Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
This just came up in the PKD thread and now it's bugging the poo poo out of me. A Dick short story, probably early but I cannot confirm this, in which he espouses the idea that paranoia is really just ESP and a paranoid is picking up the negative thoughts people have about him. No idea what the actual plot of the story is, although I have confirmed that it is not Retreat Syndrome.

VVV That sure sounds right, and until I can verify I'm willing to call it right, thanks.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

Ballsworthy posted:

This just came up in the PKD thread and now it's bugging the poo poo out of me. A Dick short story, probably early but I cannot confirm this, in which he espouses the idea that paranoia is really just ESP and a paranoid is picking up the negative thoughts people have about him. No idea what the actual plot of the story is, although I have confirmed that it is not Retreat Syndrome.

Was it Recall Mechanism from the Minority report Collection? If so Sweet, cause i was pissed that i was late to make the John Bellairs answer first. As i recall the basic plot was he has horrible fears of falling, goes to a hypno/psychaitrist who causes him to relive his memories only to discover his memories are of his future and someone will kill him that way.

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
Story I read in elementary school. Probably as assigned reading.

An adolescent boy and his sister have a younger adopted brother they refer to as "Sucker." The story opens with a description of how they convince him to attempt to fly off the roof of their house like Superman. I think he breaks his leg.

The plot is some afterschool-special-type cautionary tale, detailing how the main character gets a girlfriend, feels good about himself and starts to treat the adopted brother better as a result. Then the girl dumps the main character and he takes it out on the brother, driving them apart permanently. The story ends with adopted brother maturing into something of bully, hanging around with tough friends and exiling the main character from their shared room.

I want to say the story was called "Sucker" but Google and Amazon have nothing to offer.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~

King Plum the Nth posted:

OK, this is way to vague for me to expect an answer but I have to try. My elementary school library collection (c. 1985) had a trilogy (or, at least three books from series) of juvenile mystery novels. They were hardbacks of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew verity with wraparound cover art done all in purple tints. Probably from the 50's (early 60's at the latest) they were about the adventures of 3 children; there was an older (early teen) boy and girl and a small boy -- the younger brother of the girl, I think. The adventures were all New England-y; the one I remember most vividly took place on the coast with lighthouses and a cove that you could only enter at low tide. Proto The Goonies, sort of.

Christ, now I type it up that's even more than I thought. I've checked the children's section of every library and used bookstore I've ever been to without result though. Sucks when all you have to go on was "they were purple."

its possible you're think of Enid Blyton's "Adventure" series, although that featured 4 children rather than 3. The period and description of the dust jackets possibly fits though, and i vaguely remember something about a cave. Give it a shot I guess.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Fascist Funk posted:

Story I read in elementary school. Probably as assigned reading.

An adolescent boy and his sister have a younger adopted brother they refer to as "Sucker." The story opens with a description of how they convince him to attempt to fly off the roof of their house like Superman. I think he breaks his leg.

The plot is some afterschool-special-type cautionary tale, detailing how the main character gets a girlfriend, feels good about himself and starts to treat the adopted brother better as a result. Then the girl dumps the main character and he takes it out on the brother, driving them apart permanently. The story ends with adopted brother maturing into something of bully, hanging around with tough friends and exiling the main character from their shared room.

I want to say the story was called "Sucker" but Google and Amazon have nothing to offer.

I think it's a short story called "Sucker" by Carson McCullers. Let me see if I can find a book that contains it.

edit: Collected Stories of Carson McCullers, ISBN 0395925053 "Sucker" is the first story in the collection.

Noisycat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 10, 2009

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site

Khisareth posted:

I think it's a short story called "Sucker" by Carson McCullers. Let me see if I can find a book that contains it.

edit: Collected Stories of Carson McCullers, ISBN 0395925053 "Sucker" is the first story in the collection.

Carson "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" McCullers? Whoa.

And yep, that looks like the one. Thanks man.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I'm thinking of a kids/young-adult science fiction book. There are at least two characters, a boy and a girl. They travel around in space after hollowing out an asteroid and attaching a hydrogen scoop to it. At one point, they get stuck on a planet and have to hunt for survival. At first they use a ray-gun, but the boy goes a bit native and makes a bow and arrow to hunt with instead. There might have been other people on the planet too.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'm thinking of a kids/young-adult science fiction book. There are at least two characters, a boy and a girl. They travel around in space after hollowing out an asteroid and attaching a hydrogen scoop to it. At one point, they get stuck on a planet and have to hunt for survival. At first they use a ray-gun, but the boy goes a bit native and makes a bow and arrow to hunt with instead. There might have been other people on the planet too.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
The hollowed-out asteroid sounds like Nicholas Fisk's Starstormers series - were the kids called Vawn, Ispex, Tsu and Makenzi?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A book that I think was in a recommendation thread around here, but I don't remember which thread it was or if it was even a recommendation.

