Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Black Sheep Boy posted:

Acetone Top-1 Organ, I believe from 1969 or thereabouts. Freshly restored and sounding delicious. Also pictured, the Smokey Amp that I bought at the same time. Gnarly tones, dude.

edit: This isn't breaking tables for me, but it is coming dangerously close, so if it causes any problems let me know, and I'll small it up some.

Did you buy that just so it would match the pack of reds? :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Well my THD Hot Plate has been purchased and is on its way to a fellow forum member so when I found one of these for $50, I snatched it up. Hope it's here by next week. I only wanted it because Fuzz II mode on it is exactly the pedal Electric Wizard uses to get their sound so I figured I'd give it a shot. I am so unoriginal. I just like that chainsaw sounding fuzz.

For example, skip to 1:40 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xKzcjGXHw

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

The Stizzle posted:

My next Bolin will have side-dots only. I've been playing mine so long, I really don't look that much anyways. Aesthetically, I think guitars look way better without fret markers, especially if the fretboard is ebony, or something more exotic.

drat! :wotwot:

I look forward to seeing it. I always enjoy seeing what people cook up at home. Makes these things more interesting.

I don't think I will ever buy another Fender. They're so easy to make from good parts that it probably won't be worth it. If I get into woodworking like I plan to I may never purchase another guitar I'll just make them myself.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

ZoCrowes posted:

Thanks! I never really thought about a neck with no inlays that might be pretty sweet.

This thing was dirt cheap:

-$65 GFS Body
-A neck I got from a $100 Strats Partcaster I bought used. I sold the parts for more than I paid for the guitar. So we'll say $50 bucks for the neck. It says Fender on it but I'm thinking it's a refinished Mighty Mite or Allparts
-Fender American Standard pickup I got on eBay for $20
-$30 Fender pickguard
-$30 Stewmac bridge
-20 bucks in electronics and another $10 or so hardware

So less than $250 and the thing plays and sounds great.

i had no idea gfs bodies were so cheap. looks like i'll be building one myself once i get some ca-esh.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

ZoCrowes posted:

I look forward to seeing it. I always enjoy seeing what people cook up at home. Makes these things more interesting.

I don't think I will ever buy another Fender. They're so easy to make from good parts that it probably won't be worth it. If I get into woodworking like I plan to I may never purchase another guitar I'll just make them myself.
It's going to be a while. I bought their trade show sample (in perfect condition) from the sales rep for $1,499. That's $750 off of their retail price of $2,250. I am scared to ask how much my next one will be since it is no longer a "production model." I would hardly call any of them that, since there are only 4 people in the production process. They're all essentially handbuilt.
But I will have another one in a custom configuration. Oh yes, I will. It will be mine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So I decided that I would get a few things, whynot

First, a Behringer Dynamics Compressor. AKA a DynaComp clone.

Metal housing, isn't that swell of them? Most definitely not true-bypass but I bought it to leave it on all the time anyway, in front of my DI; not for a super squish, but to give myself a controllable volume ceiling and even out the input a bit for my modelers. This is basically a trial balloon to test the idea of compression before my DI, and I quite like it, except that in true compression fashion it makes the buzz louder relative to the signal :ughh: But other than that the idea holds quite well, I'm just going to have to get some kind of buzz killing machine. It's the proximity to my computer, I think, or maybe a ground loop, or just dirty power. I don't know, I don't have this problem with any of my guitars when playing into my amp but my computer setup is apparently a recipe for buzz disaster. I've got it mostly under control since all of my guitars except the (for this reason quite unfairly neglected) Marauder have either H/H, noiseless, or active pickups. But throw the compressor on and it's back to the buzz basics again. If I knew what to do to fix it I would :sigh:

For all that the test is a big positive, I like what it does to the modeling, so I'm going to invest in a better compressor. Either the MXR Super Comp or the EHX White Finger, I think. Leaning towards the Super Comp since I like the DynaComp "sound" but some people think it's a tone killer apparently.

