Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Akur0 posted:

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either
This is the best argument for picks :smug:

quote:

I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.
Yeah, but it will sound different. Using scuz's example, you're not going to want to go all Victor Wooten in a punk song to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Bullshit you can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV10D9Mp7_8

Educate yoself foo' :hehe:

(if you can't tell, he's holding the pick between his fingers)

Quoted for new page because it is loving awesome and refutes the argument that you can't slap w/ a pick :D

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Quoted for new page because it is loving awesome and refutes the argument that you can't slap w/ a pick :D

yeah but still I consider pick bass to be completely oxymoron.

*edit*

yeah one guy is talented but why waste time trying to learn how to pick and slap when you can just play a bass *in the way I belive it should be played* with your fingers. Leave picks to electric guitarists.

*second edit*

besides name one recognized great that exclusively uses a pick that matches the skill of Wooten or Matt Garrison

Munoma fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

yeah but still I consider pick bass to be completely oxymoron.

*edit*

yeah one guy is talented but why waste time trying to learn how to pick and slap when you can just play a bass *in the way I belive it should be played* with your fingers. Leave picks to electric guitarists.

*second edit*

besides name one recognized great that exclusively uses a pick that matches the skill of Wooten or Matt Garrison

Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, John Entwhistle.

Why did you put in the word "exclusively?" Was it because you already thought of people who used picks that were great players but wanted to try and exclude them because they also used their fingers and other techniques as well; thus trying to prove your point?

You need to realize that pick/plectrum/whatever is just a tool. It is used to gain certain tones that are not attainable via fingers. If you put a stigma on playing bass with a pick, then you have a lot to learn.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 14, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, John Entwhistle.

Why did you put in the word "exclusively?" Was it because you already thought of people who used picks that were great players but wanted to try and exclude them because they also used their fingers and other techniques as well?

You need to realize that pick/plectrum/whatever is just a tool. It is used to gain certain tones that are not attainable via fingers. If you put a stigma on playing bass with a pick, then you have a lot to learn.

I just have a bias against a pick, If I wanted to use a pick I'd pick up an electric guitar. My stepdad plays guitar and I wanted to deviate from him in being a musician.

Most of the great greats, I.E Jaco, Wooten, Matt ect can't be touched by the guys you listed but it doesn't change the fact that they are accomplished musicians.

I associate a bass player with the fact that he/she stays away from pick, if he wants to use a pick he should pick up a guitar. I apologize for not agreeing with you but I'll have to stand on my bias and agree to disagree.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf covered the rest, I just wanted to point out that this doesn't even make sense:

Akur0 posted:

I consider pick bass to be completely oxymoron.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Like I said it's just my opinion I apologize if it may seem I'm being arrogant but I think bass players shouldn't rely on picking or use picks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Most of the great greats, I.E Jaco, Wooten, Matt ect can't be touched by the guys you listed but it doesn't change the fact that they are accomplished musicians.

I am now convinced you are mentally handicapped if you don't think Paul loving McCartney and John Entwhistle are on the same level as the guys who would not even exist as musicians if it were not for them.

Here's a thought. Matt Garrison is a big proponent of ramps. I personally see them as a crutch. I've never had a problem keeping up my finger speed and not digging far under my strings w/o the use of a ramp.

Therefore Matt Garrison is an inferior bassist.

See where I'm going here?

edit: ^^^ Not arrogant, just extremely ignorant.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Not really but I did admit that I have a bias and I didn't insult you nor need a reason to be insulted.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Not really but I did admit that I have a bias and I didn't insult you nor need a reason to be insulted.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to get personal, so I apologize for that. This instrument isn't just a hobby of mine, it's a passion. And I just think you need to open your mind a LOT in terms of the fundamental roots of the instrument and its techniques.

There is MUCH more to the world of bass than the technical wank-fests of Wooten and Jaco.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Akur0 posted:

My stepdad plays guitar and I wanted to deviate from him in being a musician.
daddy issues ITT

Also: http://www.fretlessbass.com/WootenVictorInterview-01.html

quote:

11. FB: What playing styles do you use - finger, thumb, or pick (or other)? What do you like about those styles?
Victor Wooten: Thumb, fingers, pick, tapping, each style offers me a different sound and a different feel so, I make sure that I am comfortable using as many different techniques as I can.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to get personal, so I apologize for that. This instrument isn't just a hobby of mine, it's a passion. And I just think you need to open your mind a LOT in terms of the fundamental roots of the instrument and its techniques.

