Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

ZentraediElite posted:

He didn't put in a new box, I live in a building with terrible wiring and he pulled it out to replace the connection at the plate. Unfortunately after he screwed everything back in it just popped right back out.

Is it basically a small hole in the wall where the cable comes out of to attach to the faceplate? If so, go get some small drywall anchors for where the screws go into the wall. If the cover screws onto a box, try sticking a piece of toothpick into the hole so the screw has something to grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Or just use bigger screws, I just did that to fix a 65$ craigslist drum set.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I plan to remove the woodstove from my house. My woodstove vents to the ceiling.

What things should I take into consideration when removing it?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have an invisible fence for my dogs. One of my dogs is retarded, and bolts into my neighbors yard all the time, always in the same area. The zone is turned all the way up, and the collar is also turned all the way up.

I want to expand the correction zone, and I'm wondering if my plan will work

The red is the current fence, yellow is the wire I want to ad in the problem area, and black line is a fence between the houses.

Can I simply tap into the red wire, and expand the zone like in the mspaint, or will that mess up the signal and weaken the whole boundary?

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bad advice - as far as I know it's code to have smoke detectors on their own circuit with nothing else. Sure would suck to have no smoke detectors because your hair dryer popped a breaker.

That said, any good hardwired detector should beep repeatedly when it's been disconnected from mains power. Not an alarm beep, but about once a minute or so.

Putting your smoke detectors on a dedicated circuit is a bad idea. Most, if not all, hard-wired detectors that have a battery back-up won't beep when the power goes out, they just revert to the battery until power is restored or the battery dies. Some do have an LED that goes out when the AC power is interrupted, but unless you're looking for it you probably won't notice it's gone. They will only start beeping once the battery gets low. Wire them with a *lighting* circuit that you use frequently (bedroom, hallway, kitchen, etc.), and you won't have to worry about a blow dryer tripping the breaker, and will notice right away if the circuit does trip. The power requirements of each detector are minuscule, and won't affect the lights on the circuit. I have also heard of some people wiring them with a furnace circuit or some other low use breaker, which is passable; it wouldn't take too long to notice your house getting cold or hot, but it's still not as immediate as a lighting circuit.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Is installing artificial grass on a balcony or deck a realistic DIY project for someone of low-to-average ability or is it something a contractor should be contacted for? How similar is it to installing regular carpet?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Is installing artificial grass on a balcony or deck a realistic DIY project for someone of low-to-average ability or is it something a contractor should be contacted for? How similar is it to installing regular carpet?

It's as complicated as "cut and glue."

Spread your turf onto your area, cut to width/length/angles. Roll it up. Spread adhesive with a notched trowel. Unroll the turf. Stomp it flat. Let the adhesive cure.

You don't have to use a carpet spreader to stretch the carpet to the tack strip or anything like that.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Could someone point me to a quick step by step guide on painting the exterior of your house? I especially need to know what type of preparation needs to be done before actually painting.

Yellow Jesus
Jul 18, 2003

I have four floor lamps that i want to turn on/off with one switch, they`re each on different outlets in the corners of a room. Is there any easy way of doing this short of running extension cords from one outlet?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
What is the easiest way to get a broken light bulb out of a socket? I tried using pliers but I am not getting a good torque on it and just bending the metal.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Yellow Jesus posted:

I have four floor lamps that i want to turn on/off with one switch, they`re each on different outlets in the corners of a room. Is there any easy way of doing this short of running extension cords from one outlet?

You could use an automation system like this.

http://www.x10.com/automation/automation_modules.html

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Yellow Jesus posted:

http://www.amazon.com/DSI-EZ-Outlet-Remote-Outlets/dp/B000G80V28/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

JEEVES420 posted:

What is the easiest way to get a broken light bulb out of a socket? I tried using pliers but I am not getting a good torque on it and just bending the metal.

Cut a potato in half and jam it on there. Make sure the power is off.

e: Or maybe you don't cut it, just stick it in there.

ease fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 24, 2009

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ease posted:

Cut a potato in half and jam it on there. Make sure the power is off.

e: Or maybe you don't cut it, just stick it in there.

Just so you know the last guy that tried that, on the recommendation of this thread, blew out the wiring in his whole house.

The Monocle
Nov 7, 2006

How could I live any other way?
There are some cigarette burns in the linoleum tile floor in my kitchen. Is there any way to get these out?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

kapalama posted:

Just so you know the last guy that tried that, on the recommendation of this thread, blew out the wiring in his whole house.

