Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Anacostia posted:

I've gotten the point where I can think of (or whatever) a sound in my head and transpose that onto the mechanical workings of a synth. I still have real trouble with making bass patches, however. I conceptually don't understand how artists get bass sounds that just gently caress your mind when you hear them. I know that's a sort of crappy description but I don't know how else to describe it. I feel as if my basses lack weight or they aren't "fat" enough.

Here's an example of what I mean. I apologize for the track (and youtube), it was just something that came on a couple minutes ago and is still fresh in my mind. Obviously this isn't the only sort of bass sound I'm trying to emulate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7o6gQmtMxU&feature=related

I realize this question is sort of abstract and vague but I would appreciate any help.

If it matters I use reason (thor) rewired into live.

And as a sort of unrelated postscript, my friend bought a voyager (rme) and it is getting here tomorrow. I've never played on an analog synth, am super excited.

e; Also, can anyone recommend another forum that has discussion similar to this thread? I find just reading about production helps me sometimes.

Sounds almost like a donk, but I could be way off here.
It's just that I associate the woody clicking sound in the beginning with a donk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Doesnt sound too far from a recording of someone actually playing a bass, if it is it's heavily eq'd and looped to be perfect.

Either way it's not that simple, they've layered the sound to emulate an actual bass as closely as possible with the slight click at the start and little slides at the end. Could just get browsing presets for your synths, find one (or two) close and adjust to fit/layer up.

To make your bass sound bigger look into selective eq'ing, sidechaining, making room for frequencies poo poo. It's very easy to output something lower than your speakers can play, so even though it's very quiet you're almost redlining and it's making your kicks sound weird.
I spent a few weeks just trying to get depth to bass because I knew it was a major flaw of mine. I cant really give you specifics with such a vague question though, it was 3 20 odd hour weeks of trial and error just on one area.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

cubicle gangster posted:

Doesnt sound too far from a recording of someone actually playing a bass, if it is it's heavily eq'd and looped to be perfect.

Either way it's not that simple, they've layered the sound to emulate an actual bass as closely as possible with the slight click at the start and little slides at the end. Could just get browsing presets for your synths, find one (or two) close and adjust to fit/layer up.

To make your bass sound bigger look into selective eq'ing, sidechaining, making room for frequencies poo poo. It's very easy to output something lower than your speakers can play, so even though it's very quiet you're almost redlining and it's making your kicks sound weird.
I spent a few weeks just trying to get depth to bass because I knew it was a major flaw of mine. I cant really give you specifics with such a vague question though, it was 3 20 odd hour weeks of trial and error just on one area.

Alright, practice makes perfect I guess. Thanks for the advice.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Anacostia posted:

Alright, practice makes perfect I guess. Thanks for the advice.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/make-and-mix-a-running-16th-note-bassline/

i dunno if that will help but there it is.

also, maybe try setting your synth to unison and maybe like 2-3 voices going or two oscillators and some detuning, then maybe saturate(overdrive) it some. i use ableton's analog to make basses and its absolutely wicked. if you have live and analog i would give it a try.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Deific Presence posted:

Wow, I never knew you could actually edit the sounds on the MicroKorg. Now it doesn't seem like it sucks quite as much.

Isn't that the whole point of a synth? I mean if you couldn't edit the presets and you were stuck with those that come from Kord, it would be more like a keyboard right? (although some keyboards have synth-like functions and the line between both is quite blurry at some I guess, my dad has a Roland keyboard that I recall could do some nice basses but you didn't have knobs so you couldn't play with the cutoff live or anything).

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

oredun posted:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/make-and-mix-a-running-16th-note-bassline/

i dunno if that will help but there it is.

also, maybe try setting your synth to unison and maybe like 2-3 voices going or two oscillators and some detuning, then maybe saturate(overdrive) it some. i use ableton's analog to make basses and its absolutely wicked. if you have live and analog i would give it a try.

I do, thanks for the link.

I just downloaded an ungodly amount of midi files for popular house/trance songs. I'm not going to lie, just seeing the midi of good (depending on your musical tastes)/complete songs laid out in front of me helps.

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2009

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Kai was taken posted:

I am having an rear end of a time making the SIMPLEST GODDAMN SOUND.
It's the lead from PPK - Resurrection

Basically sounds like a sine wave. The one that hits at 0:41.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPTgJbfJZ8

Someone help me out here. What the poo poo I can't get it to sound correct.

It sounds like a sine wave with some noise wave underneath it.

If you have Ableton's Operator, load up a sine wave and set the LFO to noise wave, the LFO Range to "H", and Rate: 50 Mod: 25%

Then throw on a bunch of reverb and delay and what have you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anacostia posted:

I do, thanks for the link.

