Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmony Beatle
Apr 24, 2005
I'm planning a reception in a state other than where I live. I currently live in Kansas City, but almost all of my family is in Chicago, and the reception will be there. We decided to keep it really simple (inexpensive), and have the reception in my cousin's backyard. My cousin and mom have been doing most of the planning for the reception for me. They're taking care of the catering, table and chair rental, setting up decor, etc. I've been sending them suggestions and pictures of what I want via email.

Our wedding is actually going to be in Maui - we originally wanted to elope, but I knew it was really important for my mom to be there, and now we're going to have about 10 guests total fly out. But at least we're honeymooning on a separate island, so it won't be too weird having all my family around.

Also, about the reception: I know most people typically pick two wedding colors, but my fiancé and I really want more than that. We'd like to incorporate about five different colors or so, but my mom thinks this will be "tacky". I don't really see why I need to be limited to just two colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
How were you considering 5 colors? I can see 3 maybe, but 5 might be a bit overboard.. but the #1 rule to wedding planning is that its your wedding.. do whatever you want.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

Harmony Beatle posted:

Also, about the reception: I know most people typically pick two wedding colors, but my fiancé and I really want more than that. We'd like to incorporate about five different colors or so, but my mom thinks this will be "tacky". I don't really see why I need to be limited to just two colors?

What are the colors? Are they similar or 5 completely different colors? I think it would be possible, but it would be much more difficult to achieve a harmonious look.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Oh man, this thread is going to be a god-send for me. My fiance and I are just starting to plan the wedding, luckily she will be doing most of the planning.

I think our budget is going to be between $15,000 - $20,000, so I think we should get mostly everything she wants with about 150 guests. Time to read the thread!

Harmony Beatle
Apr 24, 2005

Yoga posted:

What are the colors? Are they similar or 5 completely different colors? I think it would be possible, but it would be much more difficult to achieve a harmonious look.

Well the reception is a "Hawaiian Luau" theme. People are going to be wearing Hawaiian shirts and what not, so I feel like there will be lots of colors around anyway. I wanted orange, red, blue, green, and yellow! Maybe not in the table linens, but in the flowers/centerpieces for sure. We also wanted various colored paper lanterns hanging from the trees. Does that seem too overboard? Just two colors seems so limited for this type of event.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Oh man, this thread is going to be a god-send for me. My fiance and I are just starting to plan the wedding, luckily she will be doing most of the planning.

I think our budget is going to be between $15,000 - $20,000, so I think we should get mostly everything she wants with about 150 guests. Time to read the thread!

Naturally that totally depends where and when you are doing it. Since you are just starting out when looking at halls, remember fridays and sundays are usually pretty heavily discounted. In my case, not only did we get a 20% discount, we also got both their large rooms, as well as pricing from the year we first met with the hall manager.

Since your budget is from 15-20k, sticking with an "off" day, you should do pretty well.. Around by me, a nice hall runs about $100/head, with very nice halls at $150+ /head.. For comparison "not-so-nice" halls (think pink walls or 20 yer old décor) could run $50-70/h.

Enjoy reading the thread.. There's alot of ways to save money here and there

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

FidgetyRat posted:

Naturally that totally depends where and when you are doing it. Since you are just starting out when looking at halls, remember fridays and sundays are usually pretty heavily discounted. In my case, not only did we get a 20% discount, we also got both their large rooms, as well as pricing from the year we first met with the hall manager.

Since your budget is from 15-20k, sticking with an "off" day, you should do pretty well.. Around by me, a nice hall runs about $100/head, with very nice halls at $150+ /head.. For comparison "not-so-nice" halls (think pink walls or 20 yer old décor) could run $50-70/h.

