Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

My first "good" SLR was the Minolta X700 on the right. Gnoma'am gifted me with the X700 right after they came on the market and I definitely got my use out of it. A lot of film has gone through this camera and it's been all over the place, sadly, somewhere along the way it fell on the lens and broke the f-stop ring behind the lens. It still works in full manual mode but the metering is irretrievably off, no matter what setting I use the exposure is off the chart overexposed. I have considered trolling ebay for a parts camera, as I really liked the X700 and know how to work it but decided that it was too much like work and I would just sunny 16 it until the shutter dies.

And then, today, I find the X700 on the left. This one is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. The plastic sheet is still on the bottom, there were no batteries, no wear marks on the film plate or in the film chamber anywhere. It shows every sign of being a new camera. I found it at a Salvation Army store with the f1.4 lens for the princely sum of $8.50.

Initial dry firing with the batteries from the old X700 was successful so I loaded it with film and I'm going to run a roll through it. I'm just so astonished at the condition of this camera, and I won't be using it for parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Congrats on the find. How I wish I could find a perfect condition Canon A-1 for next to nothing. The A-1 was my first camera and has been falling apart before my eyes and now ceases to function. I love it so dearly.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
So I got a new toy in the mail today, but I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post pictures.

Let me just say that I've been firing it without any film for about a half hour solid just to hear the comically loud shutter/reflex mirror.

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.

Rontalvos posted:

So I got a new toy in the mail today, but I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post pictures.

Let me just say that I've been firing it without any film for about a half hour solid just to hear the comically loud shutter/reflex mirror.

RZ/RB67?

I've been loving my new FM2n. Put 2 rolls through it, but haven't had time to develop them yet :(.

Need to get the gear to build a home darkroom rather than waiting for the time to go to a proper darkroom.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Tigertron posted:

Congrats on the find. How I wish I could find a perfect condition Canon A-1 for next to nothing. The A-1 was my first camera and has been falling apart before my eyes and now ceases to function. I love it so dearly.

I've found other X700s out there, but this one was the best and cheapest I've seen.

Since I didn't think I was going to be using the old X much, I've been turning my nose up at all the Minolta glass I've been finding. Great, now I have to go back and paw through it all again. At least it's a cheap habit these days.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Rontalvos posted:

Pentax 67? I have one and can feel the mirror vibration in my hand when I shoot it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gnomad posted:

My first "good" SLR was the Minolta X700 on the right. Gnoma'am gifted me with the X700 right after they came on the market and I definitely got my use out of it. A lot of film has gone through this camera and it's been all over the place, sadly, somewhere along the way it fell on the lens and broke the f-stop ring behind the lens. It still works in full manual mode but the metering is irretrievably off, no matter what setting I use the exposure is off the chart overexposed. I have considered trolling ebay for a parts camera, as I really liked the X700 and know how to work it but decided that it was too much like work and I would just sunny 16 it until the shutter dies.

And then, today, I find the X700 on the left. This one is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. The plastic sheet is still on the bottom, there were no batteries, no wear marks on the film plate or in the film chamber anywhere. It shows every sign of being a new camera. I found it at a Salvation Army store with the f1.4 lens for the princely sum of $8.50.

Initial dry firing with the batteries from the old X700 was successful so I loaded it with film and I'm going to run a roll through it. I'm just so astonished at the condition of this camera, and I won't be using it for parts.

http://garryscamerarepair.com/ You can get that wonky X700 CLA'd for $48 total. I've sent three cameras to him for repair and all came back good and clean.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, got the Pentax MX. Probably paid more for it than I should have, but everything works on it and it's pristine. It even has that clear protective sticker on the bottom. It looks like it'll need new light seals, but that's about it.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Ok. I think this week or this weekend I am going to pull the trigger on developing my own black and white film.

Does anyone know of any FD mount ultra wide angle or fisheye lenses? It looks like the widest canon made was a 20mm. I haven't found any info on 3rd party lenses, other than I don't see any on ebay. How about other mount lenses that can be adapted?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Stregone posted:

Does anyone know of any FD mount ultra wide angle or fisheye lenses? It looks like the widest canon made was a 20mm. I haven't found any info on 3rd party lenses, other than I don't see any on ebay. How about other mount lenses that can be adapted?

Actually, Canon made 7.5mm and 15mm fisheyes in FD mount. I was hoping to score one for cheap and convert it to EF, but they seem to be more rare and expensive than the average FD lens.

If you grab the Peleng 8mm in M42 mount, that can be adapter to FD (or just about anything else, for that matter) with a simple adapter. I've used one on my 5D and it's pretty fun, although the novelty isn't quite worth the $300 price tag to me.

Edit: Here's a Sigma 16mm fisheye in FD on eBay with less than a day to go.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone have an information on the exact dimensions of a piece of 35mm film?

Wikipedia has this nice diagram of the pin hole shape, and it also tells you in the article that the pitch is 4.740mm. I still can't figure out exactly where the sprocket holes are on the film. How far are they from the film edges, or better, how far from the center of the film?

