Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Reason is we bought them grey market and have no support on them. From a technical standpoint the chassis is fine, but we're seeing some seemingly random problems that spooked us regarding not having support on our equipment.

Putting a port mirror on a port to figure out why one device couldn't/seeming wasn't trying to connect to another device on the same subnet resolved the issue, twice.

Switch stopped routing all traffic for 10 minutes and had packet loss on switched traffic. Couldn't find any evidence that anything happened other then OSPF going and coming back.

Lost a fiber shelf and our vendors can't find the DFC we need to get it back up.

Got all sorts of alerts from my applications that seemed to indicate latency/out of order packets that resolved while we all said gently caress it and went to lunch.

This was all in the last 2 weeks on two of our core switches. The third has never given us an issue other then a Sup that failed hard and was replaced. Running Sup-720s with 3BCXs and maybe a total of 1-2Gbps of traffic so there shouldn't be any capacity issues.

The decision has come down to be between NetIron MLXs or BlackDiamond 12ks. Also got a quote back from Foundry and they gave us a pretty insane discount.

[edit]
Our traffic is 95% VoIP media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Put the chassis under Smartnet, and all modules inside are covered. Shouldn't have any issues doing that to my knowledge.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

gwon posted:

I started another thread and got pointed here

Any tips?

Most WAAS config is done from the central manager. So a installation basically is plug it in (either inline or with 1 leg for WCCP or layer2 redirect). And run the setup script which sets ip-addresses and tells it to contact the central manager.

Basically the box does compression and caching of data going through it. So it it detects data patterns it has seen before it can drop sending it out over the WAN and have the WAAS on the other end of the WAN spit it out to the LAN side.

It also acts as a transparent proxy for some protocols reducing problems with high RTT. (mapi, cifs, nfs, http/https)
Furthermore the new WAVE applicances also can do some virtualization and run Windows2008 on it, making it possible to have a virtualized print-server, AD, dhcp etc server on the remote site)

ior fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 26, 2009

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Just had an interesting problem. I wasn't getting ARP responses on a few devices, switch had entries for the IPs and after clearing entries they would re-populate so ARP seemed to be good from the switch to the device.

Tried failing over to the redundant sup and it didn't help. We were able to resolve the issue by kicking over the line cards with 'no power enable.' Very odd.

Also with with grey market equipment will the price of smartnet be roughly the cost of a new chassis? If so it's cost prohibitive when I can get a new switch from a competitor for < $75k.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FatCow posted:

Also with with grey market equipment will the price of smartnet be roughly the cost of a new chassis? If so it's cost prohibitive when I can get a new switch from a competitor for < $75k.

Not sure, I haven't done it awhile, I'll try to find some quotes or just call up CDW for a baseline quote on it.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

I never had to recertify any grey market equipment when we purchased through our usual smartnet reseller (SBC Datacom), so we just paid the going rate (maybe 5% discount or so) for coverage. Buy shelf spares for anything you need to fix immediately then get yourself some 8x5xNBD smartnet coverage (that's 8x5xNBD on advance replacements, not on TAC access) which'll get you TAC access, code updates and ability to RMA your modules after you swap it out with your shelf spare.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

FatCow posted:

Just had an interesting problem. I wasn't getting ARP responses on a few devices, switch had entries for the IPs and after clearing entries they would re-populate so ARP seemed to be good from the switch to the device.

Tried failing over to the redundant sup and it didn't help. We were able to resolve the issue by kicking over the line cards with 'no power enable.' Very odd.

Are you using DFCs on the linecards?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It seems I can no longer access Software Advisor or Upgrade Planner from my CCO login, can someone tell me what the latest IOS I can run that has SIP capabilities would be?

code:
cisco 1841 (revision 5.0) with 236544K/25600K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX0922W1KR
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
WIC T1-DSU
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)
If you need more information let me know, right now the box is running c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.123-8.T8.bin since that's what was on it when I pulled it out of a cupboard in my boss' garage. I'm just trying to learn IOS and Cisco gear in general, so I want the most features I can get my hands on as long as it can handle a (non-Cisco) SIP VoIP phone being used behind its NAT without issues.

edit: nevermind, by just randomly throwing an IOS image at it I've determined I can run anything ever released for 1841s.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 28, 2009

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

ior posted:

Are you using DFCs on the linecards?