Enjoy reading the thread.. There's alot of ways to save money here and there

Thanks, we are going to do the whole one venue for the entire wedding and not get married in a church. That should take some cost out of the wedding, also what we have going for us is that we are in Northern Indiana and prices (usually) aren't at the top like other cities.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Our date is in 2012, but I love planning ahead. We'd really rather save money, but the one thing that we've kept in mind was going on a cruise for ten days or so. After a lot of budgeting, we thought it might be fun to either elope and then cruise or get married on a cruise (with live webcam; apparently this is comon in weddings on cruise ships) with our parents and one best friend each in tow. This is a lot cheaper than a wedding, but still not cheap by our standards (we're poor; thus the date). So, some questions:

1. What should I tell my (huge) family when I announce it? Honestly, I'd have been planning a ceremony far away so that most of them wouldn't come but would still send gifts (like you're not thinking it too), but should I send them a save-the-date cards a long way in advance and then say we've changed our plans, or what?

2. Has anyone done anything like that on a cruise ship? We're from the US and thinking about cruising in Scandanavia, so I don't know what the legal implications are. The romance packages on most ships are chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne (not worth paying extra for), and the on-board weddings seem pretty pricey, too.

3. Is it expected to pay for the guests, or to have them pay for themselves?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kitten Kisses posted:

Now I need to figure out how to plan a wedding in Seattle from Los Angeles. I can't remember if it was ever really discussed much in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with planning a wedding in a different state from where they live?

I'm planning a Hawaii wedding from Japan (May 4th) and it's going very well! Less than 20 people are coming so there's no reception. No bridesmaids, no DJ, no dancing, no catering, no speeches. We're doing a non-religious ceremony + photos package. We don't even need decorations because we're on the beach! Everyone will go out to brunch after. Deciding a day and booking airfare was the hardest part.
The downside is my fiancee can only get a week off so there's no time for a private honeymoon. We're going to go to a spa in Japan this summer after we're settled down.
After the photos come back, we're going to have a housewarming bbq- that's kind of like a reception for Japanese friends who couldn't make it out to Hawaii.

Harmony Beatle posted:

Well the reception is a "Hawaiian Luau" theme. People are going to be wearing Hawaiian shirts and what not, so I feel like there will be lots of colors around anyway. I wanted orange, red, blue, green, and yellow! Maybe not in the table linens, but in the flowers/centerpieces for sure. We also wanted various colored paper lanterns hanging from the trees. Does that seem too overboard? Just two colors seems so limited for this type of event.

Instead of specifying those 5 colors, say "Hawaiian rainbow" and everyone will get what you're going for. Usually wedding receptions have white stuff, but I like the idea of different colored tables cloths ("You're at the orange table!), and pairing rainbows with wood and nature.

peanut fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 22, 2009

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

Zaftig posted:

1. What should I tell my (huge) family when I announce it? Honestly, I'd have been planning a ceremony far away so that most of them wouldn't come but would still send gifts (like you're not thinking it too), but should I send them a save-the-date cards a long way in advance and then say we've changed our plans, or what?

I would tell them that you are planning on getting married on a cruise ship, and are just going to do something very, very small. Telling them to save the date when you know you aren't going to invite them seems really rude.

If you're that concerned about gifts, you could just send out announcements after the fact, and then cross your fingers. Or, you could consider holding a low-key reception after the fact.

Just out of curiosity, why no invite everyone on the cruise?

Zaftig posted:

3. Is it expected to pay for the guests, or to have them pay for themselves?

It isn't expected, but it sure would be nice of you.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Harmony Beatle posted:

I can see it working in a tropical kind of look, with bunches of bright flowers but I'd personally pick one or two colours as your 'main' colours alongside that to tie it all together.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Thanks, we are going to do the whole one venue for the entire wedding and not get married in a church. That should take some cost out of the wedding, also what we have going for us is that we are in Northern Indiana and prices (usually) aren't at the top like other cities.

We're doing the same since both of us have no religion..

