Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

azflyboy posted:

useful :words:

Thanks for this. A friend at work has a late 90s early 00's outback that has some bad windnoise going down the road. They're going to try this out and see if it gets any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

upsciLLion posted:

One of the things my girlfriend and I dislike most about her Civic is how it sounds like every noise is coming in through a megaphone, so this is good to know. Could you comment about the visibility?

Visibility is good, as you'd expect from something with that much glass. The windshield is large enough that forward visibility isn't an issue, even for tall drovers, and the hood is flat enough that it's pretty easy to judge where the front corners are for parking.

There side blind spots are where you'd expect them to be, and the visibility out the back is surprisingly good.

Because the glass on the hatch goes down to roughly the level of the rear seatbacks and the hatch is pretty much the back of the car (the bumper extends maybe six inches further aft), it's very easy to judge where the back of the Forester is in reverse, and the glass offers enough visibility that I don't have to worry about not seeing something behind me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's no doubt in my mind now. The extra drag caused by all the bad stuff going on in my transmission was affecting performance. The car just feels so much more lively now (not to mention I can actually hear the engine again because the droning noise is gone.)

It feels like I'm rediscovering my car. I actually had a smile driving home from work last night for the first time in a long time.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
So I've decided to trade in my 99 Impreza OBS.

It got hit recently and while it was at the body shop, I got an 09 Legacy for a rental car. It had all the good qualities of my Impreza with none of the bad ones like the terrible interior, horrible wind noise and a suspension which is simultaneously hard riding and bad handling.

I do need a little more clearance, though, so I'm looking mostly at Outbacks. How does the Outback handle compared to the Legacy? I know it's the same platform, but the Outback has a different suspension. Also I'm looking at the turbo version. I assume it's the same aftermarket as a Legacy GT? Also do they still have the horrible tires? The Legacy I got had some decent Yokohamas on it, but I don't know if those were original.

I'd consider Foresters, too, but I think the Legacy platform is better than the Impreza one. The Forester really seems like an OBS with different skin.

Eugene Debs fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 21, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eugene Debs posted:

I'd consider Foresters, too, but I think the Legacy platform is better than the Impreza one.

Impreza is just a modified legacy platform. 08+ models are based upon the current generation legacy platform. 02-07 Imprezas are based on the last gen legacy platform and so forth.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot

bull3964 posted:

Impreza is just a modified legacy platform. 08+ models are based upon the current generation legacy platform. 02-07 Imprezas are based on the last gen legacy platform and so forth.

I'll give the Forester a try, but the Outback just seems to be a better car to me. There's really nothing the Forester does that the Outback doesn't do better or at least as well in a much more stylish and more modern package. It is cheaper, but I'm not terribly concerned with that.

I don't like the giant new Forester, either. Those things are almost 4Runner sized now.

Eugene Debs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 21, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eugene Debs posted:

I don't like the giant new Forester, either. Those things are almost 4Runner sized now.

The 3rd gen is only 4.3 inches longer and 1.8 inches wider than the 2nd gen. They really aren't much bigger.

I just find it kinda funny that you are discounting the smaller car (between the Outback and the Forester) because you think it's giant.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 21, 2009

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot

bull3964 posted:

The 3rd gen is only 4.3 inches longer and 1.8 inches wider than the 2nd gen. They really aren't much bigger.

Well, Subaru did a really good job making them look massive, then. They look more puffed up than a Dodge truck now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Eugene Debs posted:

Well, Subaru did a really good job making them look massive, then. They look more puffed up than a Dodge truck now.

It is brilliant if you think about it. There are a lot of people who really want a big SUV, and there are a lot of people who want a small SUV. So, an SUV that looks big but isn't really all that big will appeal to a larger market. Look at the sales.

I am talking out my rear end.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
The thing is I wanted to go with a used Outback XT so I could get the current gen Legacy platform. I even found an 05 locally with a manual. If I was to get a used Forester, I'd be getting the older platform, which I don't like as much, and I've never even seen one with a manual transmission, which is a must.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eugene Debs posted:

So I've decided to trade in my 99 Impreza OBS.

It got hit recently and while it was at the body shop, I got an 09 Legacy for a rental car. It had all the good qualities of my Impreza with none of the bad ones like the terrible interior, horrible wind noise and a suspension which is simultaneously hard riding and bad handling.