Not on the ones we had to power cycle to fix.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

wolrah posted:

edit: nevermind, by just randomly throwing an IOS image at it I've determined I can run anything ever released for 1841s.

Yeah, as you've already discovered, you have a very stock 1841, and it should run any image you can find.

If all you're interested in is features, I'd just grab the latest 12.4T.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Hopefully this is within the scope of this thread:

In my work, a good while back, they were throwing out a lot of old bits and pieces. I managed to grab a few things before they went to the skip.

I picked up a 'Cisco Aironet 350 Wireless Lan Adapter'. When I plug it into my laptop at home, though, it won't connect to the internet. It can see my wireless router, but when I try and connect to it I get this error:

code:
---------------------------
Wireless Network Connection 3
Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may 
no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, 
and try to connect again.
OK   
I can connect fine, though, using my USB dongle. Is it just because this wireless adapter was only used within my companies building and wireless network, or is it possible to use it at home, and connect to the internet through my usual wireless router?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Yes, you can use the 350 at home. Other than being an older card, there's nothing really special about it as far as I know. WPA2 might not work however. If that's what you're running on the AP/router at home, that could be the issue. The data sheet mentions WPA but nothing about WPA2. Someone else here might have a better answer for you though.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6442/ps4555/ps448/product_data_sheet09186a0080088828.html

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Ah - that must be it. The routers running WPA2

Thanks a lot mate :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jwh posted:

Yeah, as you've already discovered, you have a very stock 1841, and it should run any image you can find.

If all you're interested in is features, I'd just grab the latest 12.4T.

That's what I ended up doing, I'm running the most loaded out 12.4T Cisco listed, i think advsecurity or something like that.

I'm used to 2600s, where I actually have to look at the hardware specs and sometimes play the "flash this and see if I need to recover from rommon" game. Having a box that's specced up enough that I don't have to think is a new experience.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I need to preface this that I have only really covered basic LAN switching and very basic WAN routing concepts (clearly) and need a wee bit of clarification.

I am looking at the following config:
code:
interface Serial0/1/0
 description BACKUP-T1-FROM-VERIZONn
 bandwidth 1536
 no ip address
 ip access-group RTR-FILTER in
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 load-interval 30
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial0/1/0.1 point-to-point
 bandwidth 1536
 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252
 frame-relay interface-dlci 500 IETF
It is really the subinterface of an interface without an IP that confuses me- otherwise this is basically a point to point over an internet t1?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Yeah it's fine. Frame relay is usually done that way. Different PVCs/DLCIs go on different subinterfaces. The access list on the physical interface is odd.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Scripting for Routers/Switches.

I've never done anything like this before but I was wondering how I would setup a script that I could run from the windows command line, that would connect to a switch and automatically execute some basic configuration.

Basically I want to connect to my switch and shutdown or bring up an interface, by just running a simple command. I use VNC to connect to the remote system and when I have that interface operational I've got torrents etc blasting away at full speed which cripples my VNC connection. So ideally I'd like to connect to the remote system run a file called "stop" and it would automatically disable the switch port and that would clear up my bandwidth. Then when I'm done I could run "go" and the port would be reenabled.

So what would be the best way to do that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add to your scripting question, but wouldn't this a perfect test case for QoS?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add to your scripting question, but wouldn't this a perfect test case for QoS?

It sure would, assuming my 851 wasn't software crippled :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang. What OS are you running? I suppose if you're running some sort of Unix-ish environment you could set up an expect script to telnet to and execute commands on the router. If it's Windows though, I'm not too sure :(

Bonne chance!

para
Nov 30, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Dang. What OS are you running? I suppose if you're running some sort of Unix-ish environment you could set up an expect script to telnet to and execute commands on the router. If it's Windows though, I'm not too sure :(

Bonne chance!
I believe cygwin comes with expect.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Powercrazy posted:

Scripting for Routers/Switches.