Anyway, moving on:

Vox DA5 portable digital modeling amp! For he so loved the Roland Microcube, that when he sold his only Microcube for a pittance, he was remorseful and eventually sought out a replacement. Played this one and I was hooked, it's 10x the amp the Microcube was. For instance, check out the control panel:

Lots more amps, effects, etc.; still one master tone control; and it's switchable between 0.5, 1.5, and 5W operation. I keep it in 0.5W to conserve battery life, that's loud enough for what I do with it which is just sit around and jam. Also, this comes with a 6.5" speaker, stock, which means that rather than having a big upper-harmonic bass boost circuit to make a tiny speaker appear to have phat bass :whatup: it actually puts out regular guitar bass. Runs on 6 C-cell batteries, which kind of sucks compared to AAs, but the battery life is pretty unreal, they quote 36 hours or something like that for 0.5W mode and around 16 hours for 5W mode (5W mode is very loud). Because of its higher power needs, it also comes with its own stylish wall-wart which is pictured above, 12V/650ma. It has an adjustable noise gate (global effect, not on the rotary effects knob), and all of the effects have adjustable parameters as well which is way, way better than the Microcube's 1/4th of a knob range of adjustment. Tap tempo for delay and other time-based effects.

All around a much cooler product than the Microcube, in my opinion and experience. I loved my Microcube while I had it but it is no longer top of the heap. And I don't think the new Microcube 4x4 nano-halfstack thing is a big step up, either...

Also there's another thing which I'll be adding to my reviewing (and which will also, I think, make my reviewing sound better all-around, not that it sounds bad now but holy crap this thing's preamp is amazing):

:drac:

It turns out the quality of the DI has a hell of a lot to do with the quality of the modeling, and that the Rig Kontrol 3 DI is actually only "pretty good," while the class A preamp in the StompIO is "outta sight," if there is a missing ingredient to genuine amplike tone it is getting a badass DI and I think this is pretty much the best of the best, for guitar (or bass).

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Agreed posted:

It turns out the quality of the DI has a hell of a lot to do with the quality of the modeling, and that the Rig Kontrol 3 DI is actually only "pretty good," while the class A preamp in the StompIO is "outta sight," if there is a missing ingredient to genuine amplike tone it is getting a badass DI and I think this is pretty much the best of the best, for guitar (or bass).

I've always wondered about this. I've been using a Guitarport for a while and I can't say I'm very happy with some of the sounds I get with modeling software. So much that I actually prefer to play with my Microcube if possible.

I've always wondered if getting a better interface would help. I'm really wanting to wait until the Stealth pedal comes out though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

So it turns out that the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, having been outed as a Timmy clone, is now being redesigned courtesy of Steve at Danelectro. Weirdest situation I've ever seen, they were under no obligation to do this but they appear to be doing the right thing? :psyduck:, confirmed by Paul Cochrane the builder over at HCFX. So if you have any local shops that have a Transparent Overdrive that you know has been there awhile, well, you might want to go buy it because there's actually, wonder of wonders, a chance that it might appreciate in value. Not by a lot, the Timmy itself is only $129 new, but there is a big waiting list and that could mean "pre-revision" TODs might be worth something.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

So I decided that I would get a few things, whynot

First, a Behringer Dynamics Compressor. AKA a DynaComp clone.

This is basically a trial balloon to test the idea of compression before my DI, and I quite like it, except that in true compression fashion it makes the buzz louder relative to the signal :ughh: But other than that the idea holds quite well, I'm just going to have to get some kind of buzz killing machine. It's the proximity to my computer, I think, or maybe a ground loop, or just dirty power. I don't know, I don't have this problem with any of my guitars when playing into my amp but my computer setup is apparently a recipe for buzz disaster. I've got it mostly under control since all of my guitars except the (for this reason quite unfairly neglected) Marauder have either H/H, noiseless, or active pickups. But throw the compressor on and it's back to the buzz basics again. If I knew what to do to fix it I would :sigh:

Not to be a douche, but you do turn off your monitor when recording, right?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Click here for the full 639x503 image.

MXR EVH Flanger, which for some bizzare reason, was cheaper than the standard MXR flanger.

I'm not sure if this counts as new, since I've had this a couple of years... but considering what has been done, it may as well be.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Heavily Modifed Crybaby Wah:

take one lovely sounding standard Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah and add:

3P3T True bypass switch.
Indicator LED.
Change 3 resistors turning it into a the Vox 847 circuit.
Output buffer so it plays nice with other pedals.
Replace the worn potentiometer with a new one.

