Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pet Rock Band posted:

I hate getting into genre dick-waving, but this is more Slashers than Horror.

Uhhh. It's not comedy it's slapstick?

Slasherfan you should do a Horror Megathread II so that we avoid any stupidity that's going to happen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkoubyDoo
Dec 24, 2004

PsychoGoatee posted:

For me, it ending on Jason smashing through the dock was a standing ovation kind of moment. Literally the greatest moment in cinema so far in 2009. :3:

A few people were getting up and leaving right before the ending and I said "But it's not over yet!" seconds before he jumped out. loving amateurs.

I also want to echo the love for Jason Goes To Hell (Unrated tent kill trumps all cons :colbert:).

Also, what's all this hate for Part 3? Jason gets his mask and isn't just a retard running through the forest anymore. Also the "dream" with Jason looking through the window with his mask off and running after the heroine is priceless.

Also, best kill ever is and always will be the machete to the head of the guy in the wheelchair and pushing his dumbass down the stairs. Jason doesn't put up with fakers trying to get some nookie.

SkoubyDoo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 20, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

He does have a point. Just because all slasher movies are horror movies does not make all horror movies slasher movies.

I agree that we should have a seperate horror thread, though.

evilontwolegs
Jul 20, 2002

SkoubyDoo posted:

I also want to echo the love for Jason Goes To Hell (Unrated tent kill trumps all cons :colbert:).

Also, best kill ever is and always will be the machete to the head of the guy in the wheelchair and pushing his dumbass down the stairs. Jason doesn't put up with fakers trying to get some nookie.

I'm making a list of the top slasher kills of all time in another thread... and these two just got added to my list. I can't believe I didn't think of those two before.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
There are very few Youtube mashup music videos I like, but there's a slight bit of genius found in Friday the 13th Part 3 of all things.

As well, it's genius how in Ft13th '09 that they really obviously frame the next to last shot for Jason to come out of the water but it's a drat fakeout.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 21, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

weekly font posted:

Slasherfan you should do a Horror Megathread II so that we avoid any stupidity that's going to happen here.

We can still use this one:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2793401&goto=lastpost

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Friday's tanking pretty hard outside the first weekend.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Friday had a massive drop, although it will still probably be one of the highest grossing horror movies of the last few years.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Don't horror movies usually experience a pretty sharp drop after the first weekend?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

McSpanky posted:

Don't horror movies usually experience a pretty sharp drop after the first weekend?

It's one of the most impressive drops in film history. It sort of makes sense given the rather unique position it is in for a particular day tie-in. To give some perspective, it has the 6th biggest drop in history, beaten only by Gigli and four films that grossed under $2m total.

Edit: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 23, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

My favorite part of the movie was when the black guy attacked Jason and then ran the gently caress out of the garage only to be chopped in the back by a flying machete.

It reminded me of that scene with Busta Rhymes as Michael Meyers in Halloween: Resurrection except not retarded.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

The Duke posted:

My favorite part of the movie was when the black guy attacked Jason and then ran the gently caress out of the garage only to be chopped in the back by a flying machete.

Axe

SLasher news, looks like a sequel to Sorority Row is already in the works dispite the fact part 1 isn't even out yet??? I didn't read the report because it claimed to have lots of spoilers for Sorority Row, I hate that.
Also Halloween 2 (I refused to call it H2, sounds like a prequel to H20.) began rolling this week, hopefully this will be much better then part 1.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 25, 2009

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm impressed with how fast this Halloween 2 project is going. I really liked Rob Zombie's Halloween remake, so I'm looking forward to this.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
If we're extremely lucky, it will have the same kind of skill progression he showed when making the Devil's Rejects. Knowing what worked and what didn't, I hope he'll deliver a hell of a movie.