Take a look at clogin from RANCID (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I've been loving with MARS a lot over the last few days and it owns. You can get some really awesome reporting out of the box and it's easy to tune. I'm going to mess with adding custom devices later and see how that goes.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Powercrazy posted:

Basically I want to connect to my switch and shutdown or bring up an interface, by just running a simple command.
If you have an SNMP RW community set up, you can shut down interfaces via snmp. For the life of me I can't find a sample, but I know it can be done. With this, you could issue one command to shut or no shut an interface, as well as many other things. See the SNMP Object Navigator to find the correct OID for your device.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Here's a strange one I'm scratching my head with. I want to configure one of our 4507s to grab it's time via NTP from an outside time source. From there, I'll configure ntp on all my servers to pull from the 4507. Name resolution is up and working on the 4507.

When I enter the following command:

4507<config>#ntp server otc1.psu.edu source vlan 1

I receive the following error:

%ERROR: Standby doesn't support this command
% Incomplete command.

The switch has redundant supervisors, which I think standby is referring to. I can't find the error mentioned on cisco.com or as a plain google search.

Anyone have any ideas?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I don't really know, but is your redundant sup up and online correctly? no IOS mismatch between the active and the standby? Are you trying to configure on the standby directly, or are you getting that message after the primary tries to sync the configuration?

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I'm configuring it via telnet, so it just hits the active supervisor. The error occurs when I put the command in, not when I save the config, which in hindsight would probably mean the standby supervisor doesn't have anything to do with it.

Just for the hell of it, I just grabbed the IP for otc1.psu.edu and it allowed me to complete the command. I would think it would be able to resolve that hostname. The error I posted about wouldn't lead me to believe there's a resolution error.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well that's weird, whatever it is. I'm glad the IP works, though.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Just as an interesting FYI, the SMARTnet maintenance on a WCS installation licensed for 500 APs is actually more expensive than a four-hour replacement contract on a 6500.

And this is for SMARTnet on software only- not even the appliance.

Pretty ridiculous.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

FatCow posted:

Reason is we bought them grey market and have no support on them.

You can get a chassis for under $800 that is clean and will go back/is already on SMARTnet. I just bought 2 for $400 each (gray) so I'm obviously going the "stock your own parts" route. Smartnet should be just over $3k a year on an '09.

The market has crashed on these things. I speced out a 6509 with 2 PS, redundant maxed out SUP2/MSFC2, 2 48 port gige, 2 48 port 10/100 cards in November of last year. It was about $20. I just got that, with a NAM-2, plus a spare chassis and fan tray for $12k 2 weeks ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crossposting from the cert megathread:

I'd like to pick up a router with a FE port and I think the most economical is the 2620. Will I be kicking myself if I opt for the 2620 over the 2620XM? They both seem to have the same 1NM/2WIC slots. As far as I can gather the memory limitation of the non-XM model will prevent me from running 12.4 -- is that something that'll be important come CCNP time or what?

My FE requirement is for testing router-on-a-stick fyi. I'll pick up the XM if I can find a good price on one, but I'm in Canada so I'm trying to buy local and avoid border fees/international shipping rates/etc.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

944 posted:

You can get a chassis for under $800 that is clean and will go back/is already on SMARTnet. I just bought 2 for $400 each (gray) so I'm obviously going the "stock your own parts" route. Smartnet should be just over $3k a year on an '09.

The market has crashed on these things. I speced out a 6509 with 2 PS, redundant maxed out SUP2/MSFC2, 2 48 port gige, 2 48 port 10/100 cards in November of last year. It was about $20. I just got that, with a NAM-2, plus a spare chassis and fan tray for $12k 2 weeks ago.

The market dropped out on the sup2/msfc2 combo since it can't take full tables anymore unless you strip out some /24s or filter on RIR minimums, everyone who takes full tables on sup2/sup32 had to upgrade to the RSP/SUP720 with XL *FCs to continue taking full tables.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Crossposting from the cert megathread:

I'd like to pick up a router with a FE port and I think the most economical is the 2620. Will I be kicking myself if I opt for the 2620 over the 2620XM? They both seem to have the same 1NM/2WIC slots. As far as I can gather the memory limitation of the non-XM model will prevent me from running 12.4 -- is that something that'll be important come CCNP time or what?