The basic plot synopsis is that a father was a writer in some capacity, but he mysterious vanished/died, leaving a son. However, it soon becomes apparent that the son may simply be a work of fiction. Does this ring a bell in anyone's head or did I just dream this up?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

GrandpaPants posted:

A book that I think was in a recommendation thread around here, but I don't remember which thread it was or if it was even a recommendation.

The basic plot synopsis is that a father was a writer in some capacity, but he mysterious vanished/died, leaving a son. However, it soon becomes apparent that the son may simply be a work of fiction. Does this ring a bell in anyone's head or did I just dream this up?

The Land of Laughs has a *kinda* similar premise, though it's not the same book unless the description got garbled or you're mis-remembering. in this the dead author has a daughter, who is real, but the town in which she lives and all its inhabitants is what is fictional, after the writer "retired" he spent the latter part of his life writing the town. However, time is running out as they come to the point he reached in his writings, and things are starting to go wrong. A young man comes to town with the intent of writing a biography of the late writer, and is caught up in various nastiness as the townspeople decide he is the one who can save them. It's kinda a contemporary fantasy/horror. Even if it's not right, it's a pretty good read.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Morlock posted:

The hollowed-out asteroid sounds like Nicholas Fisk's Starstormers series - were the kids called Vawn, Ispex, Tsu and Makenzi?
Hmm, those names don't seem familiar, but the one description I found via google seems like it could be it (I don't remember about an Octopus Emperor though).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fatkraken posted:

The Land of Laughs has a *kinda* similar premise, though it's not the same book unless the description got garbled or you're mis-remembering. in this the dead author has a daughter, who is real, but the town in which she lives and all its inhabitants is what is fictional, after the writer "retired" he spent the latter part of his life writing the town. However, time is running out as they come to the point he reached in his writings, and things are starting to go wrong. A young man comes to town with the intent of writing a biography of the late writer, and is caught up in various nastiness as the townspeople decide he is the one who can save them. It's kinda a contemporary fantasy/horror. Even if it's not right, it's a pretty good read.

Nah, it's not Land of Laughs. I don't remember the whole details, but I think the book was really focused on the fact that the main character begins to realize that he's a work of fiction written by his "father." I imagine it was sort of a Pinocchio story, but for the life of me I had no idea where I read the synopsis.

Thanks, though!

mania
Sep 9, 2004

King Plum the Nth posted:

OK, this is way to vague for me to expect an answer but I have to try. My elementary school library collection (c. 1985) had a trilogy (or, at least three books from series) of juvenile mystery novels. They were hardbacks of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew verity with wraparound cover art done all in purple tints. Probably from the 50's (early 60's at the latest) they were about the adventures of 3 children; there was an older (early teen) boy and girl and a small boy -- the younger brother of the girl, I think. The adventures were all New England-y; the one I remember most vividly took place on the coast with lighthouses and a cove that you could only enter at low tide. Proto The Goonies, sort of.

It may also have been one of the Famous Five. I vaguely remember a cave that was only accessible at low tide.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

mania posted:

It may also have been one of the Famous Five. I vaguely remember a cave that was only accessible at low tide.

They went to Cornwall in Five go down to the sea and have an adventure involving smugglers, illiterate retard kids, undercover cops and carnies.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Dead Alice posted:

They went to Cornwall in Five go down to the sea and have an adventure involving smugglers, illiterate retard kids, undercover cops and carnies.

There's also a lighthouse (and a cave/underwater tunnel) in Five Go To Demon's Rocks. I'm not sure it's a good or a bad thing that I can still remember most of the plots 25 years after I last read the books.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

mania posted:

They go to Kirrin Island a lot, which is owned by George (kinda). In one book - the one with the evil housekeeper - they pack up some supplies and run away to live on the island for a bit. That was always my favourite FF book.

Ugh Enid Blyton why must your formulaic and prissy books still occupy my headspace decades after I read them!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

They go to Kirrin Island a lot, which is owned by George (kinda). In one book - the one with the evil housekeeper - they pack up some supplies and run away to live on the island for a bit. That was always my favourite FF book.

Ugh Enid Blyton why must your formulaic and prissy books still occupy my headspace decades after I read them!

There is also one where they go stay with a friend who has a secret passage to a network of underground caverns in their toychest, and another (may be the same one?) in which a secret passage is blocked by a caravan in a nature reserve. The other ends of either could be underwater, I don't remember.

Precise
Apr 17, 2006
Mu
Trying to remember a book I read nearly 20 years ago. It's a thriller about a group of killers who are seemingly killing targets at random. It's not until the cop in charge of the investigation sees a traffic light and realizes each kill is based off a color and that they are using some kind of board game.