I do need a little more clearance, though, so I'm looking mostly at Outbacks. How does the Outback handle compared to the Legacy? I know it's the same platform, but the Outback has a different suspension. Also I'm looking at the turbo version. I assume it's the same aftermarket as a Legacy GT? Also do they still have the horrible tires? The Legacy I got had some decent Yokohamas on it, but I don't know if those were original.

I'd consider Foresters, too, but I think the Legacy platform is better than the Impreza one. The Forester really seems like an OBS with different skin.
The OB rides softer.
It also needs outback specific suspension, of which there is a very small amount. Don't buy the Megan racing coilovers unless you like your coilover becoming 2 pieces. Itherwise pretty much everything engine wise works (not cat backs)

Eugene Debs posted:

The thing is I wanted to go with a used Outback XT so I could get the current gen Legacy platform. I even found an 05 locally with a manual. If I was to get a used Forester, I'd be getting the older platform, which I don't like as much, and I've never even seen one with a manual transmission, which is a must.
Well, that discounts the new Forester XT anyhow, as it is auto only. (I'd also note that after seeing a new and an old FXT, both stock, around an auto-x course, the older one seems better suited for pavement duty)

If handling matters and you want a wagon, i'd recommend holding out for a 2005 Legacy GT wagon. You mayt have to travel for it, and they cost more.
The Older FXTs did come in manual.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 21, 2009

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
I looked at Legacy GT wagons, but I do a lot of driving on rural roads with sporadic at best plow service and even borderline offroading, so the added clearance of an Outback is a big deal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eugene Debs posted:

I looked at Legacy GT wagons, but I do a lot of driving on rural roads with sporadic at best plow service and even borderline offroading, so the added clearance of an Outback is a big deal.
The get the OB. Sounds like the softer suspension (and ground clearance) might be a good thing for you.
(Note that the stock LGT wagon does have 6in of ground clearance, the OB has something like 8-9in)
Go drive one :) They're pretty good handling for something with more ground clearance than many (if not most ) SUVs.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I've decided I want a WRX but I have some questions about buying one. Don't really know a whole lot about the little problems with them but from reading through the Wikipedia article it sounds like getting a Rev C would be a wise choice for reliability. I am looking at 02s and 03s as I cant really afford newer. This will be a daily driver so sacrificing a lot of reliability for fun/awesomeness isn't really an option.

Questions I have:
  • Should I only look at Rev. Cs and how do I know if it is a Rev. C?
  • How much power can they reliably handle before things start breaking and do they need to be retuned if I add an exhaust manifold, turbo back, moderately larger intercooler and electronic boost controller?
  • Would I need an aftermarket clutch or anything else to support those mods?
  • Is there a turbo upgrade/certain A/R housing that's particularly popular with this car?
  • What should I know about the car that would influence me buying it/not buying it?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

RealKyleH posted:

I've decided I want a WRX but I have some questions about buying one. Don't really know a whole lot about the little problems with them but from reading through the Wikipedia article it sounds like getting a Rev C would be a wise choice for reliability. I am looking at 02s and 03s as I cant really afford newer. This will be a daily driver so sacrificing a lot of reliability for fun/awesomeness isn't really an option.

Questions I have:
  • Should I only look at Rev. Cs and how do I know if it is a Rev. C?
  • How much power can they reliably handle before things start breaking and do they need to be retuned if I add an exhaust manifold, turbo back, moderately larger intercooler and electronic boost controller?
  • Would I need an aftermarket clutch or anything else to support those mods?
  • Is there a turbo upgrade/certain A/R housing that's particularly popular with this car?
  • What should I know about the car that would influence me buying it/not buying it?

Not sure what you mean by Rev. C. The transmission will handle ~330-350whp before it starts to get sketchy, but a lot depends on how you drive it, you can grenade them at stock power levels doing clutch dumps. You will need some sort of tune (opensource or ProTune, or an Accessport) if you ad up pipe, downpipe, catback intercooler etc, don't really need a boost controller. With those mods you should be okay on the stock clutch, again depending on how you drive.

As for turbo upgrades, there are so many to choose from, you can get one for anything you want pretty much.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
It's a little embarrassing but Ive only driven automatic cars and have maybe 10 minutes and 2 miles of time behind a stick car. I'll certainly try to take it easy on it though. I've replaced a transmission before and don't really want to do it again any time soon.

