Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Yes, you can still re-consolidate with Direct loans:

http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/index.html

They'll be able to combine all of your loans under one repayment schedule/interest rate. They'll have to give you a new weighted average, so beware a higher interest rate than what you had if you combine the 8.5% rates with the older consolidation.

They may have other options available though, so don't lose hope yet! Give them a call and see what they can do for you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Here's an odd question. I received a loan statement from Wells Fargo and they reduced my total payment from $102.01 to $90.06. This has been going on for the last three months and I was wondering what caused this?

Of course, I'm still paying the $102.01 each month - but I was wondering what the driving force behind the minimum payment being reduced was.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Yes, you can still re-consolidate with Direct loans:

They may have other options available though, so don't lose hope yet! Give them a call and see what they can do for you :)

I'll try direct loans, and I'll keep my current block of consolidated loans separate. I mean...odds are the interest rate on them will go up, right?

Edit: I just did a quick little comparison using a loan calculator on the direct loans website, and I was right. I'd be paying a lot more in the long term if I consolidated the low-interest loan into the others.

And speaking of, how come Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans have higher interest rates than my undergraduate ones?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 4, 2009

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
courtney_beth, a lot of systems will automatically redisclose payment schedules to account for over/underpayments. Many systems do this annually, some more, some less. Some do it whenever they darn well feel like it.

If you make a habit of paying above the monthly amount due, even by a small amount, your payments will continue to redisclose for lower amounts to account for the repayment schedule timeframe :)

DrBouvenstein, GradPLUS loans have higher rates than Stafford loans. The rates are fixed by the federal government. PLUS and GradPLUS have been 8.5% for the past few years, and the Stafford programs went up to 6.8% (I believe) around the same timeframe.

New Stafford interest rates will slowly decrease against with time, but anything that had a fixed rate will remain the same. Sorry!

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 4, 2009

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Wiggy Marie, did you have an answer to my question about Wells Fargo reducing my payment by $12/mo? I'm a bit confused.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Sorry! The first part of my reply was addressed to you. I suppose I could have labeled! Edited for clarification :)

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Thanks. I just found it odd. I never paid more than the minimum payment for the first 2.5 years. Then all of a sudden I got the reduction - but still paying the old payment because I'm a creature of habit. Once I get settled completely into my new house, I will start to pay at least $350 per month.

I appreciate the help :)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I have about $60K in GradPlus loans that I had to start paying in December. Sadly, I'm unemployed (believe them, they're right).

1. Can I arrange an interest-only deferment?
2. Will any forms of deferment appear on my credit rating? I consider my credit rating to be an assessment of my worth as a human being and I'd rather starve than let it slide.

Infernus
Nov 17, 2007
Don't just stare at it, eat it
Ok so I changed schools(not transfer) and my loans are currently in grace, and salliemae says my school is part of the clearinghouse so they should become automatically in in school status, or do I need to tell my school to notify them?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
courtney_beth, you're welcome! Payments can redisclose for all sorts of crazy reasons. If you're worried you can always call the servicing agency and ask if everything's ok.

echopapa, yes and no :) During a deferment, they lender will probably still send you statements every so many months for the interest accrued if you would like to pay it. You can also make payments any time without penalty. Student loans have no prepayment penalty, so you can pay whenever you want at any time.

Credit is not negatively affected by deferment/forbearance time. I've heard from borrowers that it just shows up as "current" during those times.

Infernus, if the school is part of the Clearinghouse then you shouldn't have a problem. They'll automatically update your account. There is also an In School Deferment form available that you can probably get online at Sallie's site, if you want to fill it out manually.

You can actually create an account at the Clearinghouse to monitor when your information shows up:

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

Infernus
Nov 17, 2007
Don't just stare at it, eat it
Cool. Thanks Wiggy!

EDIT:Do they do it by social?

Infernus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2009

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Yes, it's by social.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is more of a "what should I do?" type thing, but I figure its better to ask before I turn in my FAFSA.

I've been at a community college for a couple years now, and it looks like I'm going to be getting into the local 4-year for next semester (Fall 09). Real college costs just a bit more...

I have rent and other financial obligations, and I can't pony up the 2500/semester for the next two years. And since it's real college, I might need some assistance with rent and whatnot because I plan on severely cutting back my hours at work.

I'm about 110% sure that I won't qualify for poo poo because my parents combined make 80k+ and we're all white. So I guess this puts me in just regular student loans, right?

I did some basic/retarded math and figured about 10k just for 2 years worth of tuition, and at most 10k in "living expenses" (i.e. - paying rent). But I figure that I should be able to bust hump over summer and eventually get a decent career-related gig once I transfer over.

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
Right now I have 3 loans for school. One was consolidated (from two smaller loans) at a very very low fixed rate while the other 2 were taken for the 2 years after. They're all Stafford subbed loans from Citibank. I didn't realize I'd have to pay for all 3 separately every month at about 60 dollars for each loan.

So my question is, is there a way to lower that monthly overall payment? Can I just consolidate them or will the amount I'll be paying monthly end being 180 or something?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The consolidated monthly amount will probably be lower, but in the long term you'll probably pay more, since (as you said) the previously consolidated loans have a low rate (I'm guessing below 5%?) and the Stafford are probably over 6%.