There is MUCH more to the world of bass than the technical wank-fests of Wooten and Jaco.

And I'm not saying that, I'm saying to me what seperates a bass player from a guitarist is how they play thier instrument and to me the biggest thing that sets them aside is the fact that ALL electric guitarists play with a pick and not ALL bass players play with a pick.

I am wrong in the fact that I could be more open minded but really I'd rather not because I want to seperate myself from joe blow, I don't want to hold a pick in the middle of my fingers and slap and pop I want to go all out and crazy without a pick altogether.

I will admit I am being closeminded but I am firmly admiting that I have a bias and I am stating that there is a reason to my bias, if you disagree I apologize but lord forgive me if I offend you over a simple opinion.

DrChu posted:

daddy issues ITT

Also: http://www.fretlessbass.com/WootenVictorInterview-01.html

*facepalm*

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Those who use a pick likely do so because they like the sound/feel it makes. Probably nothing more, nothing less. It's a tool just like anything else. If they have no interest in slapping or finger technique, why do it? Just like I have no interest in using a pick so I don't. Individual taste.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

And I'm not saying that, I'm saying to me what seperates a bass player from a guitarist is how they play thier instrument and to me the biggest thing that sets them aside is the fact that ALL electric guitarists play with a pick and not ALL bass players play with a pick.
Robby Krieger of the Doors finger picked on guitar. As did Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits as well as MANY more electric guitarists. I think what you need to realize is that what separates bass from guitar is the fundamental theory that one is melody driven, and the other is rhythmically driven.

quote:

I will admit I am being closeminded but I am firmly admiting that I have a bias and I am stating that there is a reason to my bias, if you disagree I apologize but lord forgive me if I offend you over a simple opinion.

I can appreciate a differing opinion. I just felt like it's an uninformed opinion. Hence me saying "ignorant." Which isn't necessarily an insult.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I would like to ask if we have no hard feelings then, I'm here to learn because I know for a fact that I'm not a master and my goal in hanging around here is to learn.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

I would like to ask if we have no hard feelings then, I'm here to learn because I know for a fact that I'm not a master and my goal in hanging around here is to learn.

Oh absolutely. I'm just very very passionate about this stuff. And I'm a debater by nature so.. yeah, I get a little heated :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
And I swear to god if anyone makes a "master debater" joke I'm going to loving lose it...

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
well in that last bit *while not nessacarily trying to earn the last word*

Please try to understand that you're not the only person here who's passion in life is music, I just happened to find playing a little later than you but I've loved music as long as I was nine.

I apologize again if I've irritated or offended you, but my goal *as funny as it may sound* is composing classical pieces in the future. I consider picking up an instrument to be meer baby steps in my future goals.

*edit*

And to show I'm a good sport, what are some good novice bass players that play pick that you could reccomend *study wise*. I'm acctually learning a song by a pick bassist at this current moment. Toshiya of Dir En Grey is a pick bassist, and I'm learning the song "Akuro no Oka".

Munoma fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

well in that last bit *while not nessacarily trying to earn the last word*

Please try to understand that you're not the only person here who's passion in life is music, I just happened to find playing a little later than you but I've loved music as long as I was nine.

I apologize again if I've irritated or offended you, but my goal *as funny as it may sound* is composing classical pieces in the future. I consider picking up an instrument to be meer baby steps in my future goals.

*edit*

And to show I'm a good sport, what are some good novice bass players that play pick that you could reccomend *study wise*. I'm acctually learning a song by a pick bassist at this current moment. Toshiya of Dir En Grey is a pick bassist, and I'm learning the song "Akuro no Oka".

Novice? I couldn't really tell you. I wouldn't really call him novice, but Gene Simmons of Kiss maybe? His lines are pretty easy to follow.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Novice? I couldn't really tell you. I wouldn't really call him novice, but Gene Simmons of Kiss maybe? His lines are pretty easy to follow.