Revision C reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev._C_.282002.29_2

EDIT: What are the pros and cons of the various tuning options? I recall from the OP that the Accessport has downloadable tunes available which would be awesome as the last Dynotune I got ran me $575 which is more than the exhaust mods and intake mods would cost.

EDIT2: Ugh the Cobb is $700 :(

Its a MAF car why cant it account for these changes?! :(

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 21, 2009

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

Just because it's a MAF car doesn't mean it can randomly pull fueling numbers out of its rear end. The behavior of the engine changes when you modify it, and the factory fueling settings rapidly become less than ideal when you start bolting poo poo on.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

RealKyleH posted:

It's a little embarrassing but Ive only driven automatic cars and have maybe 10 minutes and 2 miles of time behind a stick car. I'll certainly try to take it easy on it though. I've replaced a transmission before and don't really want to do it again any time soon.

Everywhere I read that Subarus 5 speed transmissions are a love/hate kind of thing. Theyre notchy (I can vouch for this) and are supposedly one of the hardest transmissions to learn on. I learned on an 04 WRX. It took me a good two hours before I was comfortable to drive home in traffic. I stalled a lot during the first two weeks. It took me roughly a month of daily driving to go from "learning to drive a manual" to "enjoying driving a manual". Now at 5 months of driving manual under my belt, while I still have a lot to learn (need to do a track day or two), I feel very confident in my manual driving abilities. Give it some time, and take it slow. I drove like a grandma at the beginning.

RealKyleH posted:

Worth every penny in my book. Im pulling these out of my rear end, but isnt it something like +40hp/tq with a stage 2 flash? Yes sir, may I have another.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

RealKyleH posted:

A Ver 1 accessport goes for like $300-350 used. They end up in most peoples closets after you flash them, so it doesn't make a big difference Ver1 or Ver2.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I assume theyre locked to peoples cars by VIN?

Roast Beef
Jun 28, 2003

it locks to the ECU in your car when you flash it, but you can uninstall the AP to re-sell it. If you get a used one make sure it's been uninstalled or you won't be able to flash your car because it will still be locked to the previous owner's car.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Roast Beef posted:

it locks to the ECU in your car when you flash it, but you can uninstall the AP to re-sell it. If you get a used one make sure it's been uninstalled or you won't be able to flash your car because it will still be locked to the previous owner's car.

Yea that's how very other tuner is just making sure.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
You can occasionally find spectacular sales on Accessports, but Cobb is pretty strict about controlling vendors' allowed prices. I managed to find a great deal on one in December, ended up paying $575 with free next-day shipping. People sell them used all the time on NASIOC and LGT.com, though.

Good luck finding a WRX around Central Florida, though, especially a wagon. I was originally looking for a WRX wagon before I fell in love with the LGT, and when I brought it up to the salesmen at Palm Subaru here in Gainesville, I basically got laughed at. They're few and far between down here, especially in good/stock condition.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Good luck finding a WRX around Central Florida, though, especially a wagon. I was originally looking for a WRX wagon before I fell in love with the LGT, and when I brought it up to the salesmen at Palm Subaru here in Gainesville, I basically got laughed at. They're few and far between down here, especially in good/stock condition.

This. Im down in Florida atleast once a year and during the past 2-3 years down there I only saw one other WRX, and it was a sedan at that. Here in Chicago we all wave at each other when we pass (Subaru love bro), I waved at the guy in Florida and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Now if you want to buy a Corvette in Central Florida...

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Bud Manstrong posted:

You can occasionally find spectacular sales on Accessports, but Cobb is pretty strict about controlling vendors' allowed prices. I managed to find a great deal on one in December, ended up paying $575 with free next-day shipping. People sell them used all the time on NASIOC and LGT.com, though.

Theres 4 or 5 on craigslist in Orlando and about the same in Tampa. I set up RSS feeds. Also my second cousin owns Collier Subaru/Jag. (Not that I will get an in-laws discount.)