I'm not sure what churches charge (I believe in general they are "donations"), but I do know that most halls I have spoken with charged about $500 extra to do a ceremony on their grounds and the officiant is going to cost several hundred as well. Even without doing a ceremony in church, its going to cost us about $1000 for that whopping 20 minutes.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

McDougirl posted:

I would tell them that you are planning on getting married on a cruise ship, and are just going to do something very, very small. Telling them to save the date when you know you aren't going to invite them seems really rude.

If you're that concerned about gifts, you could just send out announcements after the fact, and then cross your fingers. Or, you could consider holding a low-key reception after the fact.

Just out of curiosity, why no invite everyone on the cruise?
The only reason I thought of sending a save the date was that I was thinking about using live video footage. I realize it seems rude, but it's kind of like sending graduation invitations in my mind: the biggest people in my life will want to be there, and everyone else would rather save the cost of attending and send a card. I'd rather have a really fun time with a very tiny group, and that's all I can afford.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Zaftig posted:

The only reason I thought of sending a save the date was that I was thinking about using live video footage. I realize it seems rude, but it's kind of like sending graduation invitations in my mind: the biggest people in my life will want to be there, and everyone else would rather save the cost of attending and send a card. I'd rather have a really fun time with a very tiny group, and that's all I can afford.

You could always have a reception after the cruise, and bring video of the actual ceremony on the ship to show everyone. Just send out invites and save the dates to that instead of the ceremony itself. I dunno if it'd work out for you perfectly, but it's something to consider. You could even go pretty cheap on it and just have it at home or something like that.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

Zaftig posted:

I would either say that you should let them make the decision about cost/importance or just invite them to view it. Send out "invites" with the time/date/url. Or do what King Skinny Pimp suggested, and view it together later (really, do this, it's the best idea.)

It just seems to me that if you send "save the date" cards, someone might be inclined to do something wacky like: not make any other plans that weekend, with the intention of celebrating that day special day with you.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

Oh wow, that is an amazing ring. I'm sure she's going to adore it!

If she's expecting you to propose on your first first-date anniversary, you should do it a little early, to surprise her!

I decided I couldn't wait any longer, and ended up asking her this past Friday. She said yes, and absolutely loved the ring! Now the real fun starts hehe.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

FidgetyRat posted:

We're doing the same since both of us have no religion..

I'm not sure what churches charge (I believe in general they are "donations"), but I do know that most halls I have spoken with charged about $500 extra to do a ceremony on their grounds and the officiant is going to cost several hundred as well. Even without doing a ceremony in church, its going to cost us about $1000 for that whopping 20 minutes.

Yeah, luckily I have a good friend who's Dad is a Pastor. I am going to ask him to officiate the wedding, I assume he will say yes and probably do it for free (if he does I am going to give him a gift).

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, luckily I have a good friend who's Dad is a Pastor. I am going to ask him to officiate the wedding, I assume he will say yes and probably do it for free (if he does I am going to give him a gift).

One thing to be weary of.. One of my groomsmen is getting married around my date and his aunt is a pastor.. I was going to ask her, but right before I did she started sending him marriage "packets" and setting up pre-marital counseling. I know he's going to suck it up and do the whole church thing even though he doesn't want to, but I can't. It also felt very wrong asking a religious person to set aside their religion to marry me (even if they would do it).. For us, we don't want the J word used at all in the ceremony.. God is alright though. That and the fact my Fiancée has never been baptized at all, makes it difficult to do anything but a religion neutral ceremony.

Maybe your friends dad would be cool and do it outside of the church, but make sure he knows what he is getting into before the day arrives, you don't want to insult anyone.

FidgetyRat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 23, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Regnevelc posted:

In case he does want you to go through church-related counseling and it's not for you, look into having a friend do it through the Universal Life Church. Super easy, and that's what we're doing.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

zap actionsdower! posted:

In case he does want you to go through church-related counseling and it's not for you, look into having a friend do it through the Universal Life Church. Super easy, and that's what we're doing.

Be very careful with that. In some states, like mine (North Carolina), online ordainment is not recognized as valid. Some couples have had the validity of their marriage called into question by the court system because they had someone marry them who was ordained online.

