Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
I've lost the name of an old amiga game about pirates and merchants.
You could trade goods in the ports, which were represented by a wooden table on a stone floor. There were different icons I think for the different options, the one for set sails was a water puddle with a sword stuck into it. That one is a little obscure maybe, the german expression for setting sails is to "stab the sea (in see stechen)", so it might be possible this game was a german release.

You could buy cannons and different ships and mount the cannons on the ship. The travel screen was a top down view of the sea and your ship, this is were you do battle as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

billy cuts posted:

Splatterhouse maybe? Though I don't remember if it had 2 selectable characters, but the main character definitely fits your description.

Actually it was called Executioners, it just doesn't show up in the search engines.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Panic Restaurant posted:

I think this is Armadillo, which was in fact released only in Japan.

That's it exactly! Googling for "armadillo famicom" even leads to a page with the same romhack cartridge I had. Thanks!

Vexation
Sep 30, 2007

These endless days are finally ending in a blaze.

Vakal posted:

Actually it was called Executioners, it just doesn't show up in the search engines.

That's the one.

Thanks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

guppy posted:

Probably Space Station Silicon Valley.

Yes, this is it! Thanks alot.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster
I played this Battleship game probably 6/7 years ago. It had regular boring battleship, but the other mode was really neat. You had dozens of classes of ships in an isometric battlefield, it was RTS/turn based sorta. You had islands with resources like cruise missiles, oil, whatever. They were neutral most of the time. And it had fleets of ships and planes and carriers and stuff. Missile launches and attacks had FMV-like clips that'd play really quick. Can't remember it.

Anuv fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 29, 2008

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Anuv posted:

I played this Battleship game probably 6/7 years ago. It had regular boring battleship, but the other mode was really neat. You had dozens of classes of ships in an isometric battlefield, it was RTS/turn based sorta. You had islands with resources like cruise missiles, oil, whatever. They were neutral most of the time. And it had fleets of ships and planes and carriers and stuff. Missile launches and attacks had FMV-like clips that'd play really quick. Can't remember it.

I remember playing the demo to this, I think on a PC Gamer demo disc from back in the day. If no one can name it I guess I'll dig up the discs.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

Social Animal posted:

I remember playing the demo to this, I think on a PC Gamer demo disc from back in the day. If no one can name it I guess I'll dig up the discs.

I found out it's just called Battleship, made by Hasbro Interactive.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Rather than start a new thread, I will bump this one.

I am thinking of an arcade game from the mid to late 90's.

It was a on-road/off-road rally cross game in a sit down cabinet.

It had 3-d graphics.

The 2 things that I remember most about it is that there was a handbrake lever next to the seat that you used to drift around corners, and one of the levels had a draw bridge that was up. The moment you went off the bridge, the game would start counting your distance and also list what the record distance for that jump on that machine was.

Any clues?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Edit:^^ Think it might be one of the two Sega Rally games?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Rally

The second one, here, notes that it does indeed have a handbrake.

http://www.arcade-game-sales.com/products/9365-3.html

Way back in the day, the PS1 came with a sample disk of games, this one was the second edition. One of these was a game that involved a ship, or something. It was First person perspective. IIRC, it was in the top left corner of the selection screen. I think it might have been a Descent game, but I can't remember. The disk also had 2 Extreme on it, if that helps anyone.

Chairon fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 8, 2008

jonypawks
Dec 1, 2003

"Why didn't you tell me you were the real Snake?" -- Ken

Chairon posted:

Way back in the day, the PS1 came with a sample disk of games, this one was the second edition. One of these was a game that involved a ship, or something. It was First person perspective. IIRC, it was in the top left corner of the selection screen. I think it might have been a Descent game, but I can't remember. The disk also had 2 Extreme on it, if that helps anyone.

Tunnel B1 was on the interactive sampler disc volume 3 alongside 2Xtreme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbX5-YRL_x4

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/demodiscs/demo_intdemv3_a/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Many years ago there was this incredible game (probably for the PSX or N64) that I can't remember the name of.

