Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RecallX posted:

Banjos definitely don't get enough love. My dream in life is to retire young enough to go whitewater kayaking every week, and buy a plectrum banjo and join a dixieland jazz band. Every man has a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Costello Jello posted:

Banjos definitely don't get enough love. My dream in life is to retire young enough to go whitewater kayaking every week, and buy a plectrum banjo and join a dixieland jazz band. Every man has a dream.

My dream is to be an ornery old man sitting in a rocking chair on his porch, with a bunch of booze and a corncob pipe, playing insanely fast on his banjo. I shall live this dream.

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

My dream is to be an ornery old man sitting in a rocking chair on his porch, with a bunch of booze and a corncob pipe, playing insanely fast on his banjo. I shall live this dream.

Ha, I'm 24 and living most of that, well sans the pipe, and playing insanely fast on any song but cripple creek. Need to add a large dog chillin in that picture too.

Get that Goodtime and you can live it too!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Replace the pickups with whatever suits you from https://www.guitarfetish.com install straplocks, and you're asolutely golden. Fit&finish are great, playability rocks, electronics are sound, wiring is tight, and the control cavities have shielding paint from the factory.

Being a guitar newbie (this will be my second guitar, I've only been playing for a couple months), what kind of pickups would you recommend? I'm still not sure about some of the finer points on electronics. I just know that I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from playing and learning. I'm not sure what fits into which guitar, and what I should be looking for.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

EvilBeard posted:

Being a guitar newbie (this will be my second guitar, I've only been playing for a couple months), what kind of pickups would you recommend? I'm still not sure about some of the finer points on electronics. I just know that I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from playing and learning. I'm not sure what fits into which guitar, and what I should be looking for.

Hard to really give a recommendation without know your style and what you like. I'd suggest going to a music store and trying out a couple of different guitars and playing around with different pickup configurations. Single coils and humbuckers, different switching options, "hot" versus "cool" pickups... I believe both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have mp3 samples of their pickups that'll give you an idea of what they're designed for, too.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

bisticles posted:

Hard to really give a recommendation without know your style and what you like. I'd suggest going to a music store and trying out a couple of different guitars and playing around with different pickup configurations. Single coils and humbuckers, different switching options, "hot" versus "cool" pickups... I believe both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have mp3 samples of their pickups that'll give you an idea of what they're designed for, too.

Mainly what I'm worried about it fit. I play mainly hard rock/metal, so I'm leaning toward Dimarzio D Activators (DP219 and DP220). I am an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic/Electronic Tech, so installation (as far as soldering/wiring) isn't a concern. I just want to make sure that what I buy will fit the guitar, as far as not having to modify it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If you buy a guitar from Rondo, pickups from GFS will be drop-in replacements. For your style humbuckers are definitely what you're after, and I have absolutely loved my Neck Dream 180/Bridge GFS Crunchy Rails setup. Great blend of tones from that pair, like I said about half of the clips I have online were done with this instrument.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Don't forget that your amp will have a much greater effect on your sound than your guitar will. A 1959 les paul through a crate practice amp will sound like butthole, but a hundred dollar chinese POS through a Bogner will sound pretty awesome. Before blowing a gazillion dollars on guitars, be sure you have a quality amp to play through. Even a good modeler/modeling software will do the trick. What I'm getting at is just don't expect to get a crushing metal tone from new pickups if you play through a stock Classic 30 or something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Gramps posted:

Don't forget that your amp will have a much greater effect on your sound than your guitar will. A 1959 les paul through a crate practice amp will sound like butthole, but a hundred dollar chinese POS through a Bogner will sound pretty awesome. Before blowing a gazillion dollars on guitars, be sure you have a quality amp to play through. Even a good modeler/modeling software will do the trick. What I'm getting at is just don't expect to get a crushing metal tone from new pickups if you play through a stock Classic 30 or something.

That's because, for the most part, a cheap guitar can be a good guitar but a cheap amp is a piece of poo poo. And a hundred dollar chinese POS is going to sound like a broken dick through anything, Bogner included.

That said yes I agree that in the final voicing of your tone the amp has a huge part to do with it. But I have a variety of good guitars with very different pickup configurations and some of them really just aren't suitable for some music. My Fender Contemporary Special 22 (MIJ) with SCNs isn't ever going to sound good playing metal, the pickups are too low output and voiced completely wrong for that. The Agile is one of my most versatile because of the pickup configuration and the fact that it's a well-made instrument, but I wouldn't use it for some stuff all the same.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

My partscaster is just about where I want it. The pickguard is from Warmoth and arrived today. I am really happy I went with the matte finish. A glossy three ply just did not look right on this body.