I'm sure in other places it's not as strict, but you need to check out your local situation.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Can someone tell me about enhanced diamonds? I heard they can break?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Operatic Diva posted:

Can someone tell me about enhanced diamonds? I heard they can break?

Any diamond can break :downs:

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl

FidgetyRat posted:

Any diamond can break :downs:

No I mean extremely easy... i mean if you accidentally hit it against something in a way that isn't that hard.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
Any Canadians ordered from bluenile? What are the taxes/duties/shipping etc like?

edit: and anyone have a link to a site that has a good selection of engagement ring designs? All google comes up with are retailers, I was looking more for design ideas.

roop fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 24, 2009

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
No, not really. An enhanced diamond is one that is either heat treated to improve the color and clarity (HPHT treatment), or has black inclusions laser drilled out and the cavities refilled with a material that has a refractive index similar to diamond (Fracture Filled). They're very durable, and even untreated diamonds will chip if struck at the proper angle.

The only caveat is that if you are using a fracture filled diamond you have to alert the jeweler any time there is work done on the piece. A hot torch can liquefy the filling and the diamond will have to be retreated.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Does anyone have a suggestion for some place to buy kits of blank wedding invitations? I'm looking for something that has the invitations, envelopes, possibly place cards, etc all blank for a reasonable price..

I finished my design and we're going to need to print soon.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

FidgetyRat posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for some place to buy kits of blank wedding invitations? I'm looking for something that has the invitations, envelopes, possibly place cards, etc all blank for a reasonable price..

I got a ton of card stock to print my invitations on at Michael's Arts and Crafts for really cheap. They also sold enveloped and place cards, but I found envelopes for less at Office Depot.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Emilar posted:

I got a ton of card stock to print my invitations on at Michael's Arts and Crafts for really cheap. They also sold enveloped and place cards, but I found envelopes for less at Office Depot.

This is probably what I'm going to do, and maybe buy a paper cutter (though I think my dad has one) to be sure the edges are straight. I saw the invitations a friend of mine made since she's getting married at dad's house too, and they looked really great for making them with a printer. I think she ended up spending $150 total to make and mail out about 300 invitations.

Just be sure you have access to a pretty decent printer and you're good to go. You can even do some cool stuff with vellum.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

FidgetyRat posted:

Invitation Kits

Staples has these. They come with cards and that printable vellum as well. They are pretty nice for a kit type thing, and it looks like there are a ton of ways you can do them up so it won't look like they were a DIY thing from premade parts. just search "wedding invitation" on staples.com and there's a bunch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Be very careful with that. In some states, like mine (North Carolina), online ordainment is not recognized as valid. Some couples have had the validity of their marriage called into question by the court system because they had someone marry them who was ordained online.

I'm sure in other places it's not as strict, but you need to check out your local situation.

Register your marriage at city hall the day before, and then it doesn't matter who does the ceremony. Here in Japan religious ceremonies are separate from the legal paperwork... you can even go to city hall on different days if your work schedules don't match.
Our ceremony is a month after our registration/living together because of vacation timing. Family from Japan and family from the US are meeting halfway in Hawaii.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Hobby stores like Michaels and Jo-Anns almost always have some sort of sale going on. Every week there's at least one 40% off a non-sale item, and frequently whole sections get 30-40% sales. Check out their ads if you can, I'm pretty sure Joann's got a sale on stationary through the first week of March.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Yeah, never buy anything at Michael's at full price. They have coupons in the fliers they send out, their weekly newsletters, and magazines - at least Martha Stewart Weddings always seems to have one. And they often have great sales, too.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

FidgetyRat posted:

I got my invitation kits from Target. They also have kits at Wal-Mart, office supply stores & craft stores. If you want blank card stock, here are some online resources:

http://www.paper-source.com/
http://www.paperandmore.com/
http://cardsandpockets.com/

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

FidgetyRat posted:

Maybe your friends dad would be cool and do it outside of the church, but make sure he knows what he is getting into before the day arrives, you don't want to insult anyone.