I just downloaded an ungodly amount of midi files for popular house/trance songs. I'm not going to lie, just seeing the midi of good (depending on your musical tastes)/complete songs laid out in front of me helps.

I do this all the time when I'm trying to remake a sound. I pull the midi file of the instrument, then A/B what I make with the song.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Fog posted:

Sounds almost like a donk, but I could be way off here.
It's just that I associate the woody clicking sound in the beginning with a donk.

That's what it sounds like here, too (though I'm listening on laptop speakers for now).

Try layering your bass in Thor with a sample of a taiko or something. Layering's ridiculously effective to get sounds that a single synth would have a lot of trouble with, and it's (IMHO) an underrated tool.

You can't get this out of a single machine.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Alright I have a very basic question and I hope I didn't skip over an entire section on this. Let me start by saying I'm an amateur, I have no real musical aspirations other than having fun making stuff.

What I want to know is the difference between a drum machine, a sampler, an MPC pad and similar things. What I believe I'm looking for is something that can store samples, has pressure sensitive pads for those samples, options to play them into loops, and a few effects. I like those Akai MPC pads alot, but I don't know if that's above and beyond what I'm looking to do.

I have a synth hooked up to my macbook, I play around in garage band. It started as a way to get better at playing piano but I don't have a passion for that anymore. I've been intrigued by sampler pads for a while now, but don't really know what I'm looking for. I've poked around online a bit and stopped by Guitar Center a few times to play with what they have on display there, but I'm not sure what to get.

Admin Understudy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 26, 2009

wat combo
Jul 28, 2008
I covered Morning Mood.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56190382d3f188b9/

I think I have fixed all of the problems with it that I can find, so can anyone give me some feedback?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

I'm looking for a vst or something that lets me preview samples without loading them first, ala what you can do with Redrum in Reason. Any free stuff that does that? I'm using Reaper by the way.
You could just continue to use buzz :)

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2014

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Has anyone encountered this thing in Logic where a synth will 'gasp' like a note was pressed just before the start of a song that you're bouncing out to an MP3 file? I have no idea what's going on, but in a couple different instances I've got songs that are supposed to start with silence or straight drums and on top of it there's the tail-end of some random synth note/chord, as if there was a MIDI note for it before the start of the song. Any idea what's causing this?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

colonp posted:

Got too annoyed with it :( .. I might switch back to it if it gets better native midi support and sequencer.

Really missing Infector now though, that synth is awesome.

Its good enough for James Holden.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Are there any free plugins or anything I can use in Cubase 5 that have similar functionality to Dr. Rex or Halion 3?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Chipyy posted:

Are there any free plugins or anything I can use in Cubase 5 that have similar functionality to Dr. Rex or Halion 3?

http://tinyurl.com/d2roh9

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Admin Understudy posted:

Alright I have a very basic question and I hope I didn't skip over an entire section on this. Let me start by saying I'm an amateur, I have no real musical aspirations other than having fun making stuff.

What I want to know is the difference between a drum machine, a sampler, an MPC pad and similar things. What I believe I'm looking for is something that can store samples, has pressure sensitive pads for those samples, options to play them into loops, and a few effects. I like those Akai MPC pads alot, but I don't know if that's above and beyond what I'm looking to do.

I have a synth hooked up to my macbook, I play around in garage band. It started as a way to get better at playing piano but I don't have a passion for that anymore. I've been intrigued by sampler pads for a while now, but don't really know what I'm looking for. I've poked around online a bit and stopped by Guitar Center a few times to play with what they have on display there, but I'm not sure what to get.

You just need a trigger finger midi pad, or the akai equivalent. I would get the korg nanopad on the cheap and just midi it.

It is 50 bucks I think.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

KRFTSNGLZ posted:

Has anyone encountered this thing in Logic where a synth will 'gasp' like a note was pressed just before the start of a song that you're bouncing out to an MP3 file? I have no idea what's going on, but in a couple different instances I've got songs that are supposed to start with silence or straight drums and on top of it there's the tail-end of some random synth note/chord, as if there was a MIDI note for it before the start of the song. Any idea what's causing this?
Is your audio engine only set to run during playback? You're probably hearing the buffered sound from wherever you had it playing previously. Try setting your sound to 'always running' or just move the cursor a few bars after the end of the song and hit play to let the buffer play out before you encode your file.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

colonp posted:

I'm looking for a vst or something that lets me preview samples without loading them first, ala what you can do with Redrum in Reason. Any free stuff that does that? I'm using Reaper by the way.

Non-free VST: NI Battery
Non-free DAW with OOTB-support: Cubase

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Meatsplosion posted:

Is your audio engine only set to run during playback? You're probably hearing the buffered sound from wherever you had it playing previously. Try setting your sound to 'always running' or just move the cursor a few bars after the end of the song and hit play to let the buffer play out before you encode your file.