All I remember was that it was probably a 3d-esque sidescroller with 2(?) different characters and one of them was probably a jester.

Sorry for the crap info. This has just been bothering me for a long time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PantsBandit posted:

Many years ago there was this incredible game (probably for the PSX or N64) that I can't remember the name of.

All I remember was that it was probably a 3d-esque sidescroller with 2(?) different characters and one of them was probably a jester.

Sorry for the crap info. This has just been bothering me for a long time.

Pandemonium

intro

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 9, 2008

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lowen SoDium posted:

Pandemonium

intro

Ha! That's it! Thanks!

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
I played a demo maybe 3 years ago on the PC, it was an RTS city builder in which you controlled a bunch of vikings, I don't remember much aside from that the vikings looked Settlers cutesy and that there were wolfs in the demo.

I've been trying to find it for months without luck.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

1.) I am trying to find the name of a late-80s-early-90s Zelda-esque game for DOS that I remember playing about once or twice on my cousin's computer. It had a top-down view, and every time you moved to the edge of the screen you appeared on an entirely new screen to move around on (no scrolling, like the legend of zelda for nes).

I'm pretty sure you started off the game with no sword, and I remember wandering around in frustration until I found a hut with a witch inside, who promptly turned me into a frog, so I hopped around the map a bit, but got no farther than that.

The graphics looked pretty basic, but they weren't ASCII, and there were at least 8-16 colors. I also kind of remember something about going near a lake and there being a sea monster in it, and at the very beginning there was a cave you could go into with an old man who told you your quest or something.

That's all I can remember, I was only about 7-8 at the time, but finding out what game I was playing has been eating away at me for years!

edit:

2.) I just remembered another game, it was a sidescrolling beat'em up for the SNES for 1-2 players where you were both robots and could pick different parts to have in your robot. I remember not having the pneumatic legs or whatever that let me jump far, and this causing my death when there was a chasm we had to jump over. It is possible the game was for NES but I am pretty sure I played it on the Super.

shen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 9, 2008

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
There was a thread not too long ago about "what games did something new" with the search down I can't find the thread. Anyway, someone posted a couple of screenshots of a survive FPS and it was a free game. That's all I really remember.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!

shen posted:

1.)

I'm pretty sure you started off the game with no sword, and I remember wandering around in frustration until I found a hut with a witch inside, who promptly turned me into a frog, so I hopped around the map a bit, but got no farther than that.

Huts with witches turning you into a frog sounds like Quest for Glory 1/ Hero's quest. However it was game ending to get toaded and you would not have been able to hop around as a frog.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Suspicious Lump posted:

There was a thread not too long ago about "what games did something new" with the search down I can't find the thread. Anyway, someone posted a couple of screenshots of a survive FPS and it was a free game. That's all I really remember.

Page 6 of the games forum. Don't try too hard to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022964

e: When I Google for "what games did something new something awful" I also find it.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
There was this game I had on my old Compaq - at the very least this was 10 years ago. It was some kind of rpg - the menu was black screen and white text. You could pick a team of 6-12 members I think, and selecting a job/type/class to the corresponding number listed on the legend(1 was Wizard, 2 was Ninja, etc) and they'd fill up the member slots. There were some crude graphics somewhere - I don't remember what.

The problem is, once I selected the team, I could never get the game to play, so I'm just sitting there with a black screen and a list full of Wizards and Ninjas.

This had to have been an old rear end game, like I said, at the very least 10 years old, probably even 15. It most likely came with the PC (I'm guessing it was a Compaq). Does anyone have any clue what game this was?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Could've been Wizardry, if not, check around for Wizardry-like games on sites that index such things.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

shen posted:

edit:

2.) I just remembered another game, it was a sidescrolling beat'em up for the SNES for 1-2 players where you were both robots and could pick different parts to have in your robot. I remember not having the pneumatic legs or whatever that let me jump far, and this causing my death when there was a chasm we had to jump over. It is possible the game was for NES but I am pretty sure I played it on the Super.