Really? Thats pretty rad. Obviously he had some shoddy wiring tho. You shouldn't be able to blow out all your wiring just by causing a short.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I think a bar of soap works too, and doesn't conduct electricity. Although turning off the breaker for that fixture should eliminate any potential problems using a potato.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

kapalama posted:

I'm sorry, if I ever have to "jam" something into a lamp, I usually unplug it. If I can't unplug it, I turn it off.

What is with people and electricity? As soon as the lightbulb burns out, they think the power is off and safe to play with. Electricity can kill you, people. Use some common sense.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

So I'm renting a very old house, but my biggist issue is with the bathtub. God only knows what the previous tenants did to this poor house, because the bathtub is terrifying. It's covered with rust stains and the caulk connecting the tub to the wall is black, though I'm pretty sure it was originally white. Is it possible to take off the caulk and replace it with new/not disgusting caulk? And how the hell can I clean this bathtub? I've done everything short of detonating an atomic bomb on it, but I haven't gotten any results. Steel wire brush, comet, lime away, rust away, and hours of scrubbing don't seem to make a dent. Any advice?

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.

Effexxor posted:

bathtub covered with rust stains and the caulk is black... atomic bomb

Recaulking is very possible and quite easy. Just pick up some caulk that is specifically for bathrooms. I think a silicone would be appropriate. You can get a good line with a plastic tool that they'll sell next to the caulk that costs a couple bucks. Otherwise, you can do pretty well by just running a finger lightly over it when done.

Oh, and cut the old stuff out with a utility knife close to parallel with the wall, and again parallel with the tub. You should be able to pull and scrape it out pretty easily after that. Double check that water hasn't been getting behind it, because water behind and under the tub can be a big problem.

As for getting the rust out...I wish I knew. The house I bought a couple months ago has some ugly rust in two places.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Local Yokel posted:

Double check that water hasn't been getting behind it, because water behind and under the tub can be a big problem.

What if water is getting behind it? Because by how crappy that caulk looks know, I really wouldn't doubt that water's been getting back there. (How the people who had this house before and didn't even do basic loving maintenance on it is beyond me. You're living there. I don't care if you're renting it or not, take care of the damned place.)

Oh, and another question. Somehow the dumbass tenants from before managed to break 5 water pipes in one night in the basement and I'm guessing that it screwed up the pipes above for a while, because there's some been some definite leakage in the kitchen's ceiling. The paint's all flaky and there's even a point where the plaster came of and you can see cement behind it. So of course I'd love to get onto a step ladder and scrape the paint off, except for one tiny fact. As old as my house is, there's a very good chance that it's lead paint. Any tips on ways I can take care of this, not break my bank account, and not die?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Effexxor posted:

What if water is getting behind it? Because by how crappy that caulk looks know, I really wouldn't doubt that water's been getting back there. (How the people who had this house before and didn't even do basic loving maintenance on it is beyond me. You're living there. I don't care if you're renting it or not, take care of the damned place.)

Oh, and another question. Somehow the dumbass tenants from before managed to break 5 water pipes in one night in the basement and I'm guessing that it screwed up the pipes above for a while, because there's some been some definite leakage in the kitchen's ceiling. The paint's all flaky and there's even a point where the plaster came of and you can see cement behind it. So of course I'd love to get onto a step ladder and scrape the paint off, except for one tiny fact. As old as my house is, there's a very good chance that it's lead paint. Any tips on ways I can take care of this, not break my bank account, and not die?

Wear a face mask, don't eat any, dispose of all scrapings carefully. Lead won't make your brain explode if you touch it, just like asbestos won't give you cancer if you look at it. Take reasonable precautions and work tidy and you'll be fine.

Note - don't eat asbestos either.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
How do I glue two pieces of 2mm thick 10"x10" glass together at perfect right angles? (I am constructing a glass cube)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Use UV setting glass glue, and a carpenters or metalworkers angle square. It's not meant to be a perfect cube, right? because you need to account for thickness since you don't have beveled edges.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Vaporware posted:

Use UV setting glass glue, and a carpenters or metalworkers angle square. It's not meant to be a perfect cube, right? because you need to account for thickness since you don't have beveled edges.
Thanks for the advice. But is there another kind of glue that wouldn't require me to buy a UV lamp? That sounds expensive.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Thanks for the advice. But is there another kind of glue that wouldn't require me to buy a UV lamp? That sounds expensive.