At this point, I was pretty happy with how it sounded, however I'm a compulsive tinkerer, and couldn't stop there...
One red Fasel inductor later, and it sounds (to my ear) perfect. It's much more throaty sounding (think: Alice in Chains - Man in the box) and completely non-sucky like it was originally.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

MasterWerk posted:

i had no idea gfs bodies were so cheap. looks like i'll be building one myself once i get some ca-esh.

Yeah they are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The neck pockets are a hair wider than Fender spec. I'm talking less than the width of a credit card. That's actually what I am using as a shim. On the other hand the bridge pickup route is a hair too small. I've had to enlarge both of mine with a dremel tool. The string ferrule holes also need to be enlarged before you can install the ferrules. Not that big of a deal so long as you have the right tools.

Oh yeah, the routings for the bridge and string throughs also sit a bit farther back on the body than Fender spec so there is a slightly bigger gap between the bridge plate and pickguard than on a Fender. I've only built these with vintage style bridges so it may fit fine with a modern bridge plate. This is purely an aesthetic issue. With a Fender scale neck the guitar still intonates just fine.

If you know all of this going in then the GFS bodies are a great deal. Any problems they have can easily be worked around with a little bit of patience. For the price I am not complaining.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gramps posted:

Not to be a douche, but you do turn off your monitor when recording, right?

Haha, trying to help is never a douche thing to do. But, nope, it's an LCD monitor so it doesn't do anything anyway.

I've tested it, it's definitely all coming from my computer itself. My guitar is literally less than three feet from my computer when recording, ergo the problem. I would imagine a lot of it's from the fans, as they're quite electrically noisy and I've got four 120mm ones, two of which are anterior relative to the case.

I don't think it's dirty power since I don't get the problem at all when using my real amp and pedals even when I've got tons of gain going (same guitars, obviously, too). I guess it could be a ground loop, but most of the noise is between 500hz and 3500hz...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Heavily Modifed Crybaby Wah:

take one lovely sounding standard Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah and add:

3P3T True bypass switch.
Indicator LED.
Change 3 resistors turning it into a the Vox 847 circuit.
Output buffer so it plays nice with other pedals.
Replace the worn potentiometer with a new one.

At this point, I was pretty happy with how it sounded, however I'm a compulsive tinkerer, and couldn't stop there...
One red Fasel inductor later, and it sounds (to my ear) perfect. It's much more throaty sounding (think: Alice in Chains - Man in the box) and completely non-sucky like it was originally.

Give me that.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Haha, trying to help is never a douche thing to do. But, nope, it's an LCD monitor so it doesn't do anything anyway.

Uh.. LCD monitors are lit by bright fluorescent bulbs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

Uh.. LCD monitors are lit by bright fluorescent bulbs.

Turning the monitor off doesn't change it. I don't know how much clearer I can be, do you think I'm an idiot who wouldn't have tried trivially simple things to fix a pernicious problem?

I'm thinking about picking up the EHX Hum Debugger just to see if it would do something, but I have a feeling it's intended for real "hum," not EMI "hiss/buzz."

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 21, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The buzz around the Hum Debugger is that it samples the power supply and uses that to digitally filter any constant oscillation out of your clean guitar signal. So if your power is clean it won't do much.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, that doesn't sound like it would help, but the one thing is that my amplifier and pedals are all on one circuit, while my computer and LCD monitor, my studio monitors and sub, my audio interface, and my compression pedal are spread across two or maybe three circuits. I'll TRY it if I can get one at Guitar Center just to see if it would help, with their return policy I'd have nothing to lose, but I guess I won't hold my breath.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Turning the monitor off doesn't change it. I don't know how much clearer I can be, do you think I'm an idiot who wouldn't have tried trivially simple things to fix a pernicious problem?

No... I was just pointing out that turning off an LCD in an attempt to fix buzz isn't pointless because they have a pretty powerful fluorescent bulb in them.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ah, okay. It's just a much, much lower degree of EMR than you'd get with a CRT, which is why so many studios eschew CRTs and have for a long time.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I just had kind of a weird idea... but have you tried shielding your computer with something? The PSU or something inside could be slightly damaged and throwing off some kind of interference.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Do you have them plugged into the same circuit? An old LCD monitor of mine would cause a nasty noise to come through my studio monitors, whether it was on or off, unless I used one of those ground adapter things on its power supply. If you have one sitting around it might be worth a shot to try lifting the ground on some of your stuff.