Thank you. And again I'm truly sorry if I've given you the wrong impression to the message I was trying to present due to either my ignorance or lack of delivery.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

Thank you. And again I'm truly sorry if I've given you the wrong impression to the message I was trying to present due to either my ignorance or lack of delivery.

No harm no foul man.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
An electric bass IS an electric guitar, by the way. Electric Bass Guitar is the full name of the instrument. That really bothered me when I was reading the last few pages.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dundee McFluffers posted:

I have trouble making my middle finger move independently of my index finger. I have the same problem on my fretting hand :c
No problem! That book will definitely help out if used as directed in the book. Start everything really slowly and work your way up.

Akur0 posted:

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

four finger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig3yw5XqQ0

double thumb *for those who don't know perhaps*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM
1.) Slapping is for hippies
2.) I am no hippie

See what I'm doing here? I'm deliberately avoiding making any sort of point because this is a really retarded argument. edit: Seems I've missed the argument, though :( Also your *i believe it should be played* post made my head blow-up.

scuz fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 14, 2009

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Akur0 posted:

Paul Simonon! Most of the stuff he played was written by Mick Jones and manages to hit the tightrope between being simple enough for Simonon to pick it up quickly while being somewhat interesting. They also tend to have one or two basic ideas that, once you get what's going on, makes understanding the line very easy. Have a bash at these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gextdm4r7UU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6UTZb-_vI

Went to the place where every white face is an invitation to robbery...

The "basic idea" for both of those basslines is that they're almost entirely based around major triads and once you get that it's pretty easy to work out what you should be playing without spending ages poring over tabs.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
You don't need to put your thumb over the neck to mute other strings while playing with a pick. You can mute with your fretting hand without using your thumb. Also you shouldn't necessarily be hitting other strings while playing aggresively with a pick. I know when I play with a pick I only get sound out of the string I want, although right now I can't really think of how I do it. I'm not sure if I mute with one hand or just make sure I'm only hitting one string, probably a combination of the two. Maybe later I'll go play with a pick and come back and explain how I do it, I don't play with a pick much these days so it's hard to visualize it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Mike Gordon really does get an awesome sound picking his bass. It's funny, if you're familiar with your Phishtory... He used to be exclusively a finger-picker, but Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead showed him the kinds of sounds he could get by using a pick (and this was also the time he started switching over to playing Modulus basses).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKh4dTYc8VQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7EB2NWJpMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjUR1ga5yM

I love that "plunk" sound :)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 14, 2009

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Just started playing bass after 7 years of guitar to fill a position in a mate's band. The long neck thing is really killing me - will I be laughed out of a gig for playing a short scale bass? Is it not the done thing? (I am also not very tall (5'9") and a normal bass neck looks a bit silly)

Also, I'm thinking of getting the reissued Danelectro 63 Short Scale bass which seems to have been getting really good (if limited) reviews. It's £200-£250 depending on who you ask:

Anyone got any opinions on this weird looking thing?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
A bass with a short scale neck is something nobody will really care about. I've heard musicians dig on each other for pretty stupid things (playing bass with a pick, using an extended range instrument, etc), but I've never heard anyone make fun of a short scale player. You should be fine.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Make sure you play before you but it. Danelectros are very 'unique' basses and don't really feel/play like most other basses. As far as getting a short scale it's not really a big deal, but at 5'9 you really shouldn't have any problems playing a regular bass. I mean poo poo I'm 5'6 and I get along just fine.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Many Gibson EB basses are short scale, and I don't think anyone would make fun of Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi or Allen Woody.

Nofehr
Sep 14, 2004
The Return of Noinche!
So i had to send my Carvin bass back to their headquarters in Cali because my neck was super warped and they said it was beyond repair, so they are giving me 20% of a new bass, and i was like gently caress that. So i guess now i'm considering something else, and I recently saw James Whiton who is a badass on a bass and uses an electric think body upright bass and I really want to play one.

I have been playing electric for 5 years and upright for 2 years, and the problem for me with upright was it's size and transportation.

How does the electric upright thin body feel when you play it? Awkward? How does it sound? Can I get a range of sounds like that of a traditional upright and something perhaps more electric sounding? What company should I get one from?

thank you.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I've been playing bass for the last year and a half with a focus on theory and ear training. I'm getting to a point where I can have a simple song learned within two or three listens but I have pretty much run through everything on my iTunes playlist.