The body is GFS and is made of ash. Bridge is from Stewmac with Wilkinson compensated saddles. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster (hands down my favorite Tele bridge pickup) and the neck is a GFS Dream 90. The neck is a Mighty Mite soft V with a 9.5" radius. I got the neck for a song and it's turned out to be a great neck. The previous owner had it properly dressed and leveled so it plays wonderfully.

Under any other circumstance I would say this baby is finished. However, I played a 62 Tele Custom today with a Bigsby and fell in love. Now I've got a Bigsby B5 on the way. The guys at the store tells me it should be here next week so hopefully I will get a chance to install before we go into the studio next weekend.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 19, 2009

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

pennywisdom posted:

CV to the EXP input?

Right pedal is pretty much for tap tempo, but if you hold it down it creates this bizarre effect that sounds like the tape is being sped up. I can post some clips if you would like.
Can you send control voltage, like from a synth module, to the expression pedal input, or does it only accept pedals? What does the expression pedal do, or do you use one?

Also, yeah, clips are always sweet.

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed posted:

Tell me more about the pickups made by you.
for the neck pickup I made the bobbin with a ceramic magnet just to see how it would sound and used a program to wind it similar to a Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro Flat APS-II (on our pickup winder at school) then soldered it all together and wax potted it. Easy. The humbucker is like a Gibson 500T on steroids but with an Alnico magnet (because our humbucker ceramics were gigantic for some reason). I got the two bobbins and began assembling it. after stripping the 43AWG wire of the copper I soldered it all together, and wax potted it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ZoCrowes posted:

My partscaster ...I am really happy I went with the matte finish. A glossy three ply just did not look right on this body.

Is it possible to get a brushed (stainless) steel bridge and knob plate? That would really complete the look.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stux posted:

Blackstar

Agreed posted:

HT-5H

metalhead posted:

Unbelievable

Thoogsby posted:

Tube

Catastrophe posted:

Amp

Ok, you've piqued my interest. Convince me I need to buy one of these. Right now my upgrade path has been 12" crate amp -> Valve Jr. I've been happy with the tone of the Valve but I miss the sound shaping and gain control of the amp. I play mostly clean with a little distortion (which the Valve Jr excells at) but I'm feeling really limited with just one knob. I figure there's an $80 value built into the HT-5H since I'm going to need to buy at least one effects pedal to improve my options with the Valve Jr. Only downside is that the used market seems flooded with Valve Jrs right now.

What ohm(s) output is this?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Vanmani posted:

That's a good piano.

Forget headphones, get some proper monitors and listen to it in its full glory!

I have a roland pm-10, since that means that the electric drums can go in it too. Need earphones so that when people are sleeping in the house I can still play, also need something for my mp3. Might head over to AV arena and ask there.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gramps posted:

I bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 when I got my first guitar. It's nothing fabulous, but it's quite fun to play with the modeling. Eventually I'll move to something like the HT-5 and pedals, but I'm far from that point yet.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've been thinking of picking up a Carvin X100B Reissue...any opinions on these? I'm looking for something versatile and affordable.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Not sure how similar they really are, but I've got a 1984 X100B with 6L6s going through an Avatar 212 cabinet. It sounds best, in my opinion, doing hard rock stuff with a healthy portion of overdrive and the guitar's bridge pickup. The cleans are the kind of cleans that you'd expect from a British amp, a little more open and less bassy than a Fender. The overdrive channel sounds... well, like you'd want an amp to sound in the 80's. It's got a looser more tube-y sound than the crunchy modern hi-gain amps, although with the active EQ, you can cover a fair amount of ground.

I wouldn't cite versatility as one of its strong points, but it is a very good amp. There's someone else in here who's got one as well, but I forgot his name.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible to get a brushed (stainless) steel bridge and knob plate? That would really complete the look.

Brushed stainless would look pretty sweet but I have not really seen it. By this time next week the bridge should be a Bigsby.