Edit: Direct Loans will have some info for you. You can put all your loans into a calculator and it will tell you how much you'll pay in the longterm, and the (estimated) interest rates for all of them.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Phone, you'll need to file the FAFSA to see how much you quality for. Worst comes to worst, even if you wouldn't qualify for Stafford loans due to a high parental income, there is still the PLUS loan as a federal loan option. That would be a federal credit-based loan taken out in your parent's name on your behalf. Before even exploring private loans I would highly recommend taking a gander at the PLUS.

If that's not an option, you will need to look at private loans to fund your education. Any lender worth their salt will beg you to go for PLUS instead, not least because the private loan industry has dried up and the criteria to qualify are ridiculously high these days - which means your parents would probably have to be involved anyway.

DrBouvenstein, thank you for your help! Delita, did that cover you?

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, thanks! With the calculator I found out there would be a 3,000 dollar difference if I consolidated and that's pretty much the amount for what I received for just one of those loans. Yeah, really not worth it. Thanks!

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

I just applied for the FAFSA and obtained a notice today saying that I am not eligible for federal aid due to not registering with selective service, i remember mailing my registration card very clearly because my dad is in the air force, the sss.gov site cannot find my registration, i dont remember getting any kind of confirmation letter or further requests to register, just mailed it off and that was that. I'm 27 now and obviously too late to register. I'm hoping I can work it out with the sss and school im applying too. In a pretty bad situation right now, just got laid off my job of 5 years, grossed 51K last year, no savings, just moved into a new place 3 months ago and decided to go back to school. Starting all over to get my AA and go from there. Has anyone ran into a situation similar to mine with selective service registration? Were you able to resolve it?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Personally I have no experience with that situation. Have you contacted FAFSA directly?

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

SAR comments tell me to call SSS to sort it out, prove that I had reason to not register but there is no reason, just my card probably got lost in the mail and they never tried following up with me to let me know that I still needed to register.

Can't get through to the number at all. Last night I called and it was after hours, this time the system just says "hey we can't take your call bye"

starting to freak out here, I'll try and call fafsa

EDIT: just called and got a helpful guy who said that they want ALL applications for males to say "register me" even if you are over 26. So I made a correction to my form and resubmitted. He says I should be fine so we'll see.

gnarstache fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 13, 2009

franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated
I'm graduating from Law School in May and going on to study for an L.L.M. in the fall. I'll probably have upwards of 250k when its all said and done. I did some research on the Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Law, which allows for debt forgiveness after 10 years of public interest law practice, among other things. My question is this: What constitutes a public interest job? Local legal aid? Working for the FCC?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
franzkafka, honestly the best people to call with your questions is Direct Loans. They're the ones with the program so they know a LOT more about it than us poor FFELP types. I'd hate to guess and be wrong.

gnarstache, keep me updated on how that turns out!

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

Wiggy Marie posted:

gnarstache, keep me updated on how that turns out!

Will do!

I just applied for a job that is in the field that I plan on studying for, so hopefully I can get that full-time while going to school part time and meet financial aid half-way to cover tuition/living expenses.

I'd rather do the opposite and go full time for school but im trying to stay as flexible as I can in this situation.

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

this is such a pain in the rear end, the correction I made has been processed and I'm still running into the same notice that I never registered with selective service. I don't know how that is possible since I received a federal pell grant for my first year of school in 1999. I have no idea where to go to find records of that grant. It's impossible to reach the contact numbers for selective service, always get a busy signal on two numbers 847-688-6888 and 888-655-1825.

google searches show forums of many people that have had trouble calling those numbers for the last 2 years.

anyone work with selective service?

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

selective service is very selective on what type of calls they will take. I went through menus that indicated that I've already received aid and looking for more info and im finally on hold waiting.

The options would place me on hold then immediately say they have high call volume and disconnect me.

I found an alternate number that is not listed on their website, the main number they have has been sending a busy signal all day...so retarded.

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

goddammit, I finally get through to a person at selective service and found out that my social security number was off by one number when I submitted it. its updated and they are mailing me the confirmation!

gently caress yeah federal aid!!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Any luck so far? Unfortunately we don't handle the selective service portion of the FAFSA process at all, so I can't really offer help in your situation :(

gnarstache
Sep 17, 2008

Wiggy Marie posted:

Any luck so far? Unfortunately we don't handle the selective service portion of the FAFSA process at all, so I can't really offer help in your situation :(

oh i know, ive through to them and sorted everything out, now I'm just waiting to get the updated paper work and complete my fafsa and go from there.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
Are there any reputable lenders offering consolidation these days? It seems like almost every lender isn't doing that anymore - any tips?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The only lender I know of is Direct consolidation.

As far as I'm aware everyone else has dropped out.

jimslim
Feb 10, 2006
NJIT's Finest
Ok, here we go.

Is there a time limit to obtain student loans? Right now, I would like to get a loan for the spring semester 2009 (of NJIT graduate school) which has to be paid by April 6, 2009. Am I way too late to even think of getting a bank to give me a subsidized loan?