It's very odd how ambivalent I am about LHOTL coming out. I would have thought that I'd be kind of enthused to see what they do with it but for some reason when I saw how TMC-remake-ish the Friday the 13th remake was, I started to notice those same cues in this remake too. I'm having a hard time expressing what I think I want to see to get enthused and I'm struggling. Maybe it's just because it's being staged as a neatly packaged revenge picture so it loses some bite to it.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 27, 2009

LeechCode5
Dec 19, 2004

Burn, Galactica! You're finished, Adama!
According to this Bloody Disgusting article, it looks like we'll be getting another Friday the 13th in the near future.

As for H2, I'm hoping it'll be good. I really don't care for the Halloween remake. I gave it another viewing the other day to see if it'd grow on me, but I liked it even less. I liked some of the casting (McDowell as Loomis was an excellent choice), and the overall look of the film, but the bad outweighed the good in my opinion. I didn't mind the changes made, I just didn't like how they were handled. But hey, maybe this one will make up for it.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

LeechCode5 posted:

According to this Bloody Disgusting article, it looks like we'll be getting another Friday the 13th in the near future.

Good to hear Damian Shannon and Mark Swift are working on the next script already. I can't get enough Jason.

thingfromtheswamp
Feb 25, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

It's one of the most impressive drops in film history. It sort of makes sense given the rather unique position it is in for a particular day tie-in. To give some perspective, it has the 6th biggest drop in history, beaten only by Gigli and four films that grossed under $2m total.

Edit: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

Wow talk about getting slashed. It still made a ton more money than any of the films in the top 10.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

HankMcCoy posted:

ok, i just saw it last night and here is my take:

Pros - Lots of uber-hot boobs
- pretty solid kills
- lots of really hot boobs
- characters that are straight up slasher-cliches but NOT winking at the camera doing it (rear end in a top hat boyfriend... i miss that character)
- Jason is muy badass in it
- Jason is still a ninja-teleporter

Cons - plot holes, why would he choose to attack the house and wouldnt the rear end in a top hat bf have known about Jason considering it seemed like he's been to the house many times? And does Jason kill because of stolen pot?
- bordered on torture/TCM territory with the girl chained up - didn't go all the way thankfully but still not good

Things that I've noticed people missed with the movie (despite the points you make above - I didn't see the new TCM so dunno about the shed scenes or similarities):

- Jason kept the girl chained up because (a) she stole his mother's necklace from the shack and (b) she had a pretty solid resemblance to Jason's mother (sort of the same way as part 2, when the girl put on Pamela's sweater and "tricked" him into thinking she was Pamela).

- This movie, just like parts 1-3, hints at Jason not ever actually drowning. The story goes that he survived the drowning and his mother knew about it (or may have been the one to save him). He lives, but now that his mother is gone and he has no parent, he's sort of a "feral human" and looks at Crystal Lake as being his territory. Thus, people getting killed when they come snooping on "Jason's property", the camp. And, of course, the revenge aspect, because who wouldn't want to murder the person/people who killed your mom?

(Don't forget the old lady too, near the start: "People don't go missing around here, they end up dead. We all just want to be left alone, and so does he.")

I loved that they finally gave him more of a personality, and made him sort of sneaky and cunning, and territorial. Plus keeping everything at Crystal Lake made more sense anyways, rather than other movies carrying the story outside the camp.

Boinks posted:

I would give an arm and a leg for an uncut version of Part 7.

I know when that whole DVD set was released a couple years back, it had the movies and most had some bonus/extended scenes. The part I remember best about it was in Part 7, when Jason grabbed the girl in the sleeping back and slammed her against a tree. In the unedited/uncut version, he actually slams her against the tree like 4 or 5 times, rather than just once. Apparently filmmakers felt it was too gruesome and brutal so they shortened it up.

Slasherfan posted:

Tobe honest in my opinion 8 is the worst of the bunch, I find it kind of dull and the teleporting pissed me right the hell off this time around.
Back to the new one, anyone else laugh their rear end off when Trent screamed like a bitch?

