Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Here it is guys. I know how much you all love "Gixxers"

2001 GSXR 750. 73xx miles. I believe it's fuel injected and 01 was the first year of them. I've been whoring craigslist the past couple days and saw this ad pop up.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/1039449724.html (Probably deleted now)

It was 3 crappy cell phone pics and about a sentence of a description. I emailed him and eventually got his number and it turns out he's in Compton. I was a bit skeptical at first but he sounded fairly legit and such. He's the second owner from what I know. I looked the bike over as thorough as a I knew how. Checked the VINS, title, etc. He wanted $3,800 but I originally shot him some questions and a low ball of $2,800. He said he'd take $3,000 if I came by today and that a couple other people might be checking it out. Got money from the bank in the day, gave my friend a call, and shot over right after class.

About the most intense body damage. It bugs me quite a bit, though.

Aftermarket carbon fiber piece for I don't know? I guess the pegs are, too.

Frame sliders? Awesome. I wanted some anyways.

Aftermarket rear exit exhaust. It's loud. At least compared to my stock Ninja. I quite like it.

LED Brakelights. Also not OEM? It has no rear turn signals as well. I'm not sure if they were just taken off?

Couple things. He said the guy he bought it from had a power commander installed. He never confirmed it and wasn't sure. Not going to lie. The thing has probably seen a little abuse. But it feels pretty solid and is at least straight. (From what I know). The only thing is that the clutch engages very late. At least compared to my Ninja. Obviously this can probably be adjusted but is it a normal thing?

Probably going to need a rear tire. Also a rear seat as well. He did an oil change a couple hundred miles ago. Aside from that I'm not sure if anything else has been done. What should I be looking into doing?

Suffice to say. Holy crap! I cruised home at a cool 60 mph. I'll definitely be taking it slow for a long while. Not to mention the insanely aggressive riding position. It's quite wild compared to my tame boat of a Ninja. I feel like I'm hanging over the front tire.

-edit - After looking at some pictures I am missing rear turn signals. I'll try to source some.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Whoa those LED brake lights are sick. The thing about the clutch is what a clutch is supposed to feel like. Pulling it in 20%-40% will dis-engage the clutch, and the rest is leeway. When you get used to shifting where you just tap the clutch your left hand is going to love you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, it probably just looks a bit funny because Im revvin' the drat thing while slowly creeping away and trying to figure out if I'm still in neutral or not.

I figured the license plate was aftermarket. But I guess the brake lights/turn signals are all one unit. So it's either one or the other. Probably won't fit with the exhaust, either.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 19, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh christ you bought it. :xd:

Well, you got a screaming deal. Be careful on it, as it will fly if you want it to or not...:)

That exhaust/tail setup is pretty sweet. Just get some L brackets and some aftermarket turn signals and put them off the license plate.

Those are Sato rearsets, which are quite expensive. Very nice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

Oh christ you bought it. :xd:

Well, you got a screaming deal. Be careful on it, as it will fly if you want it to or not...:)

That exhaust/tail setup is pretty sweet. Just get some L brackets and some aftermarket turn signals and put them off the license plate.

Those are Sato rearsets, which are quite expensive. Very nice.

I know, I know...

Yeah, the other one I was looking at was the 00 with 30k miles. But this one was just about the same price and quite a better deal. I never thought about aftermarket turn signals. I'll have to see if the wiring is all butched up or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 20, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This came home today.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

(One of these days I'll finally get my car registered here.)

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Just picked this up a week ago. The PO did some work to the exhaust and whatever it was WORKS. This thing sounds absolutely ferocious. The dry clutch fascinates me and that sounds great too. It is my second bike. Quite an upgrade from my Ninja 250.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
drat, that's some nice looking metal you have there. Any videos yet?

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Just picked this up a week ago. The PO did some work to the exhaust and whatever it was WORKS. This thing sounds absolutely ferocious. The dry clutch fascinates me and that sounds great too. It is my second bike. Quite an upgrade from my Ninja 250.

