Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I concur with the two guys above me.

edit: Oh. Not above me. On the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have the first edition. I might buy the second edition, just for the hell of it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Cyne posted:

Fission - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/
TwistedWave - http://twistedwave.com/
Sound Studio - http://www.freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=5012

All shareware. I use WavePad personally, which is free.

Brilliant! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try all of these out tonight.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Kai was taken posted:

I have the first edition. I might buy the second edition, just for the hell of it.

I bought the second edition the other week. I've not had much of a chance to go through it, but it seems like a pretty good book.

My only complaint is that the chapters dedicated to specific genres are hopeless and, imo, should be overlooked. The rest of the book seems like a useful reference, though.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone got any comments? Going to have another go over in an hour and see what I can tidy/finish off.

Bit late if you only wanted feedback within that hour, but better late than never?

All sounds pretty dope to me aside from that rimshot. It just seems to dry / loud / something. Everything else I really like, but that rimshot for some reason just kills the song for me.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

mezzir posted:

Bit late if you only wanted feedback within that hour, but better late than never?

All sounds pretty dope to me aside from that rimshot. It just seems to dry / loud / something. Everything else I really like, but that rimshot for some reason just kills the song for me.

Decided to wait a while to finish it off, yours is the first comment i've had on it in 50 tindeck downloads and 150 odd myspace listens...

I see what you mean about the rimshot now - i'll take out some of the higher frequencies and see if I can soften it up a bit or just lower the mix. Might play around with a little reverb and layering.
I do want a high snappy sound and I know it can work, just needs some changes.

Thanks for liking it too :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2009

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Maybe just use a different sample? I've found it's 99.9% of the time better to switch the sound if it's not working than to load it up with FX to try and get it to fit.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Is there any way I can use the joystick on a USB gamepad as a pitch / modulation wheel? Would also be useful for the X/Y pad on z3ta

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Prize Winner posted:

Is there any way I can use the joystick on a USB gamepad as a pitch / modulation wheel? Would also be useful for the X/Y pad on z3ta
http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/joy2midi/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is the microKORG the best synth in its price range? I mean for something I don't have to plug into the computer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the microKORG the best synth in its price range? I mean for something I don't have to plug into the computer.

Do buy it secondhand. Those offered usually are nothing worse for the wear, you'll save yourself money, and you can sell it for the same price if it's not what you want. However, if you can spot an MS2000 for not much more, try to get that.

A Novation A-Station might be better but it's a rack synth (and not easily available) while the MK comes with a keyboard and can be had everywhere.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
I think the Xiosynth is about the same price as microkorg (300~ a few months ago), I'd recommend that over a Microkorg, it's the little brother to the X-station and has an audio interface.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I found the MicroKorg incredibly cheesy. The keys are tiny, the sounds are generic, the arpeggios are cliche, and the microphone sucks. Go for the Xiosynth.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

A MIRACLE posted:

If you look around you can find some much nicer synths second hand. You could, for example, buy a cheap midi keyboard and a used Dave Smith Mopho (<$400) and have a proper beefy analog monosynth. Or save up a little longer and plug that cheap midi keyboard into a used Waldorf Blofeld (~$500-600) and have some twangy kickass Waldorf sounds. I don't really like the Korg MS-2000 derivatives, they all ooze "early VA sound".

If you're just starting out with subtractive synthesis though, it might be better to look for something with a ton of knobs that lets you edit pretty much everything without diving into menus. It'll let you get a better feel for how the sounds are actually made and hopefully get you less reliant on presets.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Rivfader posted:

I have this and it's great. I don't know your level of knowledge, but mine's pretty limited right now and reading this is doing a great job of teaching me a lot of new things.
It's pretty in-depth too, so not just shallow information that doesn't get you anywhere.

What's this thing have to say about songwriting? Like patterns and stuff. I have some trouble figuring out what to do with notes other than have the bass follow the pads follow the lead. (Though some tracks do just that.)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

What's this thing have to say about songwriting? Like patterns and stuff. I have some trouble figuring out what to do with notes other than have the bass follow the pads follow the lead. (Though some tracks do just that.)

I cant comment on this book in particular but I think a lot of electronic musicians would benefit from a simple music theory primer, especially if they havent played a conventional instrument before. There are very simple rules for what chord change = what melody etc, and electronic music follows them (depending on your genre). Again I cant recommend one but I know Berklee publishes primers that are less dry than usual.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Thanks!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think Electronic gets the worst musicians around, just because you get a lot of people with no musical training who are like "HEY TIME TO DOWNLOAD FROOTYLOOPZ" and end up sticking patterns together that make no musical sense.