Without this turning into an NMD "recommend me some bands" thread essentially I am looking for tunes and/or artists that are good for intermediate bass players to learn without looking at tabs. I listen to pretty much anything so any genre will do so long as I can look it up on YouTube or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pantsfish posted:

I've been playing bass for the last year and a half with a focus on theory and ear training. I'm getting to a point where I can have a simple song learned within two or three listens but I have pretty much run through everything on my iTunes playlist.

Without this turning into an NMD "recommend me some bands" thread essentially I am looking for tunes and/or artists that are good for intermediate bass players to learn without looking at tabs. I listen to pretty much anything so any genre will do so long as I can look it up on YouTube or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kind of a given but ever listen to The Who? Entwistle is a bass monster and songs like Wont Get Fooled Again are made by his bass.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

UkraineGirls posted:

Kind of a given but ever listen to The Who? Entwistle is a bass monster and songs like Wont Get Fooled Again are made by his bass.

Probably a little too much for me at this point. For record the last few things I've learned to the point of mastery (i.e. can make them sound ok at two or three places on the fretboard) are the "Spaceman" solo and the entirety of "Joy Ride" on the Killers' Day and Age album.

Edit: Actually, going back and listening to Won't Get Fooled Again, I don't think it will be challenging to the point of being impossible, just long. Thanks for the recommendation

pantsfish fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 8, 2009

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here's an idea - don't try to exactly duplicate what he's doing, that's a massive, impractical, boring ask. Just work out the absolute basics you need to make it sound roughly right, get comfortable with that, and then start adding bits and pieces over that base.

Oh, and here's something to listen to once you start thinking "hey, what I've got is pretty drat awesome!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4fVqlKWUw

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, if you're learning songs by cover it's not really necessary to learn them meticulously. Also unless you have real tabs or a good ear, don't expect internet tabs to be anywhere near 100% correct. Usually if you know scales reasonably well you can fix obvious fuckups.

If you're having trouble with a part also try moving things around on strings. A lot of times internet tabs will have the correct notes, but in a nonsensical place on the fretboard which makes it significantly harder than it needs to be to play.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZombiePeanut posted:

Yeah, if you're learning songs by cover it's not really necessary to learn them meticulously. Also unless you have real tabs or a good ear, don't expect internet tabs to be anywhere near 100% correct. Usually if you know scales reasonably well you can fix obvious fuckups.

If you're having trouble with a part also try moving things around on strings. A lot of times internet tabs will have the correct notes, but in a nonsensical place on the fretboard which makes it significantly harder than it needs to be to play.

Actually, for something as intricate as Entwhistle's stuff, I'd consider it an accomplishment to be able to play it note for note. It will also give you an insight as to how he (and other artists) construct their lines. You can find some cool, recurring aspect/theme and incorporate it into your own playing.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Scarf posted:

Actually, for something as intricate as Entwhistle's stuff, I'd consider it an accomplishment to be able to play it note for note. It will also give you an insight as to how he (and other artists) construct their lines. You can find some cool, recurring aspect/theme and incorporate it into your own playing.

True, but it's not really the best way to learn in general. Practicing your fundamentals and scales and stuff will seem to magically make you better at everything as you start to realize those same scale patterns in things you play.

Playing a lick in the minor scale will really only improve your playing with that lick. But just doing exercises in the minor scale will make you better at playing that lick by a good amount.

I used to spend a lot of time getting down solos and such to an intricate degree when I was starting playing guitar, and it would kind of work but it'd take a lot of practice and was pretty much a one-trick-pony thing. When I finally started taking it a bit more seriously and actually learning music theory and such, going back and playing that same stuff now is a breeze, even without having to practice much.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. I do try to take off on other people's stuff when I'm noodling around, but learning songs note-for-note without using any tabs has helped me learn how different shapes and combinations sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I have another question: Here in a few months I will be in the market for a five-string bass. I am eying a Fender J-Bass because I love the sound, but I'm not necessarily thrilled with the weight or the general look. Is there another brand with a similar sound? My price range will be from $600-$800, so buying used vs. new is another issue. Can anyone lend some insight?