Hey Carbie 900SS buddy! I've had a '93 for about a year. The best advice I can give you is to get the mirror extension kit from Bevel Heaven, it's totally worth it to see what's behind you. If you have any maintenance questions shoot me a PM, I've done pretty much everything that doesn't involve splitting the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Very nice. Watch your pant legs on that dry clutch...:shobon:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Very nice. Watch your pant legs on that dry clutch...:shobon:

The poor man's ventilated clutch cover.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Hey I'm working on a getting a new :rice: clutch cover soon, after I get the pressure place powdercoated

ooo
Feb 5, 2009

CABS AH HEAA
Just picked up a new bike, 84 nighthawk CB700SC. the thing has 8,xxx on it and it looks it. only 1 previous owner, yes for 23 years, who rarely rode it, always kept it garaged and covered. he took a couple 5mph spills in a parking lot and there's a dent on the gas tank from a knee, and some cosmetic damage to the bikini fairing but no other discernable damage. this is a hell of a lot more fun to ride than my 1st bike, a 78 suzuki gs550. only paid 800 for it, the guy needed cash bad. i immediately dropped 200 into changing all the fluids, and replacing the rear tire and rear brake. feels snappier to handle, picks up quick, sounds great, looks cherry, starts every time even when its cold... I also really appreciate not having to lube up a chain. There's also a working tach and a fuel gauge, luxuries my previous bike did not offer. here's pics though cause nobody cares about text!

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
Here's an updated image of my gixx i posted in here about 3 months ago:

full story at http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62464 if you're bored.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat, sorry dude. Looks like a textbook crash really. Good weather, dry, 60 kph zone, dumb driver that doesn't look and unlucky but smart rider that wore gear and escaped with bruises.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

xelfer posted:

full story at http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62464 if you're bored.

I see your problem, those people are driving on the wrong side of the road! :v:

That stinks but at least you made it out alive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

xelfer posted:

Holy crap, that sucks. Glad you're ok and walking away from it though. I dunno how it works over there, but you should be getting full replacement for everything. Gear, clothes, helmet, etc. I guess you learned the hard way to never assume that anyone sees you :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xelfer posted:

Man, how'd you get a picture at the moment of impact? That's intense.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

Z3n posted:

Holy crap, that sucks. Glad you're ok and walking away from it though. I dunno how it works over there, but you should be getting full replacement for everything. Gear, clothes, helmet, etc. I guess you learned the hard way to never assume that anyone sees you :(

Thanks all, yeah, gear is covered by insurance here in Australia as well.

I guess being on the main road and being only other vehicle in sight, it was a difficult situation. She pulled out so drat quickly no emergency braking could have saved me, I probably should have done a little side to side swerving to be more noticable, but I dont think she looked in my direction at all. But hey, as riders we know the risks. ATGATT saved my butt, all I have is a sprained ankle (which hurts like a motherfucker). Time to hobble to the pharmacy.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

xelfer posted:

Thanks all, yeah, gear is covered by insurance here in Australia as well.

I guess being on the main road and being only other vehicle in sight, it was a difficult situation. She pulled out so drat quickly no emergency braking could have saved me, I probably should have done a little side to side swerving to be more noticable, but I dont think she looked in my direction at all. But hey, as riders we know the risks. ATGATT saved my butt, all I have is a sprained ankle (which hurts like a motherfucker). Time to hobble to the pharmacy.

Were you wearing the Alpinestars in the picture? I just ordered a pair of the Ridge model and I'm curious how the Alpinestars gear holds up.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, I was wearing everything in my picture except my leather pants were kevlar jeans. The boots got a little crushed, ill try take a photo later. My ankle was only bruised instead of completely broken, so I think the boots did their job very well.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

xelfer posted:

Crash

Jesus dude, glad you are ok on that, your bike looks completely minced at the front. Awesome to hear the gear did it's job as well.

Bloody Sydney drivers, everyday I nearly get knocked off my bike, starting to get me thinking about driving to work. Either that or start snapping some mirrors off as reminders to drivers to look before changing lanes.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

DiZ posted:

Jesus dude, glad you are ok on that, your bike looks completely minced at the front. Awesome to hear the gear did it's job as well.

Bloody Sydney drivers, everyday I nearly get knocked off my bike, starting to get me thinking about driving to work. Either that or start snapping some mirrors off as reminders to drivers to look before changing lanes.

Thanks :) I agree, Sydney drivers are loving idiots. I got the bike because traffic sucked but the trade off between filtering and not dying might not be worth it to me anymore. I think if possible I'm going to take an insurance cheque instead of a replacement bike and move back to Wollongong and use it for a house deposit. :/ Going to miss riding. Pisses me off so much that I waited so long to get off my P's and 3 months later this poo poo happens.