Ahh, that makes sense. I don't have much experience under the hood, but I'll take a look at this when I get home, thanks!

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

So I just upgraded from Cubase SX3 to Cubase 5.
I'm wondering how I can export .fxp-presets from a VST. The old way, where you click on the little disk and choose Export Preset, doesn't work anymore :(

e: Scratch that... I found you can right-click the preset and choose to view in explorer...
Which brings me to my next question: .vstpreset to .fxp anyone?

The Fog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 27, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
My favorite song recently has been Hostage - The Slave. You can listen to it on his myspace (it's not on Youtube).

Anyway, I have some questions about the drop on this song, which is one minute in. (something about the myspace player is messed up and the time gets all weird if you skip around)

First, how does he make that synth "roll" like that? I haven't been able to make anything close to that sound by myself. All I know is that there's some filter modulation and some sidechaining involved.

Second, how does he make it bounce that much? I've found ways to make it sound like that (for example, bit crushing the drums, make the drum hits themselves as short as possible, and make a punchy, loud bass drum and have no other sub bass) but I can't create anything as intense as that song. Any advice?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 28, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Altoidss posted:

First, how does he make that synth "roll" like that?
Portamento.

quote:

Any advice?
If all else fails throw a multiband compressor over the entire thing and see if that sticks.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yoozer posted:

Portamento.

I actually don't know if this is portamento. It doesn't have the absolute consistency or curve of your typical exponential time based porta. It almost sounds to me like he's midi controlling the pitch bend wheel, manually loving with the pitch bend wheel for one take and then looping, or the sound is a sampled waveform or short hit and he's doing pitch bends in the sample domain that don't match up exactly to an exponential portamento curve.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Pitch-bending would require a lot more work and precision, and these producers are lazy, which explains the same samples, the same sidechaining and the same square wave FLG bass all the time :v:

:suicide:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Well there is that!

Still doesn't sound like a typical portamento though.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Yoozer posted:

Pitch-bending would require a lot more work and precision, and these producers are lazy, which explains the same samples, the same sidechaining and the same square wave FLG bass all the time :v:

:suicide:

What's FLG?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPqA4slnbQ

"Fedde Le Grand" doesn't work outside of Yurp, like the US has Yaz and JXL because Yazoo already was taken and Junkie XL wouldn't sound right with Elvis.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
uh.. what?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I hear that loving square bass in every 3rd new banger. I like the resonant movement on the hats though.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Only someone who has dedicated as much time to electronic music as Yoozer could even utter a sentence packed with so much information, yet so confusing at the same time.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I've read that four times and I still have no idea.

cum in my meowth
Dec 30, 2005
:greencube:
yurp means europe

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stun runner posted:

I've read that four times and I still have no idea.

They've replaced the name "Fedde le Grand" with "FLG" for countries outside Europe to make it more marketable.

Junkie XL had to replace his name with "JXL" because Elvis' family didn't want the word "Junkie" to be in one title wiht "Elvis", because people might get crazy ideas.

Wikipedia posted:

... Yazoo renamed to Yaz for the US market because the name was already in use by a small American rock band

poo poo, I should've just stuck with "that overused loving sound everyone wants to loving imitate which drives me up the loving wall because it's 1) so goddamn easy and 2) so goddamn boring.

The chances that we'll ever get songs with more than 4 chords back are dropping every day, and we really have to kick the habit of lowpassfiltering everything to fill up 8 bars. Back in 1994 they didn't do that poo poo yet, and either songs got more boring or more exciting because there's only so much you can do.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
what chall think about this?

http://tindeck.com/listen/mvta

needs another part

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Yoozer posted:

Portamento.

Really? I wasn't talking about what it does when it changes notes, but the weird modulation that happens to it when it's holding a note.

EDIT: Trill rear end, I thought your song was good, but I don't necessarily think it needs a new part. I do think you should put in a really spacey break in there somewhere, though. It would be cool if at one point you just cut to all the weird background noise for a bit.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

The chances that we'll ever get songs with more than 4 chords back are dropping every day, and we really have to kick the habit of lowpassfiltering everything to fill up 8 bars. Back in 1994 they didn't do that poo poo yet, and either songs got more boring or more exciting because there's only so much you can do.
Actually, there's a pretty cool trend toward more melodic stuff in trance right now. The lovely stuff seems to be played out a little. Hopefully they'll get over the vocals too, but I'm not counting on it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

what chall think about this?

http://tindeck.com/listen/mvta

needs another part

It needs another part, and a little more variation, but man you got it. There is something in your work that is great. It's the treatment of the kick and drums, and the little vocoded drum pattern i think I hear.

• Locked thread