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
My (manual) WRX is making a slight vibration/grinding noise when the throttle is closed above about 25mph, it isn't a very loud noise and is a bit more annoying (have to try stay with a miniscule amount of throttle open) than worrying, any ideas?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

RealKyleH posted:

Revision C reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev._C_.282002.29_2

EDIT: What are the pros and cons of the various tuning options? I recall from the OP that the Accessport has downloadable tunes available which would be awesome as the last Dynotune I got ran me $575 which is more than the exhaust mods and intake mods would cost.

join NASIOC.com now, and read the newbie faq. Its ridiculously in depth and covers pretty much anything and everything about the cars. The AP is fine for the basic stage 1-2 flash. If you have the money, a pro dyno tune will get you much better results. Cobb has VERY conservative settings, as to not blow your engine up. Perrin maps, which you buy online and they email you, are 'off the shelf' maps and give much larger gains over cobb.

With that said, you can buy every part you would ever need off of NASIOC. They have local area forums set up, with buy/sell subsections. I havent bought anything new. I got my AP for $400?? A version 2. New TMIC, downpipe, 2 CAI, and a brand new samco hose kit, was $300 because some guy was in the navy and about to deploy. He basically unloaded his trunk into my car. $700 exhaust? Nope, Paid $200 because the guy totalled his car.

Try to get a 2004 model year. Parts will be a good bit more compatible if looking for used stuff.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I'm looking at a 98 impreza outback wagon sport with 128Km, 5spd for $4500. What should I look in the way of maintenance records? What typically fails on this car? It will be replacing my SC300 as my daily driver because I've got a baby on the way and need something bigger and with 4doors. I need something reliable and economical and capable of carrying things.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugh, new day new problem with my '04 Outback.

Check Engine Light came on...went to the car store, used a code reader which gave me the code P0420, which is catalytic efficiency below threshold. The guy tells me to maybe try some fuel cleaner because maybe that's setting it off, so I bought some and threw it in, which did nothing.

Checking out some forums, it looks like the catalytic convertor is probably gone. Luckily, my car is only at 67k, and I've been seeing in a lot of spots that there is a Federal law out there that requires catalytic convertors to be warrantied until 8 years/80,000 miles, so I should be good to go.

Question is: Will this cover labor as well? I'm looking to bring it to a local Subaru dealership. This place has tried to charge me a diagnostic fee before when I told them what the problem probably was. I might bring it to another Subaru dealership even though it's twice as far away. Regardless, do I just call em up, say what code I got, and bring it in for service, asking if they charge labor on catalytic convertor swaps? Could code P0420 mean something else is wrong with the car?

Finally, if they do charge labor, how much do you think they could get me for to put a new cat in?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

nwin posted:

Check Engine Light came on...went to the car store, used a code reader which gave me the code P0420, which is catalytic efficiency below threshold. The guy tells me to maybe try some fuel cleaner because maybe that's setting it off, so I bought some and threw it in, which did nothing.

Checking out some forums, it looks like the catalytic convertor is probably gone. Luckily, my car is only at 67k, and I've been seeing in a lot of spots that there is a Federal law out there that requires catalytic convertors to be warrantied until 8 years/80,000 miles, so I should be good to go.

Question is: Will this cover labor as well? I'm looking to bring it to a local Subaru dealership. This place has tried to charge me a diagnostic fee before when I told them what the problem probably was. I might bring it to another Subaru dealership even though it's twice as far away. Regardless, do I just call em up, say what code I got, and bring it in for service, asking if they charge labor on catalytic convertor swaps? Could code P0420 mean something else is wrong with the car?

Finally, if they do charge labor, how much do you think they could get me for to put a new cat in?

Well find out which one it is. If they want more then 100-150 dollars, scour nasioc for an oem used one and put the new exhaust on yourself. All you need are some of those drive up wheel ramps, or a jack and jackstands, and a few wrenches. Maybe another set of hands. Exhaust is crazy easy to swap out.

subarugenuineparts.com is also your friend.

edit/ I traded my 07 wrx stockers to someone for some gold 18X8 rota tarmac's yesterday plus a little cash yesterday. I'm pretty happy. Took away the monster truck look a good bit. Gold rims and OBP looks great :D

Lando fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2009

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot

decypher posted:

I'm looking at a 98 impreza outback wagon sport with 128Km, 5spd for $4500. What should I look in the way of maintenance records? What typically fails on this car? It will be replacing my SC300 as my daily driver because I've got a baby on the way and need something bigger and with 4doors. I need something reliable and economical and capable of carrying things.

Really, nothing typically fails on them. They're about as reliable as a car can get, the only problem is the automatic transmissions, which isn't an issue here. The paint does really suck on them, but that's a pretty minor issue.