My FE requirement is for testing router-on-a-stick fyi. I'll pick up the XM if I can find a good price on one, but I'm in Canada so I'm trying to buy local and avoid border fees/international shipping rates/etc.

Be aware of the IOS requirements for dot1q fast ethernet subinterfaces. I have a boatload of 2621s that don't have the RAM to support it, and that came as a big and disappointing surprise. XM is a more capable processor and I think they'll take more RAM, overall, but they're still expensive, as you've noticed.

As for CCNP, I can't answer that directly, but I think they're testing on 12.4 features now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jwh posted:

Be aware of the IOS requirements for dot1q fast ethernet subinterfaces.

I can't for the life of me find any reference to these requirements in Cisco's official 802.1Q documentation unless I'm just missing something.

Cisco posted:

Platforms

This feature is supported on these platforms:
•Cisco 2600 series

Thanks Cisco :downs:

The XMs aren't THAT much more expensive, but just pricey enough to the point where you have to make the decision between a third switch or a 12.4 capable router :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I can't for the life of me find any reference to these requirements in Cisco's official 802.1Q documentation unless I'm just missing something.
802.1q subinterface support showed up somewhere in 12.1, I think, and in the plus image. I could be wrong, so don't hold me to that. I have a bunch of very limited RAM 2621s that can't do it, and of that I'm sure.

Let me dig around tomorrow, and I'll see if I can't get some more answers for you.

Also, have you considered a 3640? They can run 12.4 code, so they're good bang for the buck, despite the higher cost.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

jwh posted:

Be aware of the IOS requirements for dot1q fast ethernet subinterfaces. I have a boatload of 2621s that don't have the RAM to support it, and that came as a big and disappointing surprise. XM is a more capable processor and I think they'll take more RAM, overall, but they're still expensive, as you've noticed.

As for CCNP, I can't answer that directly, but I think they're testing on 12.4 features now.

For what it's worth, I get my memory from this place. $28 plus 7$ shipping isn't that much of a crusher. It's hopefully the same shipping charge if you grab a few sets.

3rd Party Memory for 2600's

I have had no issues using the 3rd party with the 2621's, I use them at homes that have rack's in the basements for dmvpn, they run like a top.

I hope you get the same mileage.

jwh posted:

Also, have you considered a 3640? They can run 12.4 code, so they're good bang for the buck, despite the higher cost.

I got one of those from the junk pile. The NVRAM is bad so it has to boot and grab it's config from tftp. Still glad to have it.

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

ragzilla posted:

The market dropped out on the sup2/msfc2 combo since it can't take full tables anymore unless you strip out some /24s or filter on RIR minimums, everyone who takes full tables on sup2/sup32 had to upgrade to the RSP/SUP720 with XL *FCs to continue taking full tables.

Absolutely...I agree...but the rest of the stuff is ALSO dirt cheap. I'm only doing stubs, so I can take advantage of the $4k price difference that it would have been with dual 720s. I still think that's ridiculously cheap.

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

I have a quick question regarding IOS versions. Where can I find a changelog? Even if it's only one for major revisions say upgrading an ASA from 7.x to 8.x I'd love to see what features were implemented and the like.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ragzilla posted:

The market has dropped out on Sup2 because the things are end of life. SXF is going away soon too. So pretty soon you'll have no SW support.

Gray market vendors are trying to shove that poo poo out the door since they don't want to be stuck with them.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd800fd91f.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/eol_c51-500212.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd80646c9c.html

edit: added links to EoL announcements

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

reborn posted:

I have a quick question regarding IOS versions. Where can I find a changelog? Even if it's only one for major revisions say upgrading an ASA from 7.x to 8.x I'd love to see what features were implemented and the like.

You want to look at the release notes for the release (and everything back to the release you have a bug in) under the product support section. For the ASA 5500 series it's at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

However this will just list the bugid, and a brief description, if you need any more information you'll need to use the bug toolkit which requires a valid CCO login with a support contract.