Anyone notice that the character playing Trent also played a guy named Trent in Transformers? Bay must've run out of cool name ideas, either that or he's planning a Freddy vs. Jason vs. Leatherface vs. Transformers movie or some crazy poo poo. Either way, that Trent dude was a jackass and I was SO happy to see him get killed :haw:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 13, 2009

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

I know when that whole DVD set was released a couple years back, it had the movies and most had some bonus/extended scenes. The part I remember best about it was in Part 7, when Jason grabbed the girl in the sleeping back and slammed her against a tree. In the unedited/uncut version, he actually slams her against the tree like 4 or 5 times, rather than just once. Apparently filmmakers felt it was too gruesome and brutal so they shortened it up.

I bought that box set the day it came out. Some of the cut scenes are on the bonus disc, with commentary. But they where pretty bad quality. I think they got them off a VHS the director owned. It would be nice to see everything put back together and polished.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
^ I was considering getting that set, but already had every F13 DVD already, I started buying them up on their own a few years back before all of them had been made into a set. I'm kinda glad I didn't get the set now though, I'd have thought a lot of the deleted scenes would at least be like movies now, where the scene is cut after everything else is polished and edited.

I was so mad when I found out that the F13 movies (namely the first 3) were released recently as deluxe sets, and Part 3 even comes with 3-D glasses and the 3-D version of the movie :argh: I still think I'll get 3 though, I dunno why but it's my favorite of the series and has been since I saw it as a kid :)

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Since we're between big screen slashers at the moment, here is a trailer for a title Laid To Rest that looks promising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcu2iHgkIAE
It comes to DVD April 21st.
http://www.amazon.com/Laid-Rest-Lena-Headey/dp/B001QMCJ0U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237230140&sr=8-1

In other news, Halloween 2 has changed titles from H2: to Halloween: The Devil Walks Amoung Us.... what's wrong with just Halloween 2?
In other lovely titles, Final Destination: Death Trip 3D has moved relese date till August 28th... the same day Halloween 2 opens. Someone is going to want to move or they will both be hurt BO wise.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I'm a still a little upset about the bugzapper tease in F13.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The Remote Viewer posted:

I'm a still a little upset about the bugzapper tease in F13.

They have to save SOMETHING for the sequel.

(I was disappointed too :( )

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slasherfan posted:

Since we're between big screen slashers at the moment, here is a trailer for a title Laid To Rest that looks promising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcu2iHgkIAE
It comes to DVD April 21st.
http://www.amazon.com/Laid-Rest-Lena-Headey/dp/B001QMCJ0U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237230140&sr=8-1

In other news, Halloween 2 has changed titles from H2: to Halloween: The Devil Walks Amoung Us.... what's wrong with just Halloween 2?
In other lovely titles, Final Destination: Death Trip 3D has moved relese date till August 28th... the same day Halloween 2 opens. Someone is going to want to move or they will both be hurt BO wise.

There are legal reasons that the film cannot be named Halloween 2 or Halloween II. It has to do with Universal's rights to the original film and also to Halloween 3.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Here is a slashery sounding movie.

quote:

Forced Abortions
In desperation a young pregnant teenager rips her unborn child out of her, giving herself and abortion and leaving the fetus behind, only the baby didn't die.
Taken in by an odd couple, the baby, Lester, is abused for years, as it gets older it's forced to take care of the younger children. One day the mother gets pregnant again, Lester snaps, kills the mother and father and all the young kids, he is sent away to a mental institution.
Fifteen years later he escapes.

A new center has opened up in the mountains, it's secluded and far from anything. The center is for pregnant women, it's a place where they can go and be in peace while pregnant, get away from the cities and stress. Beth needs it as her first child was stillborn and second child was killed in a car crash when he was only a few months old.
Along with 11 other pregnant women and staff members, it's the perfect place to relax. Little does she know, Lester is armed with a coat hanger and a hook and is headed their way, and the tool shed is never locked....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally got around to watching His Name Was Jason. It was pretty good, and fun to see some of the on-set stories, but didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. Eh, not a waste of an hour.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Finally got around to watching His Name Was Jason. It was pretty good, and fun to see some of the on-set stories, but didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. Eh, not a waste of an hour.