Eugene Debs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 22, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Lando posted:

join NASIOC.com now, and read the newbie faq. Its ridiculously in depth and covers pretty much anything and everything about the cars. The AP is fine for the basic stage 1-2 flash. If you have the money, a pro dyno tune will get you much better results. Cobb has VERY conservative settings, as to not blow your engine up. Perrin maps, which you buy online and they email you, are 'off the shelf' maps and give much larger gains over cobb.

With that said, you can buy every part you would ever need off of NASIOC. They have local area forums set up, with buy/sell subsections. I havent bought anything new. I got my AP for $400?? A version 2. New TMIC, downpipe, 2 CAI, and a brand new samco hose kit, was $300 because some guy was in the navy and about to deploy. He basically unloaded his trunk into my car. $700 exhaust? Nope, Paid $200 because the guy totalled his car.

Try to get a 2004 model year. Parts will be a good bit more compatible if looking for used stuff.

I started reading through NASIOC, its kinda sad annoying leaving the little good grammar and content bubble of AI and looking at other forums again. I will likely be using my car to test out the headers and exhaust of my Chinese supplier. I have a TIG welder if anything breaks so really don't have anything to lose. Plus a brand new turbo back, header, top mount intercooler and piping kit would be less than $500. Some thing if I switch to a FMIC but I bet that'd require some fabricating even though they say they have an intercooler pipe set and intercooler for that setup. I also want to test their ball bearing turbos.(Might just put a little upstream screen just in case) I know I'd still have wot worry about the seals but apparently the bearings for them are made in Japan.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 22, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

nwin posted:

Fuel cleaners sometimes leave deposits on your cats that can poison or destroy your cats and related O2 sensors. Those "octane" boosters are even worse, SubieSport's Legacy needed to put some in once and it totally carfucked the O2 sensor when they were on the track, though I suspect their use of leaded gas also helped to kill it.

If you throw that code, check to see if the O2 sensor is bad, they're a lot cheaper than new cats (reletively speaking) - however it is still a $120 sensor.

I'm not sure if you can use cats from wrx's and sti's, but if you can try scouring the forums iwsti, clubwrx, and nasioc for used cats. They usually sell for $50 or so, and you can install it on your own in an afternoon. New cars cost a metric fuckton of money, its usually not worth it.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Question about Saabaru's: what's the consensus on price? How do they compare to WRX's?

i.e. Assume there two similarly equipped cars, one a 9-2x and the other a WRX of the same year and in similar shape. Which one would be expected to have retained its value better? There aren't a lot of 9-2x's around so its difficult to get a sense of this.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
From what I've seen 9-2xs have been selling for less than comparable WRXs for some reason, it's very strange.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

From what I've seen 9-2xs have been selling for less than comparable WRXs for some reason, it's very strange.
It's a SAAB, that's why. Sam reason prisms sell for less than corollas

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I might be the proud owner of a 05 WRX STI, a guy here on base (Ft Hood, and the guy is deploying in march time frame.) has one for sale. It has 38,000 miles completely stock, and according to him it's in "great" shape. He wants to get about $20,000 for it but i might be able to talk him down when i go to look at the car tomorrow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TurboLuvah posted:

The flipside is insurance; I was once quoted $6600/yr to insure a 9-2X Aero.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sirbloody posted:

I might be the proud owner of a 05 WRX STI, a guy here on base (Ft Hood, and the guy is deploying in march time frame.) has one for sale. It has 38,000 miles completely stock, and according to him it's in "great" shape. He wants to get about $20,000 for it but i might be able to talk him down when i go to look at the car tomorrow.
From what I've heard from the market taht is too much.
Hell, last year I could have picked that car up for that.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The flipside is insurance; I was once quoted $6600/yr to insure a 9-2X Aero.
Seriously? Most of the time the 9-2x has lower rates if the net is to be believed. It isn't like the WRX is a cheap car to insure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Yeah, for some reason the KBB value is a few thousand lower than the WRX of similar equipment and condition, probably just because they're lesser known. I'm currently trying to sell mine and keep getting offered thousands less than I'm asking because people just look at the KBB price and expect to get it for that. I've had a few bites at the price I'm asking so I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

When I bought the 9-2x I compared insurance rates with a WRX wagon and it was in fact cheaper to insure, but only a little bit.