Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
speaking of glass problems, i left my ipod in my pocket and when i took it out it had a small crack! how can i fix this as cheap as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

ProdigalSon posted:

I got two minor scratches on the face of my touch from putting it into my jacket pocket with my sunglasses :(

Is there any way to buff them out or something? They're very minor and not too easy to notice but they're definitely two small scratches.

Brasso is known to work on glass, I take no responsibility blah blah.

You could try buying a screen protector and putting it on, that may disguise the scratches (and protect from future ones).

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/brassopolish/index.shtml

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

granpa yum posted:

speaking of glass problems, i left my ipod in my pocket and when i took it out it had a small crack! how can i fix this as cheap as possible?

Glass lens, US$25+$3 shipping.

http://mobile.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03537&dept_id=093&cat_id=1112

^^^ poo poo, sorry, wrong thread, the above is for iPhone..but i'm sure a glass lens for the Touch is also available for a similar price.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
RadioShack sells two screen prtectors for $10.00. Useful for clods like me who always screw up tryin to install the first one, and have to rip it off and use the second.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I Highly suggest installing a "BestSkinzEver" or something similar on the touch. Not just because it will prevent scratches, but it also takes away 50-70% of the oil from fingers which drives me loving insane.

Plus, with that on the screen, you feel less guilty cleaning finger prints with a paper towel or a shirt.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FidgetyRat posted:

I Highly suggest installing a "BestSkinzEver" or something similar on the touch. Not just because it will prevent scratches, but it also takes away 50-70% of the oil from fingers which drives me loving insane.

Plus, with that on the screen, you feel less guilty cleaning finger prints with a paper towel or a shirt.

Just make sure there isn't any dust under the skin when you are happy with it's position to let it dry. I have a few specks of dust under my screen cover and it annoys the hell out of me when there is a white background. The best thing to do is go into your bathroom, run a hot shower to get steam in the air, and then put the skin on. Unfortunately I couldn't really do this due to living in the dorms.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

Scratch2k posted:

Brasso is known to work on glass, I take no responsibility blah blah.

You could try buying a screen protector and putting it on, that may disguise the scratches (and protect from future ones).

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/brassopolish/index.shtml

Might as well give it a shot, thanks!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why the gently caress do the iTunes Store terms of service change like once a month? What are they changing?

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
Just got a 16GB Touch 2g. So far the only jailbreaking method I've found is a semi-tethered one. Am I missing something or is there a lack of super easy one button jail break method for the 2g?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Wreckus posted:

Just got a 16GB Touch 2g. So far the only jailbreaking method I've found is a semi-tethered one. Am I missing something or is there a lack of super easy one button jail break method for the 2g?

As far as I know they haven't figured out how to make a non-tethered version.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Wreckus posted:

They are still working on the "easy version", but the semi-tethered one available right now still only takes around 10-15 minutes.I don't even feel like it is semi-tethered because I never turn my touch completely off. Even if I did, all I have to do is plug the touch in, run a single program that takes about 15 seconds, and it is jailbroken again.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
^^

Before I try. Redsn0w semi-tethered is what you're talking about correct?

Also, what do you lose while doing this? Music, apps, video?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Wreckus posted:

^^

Before I try. Redsn0w semi-tethered is what you're talking about correct?

Also, what do you lose while doing this? Music, apps, video?

Use this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGZpRNf4WE

You do a full restore of the OS so yeah, you will lose everything on your ipod, so back it up first.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I really wouldn't worry about the whole semi-tethered thing. I only have a 1g so I don't have to bother but I haven't shut my ipod off since like, november. It's really not hard to treat your ipod like it is fully jailbroken.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can anyone recommend a good microphone to plug in?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
i heard a rumor that even if dev team finds a way to do untethered, they won't release it until a new iphone is released, because they don't want apple to patch any holes in the hardware during revision

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

granpa yum posted:

i heard a rumor that even if dev team finds a way to do untethered, they won't release it until a new iphone is released, because they don't want apple to patch any holes in the hardware during revision

Where did you hear that?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
You'd think that with only 2 buttons on this, it shouldn't be too much to ask that they both work for longer than a couple years. I was going to crack mine open to try and figure out why my home button refuses to work sometimes (the frequency of which is rapidly increasing), but then I realized I'd have to take everything apart just to get to it.

I'm going to try putting a drop of alcohol in the crack around the button. Any other ideas?

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 26, 2009

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

Hillridge posted:

You'd think that with only 2 buttons on this, it shouldn't be too much to ask they they both work for longer than a couple years. I was going to crack mine open to try and figure out why my home button refuses to work sometimes (the frequency of which is rapidly increasing), but then I realized I'd have to take everything apart just to get to it.

I'm going to try putting a drop of alcohol in the crack around the button. Any other ideas?

My iPod video had this problem.. it only has 1 button. It looks like the click mechanism can get stuck somehow and its a huge pain.

Also... not having Windows xp 64-bit drivers for the Touch :argh:. I installed Winterboard last night at home (where I have 2 XP 64bit boxes) and had to reboot. I learned that the Touch DFU drivers don't work for XP (You can rig the normal Touch drivers to work) so I couldn't start my iPod :(.