Here is a picture I took last week with less glare and with my good camera. I think it shows off the hardware a bit better

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 19, 2009

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Hadlock posted:

Ok, you've piqued my interest. Convince me I need to buy one of these. Right now my upgrade path has been 12" crate amp -> Valve Jr. I've been happy with the tone of the Valve but I miss the sound shaping and gain control of the amp. I play mostly clean with a little distortion (which the Valve Jr excells at) but I'm feeling really limited with just one knob. I figure there's an $80 value built into the HT-5H since I'm going to need to buy at least one effects pedal to improve my options with the Valve Jr. Only downside is that the used market seems flooded with Valve Jrs right now.

I"m thinking the same thing. I'll probably pick one of the heads up in a couple months. After some looking on their site last night, it has 16 and 8 ohm outputs.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be looking at this now. I've been on the look out for a while for an amp to replace my Marshall DFX100, which is somewhat absurd now that I live in an apartment. I'm mainly looking for something that is tonally versatile, and well suited for a home environment. So far, this seems to be exactly what I want. And the price certainly seems right...

I'm wondering whether I want to go with a mini stack, or a combo though. Are half stacks just inherently better because they can be extended? I'm still kind of an amp newb, unfortunately...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

I bought a Peavey Vypyr 30 when I got my first guitar. It's nothing fabulous, but it's quite fun to play with the modeling. Eventually I'll move to something like the HT-5 and pedals, but I'm far from that point yet.

That's a perfect first amp. I've always advocated modeling amps as a first amp so new players can have more to choose from when trying to find their sound. When you're ready to move into something big and nasty you'll have a great reference point from your modeling amp.

D-activators would sound sweet going into that amp by the way.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
Do you guys think the HT-5 would be able to keep up with my wasted roomate beating the poo poo out his drums while we play? I can get loving loud with lovely tone with my Crate or borrow my roomates Deville but i cant quite get good metal tones from the Deville and need a big improvement on tone at this point.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nosir posted:

Do you guys think the HT-5 would be able to keep up with my wasted roomate beating the poo poo out his drums while we play? I can get loving loud with lovely tone with my Crate or borrow my roomates Deville but i cant quite get good metal tones from the Deville and need a big improvement on tone at this point.

Probably. Depends on your cab and how big the room is.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Gramps posted:

Probably. Depends on your cab and how big the room is.

Well right now i use a 120W Combo so i need to pick up a cab too. The rooms vary if we play live but usually they are the size of a good sized basement. I am between the HT-5 or cruising ebay and craigslist for a Laney 100GL (or VH100R but gently caress they're expensive) or maybe a Blackstar Series One 100. I want a big boy amp but i have a little kids budget. I could potentially sit somewhere around $800-$1K if i flip cheeseburgers a lot more for the next month hah.

Nosir fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 19, 2009

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nosir posted:

Well right now i use a 120W Combo so i need to pick up a cab too. The rooms vary if we play live but usually they are the size of a good sized basement. I am between the HT-5 or cruising ebay and craigslist for a Laney 100GL (or VH100R but gently caress they're expensive) or maybe a Blackstar Series One 100. I want a big boy amp but i have a little kids budget. I could potentially sit somewhere around $800-$1K if i flip cheeseburgers a lot more for the next month hah.

Save your pennies and get something nice. The Laney stuff is definitely decent- but you might consider the new peavey 6505+ combo- they retail for less than 800 new. That way you wouldn't need a cab.

The HT5 is a great sounding amp, but it won't flap your pantleg like a big amp would. It's definitely a studio beast. (Unless you have a really controlled drummer.) Regardless, in a live situation, you're pretty much going to have to rely on the soundguy to make sure you get heard with a 5 watt amp. If you play rooms with reliable soundguys then the HT5 might be a good choice. If you play smaller rooms where they only mic vocals or there is limited monitoring you'd be pretty screwed.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's finally here. :buddy:

EL34 Pitbull Classic/CLX.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
That is loving HOT oh boy! How much did that bad boy cost you?

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Waiting for a guitar to come in the mail is officially the hardest part about being a guitarist. :(

EDIT: Expected Tuesday!

Pirateparty fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 20, 2009

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nosir posted:

That is loving HOT oh boy! How much did that bad boy cost you?

I'm not at liberty to say :v:

Let's just put it this way-I paid about half of what these cost when they came out!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ZoCrowes posted:

Great guitar, man. Soft V is the greatest Fender (or Fender-style) carve ever.