I can try to gauge a lot of these details with a caliper, but I would rather have some sort of specification sitting in front of me. Google is just returning lots of results debating the resolution etc. of various film formats vs digital.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I don't have a caliper, but found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090208132340AAmEFv7

quote:

The frame itself is 36mm x 24mm, each frame takes up 38mm of film. So multiply 38mm x 5 frames = 190mm long and 35mm wide.
Source(s):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/135_film

Edit: The whole film vs. digital isn't an argument with an end. The important benefit of film is that the chemical reaction on the negative does not have the same limitations of pixels. I don't know anyone who shoots 35mm for its resolution (again a sore point for arguments), although nearly everyone I know that shoots large or medium format does so for very competitive resolution compared to digital.

hybr1d fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 18, 2009

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Just popping in to say that I developed my first roll of film today and it was awesome. It's also a lot easier than it seems so everyone should try it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Took the Pentax MX out for a spin last night. Boy oh boy, nothing makes you appreciate modern conveniences like speedy autofocus more than trying to track a moving object in dim light with manual focus.

I got the film processed and scanned at the supermarket, so it's not the greatest of quality. It was more just to see if there were any problems with the camera, so I wasn't super concerned about getting the best developing and scanning possible.

Here's the best photo from the set. A lot of the others had focusing problems as you would expect for a rookie:

Here's the rest of the set for the curious:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31391300@N04/sets/72157614086510034/

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
What scanners are you guys using for color and b&w 35mm negatives? I have looked around flickr and the Epson 4490 and Cannon 8800 seem to be popular flatbeds, and then theres the more expensive Nikon Coolscans. Is the choice to either get the CoolScan if you have the money, or a flatbed if you don't? I don't need to make prints, I just want something that wont be a pain to set up and spend unnecessary time to focus, color correct and remove dust.

I went through a bunch of this thread, but after 15 or so pages I start to gloss over, and I didn't see mention of scanning techniques on the first page. I think it would be really helpful. Thanks.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I went through a bunch of this thread, but after 15 or so pages I start to gloss over, and I didn't see mention of scanning techniques on the first page. I think it would be really helpful. Thanks.

It's in there... somewhere... :) I think most people are using flatbeds, specifically the Epson 4990 and V500, but I have a 4490 that's ok, and sometimes wish for a V500 or V700. I don't think anyone here has a film scanner, but maybe brad industry does.

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD

hybr1d posted:

It's in there... somewhere... :) I think most people are using flatbeds, specifically the Epson 4990 and V500, but I have a 4490 that's ok, and sometimes wish for a V500 or V700. I don't think anyone here has a film scanner, but maybe brad industry does.

I am pretty drat jealous of this setup -

(yep that's a drum scanner)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What's the easiest fast B&W film to develop? I want to shoot at ISO1600 and maybe even push develop to 3200 (The Pentax MX maxes out at ISO1600). From what I can tell, there's Fuji Neopan 1600, T-Max P3200 and Ilford Delta 3200. They all cost around the same, so that's not a huge factor, I'm just talking about which film is the most tolerant to developing errors and general newbness?

TokenBrit
May 7, 2007
Irony isn't something that's like metal.
I'd say the Neopan and Delta are pretty much the same for that. You won't really be able to mess up developing film to be honest, once you've got your chemicals sorted (easy if you take your time with it) and the film in the dev tank it's simple from then on. Obviously people make mistakes occasionally (same as anything) but it's a pretty routine task if you don't try anything really clever.

Kaerf
May 3, 2007
never work

HPL posted:

What's the easiest fast B&W film to develop?

I actually haven't developed any true high speed B&W film outside of one roll of Neopan 1600. Whenever I need a high ISO speed film I typically use Tri-x 400. I also recently pushed HP5 to 3200 just to see what it looks like. Here's an example of what it gave me:

I just followed what the box told me: 19m in XTOL stock (1:0 dilution), 10s of agitation every minute.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

What's the easiest fast B&W film to develop? I want to shoot at ISO1600 and maybe even push develop to 3200 (The Pentax MX maxes out at ISO1600). From what I can tell, there's Fuji Neopan 1600, T-Max P3200 and Ilford Delta 3200. They all cost around the same, so that's not a huge factor, I'm just talking about which film is the most tolerant to developing errors and general newbness?

Just do -1 in the exposure compensation when you set iso1600 on the camera and use iso3200 film?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, crazy idea time. Buy an old film autofocus EOS to use with my EF lenses. Good idea or bad?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Great idea.

People wanting to try film and already have a Canon DSLR + EF lenses should just pickup a cheap rebel-g. I got mine with a lovely 35-80mm lens for 35 bucks.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HPL posted:

Okay, crazy idea time. Buy an old film autofocus EOS to use with my EF lenses. Good idea or bad?