The director interviews and the interviews with all of the guys that played Jason where pretty good. Also you cant complain about random boobs in a documentary.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like Laid To Rest is getting a very limited release.

March 18, Studio Movie Grill, Dallas, TX 8:30 PM
March 19, Studio Movie Grill, Houston, TX 7:30 PM
March 26, AMC Pipers Alley, Chicago, IL 7:30 PM
April 2, Village East, New York, NY 9:30 PM
April 6, Alamo Drafthouse, Austin, TX 9:30 PM
April 9, TBD, Phoenix, AZ 9:30 PM
April 16, TBD, Baltimore, MD 9:30 PM

Anyone interested?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like Laid To Rest is getting a very limited release.

March 18, Studio Movie Grill, Dallas, TX 8:30 PM
March 19, Studio Movie Grill, Houston, TX 7:30 PM
March 26, AMC Pipers Alley, Chicago, IL 7:30 PM
April 2, Village East, New York, NY 9:30 PM
April 6, Alamo Drafthouse, Austin, TX 9:30 PM
April 9, TBD, Phoenix, AZ 9:30 PM
April 16, TBD, Baltimore, MD 9:30 PM

Anyone interested?
Nowhere near enough to me. Closest is NY, and that's still a helluva drive.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Sorority Row trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifNOIaUtSU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
What the hell is this?

http://www.gobstoppermovie.com/

It looks like a parody trailer...but on the other hand, that does look like Christopher Lloyd.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

What the hell is this?

It looks like a parody trailer...but on the other hand, that does look like Christopher Lloyd.

It's fake and Christopher Lloyd rules.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

What the hell is this?

That is so awesome. I'm actually disappointed that isn't real. That's really, really funny. And like Liquid Penguins said, Christopher Lloyd rules.

Slasherfan posted:

Sorority Row trailer.
Wow, I remember this movie when it was called I Know What You Did Last Summer.*

*Yeah, I know IKWYDLS wasn't exactly the most original movie, but serious, come on.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 20, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

UncleMonkey posted:

That is so awesome. I'm actually disappointed that isn't real. That's really, really funny. And like Liquid Penguins said, Christopher Lloyd rules.

Wow, I remember this movie when it was called I Know What You Did Last Summer.*

*Yeah, I know IKWYDLS wasn't exactly the most original movie, but serious, come on.

I remember this movie when it was called House On Sorority Row and came out in 1983.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 20, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Kind of funny, when I Know What You Did Last Summer came out everyone complained it totally ripped of House On Sorority Row, now that that remake is out, people are saying it rips off I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 20, 2009

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

I remember this movie when it was called House On Sorority Row and came out in 1983.
Yeah, fair enough.

I'm not saying it looks bad necessarily-- just incredibly mediocre. I never saw the original, though, so I don't know.

Slasherfan posted:

Kind of funny, when I Know What You Did Last Summer came out everyone complained it totally ripped of House On Sorority Row, now that that remake is out, people are saying it rips off I Know What You Did Last Summer.
Yeah, again, you have a good point. Last House on Sorority Row has just been one of those movies that's always flown under my radar. I knew about it vaguely, but it was just never one of those slashers I bothered to see. Which is strange since I pretty much filled myself in on everything growing up. It just never struck me as one of those movies that was super-revered enough for me to care about. And anyway, I don't think I ever came across anyway that had it on VHS anyway; so the opportunity never presented itself to begin with.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 20, 2009

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Was that Carrie Fisher?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

lizardman posted:

Was that Carrie Fisher?

Yup.
Here is the trailer for the original.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwTFPg_IO1o&feature=related

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

Slasherfan posted:

Sorority Row trailer.

Wait so why the gently caress does that guy stab her with the tire iron after thinking shes dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BrandNew posted:

Wait so why the gently caress does that guy stab her with the tire iron after thinking shes dead?

He thought he was in a zombie movie?