good cold-weather gloves that aren't terribly bulky? I have smallish hands so the big bulky gloves get terribly uncomfortable quickly, but with uninsulated gloves I can't ride for more than about 15 minutes before losing feeling in my hands.

My best friend has just finished getting himself fully equiped, and since we're in Britain and it's winter, we were looking at winter gloves. He was looking for some Spada Enforcers since they got really good ratings but the shop we went to didn't have them. He did have some Spada WP2s though, and they're really good.

Definitely have a look at Spada gloves, some of the higher ranged ones have the wipe on the thumb and forefinger, and that's something I really do want for my next set of winter gloves.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

fatman1683 posted:

I bought a pair of Alpinestar Storm Riders. They're not bulky and they're insulated and waterproof. I don't know if they're suitable for really low temperatures, but they should be good down to maybe 40F. Combined with heated grips, though, I would think they should be fine for just about any winter conditions.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/alpinestars/storm_rider_gore_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

MourningGlory posted:

I bought a pair of Alpinestar Storm Riders. They're not bulky and they're insulated and waterproof. I don't know if they're suitable for really low temperatures, but they should be good down to maybe 40F. Combined with heated grips, though, I would think they should be fine for just about any winter conditions.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/alpinestars/storm_rider_gore_tex_motorcycle_gloves.html

I have these as well. I've ridden on the highway when it was below freezing, and they work very well. I would recommend them.

quote:

Also for the hjc carbon helmet review, have you tried on an average hjc helmet and compaired? Your description sounds EXACTLY like my hjc, only lighter. I'm thinking of upgrading helmets this summer though as the wind noise is getting a bit ridiculous. Will shops let you test ride a helmet to test out the noise and vents?

I just got mine as well, and I've used it a few times now while the snow was melted. For me, it was an upgrade from the AC-12 I've had for two years. You pretty much hit it exactly, it's just a better version of the HJC helmets. For me it was quieter than my old helmet, and the venting is about the same. The liner and straps feel higher-quality than my old HJC.

For some odd reason, I noticed the same thing as CompulsiveGamer, the fogging is ridiculous. I don't know if they skimped on the anti-fog on the shields that came with it or what. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try a shield from my old helmet and see. Anyways, I'm planning on slapping some anti-fog on there or something and seeing if that helps. It's a big pain to use in cold weather right now since you have to keep the visor cracked unless you're at speed.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Oakey posted:

For some odd reason, I noticed the same thing as CompulsiveGamer, the fogging is ridiculous. I don't know if they skimped on the anti-fog on the shields that came with it or what. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try a shield from my old helmet and see. Anyways, I'm planning on slapping some anti-fog on there or something and seeing if that helps. It's a big pain to use in cold weather right now since you have to keep the visor cracked unless you're at speed.

I'm wondering if this is endemic to HJC lids in general. My CL-SP is unusable with the visor completely closed. It'll go from clear to dangerously fogged in less then 20 seconds.

I've only taken my bike up to about 60mph and the road noise, while loud, isn't unbearable. And for an $80 helmet I'm not in too much of a position to complain.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Gr3y posted:

I'm wondering if this is endemic to HJC lids in general. My CL-SP is unusable with the visor completely closed. It'll go from clear to dangerously fogged in less then 20 seconds.

I've only taken my bike up to about 60mph and the road noise, while loud, isn't unbearable. And for an $80 helmet I'm not in too much of a position to complain.

Nah, I guess I should have been a bit more clear about this in my post. The reason I was questioning the shields and thinking about trying one of my old ones is that I've never had too much of a fogging issue on my AC-12. Not even close to as bad, at least. The other thing I've noticed is that the FS-15 has some fabric underneath the chin, some kind of wind guard or something. It kept the helmet a bit warmer but I think it might be contributing to the fogging.

Anyways, once all the drat snow melts, or at least it looks like I can ride without icy death, I'll try an old shield and I'll post my results.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Gr3y posted:

I have the CL-15, and I'm thinking it is just how HJC lids work. My visor will fog almost immediately if its not warm outside, but if it's warm it generally handles itself well. I've taken the bike up to a fair speed, faster than 60 atleast, with the helmet and its not too bad. It can get a ridiculous amount of wind noise if there are major crosswinds or headwinds, but having never worn anything but an HJC, I don't really know the difference.

I think this summer I'm going to talk my local shop into letting me do an hour test ride on one of there Shoei's to see the difference, if any.

The HJC helmets hold up in crashes really well. I have to much experiance with the dirtbike helmets going down on dirt, asphalt, and other assorted surfaces from bmx racing, and the helmets have held up perfectly every time.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
My HJC AC-12 carbon dosen't fog easily but my old CL-14 was pretty bad about it. I think it has something to do with how close the chinbar is to the face/neck. The AC-12 chinbar sticks pretty far out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gr3y posted:

My CL-SP also fogs like crazy. I've found its a little better if you wear a scarf across your mouth and open the top vent.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

8ender posted:

My CL-SP also fogs like crazy. I've found its a little better if you wear a scarf across your mouth and open the top vent.

On mine I just keep the visor slightly cracked. The first click up from fully closed leaves it open just a few centimeters and completely eliminates my fogging issues.

However if you are suggesting, or even own, a scarf I'm going to assume we live in very different climates. It was 83 degrees here in Phoenix today, so a scarf just wasn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I have an Icon helmet, which supposedly the same as a HJC, and it fogs up like crazy unless I leave it open a hair. The tinted one I have fogs up always, while the "anti-fog" clear one fogs up only a little. I was using windex on it regularly for awhile, so I think I may have ruined it, though.