At least when you get crappy rock bands they can play Smoke on the Water in key.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Kai was taken posted:

I think Electronic gets the worst musicians around, just because you get a lot of people with no musical training who are like "HEY TIME TO DOWNLOAD FROOTYLOOPZ" and end up sticking patterns together that make no musical sense.

At least when you get crappy rock bands they can play Smoke on the Water in key.

It's also because making electronic music and recording are pretty much the same thing. If you're in a band you can gently caress around all day jamming and not have anything recorded to show for it but if you're making beats on a computer, when you think you're done you can put the thing online four clicks later.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Oh yeah, and the first edition of the book had some decent grounds for electronic music theory, although it's not a "theory" book. It shows off, structurally, some aspects of genres (EG, trance leads are minor keys, and they progress a certain way).

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

stun runner posted:

It's also because making electronic music and recording are pretty much the same thing. If you're in a band you can gently caress around all day jamming and not have anything recorded to show for it but if you're making beats on a computer, when you think you're done you can put the thing online four clicks later.

you say this like its a good thing

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I am having an rear end of a time making the SIMPLEST GODDAMN SOUND.

It's the lead from PPK - Resurrection

Basically sounds like a sine wave. The one that hits at 0:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPTgJbfJZ8

Someone help me out here. What the poo poo I can't get it to sound correct.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Try saturating your sine.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Use a bigger predelay?

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Terrible Horse posted:

I cant comment on this book in particular but I think a lot of electronic musicians would benefit from a simple music theory primer, especially if they havent played a conventional instrument before. There are very simple rules for what chord change = what melody etc, and electronic music follows them (depending on your genre). Again I cant recommend one but I know Berklee publishes primers that are less dry than usual.

I agree with this. https://www.musictheory.net is your friend.

Kai was taken posted:

Oh yeah, and the first edition of the book had some decent grounds for electronic music theory, although it's not a "theory" book. It shows off, structurally, some aspects of genres (EG, trance leads are minor keys, and they progress a certain way).

Yeah that's a lot of what I'm looking for. It was really helpful to begin to understand music theory (major/harmonic minor scale, chords & intervals). Unfortunately it seems I still don't understand how to write anything under 132 bpm. :(

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Kai was taken posted:

I am having an rear end of a time making the SIMPLEST GODDAMN SOUND.

It's the lead from PPK - Resurrection

Basically sounds like a sine wave. The one that hits at 0:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPTgJbfJZ8

Someone help me out here. What the poo poo I can't get it to sound correct.

Using Synth1 to figure this out, and I think yoozer's right that saturating helps but I think my initial intuition was right that you want a triangle layered in there as well as a sine.

Rather than a printscreen cause its fairly simple, start a new sound, set osc2 to triangle, set the osc1/2 mix to somewhere in the middle (thuogh I'm thinking maybe 2/3 towards triangle), osc2's fine adjust to 0, and up the saturation under the filter section, and that should just about do it (fiddle with the saturation to get it right).

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Help, please. I have used Fruity Loops for about for 9 years I think. I feel its limiting in its automation interface and overall toy like nature. I am trying Ableton on a highend PC. Knowing this, should I continue learning Live or something else? I mainly create dark dubstep and industrial/noise and chiptune tracker stuff. Im used to the tracker organizing playlist for an interface. NI Massive, wav samples, and Synth1 are what I use most often in a DAW. What DAW is going to have less of a steep learning curve for my tracker mindset?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

gargamale posted:

Help, please. I have used Fruity Loops for about for 9 years I think. I feel its limiting in its automation interface and overall toy like nature. I am trying Ableton on a highend PC. Knowing this, should I continue learning Live or something else? I mainly create dark dubstep and industrial/noise and chiptune tracker stuff. Im used to the tracker organizing playlist for an interface. NI Massive, wav samples, and Synth1 are what I use most often in a DAW. What DAW is going to have less of a steep learning curve for my tracker mindset?

Let me get this straight: You've used Fruityloops for 9 years and you've just now decided it's too limiting?

Refer to the original post. Use whatever software you feel like you can get the job done more effectively. If you feel Fruity was limiting you, all you should have to do is ask yourself if those limitations are removed by another software suite you've tried.

Not to be a dick here, but if you've been at this for 9 years, you should already know what you're looking for.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

gargamale posted:

Shed all your shackles and experience the freedom* of Buzz!

*You'll be free from almost all limitations, but also from lots of safety nets. I'll still not seriously recommend anyone to "just use Buzz" because it's so easy to get it wrong but I'll say this: If you do it right, there's nothing better.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

For less freedom, but more safety nets, might I suggest Renoise for your tracker mindset? The audio engine is absolutely superb and it is constantly updated.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

Let me get this straight: You've used Fruityloops for 9 years and you've just now decided it's too limiting?