Black Sheep Boy
Sep 6, 2006

Black Sheep Boy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 18, 2020

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Anyone want to elaborate on the differences between the MXR Flanger and the MXR EVH Flanger?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

vac posted:

Anyone want to elaborate on the differences between the MXR Flanger and the MXR EVH Flanger?

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/mxr_evh_117_flanger

It has a pre-set button to get the "Unchained" flanger tone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It's got to be something to do with a ground loop, what makes me wonder though is that the noise is very broad-band, starting at 60hz but most prominent around 2000-4000hz, yet with lots of noise above 4000hz as well. I can unplug my guitar and leave the compressor in and still get the noise, somewhat when the compressor's switch is in the off position but only slightly weaker than when the guitar is plugged in when the compressor's switch is on. However when I unplug the compressor from my DI (so that there is no signal chain at all, it's just the DI amplifying nothing plugged into it) there is still SOME self-noise as you would expect when I run that non-signal into a lot of amplification, but not the ugly broad-band hiss and buzz that I'm getting. I'm going to try some more stuff to diagnose the problem now but it definitely seems to be something related to the power, and in that case I would think the Hum Debugger might in fact be just what I need. Thoughts?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm making this its own post because it is a new subject.

I took my wife to the music shops today to show her an amp I'm thinking about trading one of my amps for, and she wanted to go to another shop in town to buy some music books for her bass. We got there and split up, she went to the books section while I went back to the guitars area, and lo and behold there was a USA-made, late 1980s Peavey Generation Standard in metallic blue hanging up. I hooked it up and played on it, and apart from the fact that the strings were in really, really bad shape, I could tell it was a great playing instrument with surprisingly good sounding stock pickups. Since I've been wanting a tele, and since this guitar came with a hardshell case that will fit any strat or tele, it was kind of a no-brainer for $200. I bought straplocks and a set of BB King 10-56 pure nickel strings, took it home, cleaned it up, installed the SLs and strings and set it up. Great playing guitar! The fret work is some of the best I've used, very, very smooth all around. Very comfortable low action and hardly any buzz at all. The pickups in it are Peavey's noiseless setup from the time period, and true to form they don't have single coil hum (and sound good, I won't be changing them any time soon). The body's control cavity on the back has a separate routed chamber to accept a battery, so I'm thinking about adding a boost to give it some extra oomph on tap.

Pics:

Don't know if you can tell from the photos, but the body has all of the same comfort routs as the Wolfgang guitars, and while there might be a small ding or two in the body and a thin scratch or two on the back, the finish is in good shape with no paint missing. I need to seriously buff the front, as without a pick guard the finish on the far side of the strings is tarnished from a lot of picking, but I've already buffed some of it out with just G'wax and a cloth so I figure it'll clean up very pretty when I get some power tools after it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It's got to be something to do with a ground loop, what makes me wonder though is that the noise is very broad-band, starting at 60hz but most prominent around 2000-4000hz, yet with lots of noise above 4000hz as well. I can unplug my guitar and leave the compressor in and still get the noise, somewhat when the compressor's switch is in the off position but only slightly weaker than when the guitar is plugged in when the compressor's switch is on. However when I unplug the compressor from my DI (so that there is no signal chain at all, it's just the DI amplifying nothing plugged into it) there is still SOME self-noise as you would expect when I run that non-signal into a lot of amplification, but not the ugly broad-band hiss and buzz that I'm getting. I'm going to try some more stuff to diagnose the problem now but it definitely seems to be something related to the power, and in that case I would think the Hum Debugger might in fact be just what I need. Thoughts?

Not be insulting, but the noise is still there without the Behringer, right?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Haha, good question, totally worth asking, but yes unfortunately it is there no matter what I plug in. Although to be honest it's been a long time since I didn't have ANYTHING plugged in but my guitar, I need to check and see if it still does it then.

