Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

gently caress

FUUUUUUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

mutt2jeff posted:

I could be that since Husky, KTM, and Aprilia have got such strong supermoto offerings that the Japanese dont think they can get into the market in the 450+ arena. If only I didn't have such a hate/hate relationship with the local KTM/husky dealer, I would go ride some. Fortunately, they lost the Aprilia brand, so I just need to make time to go to the new dealer and ride one.

Edit: Just for comparison, the KTM SMR 450 weighs in at 246 or so pounds, while the Yamaha 250 is dead nuts on 300. WTF is up with that? Where the hell does the yamaha gain 50+ extra pounds, while have a smaller engine?

I don't see a KTM 450 SMR on their US website for 2009 so it must not be in that great of demand. The wr250x does miss the mark for sure, I have no idea what they were thinking. That said, you slap on a starter, battery, lights, and probably additional emissions gear and that weight can add up.

Asking for a CRF450 in supermoto form and expecting it to be streetable is just silly. The motors have something like a 5 hour interval on their oil changes and valves are every 20 hours or so. I don't think it's just a matter of detuning the motor either. When your design principle is to build a race engine for motoX bikes you can't just easily change things so people can get reasonable maintenance intervals for street riding.

Probably the best compromise out there is to find a DRZ400 - non street legal version, plate it, and then convert it to supermoto. Wanting a 250lb 60hp supermoto is really just a pipe dream unless you want to live with a very high maintenance race bike. A bit silly for commuting. I do think that if there were major market demands for supermotos with these specs you'd see manufacturers stepping in with light, higher displacement motors that can balance the power with the maintenance requirements. Unforuntately, I don't think you'll ever see supermotos go beyond much of a niche product.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Phy posted:

Gnomad posted:

gently caress

FUUUUUUCK

:suicide:

At least Canada gets a few cool models that the US doesn't, even if they're only sold here as a test market.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

n8r posted:

I don't see a KTM 450 SMR on their US website for 2009 so it must not be in that great of demand. The wr250x does miss the mark for sure, I have no idea what they were thinking. That said, you slap on a starter, battery, lights, and probably additional emissions gear and that weight can add up.

Asking for a CRF450 in supermoto form and expecting it to be streetable is just silly. The motors have something like a 5 hour interval on their oil changes and valves are every 20 hours or so. I don't think it's just a matter of detuning the motor either. When your design principle is to build a race engine for motoX bikes you can't just easily change things so people can get reasonable maintenance intervals for street riding.

Probably the best compromise out there is to find a DRZ400 - non street legal version, plate it, and then convert it to supermoto. Wanting a 250lb 60hp supermoto is really just a pipe dream unless you want to live with a very high maintenance race bike. A bit silly for commuting. I do think that if there were major market demands for supermotos with these specs you'd see manufacturers stepping in with light, higher displacement motors that can balance the power with the maintenance requirements. Unforuntately, I don't think you'll ever see supermotos go beyond much of a niche product.

I didn't ask for a CRF450, I asked for a WR450. As it is, that motor has a 600 mile oil change interval. Slap an oil cooler on there that lets you put another liter of oil in, and you can have 1000 miles changes no problem, and valve checks are easy and infrequent on WR's. There is a significant difference between motocross engines like the CRF or YZ450's and the WR and other offroad engines. Not as powerfull, but better life and maintenance intervals.

I am not asking for a practical bike, these are solely a streetable toy. If you want to commute on it go for it, but thats not the main market for these bikes. Obviously commuters dont give a poo poo about supermotos, given the lackluster sales of the WR250X. There is a market for these bikes, the the European companies have obviously got it locked down pat, KTM, Husky, and Aprilia. I wasn't complaining that there are no bikes that I want out there, I was whining about how the Japanese obviously dont get it.

And the KTM SMR is right under the Supermoto section. http://ktm.com/450-SMR.39.0.html

The Husky 450r (weighs in at 260 lbs, dont tell me that it cant be done, because it obviously can.)
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_ver.aspx?IdVer=38&rpstry=198_

And the Aprilia SXV 4.5
http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/offroad/modello.asp?id=111

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have a friend who owned a SXV...teeth problems is an understatement. That bike spent half of it's life in the shop. It was a wonderful bike for the rest of the time, just absolutely absurd, but the maintenence schedule was deadly and the bike never worked right due to manufactering problems.