What are you trying to do? Not to de-rail the DIY spirit but Hobby Lobby sells fairly inexpensive display cubes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

The only non-messy/obscuring adhesive is UV setting, sorry. I worked at a glass place for a few weeks, it's fairly easy to use but requires a bit of forethought. I was glueing metal bosses to glass tables on my first day and glass-glass is easier. You don't need a UV lamp if you can clamp the item in place & leave it outside - a few days of good sunshine ( :suicide: ) will start the set.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
There's no need for a lamp if you're going to be getting at least 8 hours of direct sun. It's not as consistent as a UV lamp, but as long as you test the joint it'll hold. It's sufficient for non-engineered applications.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Not Memorable posted:

What are you trying to do? Not to de-rail the DIY spirit but Hobby Lobby sells fairly inexpensive display cubes.
I am making a sculpture that will house a yet to be determined number of ping-pong balls. I am thinking probably 15 x 15, and each ping pong ball is 40mm in diameter, so the box would be like 60cm x 60 cm x 60cm.

Regardless of the amount of balls I decide to use, however, there still is the problem of finding a pre-made box that will EXACTLY fit some number of balls perfectly, with no gaps.

(And thanks for the additional advice re: UV glue!)

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.

Effexxor posted:

I was about to ask why you hadn't bothered to get the house inspected before you bought, then I noticed that you were a renter. I say just make the tub look pretty and don't worry about mold and rot under there. You'll be leaving in a year or two and the landlord can deal with it. It sounds like a lovely thing to do, but it's really his responsibility to keep an eye on things like that.

As for the peeling paint, you don't have to worry much about lead based paint as long as you wear a dust mask at clean up well after your scraping. I don't think I'd be too gung ho about tackling projects in a rental though. To each his own.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I would like to be able to weld sheetmetal like panelwork on a car, exhausts etc.

For this I'd need a MIG, right? Gas wouldn't really cut it for my applications. And I sure as hell know my arc welder can't weld thin metal.

I don't have a fat wallet, so budget is a major concern. It is something I will have to save up for slowly.
I know I want one that can use gas. I don't want a flux core only unit.

My questions are:

What sort of minimum duty cycle do I need so I don't make a mess with lots of blowthroughs, heat distortion etc.?

What else do I have to watch out for?
I seem to recall a portion of MIGs out there having a permanently active electrode, ie the trigger only controls feed, not power. How common is this?

I'd probably be looking at an eBay unit, maybe even preloved.

So I'm really just looking for something for home use which I can use on my project vehicle and other things, and has a lowish probability of killing me. Please help steer me in the right direction.

Sorry if there are dropped letters. I just switched to a keyboard that has been in the shed for a while and it's keys are still a bit stiff.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I'd like to have a bike stand for storage and to make maintenance much easier (it helps to have the bike off the ground). I'm trying to limit the cost and size since it's going on my tiny deck. The size rules out the kind for sale at bike stores, so I'd like to rig something up on my own.

My idea is to get two 2x2 boards and clamping them to my deck's rail and using those. Something like this with c clamps instead of bricks. My only question is if c clamps that could support that weight would be inexpensive enough.

How much force would the clamps need to be able to support? My hazy recollection of physics, torque, and levers combined with some very fudged numbers leads me to believe they'd need to be able to handle 700~800 lbs of force each. I'm assuming a 60 lb bike (huge huge overestimate) hanging 2 feet off the board (probably a slight overestimate) and one inch going past the fulcrum (no idea if that's a good estimate or relevant), and then I'm assuming I can divide that by 2 since I'll have two clamps.

Am I thinking about this right? Should I head to Home Depot tomorrow or does anyone suggest something different?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

creationist believer posted:

Am I thinking about this right? Should I head to Home Depot tomorrow or does anyone suggest something different?

Hit up garage sales tomorrow and get a whole bunch of clamps for $6. Then you can do whatever you want. I think getting a few 1x2s or 2x4s and nailing them together so you can put 6 clamps or so per side on the railing would work out best. It's best not to engineer something like this; just put it together and when it fails, add more clamps.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Quick plumbing question: Every time someone uses the hot water in the entire dorm to take a shower the pipes groan and rattle. What causes this? I'm just curious.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
And another plumbing question: someone poured hot fat down the drain in the kitchen sink and it seems to have set in the pipes, totally blocking them. We have a sink and vegetable rinser full of lovely smelling water (I found out when I tried to drain the cold water that had been left in there)

I tried a plunger, but because there are two plug holes and some holes in the draining bit, it doesn't create a seal and I just push water and filth up the other hole. It's been this way overnight now so I don't think water pressure is going to push it through now. Can anyone suggest how to clear it out?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

BizarroAzrael posted:

And another plumbing question: someone poured hot fat down the drain in the kitchen sink and it seems to have set in the pipes, totally blocking them. We have a sink and vegetable rinser full of lovely smelling water (I found out when I tried to drain the cold water that had been left in there)

I tried a plunger, but because there are two plug holes and some holes in the draining bit, it doesn't create a seal and I just push water and filth up the other hole. It's been this way overnight now so I don't think water pressure is going to push it through now. Can anyone suggest how to clear it out?