A few more pics, the bike was written off today:

and all that remains:

More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntriantafillou/

xelfer fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 27, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
drat, you actually got "ROFL" as a licence plate? If I was down there I'd seriously buy that off you :)

Srsly sucks about everything else, though :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rolling down the road laughing. :raise:

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

xelfer posted:

Thanks :) I agree, Sydney drivers are loving idiots. I got the bike because traffic sucked but the trade off between filtering and not dying might not be worth it to me anymore. I think if possible I'm going to take an insurance cheque instead of a replacement bike and move back to Wollongong and use it for a house deposit. :/ Going to miss riding. Pisses me off so much that I waited so long to get off my P's and 3 months later this poo poo happens.

It does truly suck that you got into a pretty good smash up but now that you have the license and all the gear you can take some time off to recover and if and when you feel that you want to buy another bike and start riding again you can. If anyone calls you a pussy for not going out and buying another bike straight away kick them in the nuts because man I saw the bike of a dude who was t-boned by a car a few blocks from my house and he had way less damage then you and he died.

Riding is risky, no doubt, if you want to take some time off, in a while from now if you get the urge to ride again maybe stick to the weekend rides, I notice peak hour traffic is all shades of hosed compared to weekends where people are chill.

If you do get a bike in the future, let myself or one of the other Sydney bike goons know and we will come down south for a ride.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

This is the start of many bad things. Custom 30 year old frame, XS650 mounts, sporty tank, custom electrics box and rear fender. Getting a CB750 front end (has a bit of rake so no need to cut the shocks down), custom front and rear rims etc etc. Will be fun, but I'd rather the FXDC in the background : (

kaws! fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 1, 2009

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

xelfer posted:

Goddamn it, I've been thinking of booking in for my Ls for a few months now and then I have to go and see this poo poo! I'm in Sydney too although I don't intend to ride for a work commute or anything - I'm more thinking I'd like to do weekend rides like DiZ says, so hopefully that will cut the risk down significantly...

I had someone pull out in front of me on my MTB recently though, I was doing about 50km/h and as soon as I saw her coming in from the side street I started braking - just as well because although she looked in my direction first, as she looked to the left and the right again she was rolling the whole time, and only saw me at the last second as I started skidding and our eyes met. loving idiot. If she hadn't managed to slam the brake on I'd have gone for a trip over the bonnet.

Anyway, nice escape man, not surprised you're rattled and thinking of giving riding away! So many muppets on the road.. :(

kaws!
May 25, 2008

CB400 front on it now, No idea what the rims are off (old suzi I think). Motor should arrive soon for the rebuild :)

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
My '07 250

Put 1200 miles on it in September and October of last year. I just pulled it out of storage (hence the mud on the tires) but haven't ridden it yet this spring.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Those are the first flames on a bike I've seen that I don't hate. Subtle, if that's the right word. Factory flames?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Ola posted:

Those are the first flames on a bike I've seen that I don't hate. Subtle, if that's the right word. Factory flames?

Yeah, I actually don't like them but you take what you can get. My GF has a 98 that has purple flames to go along with the red...I'm really glad I didn't get stuck with that! I got lucky and was able to get this one brand new last summer.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Picked up my first bike on Friday. Cant wait for the weather to warm up now.

05 Ducati Monster 620

my hosting

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I found shots of my GS425. It's a 1979. We saved it from becoming a chopper. It runs. And is in that video of me doing a burnout and crashing.

And my $300 of yamaha.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 9, 2009

twokota
Sep 9, 2001

Waiting to fall...
My 2006 BMW F650 GS Dakar

2000 Honda XR650R

After the first season I owned it, prepping for new exhaust:

Installed:

Putting back together after full tear down:

The garage:

First ride:

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
My Ninja 250, as of today. I took the saddle bags off for the photos. The previous owner is responsible for most of the damage, he said he dropped it in his gravel driveway in the course of some hooliganism.

Click here for the full 1830x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1800x1350 image.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

sectoidman posted:

My Ninja 250, as of today. I took the saddle bags off for the photos. The previous owner is responsible for most of the damage, he said he dropped it in his gravel driveway in the course of some hooliganism.
That's a good looking ninja.

You should have left the saddle bags on though :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sklnd posted:

That's a good looking ninja.

You should have left the saddle bags on though :colbert:

Post your ninja dude. It's looking cool now.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nerobro posted:

We saved it from becoming a chopper.
you did a good deed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

you did a good deed.

Every time a chopper build is stopped, an angel gets its wings.