Also, do I have to fill out a FAFSA, regardless of whether I want to get a subsidized or unsubsidized loan? If so, Am I too late to fill out a FAFSA form for Spring 2009 this late in the game?

Thanks in advance.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I searched back a few pages and didn't see anything about this.

What do you know about the TEACH grant that apparently just started up. I plan on teaching mathematics in secondary education, and this would be an amazing program to help with tuition, but I'm scared there is going to be some shady loophole that I didn't know about and most likely wouldn't be informed about. Teaching for 4 years in a low income area wouldn't be hard, since 5/6 schools in my area are low income...but one concern is that they might secretly 'assign' me somewhere in the state that they deem needs me versus letting me apply for a job at a low income school in my area. It seems silly, now that I'm actually typing it out...but I figure it's better safe than sorry to make sure.

I guess in a nutshell, is there anything shady that I should be aware of if I can apply for this grant or is it exactly what it says it is?

radtrad
Jul 31, 2004
OK, from an undergrad education and a masters my loans look like this:

AES - 11,500

Sallie Mae - 27,800

Education Direct - 40,000 (here's the Master's degree)

Based on what I have read, private loans cannot be consolidated. However, I believe at least some of the SM loans come from before they were privatized in 2004, so it might be that the bulk of that was public money when it was lent to me. Which means I *might* be able to consolidate 7/8ths of my debt.

Based on your earlier post, DL is the only consolidator still running. How can I get the info on the SM loans I need to find out exactly what DL can handle and what they can't?

Also, here is the breakdown of the AES loans:

Federal Stafford Loan $4700
Federal Unsub Stafford Loan $6100
Federal Stafford Loan $635

Since those involved the federal gov't in some way, can they also be consolidated? I know AES is private but these loans don't appear to me to be the same thing as a straight-out loan gotten from the local branch of Wachovia.

Thanks in advance for your help to us all.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

radtrad posted:

Based on what I have read, private loans cannot be consolidated. However, I believe at least some of the SM loans come from before they were privatized in 2004, so it might be that the bulk of that was public money when it was lent to me. Which means I *might* be able to consolidate 7/8ths of my debt.

Private loans can still be consolidated through Wells Fargo. They are the only game in town that don't charge origination fees. If you have good credit you be able to get a lower interest rate.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/student/repay/private_consolidation/

(Wiggie it would be great to see this added to the OP since it comes up so often)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
RJ, you are so right. I'll get on it.

I'm sorry about yet another delay guys, it's been crazy around here.

jimslim, there is indeed a timeframe but the FAFSA doesn't update for the new school year for another few months if I'm not mistaken (PLEASE call FAFSA directly and ask, though!!!) The real question is whether the school would certify a loan for you this late in the game. The best answer I can give you is "maybe." Private loans are certainly still certified at this point, so if you qualify for a FAFSA there's a high chance the school would certify that for you as well. We're still getting certifications where I work :)

Yarrbossa, I know pretty much nothing about that program. I will look into it if you don't mind yet more delays :(

radtrad, federal loans most certainly can be consolidated but the only business doing it is Direct. You'll need to call them and ask if your balance is enough, and get an estimate of what your interest rate would look like (I can't imagine the payments would be very high). RJ is correct about private loans. In order to get the information for the SM loans you need to contact Sallie Mae or set up your online account to view your information if you haven't already.

The biggest limitation to consolidation is that federal and private loans cannot be consolidated together under any circumstance, so you will have two separate consolidations instead of just one.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
Alright, here is a question and I apologize if this has been discussed before. Tried doing a scan, didn't see it. So here is the run down:

I am a lawyer working a low-paying government job. Graduated in 2005, consolidated my federal and private loans in 2005 through Access, except for my Perkins loan. Then the big federal student loan forgiveness act came about a year or so ago and I remember thinking that I was not eligible because I had already consolidated.

However, am I correct in reading that as of July 1, 2008 I can reconsolidate with the government and now be eligible for the program that will forgive my outstanding debt after 10 years of public service? Thank you very much.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Yes, you are correct. The place to call to make sure that your work makes you eligible for the forgiveness program (chances are yes) is Direct. You can transfer your consolidated loans there without an actual reconsolidation (it's a weird process), or you can reconsolidate to include the Perkins loan. They'll discuss your options with you.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 5, 2009

Farcus
Jan 11, 2004
Togetha?
My mom told me there was this private loan with 1% interest for selected people that I should apply. I'm going to be oweing 200k easily after pharmacy school so umm low interest is nice.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm not familiar with any program offering a 1% interest rate. Does your mom have anything else to contribute, like a name? State the program is in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Farcus posted:

My mom told me there was this private loan with 1% interest for selected people that I should apply. I'm going to be oweing 200k easily after pharmacy school so umm low interest is nice.

Doesn't exist. Why would any company loan you thousands of dollars for 1% (or any rate less than prime) when they could stick it in any bank or CD and make 3%? It's not like a car or some other purchase where more money can be made on the back end. Unless it's some sort of teaser rate (in which case stay away) I don't see such a thing existing - there's no profit to be made for the lender.