Good idea. I've got a Rebel S but I want to get an old 1 or 1N eventually.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Went out and got an EOS-1000FN. Basic as heck, but it autofocuses fast enough, goes to ISO 6400 and I don't have to futz around with sprockets when loading film. It's also super light. This plus the good 'ol plastic 50mm f/1.8 makes for a combo that's so light it practically floats out of my hands. My Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 works fine on it too. My other lenses work as well, but with vignetting since they're crop lenses.

God, shooting concerts with the 50mm f/1.8 at ISO3200 or 6400 is going to be a gas considering that the 50mm on full-frame is like 30mm on my 40D, which I know and love already.

EDIT: Ha ha. This is hilarious. I just checked the manual for this camera and it has a "soft focus" mode.

HPL fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 20, 2009

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

Tri-X is amazing. Push it as far as you want. 3200 is no problem.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

EDIT: Ha ha. This is hilarious. I just checked the manual for this camera and it has a "soft focus" mode.

Miss-focus? :v: or it actually softens the photo without screwing with the focus?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

8th-samurai posted:

Tri-X is amazing. Push it as far as you want. 3200 is no problem.

That's what I was thinking. Tri-X looks like a hell of a versatile film. Would it be worth getting it in bulk and reloading it if it proves to work well for me?

DaNzA posted:

Miss-focus? :v: or it actually softens the photo without screwing with the focus?

It takes two pictures in sequence. One in focus, one out of focus. This would probably be great if the camera could take pictures with anything resembling speed in order to avoid camera movement, but it shoots at a blistering 1fps.

HPL fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 20, 2009

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Tri-X is a great, versatile film, buy it cheaply as Arita Premium 400 at freestyle photo.

Digital trip report: Been shooting with my d100 all weekend, pisses me off, want to go right back to film. Planning on using it for whenever I need immediate results, but I doubt I'll end up using it for a whole lot other than sports and maybe for some portraiture.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
edit: jesus christ nevermind. :hurr:

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 20, 2009

mcosio
Jan 20, 2009
Today I got hold of a Canonet QL17 G-III from a relative as a gift, this is my first film camera and I am very excited. I was told the light seals will need replacing but it woulden't be difficult to do it on my own, found a few kits and tutorials online. Everything else is in great shape, no stuck shutter blades, just the metering which is shot out.

What recommendations for film, specifically color can anyone recommend for a film novice?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mcosio posted:

What recommendations for film, specifically color can anyone recommend for a film novice?

Wow, congrats. That's a great camera. You should have plenty of flexibility for film because it has a fast lens. What kind of shooting do you plan on doing?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The EOS 1N is a solid camera, but probably heavier than most would want to carry, particularly with AA batteries (it uses 8). The advantage is everyone thinks you're a real pro whenever you use it.

I'm hoping to buy a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM this summer, which I could use on my 350D as well (I hope to move up to full-frame digital sometime next year).

When I bought my Diafine I had to buy a gallon of D-76 to get over the minimum purchase price, is it worth mixing out and using with T-Max films or should I just stick with T-Max Dev and Diafine?

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax

longview posted:

When I bought my Diafine I had to buy a gallon of D-76 to get over the minimum purchase price, is it worth mixing out and using with T-Max films or should I just stick with T-Max Dev and Diafine?

I think T-max dev works better than D-76 for the T-max films and Diafine works better than D-76 if you want to shoot Tri-X at 1200-1600. Use the D76 for other stuff or for when you don't want the speed boost from the Diafine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Tri-X is a great, versatile film, buy it cheaply as Arita Premium 400 at freestyle photo.

Digital trip report: Been shooting with my d100 all weekend, pisses me off, want to go right back to film. Planning on using it for whenever I need immediate results, but I doubt I'll end up using it for a whole lot other than sports and maybe for some portraiture.

Sorry that you don't like the camera. I felt the same way for a while. I still carried my F100 for like a year after I bought a D70.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Nothing wrong with the camera itself, they're problems common to pretty much all dSLR's up until very recently. I'm sure I'll adjust to it. ;)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One interesting thing I've found with the EOS-1000FN is that since they cheaped out and used a pop-up flash that has to be raised manually, one side effect of this is that if you're running in one of the non-automatic modes (Av, TV, M etc.) you can pop up the flash to use the AF assist lamp during the half-press then close the flash and take the picture normally. When you flip up the flash, the shutter speed goes to 1/90, but as soon as you close it, it goes back to whatever you had set it to before.

So in other words this thing focuses better in darkness and featureless surfaces than most modern Canon DSLRs which don't come with an AF assist lamp and need to use the flash strobe. Go figure.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Tested my scanner today! This is all film shot over my holiday break with my wife. Minolta X-700 with a 58 F/1.4 and 28 F/2.8

Zibby, my wife, and JoBot! (Arista II ISO400 pushed to 800)

Fur hoodie on the NOLA streetcar! (Ektar 100)

My wife at the Frenchman Hotel! (Kodak Gold 200)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What scanner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcosio
Jan 20, 2009

HPL posted:

You should have plenty of flexibility for film because it has a fast lens. What kind of shooting do you plan on doing?

I really want to try street photography with it, black and white is commonly associated with it but I get a different feeling when looking at street work done in color.