He married his son outside of a church. I believe in God, so all of that will be present at my wedding, but I currently do not belong to a church and I feel it is wrong to be married in a church that I do not belong too.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Religion is one thing that worries me a bit about our wedding. I was raised Catholic, but mostly consider myself agnostic these days. She's one of the Christian variations (Protestant, I think?), but isn't really practicing at the moment. Further complicating matters is the fact that her mother is a recently ordained preacher and I think she just assumes that she'll be the one to marry us (which neither of us want).

Personally, I'll go along with any ceremony my soon-to-be wife wants, since I'm pretty open-minded about that. I know she's said she doesn't want it to be a terribly religious ceremony, keeping scripture to a minimum (if at all) along with all of the capitalized names. I don't think it's possible to tell her mother that we don't want her to perform the ceremony without really hurting her, but it's that or have a ceremony we won't like, so we're going to have to make the hard choice eventually.

Personally, I'd be cool with the following ceremony:
Do you? <yes>
Do you? <yes>
Married!

<go eat cake and party>

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

While it doesn't help your mother situation, there are services out there that are groups of actual ordained preachers from tons of different religions that will perform religion-free ceremonies (or with religion if you want). Some of the options bring in different traditions of different religions, some with candle ceremonies, different vows, etc..

These are cool because even though they may be actual priests, they are part of the groups and will cater the ceremony to whatever level of religion or tradition you want which is really cool.

These are also good for mixed-religious ceremonies where say a Jew and a Christian are married, traditions from both faiths can be done (or even having a Rabbi and a Pastor) at the same time.

In my case, I was raised Catholic, but am no longer of any religion. We *could* have gotten married in a church but I absolutely don't want to, and the last thing I want to do is ask permission of a bishop to marry my heathen wife. Personally, no man but her father could give that kind of permission.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I'm sure this has been discussed before but...

My brother and his fiancée are planning on getting married next spring. They don't have a lot of money, and they haven't even picked what state it will be in yet. What are good resources for planning a nice wedding on the cheap? They are kind of "offbeat" so I will suggest offbeat bride and indiebride. What similar sites are there?

I'd be especially glad to hear about books that would help, because I'd like to make it a gift.

brc64 posted:

I don't think it's possible to tell her mother that we don't want her to perform the ceremony without really hurting her, but it's that or have a ceremony we won't like, so we're going to have to make the hard choice eventually.

Maybe you could phrase it in terms of wanting her to enjoy her day as mother of the bride, getting to watch her little girl get married, free to tear up if necessary, etc.? Depends on how crazy she is. You should probably tell her sooner rather than later though if you think she's really sure of doing it and looking forward to it.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 25, 2009

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
frugalbride.com is another good one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

brc64 posted:

Personally, I'd be cool with the following ceremony:
Do you? <yes>
Do you? <yes>
Married!

<go eat cake and party>

There's no good way to avoid the minister mother-in-law. ELOOOOOPPPPE secretly and have a party and reveal that you were married out-of-state two days before. From a parent's point-of-view, eloping is better than "living in sin."
I'm really excited about our wedding dude/location/circumstance! :3: http://www.hawaiiweddings.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
People think you have to be tacky to get married in Vegas, but some of the hotels are amazingly reasonably priced for what they offer, it takes soooooo much stress away from it, and there is something for everyone there.

For our wedding I'm walking down the aisle to 'Blackbird' by the Beatles played by a live guitarist, we have traditional attire for the chapel (except he is wearing a suit and not a tux). Its broadcast live online, we get a DVD, ton of pictures, two nights in a big suite, wine and cheese each day, champagne breakfast (except I can't drink it, pregnant!), a basket of gifts (garter, etc) to take home, all of the flowers, etc. etc. A bunch of family and friends are coming along.

I looked at nearly every venue I could find online. If anyone has any questions, just ask.