If it was for Genesis, I'd say it was Cyborg Justice.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This is an extreme long shot. What I'm looking for here isn't a game so much as a tech demo. I think that it was packaged in with a GeForce 2 card years and years ago. You started as a dolphin underwater swimming around with all these other dolphins, but then if you swam fast and jumped out of the water, you transformed into a bird and could fly around. Diving as the bird back into the water transformed you back into a dolphin.

Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about/know where I can find it?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Back before I had an Atari 5200, I had some other game machine... but I was too young to remember what it was. I also remember two games I played on this mystery system.

1. Was a pirate themed text adventure. This was before I could read so my mom would read the text to me and ask me what I wanted to do. There was a part in the game where if you stood on a window sill and said "yo ho" you would teleport to somewhere else. Also there was a prison with an open cell with a note in it, and if you went into the cell to read the note, then the cell shut behind you. The note said "game over" or something to that effect.

2. You were a little dude with a tooth brush and you were inside a mouth scrubbing plaque off teeth, and little green things (germs?) would attack you to try and prevent you from cleaning the teeth. If a tooth got too dirty it would die, if too many teeth died you would lose the game.

So what game system was this? What games were these?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lexical Unit posted:

1. Was a pirate themed text adventure. This was before I could read so my mom would read the text to me and ask me what I wanted to do. There was a part in the game where if you stood on a window sill and said "yo ho" you would teleport to somewhere else. Also there was a prison with an open cell with a note in it, and if you went into the cell to read the note, then the cell shut behind you. The note said "game over" or something to that effect.

This one's Pirate Adventure, and I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. I had it for the Apple II, but it was apparently on the Spectrum and other machines too.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

This is an extreme long shot. What I'm looking for here isn't a game so much as a tech demo. I think that it was packaged in with a GeForce 2 card years and years ago. You started as a dolphin underwater swimming around with all these other dolphins, but then if you swam fast and jumped out of the water, you transformed into a bird and could fly around. Diving as the bird back into the water transformed you back into a dolphin.

Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about/know where I can find it?

Can it be just a demo to show the power of the card?

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Okay, here's one I've been looking for for a few years now. Early/mid-90s fantasy-based R(?)TS. Many different types of creatures, which notably you can combine on a screen into bigger, stronger ones. If I'm not mistaken, there was a world screen where you could move armies around on a possibly hex-based grid and when armies encountered each other it would go down into a battle screen where I believe the map was oriented diagonally (one player in bottom left, one in top right). All the art appeared to be hand-drawn and had a pulpy fantasy style to it. It was definitely not anything from the Heroes of Might and Magic series; it's much more obscure. Any ideas?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Grawl posted:

Can it be just a demo to show the power of the card?

Well yes, that is what I meant by saying that I thought it was most likely a tech demo packaged with the GeForce 2. I just want to know if I'll be able to find it anywhere.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
There's this game that is some kind of a rom hack parody, it's freeware, has twenty levels, and is made so that people playing it are playing some kind of broken game that goes from playing pac man to stuff like zelda. the first word of the game is rom

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Well yes, that is what I meant by saying that I thought it was most likely a tech demo packaged with the GeForce 2. I just want to know if I'll be able to find it anywhere.

All the way down the first post are some benchmarks for GeForce 2 cards.