He also had a DRZ400SM with the baseline mods (carbs, etc) and it was great. I'd take one of those in a heartbeat.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Was it a first gen? the first gens are widely regarded as having horrible engines. Supposedly they are significantly better now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mutt2jeff posted:

Was it a first gen? the first gens are widely regarded as having horrible engines. Supposedly they are significantly better now.

It was a first gen that had the cases redone with the correct sealent (supposedly) but he still had problems with it even after that, and it went back into the shop. When he finally got it back, the honeymoon was over and he sold it. To buy his 3rd DRZ400SM.

Yeah, he's got a sickness.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Does he just buy them and run them for a year, until the new MY (shinier, prettier colours) comes out? Or does he just somehow manage to put enough wear and tear on it that he goes through a bike that quickly?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Does he just buy them and run them for a year, until the new MY (shinier, prettier colours) comes out? Or does he just somehow manage to put enough wear and tear on it that he goes through a bike that quickly?

He's well off and a chronic buyer/seller. He'll buy something, mod it for awhile, ride it for awhile, and then sell it, only to buy something new later. All of his bikes are mint. AFAIK, he's owned 2 RC51s, 3 DRZ SMs, a SV street and an SV racebike, a number of ducatis (748, 916), an assortment of SMs (aprilia SXV, Huskys). He likes the oddball stuff and exotica.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 21, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, if you put an FCR carb, cam, full exhaust and different gearing on a DRZSM, its about as much as anyone would need out of a supermoto on the street. Still not quite 450 motocrosser territory, but enough to keep pretty much anyone happy.

Plus you still get the easy maintenance.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

To be fair, if you put an FCR carb, cam, full exhaust and different gearing on a DRZSM, its about as much as anyone would need out of a supermoto on the street. Still not quite 450 motocrosser territory, but enough to keep pretty much anyone happy.

That's my endgoal for a sumo, although I'm torn between that and finding some older motocrosser that's not street legal and just using it at the supermoto tracks.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I posted a while ago about the bike i'm working on- a 1981 Yamaha XT250, and how it didn't run when i bought it. I knew I wasn't getting any spark so i replaced the plug, went over the entire wiring set hoping that it was just a broken connection or something, and tested all the wiring and the coil for continuity. Everything seemed fine, but whatever I did I just couldn't start it, even by push.

So like an Idiot i finally remembered to replace the gas in the tank with fresh stuff, and it push started fine and ran fine enough, just really hot due to little oil.

So since I'm not getting spark, and all the wires are totally fine, with what looks like a fine working coil and no killswitch shorts, what should I be checking here?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
There's something missing here. if it ran.. it had spark.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

There's something missing here. if it ran.. it had spark.

Sorry- Theres no spark if I kickstart it. Push starting it, it runs fine.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Chill_Bebop posted:

So since I'm not getting spark, and all the wires are totally fine, with what looks like a fine working coil and no killswitch shorts, what should I be checking here?

Battery has a charge?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

MrKatharsis posted:

Battery has a charge?

Yup. Fully charged, but I dunno if it would make a difference in it not starting after a kickstart. Theres no electric start on the bike, its too old.

I was wondering how someone tests a magneto.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I think you need Cerebro for that.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=82666
It's about lawnmowers, but it points out that if the Magneto is solid state, you cant really test it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Chill_Bebop posted:

Did idle once push started? I think you're blaming the wrong thing. I forgot, what sort of bike is it?

Magnetos are easy to test. CDI's aren't.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

Did idle once push started? I think you're blaming the wrong thing. I forgot, what sort of bike is it?

Magnetos are easy to test. CDI's aren't.

Once the bike is push started, everything runs and idles fine. It just wont do poo poo if I kickstart it.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh, and the bike is an 81 Yamaha XT250

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I hate to say this.. Everything points to a problem with the starter, not the bike.