Shatner
Apr 27, 2006
Cpt. Kirk

ZoCrowes posted:

Brushed stainless would look pretty sweet but I have not really seen it. By this time next week the bridge should be a Bigsby.

Here is a picture I took last week with less glare and with my good camera. I think it shows off the hardware a bit better
(Pic of a bitchin geetar this guy built)

Since you referred to it as a "Partscaster" I assume you've built it yourself from the ground up, right? If so, what did this run you total? I might be contacting you in a bit about some guitar-building specifics if the price is lucrative enough. Thanks.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Shatner posted:

Since you referred to it as a "Partscaster" I assume you've built it yourself from the ground up, right? If so, what did this run you total? I might be contacting you in a bit about some guitar-building specifics if the price is lucrative enough. Thanks.

Not a problem you can just PM me I'm happy to help. My goal was to build this as inexpensively as I could without buying crap and in the end (including the Bigsby) I spent somewhere in the $500-$600 range.

What the hell I will itemize it for you.

The body was $75 from GFS. My next build I am going to build my own body with a friend of mine who is a carpenter/cabinet maker. I've got the wood just need to find the time to get over to his shop.

Bridge was $30 something from Stewmac with compensated saddles.

Neck pickup is a GFS Dream 90 and the bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster. That ran me $90 for the two of them.

The neck is a $90 dollar Mighty Mite I got off of eBay. Tuners are Klusons so that's another $30. I did have to use a credit card shim in the neck pocket for a super tight fit. It was actually not 100% necessary I did it just in case.

Pickguard was $30 from Warmoth.

Let's say $25 or so for the electronics (I went with Dimarzio on the pots, allparts on the switch and and jack.) Another $25 for various little bits of hardware from GFS and that should just about cover it. All told I spent $395 for a guitar that is every bit as nice as my MIM Fender Classic 50's Tele. To be honest I actually like it more because I like the neck better. Throw in another $150 for the Bigsby that is on its way and I've got one helluva bang for the buck. One of my best friends who has a very nice Japanese Fender 69 Thinline Tele reissue is tempted to sell his Fender so I can build him one of these. I'll probably do a neckbucker with a coiltap and no Bigsby for him.

This is my Partsquire which I spent even less on.

quote:

Great guitar, man. Soft V is the greatest Fender (or Fender-style) carve ever.
Thanks I am quite proud of it. I had never played a V shape before and this definitely sold me on them.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 20, 2009

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

ZoCrowes posted:

This is my Partsquire which I spent even less on.

If that had no fret markers, it would be perfect.
It's really drat nice as is though.

Black Sheep Boy
Sep 6, 2006

Black Sheep Boy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 18, 2020

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Hah, am I gonna see that thing being used when you come to Providence/go out on tour any time soon?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

The Stizzle posted:

If that had no fret markers, it would be perfect.
It's really drat nice as is though.

Thanks! I never really thought about a neck with no inlays that might be pretty sweet.

This thing was dirt cheap:

-$65 GFS Body
-A neck I got from a $100 Strats Partcaster I bought used. I sold the parts for more than I paid for the guitar. So we'll say $50 bucks for the neck. It says Fender on it but I'm thinking it's a refinished Mighty Mite or Allparts
-Fender American Standard pickup I got on eBay for $20
-$30 Fender pickguard
-$30 Stewmac bridge
-20 bucks in electronics and another $10 or so hardware

So less than $250 and the thing plays and sounds great.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Black Sheep Boy posted:

Acetone Top-1 Organ, I believe from 1969 or thereabouts. Freshly restored and sounding delicious. Also pictured, the Smokey Amp that I bought at the same time. Gnarly tones, dude.

edit: This isn't breaking tables for me, but it is coming dangerously close, so if it causes any problems let me know, and I'll small it up some.

Man that is gorgeous. You should post some soundclips when you have a chance.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 20, 2009

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

ZoCrowes posted:

Thanks! I never really thought about a neck with no inlays that might be pretty sweet.
My next Bolin will have side-dots only. I've been playing mine so long, I really don't look that much anyways. Aesthetically, I think guitars look way better without fret markers, especially if the fretboard is ebony, or something more exotic.

ZoCrowes posted:

So less than $250 and the thing plays and sounds great.
drat! :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'll post pictures of my partscaster when it comes back from the shop, and pictures of my new PRS Santana SE (slated for a complete rewiring with SD P rails).