Boiling hot water. If the old water doesn't drain, siphon it into a bucket first. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to snake the pipe, or take it apart.

Does your system have a grease trap anywhere to handle that grease?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ease posted:

Failing that, use an empty can for any grease that can congeal. Used vegetable oil should probably be disposed of that way too rather than pouring it down the sink.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ease posted:

Boiling hot water. If the old water doesn't drain, siphon it into a bucket first. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to snake the pipe, or take it apart.

I'm going to say no, though I'm a layman about such things.

I used some Domestos "15 minute pipe unblocker" which must have taken much more than 15 minutes, but I found the water level had gone right down on getting home, so I guess it must have reset after that stuff broke through. Emptied the kettle into the sink 4 times, and it seems the hot water is going into the pipe and back up into the vegetable rinser. Maybe if I do it a few more times it will get moving.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm trying to install a dimmer switch into a box with two switches (just replacing the one switch). The dimmer switch came with a wire nut for each connection, and I'm supposed to hook up the two black leads and the ground. On the old switch, one black wire is just bare on the end and will work fine in the nut, but the other wire is just a loop with some insulation cut off (it was hooked up to the brass screw on the switch):

What's the best way to hook this up? I was thinking of just cutting it right in the center, stripping off a little more insulation, and putting all three wires (the one from the switch plus what is now two wires) into the nut, but I don't think they'll all fit.

I was thinking of just hooking up another short piece of wire to the loop and then running that into the nut with the wire from the switch, but then the question is hooking it onto the loop the proper way. I'm guessing just wrapping it around the loop and covering it in electrical tape does not meet code, although it would obviously work.

Also, the previous switch did not have the ground wire hooked up, so am I cool to skip it on this installation? I do see a bare copper wire in the back of the box, but it doesn't seem to be hooked up to anything...

*edit* the bare copper wire comes in with all the other wires, I just meant that once it's in the switch it didn't seem to be connected to anything.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

devnull420 posted:

What's the best way to hook this up? I was thinking of just cutting it right in the center, stripping off a little more insulation, and putting all three wires (the one from the switch plus what is now two wires) into the nut, but I don't think they'll all fit.

I was thinking of just hooking up another short piece of wire to the loop and then running that into the nut with the wire from the switch, but then the question is hooking it onto the loop the proper way.

This. Cut the loop. Connect a wire to the 2 ends you just made with a wire nut. Get a bigger wire nut if you have to (probably a red one).

If your dimmer has a ground wire, it probably needs it to operate. Connect it and the bare wire together with a bare piece of wire and screw that into the back of the box. It's hard to tell, though; if the box is plastic, just connect the uninsulated wire to the ground wire on the dimmer.

I hate it when people loop wires. It's so very very lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joozy
Jan 15, 2004

General_Failure posted:

I would like to be able to weld sheetmetal like panelwork on a car, exhausts etc.

For this I'd need a MIG, right? Gas wouldn't really cut it for my applications. And I sure as hell know my arc welder can't weld thin metal.

I don't have a fat wallet, so budget is a major concern. It is something I will have to save up for slowly.
I know I want one that can use gas. I don't want a flux core only unit.

My questions are:

What sort of minimum duty cycle do I need so I don't make a mess with lots of blowthroughs, heat distortion etc.?

What else do I have to watch out for?
I seem to recall a portion of MIGs out there having a permanently active electrode, ie the trigger only controls feed, not power. How common is this?

I'd probably be looking at an eBay unit, maybe even preloved.

So I'm really just looking for something for home use which I can use on my project vehicle and other things, and has a lowish probability of killing me. Please help steer me in the right direction.

Sorry if there are dropped letters. I just switched to a keyboard that has been in the shed for a while and it's keys are still a bit stiff.

i recommend a miller or hobart or lincoln electric. miller being top of the line. please dont buy a harbor freight mig welder. i recommend a http://millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_140_autoset/ it keeps the electrode cold and has an autoset feature for both steel thickness and wire (electrode) thickness. its not 809 dollars. you can find it for much less, and it kind of takes the guess work out of the light (steel thickness) welding that you are doing. hell you can even use flux cored wire and eliminate the shielding gas all together. pm me if you need more help. :)