Tell us the procedure you're using for kickstarting the bike?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

I hate to say this.. Everything points to a problem with the starter, not the bike.

Tell us the procedure you're using for kickstarting the bike?

Its usually a number of things or little changes, but Ignition on, Engine Switch on, Petcock on, Clutch in, In Neutral Gear, Kick, then kick many more times. Usually theres other things like Choke on or off, but I can try any variation and still not have it start. But the procedure I just listed is pretty much what I do.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well there's your problem. 4 strokes are little more complicated to get running than just "turn it on and boot like mad."

You want to gently push the kicker untill the motor comes up against compression, then reset the kicker. Then you can step through the kicker. You don't want to just "kick like hell" you want to give it a concentrated, firm, smooth kick.

Okey, embarrassment time. This is me, this is a 2 stroke. But it shows something of the proper method of kicking. Notice I don't just jump on the kicker. I push it against compression, then step through.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5593204124208604818&hl=en

This guy does it right too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ldqzqAdTwE&feature=related

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Man, that chick who says ok in your video has such a girly voice.

Chill, where are your eyes at while kicking? For some reason it seems to help if you look at the ground just in front of your tire as you step through.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man, I have THE WORST LUCK EVER with spark plugs.

Earlier last year I chased what I thought was an ignition issue around in circles on the RV90 only to find that it was a bad plug.

For the last few days I've been dredging the Bandit out of the garage and getting a head start on spring maintenance so it can be ready to ride when the weather gets nice.

I rejetted the carbs (new needles, springs, shims, mainjets and snorkel) and adjusted the valves.

When I got the carbs back on and put together, I went to start it up so I could balance the carbs. It ran OK for a bit, but then started getting stumbly and just progressively got worse until it stalled. A bit of investigation led me to the sparkplugs. I swapped out number four for a different plug I had laying around.

It tried to start, and popped and sputtered for a while, so I pulled the rest of the plugs out. Not one had spark, including the original that I swapped out. Not one.

I went to the hardware store, picked up some new NGK's and it started right up and ran great.

How can that even happen? How can it go from running fine in the fall to all plugs dead within 10 minutes of starting it up in the spring? Makes no sense at all.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Its usually a number of things or little changes, but Ignition on, Engine Switch on, Petcock on, Clutch in, In Neutral Gear, Kick, then kick many more times. Usually theres other things like Choke on or off, but I can try any variation and still not have it start. But the procedure I just listed is pretty much what I do.

If the clutch is in, the motor isn't spinning when you kick I don't think? On all my old Hondas it was like that at least. Try kicking it leaving the clutch alone.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I had similar sorta starting problems with my project XT250. I had good spark, maybe too good, the kickback was really ugly, in fact I think it broke something internally as the kickstart lever will sometimes jam up solid.
I got so disgusted with it that I rolled it outside. The ground thawedm the bike fell over and is now frozen to the ground and I can hardly be bothered to care at this point.

I actually very tempted to call up the local small engine class at the Tech high school and have them come get it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Squids. The lot of them.

Darien Lake MotoCoaster.

It's almost as good as the Pony Express ride at Knotts. Which is god drat hilarious to watch.

I guess it's a USPS outing or something.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Gnomad posted:

I had similar sorta starting problems with my project XT250. I had good spark, maybe too good, the kickback was really ugly, in fact I think it broke something internally as the kickstart lever will sometimes jam up solid.
I got so disgusted with it that I rolled it outside. The ground thawedm the bike fell over and is now frozen to the ground and I can hardly be bothered to care at this point.

I actually very tempted to call up the local small engine class at the Tech high school and have them come get it.

Thank god im not at that point.

Bugdrvr posted:

If the clutch is in, the motor isn't spinning when you kick I don't think? On all my old Hondas it was like that at least. Try kicking it leaving the clutch alone.

The motor will spin fine w/compression, but no spark from what I can see.

Nerobro: I'll give it a try. Every time I've tried kicking it before I've alternated between just giving it a few firm, followed through kicks and then other things when it doesn't start.