Refer to the original post. Use whatever software you feel like you can get the job done more effectively. If you feel Fruity was limiting you, all you should have to do is ask yourself if those limitations are removed by another software suite you've tried.

Not to be a dick here, but if you've been at this for 9 years, you should already know what you're looking for.

WAIT, Fruity Loops has been out 9 years?

drat.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

A MIRACLE posted:

I wrote in this thread about a Microkorg i bought some months ago. It's got it's cons and it's pros, like everything else.

The thing I liked most about it is it's portability. It's small and you can carry it in a bag anywhere. That was crucial to me as I was moving abroad and wanted to carry it with me in the plane (not taking the risk of carrying a more expensive synth as baggage and let it be broken or lost; actually, they lost my main bag for like a week).

Also, it's go a nice vocoder which is always a good thing.

What I don't like about it is mainly it's small keys. I'm trying to learn to play a bit of keyboard playing and it makes it difficult, even when I have medium sized and slim fingers. Also they feel a bit fragile and you may refrain from hitting them properly for fear of breaking them or damaging them.

I also don't like the whole process of editing presets, it feels too much as a "ship in a bottle" thing (ie, if you turn this knob like this, then the four knobs control attack, decay etc, but if you turn it like that then they control effects, etc etc).

I think the solution for both of those is buying a MIDI-USB interface. That way you can make fast syncopated bassline patterns EBM style which would be impossible to play live (or at least I wouldn't dare to, not only for being difficult but because I don't want to break the keys). Although it doesn't solve the fact that the keys are small, it's a way to circumvent it.

But what I think it's truly cool about wiring it to a PC is the Microkorg editor: it's much easier to edit presets via PC than manually (except for minor tweaks).

If I were to had stayed at home, maybe I would have waited and saved more money to buy another synth (does anyone here own a Moog Little Fatty? reviews are welcome). But I had to get a portable one and I think it was a good option, even when I'm still learning to use it for now (been very busy lately and haven't had the time to fiddle with it as I should).

The presets are for the most part quite awful so I wouldn't judge it based on them. They seem to be geared to cheesy euro-dance producers, or the "I want to be Dr.Dre" crowd. But if some bands get cool sounds of it, why couldn't you? And I'm not speaking about supposed microkorg users, but those who you can really see them using it: IGO, Crystal Castles, this band from Barcelona named Der Ventilator, Digitalism... (maybe they're not your cup of tea, but if you do like them, they seem to make a pretty heavy use of the MicroKorg). Or maybe their sound also has to do with EQing and producing... I'm still new to EDM so I don't know.

What I think is a nice point is that the Microkorg seems to be quite easy to sell second-hand. It's a cheap, starter synth which many non-synth players dare to buy just to experiment, where you would find it harder to sell those people a more expensive synth. So you get potential second hand buyers from people who try to make almost any kind of musical genre. That's cool because I guess you won't have it hard to sell it in a far future if you get fed up of it, or in a more inmediate one if you don't really like it.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
If you hate the ship in a bottle thing then the little phatty is way more annoying than an r3 or a microkorg.

If you want a microkorg save up for a used or new korg r3. fullsized keys, radias guts.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2009

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thanks for the info. Starting a rock/dance band with 3 or 4 of my buddies and we wanted a little synth for some leads or something. Could I plug a Xiosynth into a loop pedal?? or can it loop itself.. just an idea. thx though

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Wow, I never knew you could actually edit the sounds on the MicroKorg. Now it doesn't seem like it sucks quite as much.

As for the Little Phatty, the interface is a little complicated at first, but once you spend some time behind it you will realize how intuitive it really is. Also, the real Moog analog mojo is there. I love mine, I just wish I had a place to set it up because it's a pain in the rear end keeping it in the box and having to get it out every time I want to use it. It's not as "Little" as you'd think.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Deific Presence posted:

Wow, I never knew you could actually edit the sounds on the MicroKorg. Now it doesn't seem like it sucks quite as much.

Trentemoller uses it for his live shows, and the quality he gets out of it is ridiculous. Might take some work, but it can sound amazing.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks for the info. Starting a rock/dance band with 3 or 4 of my buddies and we wanted a little synth for some leads or something. Could I plug a Xiosynth into a loop pedal?? or can it loop itself.. just an idea. thx though

yes and its 100 bucks cheaper. It's an audio interface and is has a step sequencer for gated rhythm patterns of justice.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
e; I posted a long winded vague question earlier that probably can't be answered succinctly so here is a better one.

The bass that comes in around 1:00 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzs_3NxEEI.

Help?? It sounds pretty simple but I haven't had any luck emulating it.

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 23, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Layering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Layering.

Could you be more specific?

e; Ignore this post, I redacted my earlier question in favor of another one.

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 23, 2009

• Locked thread