...installing Vista now :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Wreckus posted:

...installing Vista now :(

Took you long enough.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

^ *shrug* I had a bad first impression when it first came out (drivers :argh) so I just switched back to XP 64bit. The only thing I was really missing was DirectX 10, but now I'm having XP 64 driver issues while Vista post SP1 is a bit more polished.

(I don't want to turn this into a XP vs Vista derail tho!)

Mainly, not being able to use my Touch tipped me over the edge.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 29, 2010

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GregNorc posted:

Has anyone's wifi simply stopped working?

The one day I couldn't see any APs... I assumed it was a network issue (I was at my university at the time, they have wifi for the student body)

However when I went back to my apartment I wasn't picking up any APs, not even my own... I'm not saying I couldn't get connected to the net, I am saying I was being told there were no APs in range.

The router in my apt is working fine, I'm using it to type this up on my macbook now, and my eee pc is working fine too.

Anyone encountered this issue before?
This has happened once to me. Just hold down both buttons to force a reboot. That fixed it for me.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
^^^
That means I have to reapply the jailbreak, so I hope this doesn't happen often.

GregNorc posted:

Has anyone's wifi simply stopped working?

The one day I couldn't see any APs... I assumed it was a network issue (I was at my university at the time, they have wifi for the student body)

However when I went back to my apartment I wasn't picking up any APs, not even my own... I'm not saying I couldn't get connected to the net, I am saying I was being told there were no APs in range.

The router in my apt is working fine, I'm using it to type this up on my macbook now, and my eee pc is working fine too.

Anyone encountered this issue before?

I'm having that problem with my university's wireless network now. It works fine with my laptop, but my ipod says there aren't any networks. If I set up an ad-hoc connection through my laptop, it picks that up fine. I'm not really sure why it isn't working.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Super Dude posted:

^^^
That means I have to reapply the jailbreak, so I hope this doesn't happen often.

I'm having that problem with my university's wireless network now. It works fine with my laptop, but my ipod says there aren't any networks. If I set up an ad-hoc connection through my laptop, it picks that up fine. I'm not really sure why it isn't working.

Hm. I can't get anything... both the built in UI and this little app for finding networks I downloaded see nothing. Do you know what's the command to do a factory reset?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Hm. I can't get anything... both the built in UI and this little app for finding networks I downloaded see nothing. Do you know what's the command to do a factory reset?

Go to the iPod screen in iTunes and do a restore.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Go to the iPod screen in iTunes and do a restore.
This will completely wipe all songs and apps as well as un-jailbreak your phone if you do it. Do a backup, transfer all your purchases, and budget a couple hours for the first sync.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Got my 32gig Touch yesterday. Could not stop playing with it until late into the night and I'm still browsing the app store as we speak.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

They have a Rogue app on Cydia.. if you're into that text-based game. Its pretty well done.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Can anyone recommend a good case/pouch for the touch?

noogles
Apr 5, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

CelestialScribe posted:

Can anyone recommend a good case/pouch for the touch?

i would honestly recommend something like bestskinsever instead.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

noogles posted:

i would honestly recommend something like bestskinsever instead.

I don't know much about them. What are they like?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't know much about them. What are they like?

It is a sort of film (I don't really know what they are made of) that you apply by applying a soapy liquid to the back of the film, positioning it on the ipod, and letting it dry. They are extremely hard to scratch and make it easier to just wipe off fingerprints from the device. I can take a picture of mine tomorrow once I grab my camera, because I'm posting this from my touch! I would suggest using that and a silicon or some other case in addition to the skin to add some shock support in case you drop it. Somehow I managed to get an air bubble under my screen protector part of the skin after a month or so after applying it, but I really don't feel like buying another one just to fix that.

Here is a link.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 28, 2009

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Looks good! Do they come off easy? As in, do the corners start to peel away over time, etc?

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
I am looking for a touch 2G compatible dock with speakers.
The catch is that I am looking for a semi-stationary dock (smallish) that has ok speakers and also acts as a dock with included USB for syncing.
I looked all over the place but can't seem to find something that suits my needs. Shouldn't cost too much either, my budget is around 100€

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

CelestialScribe posted:

Looks good! Do they come off easy? As in, do the corners start to peel away over time, etc?

They don't come off easy if you apply it correctly (center it correctly so edges aren't hanging off). I didn't do this on my Zune, and by the time I sold it, one of the corners started peeling after 2 years.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Has anyone seen Golden Shellback?

http://vimeo.com/1381538

I'd get this done if it wasn't so expensive

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Astro7x posted:

Has anyone seen Golden Shellback?

http://vimeo.com/1381538

I'd get this done if it wasn't so expensive

The chance of you dropping your ipod in liquid is pretty slim if you are even somewhat careful with it. I guess you could take it to the bath with you or something.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

I forget the company I got this from, but it was based in california..

Basically, its a black micro-suede jacket that I put my touch into.. Its soft so it never scratches the back, and its just enough to keep out dirt and debris when in my pocket. It also doesn't add any bulk to the ipod at all since its just a thin jacket. Personally, exactly what I wanted for mine since its always with me as a PDA..

I wish I remember the name of the company, it was $9 but they raped on shipping for almost $7.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick
Are there any apps out there that will sync my Outlook notes with the iPod? It would have been great if Apple built this into their next update but it doesn't look like it's too high up on the priority list right now.

• Locked thread