I'll give these all a try, and would love any more suggestions. You've all been super helpful.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd check that you're not getting some sort of ignition lockout somewhere. Only getting spark when you push start it sounds supiciously like a kickstand lockout having issues.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Also you generally don't want to pump the throttle on a 4t bike. Shut throttle is the way to go. At least w/ the newer 4T motocross bikes. Also you should be able to start it with the clutch in, but generally bikes are easier to start in neutral with the clutch out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That du pont teflon lube is drat hard to find. They didn't have it at Home Depot. Lowes had the grease version.

The website says ACE might have it. So I'm going to stop by there and if not order it online. I was able to get kerosene at Lowes but home depot didn't have that either.

Also, I just got my bike registered and realized it said "Not actual mileage." I'm gonna give the previous owner the call. What it had on the title was about 7k and the bike is at 8.5k miles now. So I'm not sure if the odometer stopped working, the engine was replaced, or what. It runs and looks fine though. The odometer and trip are working perfectly fine as well.

-edit - If anyone is wondering I got the du pont spray/lube from ACE hardware. Last one they had.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 26, 2009

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Christoff posted:

Also, I just got my bike registered and realized it said "Not actual mileage." I'm gonna give the previous owner the call. What it had on the title was about 7k and the bike is at 8.5k miles now. So I'm not sure if the odometer stopped working, the engine was replaced, or what. It runs and looks fine though. The odometer and trip are working perfectly fine as well.

That commonly happens when the speedo/odo gets replaced because of instrument failure or smashy smashy.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Christoff posted:

Darien Lake MotoCoaster.

I love rollercoasters and I've been meaning to take a trip up there seeing as it's only a few hours away. Did you go or just posting that it exists?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That commonly happens when the speedo/odo gets replaced because of instrument failure or smashy smashy.

Well, that sucks. I'm getting a carfax now. The bike is straight and it all looks stock. But who knows.

shaitan posted:

I love rollercoasters and I've been meaning to take a trip up there seeing as it's only a few hours away. Did you go or just posting that it exists?

Just a copy/paste

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm test-ridden a stock DRZ-SM and it was a blast, though a bit underpowered. Without looking it up, I'd put it at 30-35hp.

Whats an FCR, yoshi pipe, airbox mod, and jet give it? How about that baseline and then cam?

Was definitely going to be my next bike, until I came across my sweet '78 GS1000. I'll have to get some pictures of that up soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of, I never treated the gas and only rode sparingly this winter -- now it won't start and I'm moving in 3 days. Are there any quick and easies I can do to get it into limp mode to move about a mile? Alcohol drier in to gas, octane booster?

Can I hook a car battery and just keep turning it over -- will this pass the crap gas from the bowls?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's only been sitting for 2-3 months and ran fine before that, I bet some sweet battery charging is all that's needed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got a little tip after fiddling with earplugs today. I like listening to music while riding long distance and I appreciate the benefits of hearing protection from wind noise. I have in-ear type plugs from Sony Ericsson which dampen the noise ok but they don't sit well in my ears. A little tug on the cable will pull one out and I have to stop, remove the helmet and so on to put it back in.

So what I did was basically take a normal foam plug and cut it with a sharp knife at the thick end so it's slightly longer than the normal plastic plug element. Then poke a hole with a nail and jiggle it about a bit so it expands. Then simply push the plug element through so the foam piece sits like the normal plastic element. Squeeze it flat, put it in ear like a normal foam plug, wait for it to expand and presto. Sits much tighter, blocks a tad more noise, music is perfectly clear.

There's some debate if it's safe to ride while listening to music, I think it definitely takes some of the situational awareness away. I'll keep this to low traffic, long haul use.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Ola posted:

If it's only been sitting for 2-3 months and ran fine before that, I bet some sweet battery charging is all that's needed.

I wish that's all it was, but the battery was fresh from my tender and warm closet. Let me crank and crank crank before I killed it. Full choke, half choke, no throttle and modulating the throttle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Try draining the float bowls (there should be a drain screw on the bottom of the carbs) and adding as much new gas as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are goons doing deals gap again this year? I'm actually close enough to go now.