The Behr dynacomp clone is actually a really cool little pedal, it does the Dynacomp thing exactly (because it's a clone) without introducing noise or hiss of its own, well, except in the sense that it compresses the signal and so certain undesirables get louder and the signal gets a little quieter in extreme cases (like my situation). Not the Behr's fault.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Agreed posted:

So it turns out that the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, having been outed as a Timmy clone, is now being redesigned courtesy of Steve at Danelectro. Weirdest situation I've ever seen, they were under no obligation to do this but they appear to be doing the right thing? :psyduck:, confirmed by Paul Cochrane the builder over at HCFX. So if you have any local shops that have a Transparent Overdrive that you know has been there awhile, well, you might want to go buy it because there's actually, wonder of wonders, a chance that it might appreciate in value. Not by a lot, the Timmy itself is only $129 new, but there is a big waiting list and that could mean "pre-revision" TODs might be worth something.

that's weird. i'm going to need to pick one up asap, then. been wanting a timmy, but can't afford one. a dano pedal, though, i can swing.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's kind of a long story, but this upright electric bass ended up without a home, and now it is on it's way to me. I've never played one before, so I'm going to look into taking lessons. Anyone know any good resources online for learning to play this thing? It's too pretty not to play.

It's a Palatino VE-500.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Here's a pic of my "work" guitar. I use this guitar to learn about how to basically do guitar repair/maintenance work.

I've replaced everything but the neck/body. New pickups, pots, switches, etc. Next step will be to replace the neck and see what I can learn from that.

Is there an easy way to figure out which neck can fit on this guitar?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Adrian Finol posted:

Is there an easy way to figure out which neck can fit on this guitar?

Not until you release the scout patch

Decided I'm not going to be "that guy"

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 23, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

Not until you release the scout patch

Decided I'm not going to be "that guy"
I said I was kidding <:mad:>

Anyways, measure the neck width at the pocket, but most tele necks will fit into that bad boy. Warmoth.com and allparts.com will have these things, and you could maybe even find one on rondomusic.com.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Actually, you might have a slightly harder time finding a replacement neck for that one, given that it looks like a 22-fret neck instead of 21, like most teles. Still, why exactly do you feel you should replace it? Assuming you've taken it off and put it back on, and fully set it up, what else is there to learn how to do?

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
No reason to be honest, curiosity mostly.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, Adrian.

Howdy, all.
It was a lot more work than I wanted to do, but I finally got the pickups installed in my newly acquired Ibanez USA Custom.
It's a 1992 USA Custom Exotic Wood, flame maple, in translucent blue. It came loaded with direct-mounted PAF-Pros and a single-coil in the middle.

I already had guitars loaded with:
Duncan Pearly Gates with Texas Specials
Duncan JB / DiMarzio Blue Velvet / Duncan '59
DiMarzio FRED / JEM Single / Humbucker From Hell

I knew I wanted Duncans, and in the neck I love the '59, I went with zebra. I kept the original single-coil for the time being and put a replacement aged white cover on it. In the bridge I opted for a Duncan Custom Custom trembucker in Zebra.
The pickups are direct-mounted so I had to get the baseplates cut to fit the pickup cavities. While I was at it I sprayed the baseplates flat black, and also blacked out some of the single-coil cover.

I got everything together and discovered that the neck '59 was WAY too tall to fit in the cavity and since I couldn't do the metal-work I did wood-work instead. I drilled out the pickup cavity just enough to lower the neck pickup into the body. I didn't want to remove any wood but there was no other way to proceed.

I replaced the pots with A500K push/pull pots and wired them to series/parallel mod the two humbuckers.

Finally it's done. I am so glad I went with the Custom Custom. It's got balls. I had been told it lacked low-end, but it sounds nice and full through my rig (a Peavey Classic 50 4x10" and a Blues Classic 1x15"). Both humbuckers sound great in series and although it's not a huge difference they sound great in parallel also.

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday morning. I now present the Dr. Faustus model Ibanez.

Check the pics out here at photobucket: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/DrFaustus777/UCEWFMTB/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Adrian Finol posted:

No reason to be honest, curiosity mostly.
Have you taken it off and put it back on yet? If not, do so. If so, do it again so you can sand the back of the neck with these. Buy them locally if you can, or really anywhere that isn't Stew Mac if you don't want to pay through the nose. Then again, you want to buy a new guitar neck just because, so maybe you have the cash to burn.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

:smug:

(I seriously need to stop buying amps while between guitars :smith:)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Nice! Are those cabs sealed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stux posted:

:smug:

(I seriously need to stop buying amps while between guitars :smith:)

You bastard. Sound clips please. I am very strongly considering one of these in a combo.