Odddzy posted:

There's this game that is some kind of a rom hack parody, it's freeware, has twenty levels, and is made so that people playing it are playing some kind of broken game that goes from playing pac man to stuff like zelda. the first word of the game is rom

ROM CHECK FAIL.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 8, 2009

Shankley
Nov 15, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Noktorn posted:

Okay, here's one I've been looking for for a few years now. Early/mid-90s fantasy-based R(?)TS. Many different types of creatures, which notably you can combine on a screen into bigger, stronger ones. If I'm not mistaken, there was a world screen where you could move armies around on a possibly hex-based grid and when armies encountered each other it would go down into a battle screen where I believe the map was oriented diagonally (one player in bottom left, one in top right). All the art appeared to be hand-drawn and had a pulpy fantasy style to it. It was definitely not anything from the Heroes of Might and Magic series; it's much more obscure. Any ideas?

Master of magic?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Lexical Unit posted:

2. You were a little dude with a tooth brush and you were inside a mouth scrubbing plaque off teeth, and little green things (germs?) would attack you to try and prevent you from cleaning the teeth. If a tooth got too dirty it would die, if too many teeth died you would lose the game.

So what game system was this? What games were these?

If it was an Atari 2600, it could either be Plaque Attack or an extremely rare case of Tooth Protectors

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Shankley posted:

Master of magic?

Possibly, but I think I remember the units being larger and more detailed and the graphics more intricate overall. The presence of the unit combination screen is the biggest thing I remember about it; I think there were some other unusual mechanics also but I can't remember them precisely.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Noktorn posted:

Possibly, but I think I remember the units being larger and more detailed and the graphics more intricate overall. The presence of the unit combination screen is the biggest thing I remember about it; I think there were some other unusual mechanics also but I can't remember them precisely.

If it's not that, it may be Lords of Magic, Fantasy General, Fantasy Empires or Dark Legion.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Grawl posted:

All the way down the first post are some benchmarks for GeForce 2 cards.

Been through those on the nVidia site and none of them are what I'm talking about, alas. Which means my memory may be confused as hell and it wasn't a tech demo or... I don't even know any more. Thanks anyway, though.

Zeithammer
Dec 6, 2007
Alright. Let's give this a shot.

The game I'm looking for was a rather complex building demolition simulator. You could set individual charge types/timing/amounts, and were tasked with destroying a specific building with a set amount of money. The graphics were simple, although that may not be due to age; it was most likely on a DOS platform.

There were different building materials that reacted differently to certain force, and causing collateral damage to other buildings in the area would pretty much bankrupt your company.

I've spent a long, long time on Google searching for this; the name may not be in English or related to the nature of the game at all. For some reason I keep thinking Eastern European in nature?

Thanks in advance.

e: was NOT a flash game, or really any of the high-tech physic-y stuff of recent times.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Zeithammer posted:

Alright. Let's give this a shot.

The game I'm looking for was a rather complex building demolition simulator. You could set individual charge types/timing/amounts, and were tasked with destroying a specific building with a set amount of money. The graphics were simple, although that may not be due to age; it was most likely on a DOS platform.

There were different building materials that reacted differently to certain force, and causing collateral damage to other buildings in the area would pretty much bankrupt your company.

I've spent a long, long time on Google searching for this; the name may not be in English or related to the nature of the game at all. For some reason I keep thinking Eastern European in nature?

Thanks in advance.

e: was NOT a flash game, or really any of the high-tech physic-y stuff of recent times.

Operation Cleaner 2

Have this one at home, love to play it normally for awhile to build up a bankroll, then lay maximum RDX charges everywhere.

BOOOOOOOOOOM :neckbeard:

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
This one has been driving me nuts for years.

Pretty sure its a Playstation game, set on a space station/planet or something a bit sci-fi. It had rpg and fighting elements, jrpg style health bars and "wrestling" style moves you could learn. It also had some odd plot which might have involved clones.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

This one has been driving me nuts for years.

Pretty sure its a Playstation game, set on a space station/planet or something a bit sci-fi. It had rpg and fighting elements, jrpg style health bars and "wrestling" style moves you could learn. It also had some odd plot which might have involved clones.

Hybrid Heaven, for N64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Hybrid Heaven, for N64.

Holy poo poo thats it! It sounds as utterly bizzare and confusing as I remember, thank you!