The only other thing I remember is that they take trophies from each kill, and that one of them is a rookie cop who they take the badge from.

If anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated.

oh uckfay
Apr 29, 2007
I'm looking for what I think was a short story. In the seventh grade one of my English teacher read it to us for Thanksgiving...

An abusive rear end in a top hat husband and his wife find this hole and begin communicating with these underground creatures. The wife throws a dictionary down the hole so that they can learn to communicate with her, and the creatures grasp the language almost immediately. She begins sharing food with them with a bucket she lowers into the hole. Eventually the creatures ask for turkey; they understand it to be the most delicious food.
Now, before this the husband has been described as being very turkey like in appearance (I have a hazy memory that his name was Calvin). So the story ends with the wife pushing her husband into the hole and the creatures returning a thank you letter for the delicious turkey.

It was a neat little story, hopefully someone else has heard it before.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

oh uckfay posted:

I'm looking for what I think was a short story. In the seventh grade one of my English teacher read it to us for Thanksgiving...

An abusive rear end in a top hat husband and his wife find this hole and begin communicating with these underground creatures. The wife throws a dictionary down the hole so that they can learn to communicate with her, and the creatures grasp the language almost immediately. She begins sharing food with them with a bucket she lowers into the hole. Eventually the creatures ask for turkey; they understand it to be the most delicious food.
Now, before this the husband has been described as being very turkey like in appearance (I have a hazy memory that his name was Calvin). So the story ends with the wife pushing her husband into the hole and the creatures returning a thank you letter for the delicious turkey.

It was a neat little story, hopefully someone else has heard it before.
Hey You Down There! by Harold Rolseth. There's a pdf including it at http://www.englishandmedia.co.uk/download/pdf/engunitsamp.pdf

oh uckfay
Apr 29, 2007

Morlock posted:

Hey You Down There! by Harold Rolseth. There's a pdf including it at http://www.englishandmedia.co.uk/download/pdf/engunitsamp.pdf

Haha thanks! You are quite prompt sir.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Morlock posted:

That was a pretty awesome story.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I read this back in 2005 and it was a paperback. My aunt gave it to me and she was pretty big into Christianity at the time so it may be considered a religious book in the style of Left Behind.

One of the main clues I remember is that it was marked on the cover it was formally known as (I believe) "Redemption"

It's a story about the apocalypse and one of the main characters is some type of religious person (priest?) who's trying to figure out what's going on.

Here's some random things I remember

1) Starts with a ebola like disease.
2) Pope gets blown up on a boat.
3) The second or third prophecy was red rashes breaking out over most of the people. I think this part took place in Italy.
4) Lots of talk about Iraq being Babylon and a miliant there.
5) Turns out it isn't a religious thing but a secret group that was planning to reduce the population by 94% to protect the Earth.
6) They were using cell sites(?) to release the thing that caused the rashes or maybe the final virus?
7) Something at the end about rainbows from the cell sites? Maybe that was the signal to call off the plan and another twist that maybe God was responsible for us being saved?

- edit spoilered 2-7 just in case

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 15, 2009

Major Tom
Dec 14, 2008
I read this in elementary school and I'm pretty sure it's a "young adult" novel. This is the best I can remember it:

This boy is growing up on his family farm in the Midwest, for some reason I want to say early 1990s. They default on their mortgage, and the kid explains it as going to the bank with his dad over many months, and watching some number (crop payments? account balance? IDK) get smaller and smaller. So they pack up and move to the big city. They don't have any money so they have to move into a sty of a tenement; an absentee slumlord is mentioned, and life is really hard. Then a fire breaks out in the building and him and his dad are separated from his mother and sister in the chaos. I think they might have died in the fire. Then him and his dad are homeless for a while. Near the end of the book, his dad comes up to him and says there's good news, he found a job on a construction site. To celebrate the dad takes his son to McDonald's.

Pretty glum eh? It's been probably ten years so some details might be a bit off. Good luck.

Cortel
Sep 9, 2008
I read this book probably 8-10 years ago and only have a vague recollection of it. The cover is a desert-ish area with a blue column (a scene from early in the book).

This kid is going hiking in the desert/a canyon/somewhere similar and he sees a column of blue light and for some reason guesses it's a collision of matter and antimatter, and he got this idea from one of his teachers. He runs toward it taking pictures, and then he trips or something, falls into it, and wakes up in jungle. He meets some locals and then [I've forgotten the whole book] he's in a sword fight with the major villain or something and he gets zapped back to his own world in the middle of a mall wielding his sword the end.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This one's a long shot, but I've been trying to track it down for a while.

In the early 80s at junior (middle) school in the UK I read a collection of short stories. I know one of the other stories in the book was Saki's "The Unrest Cure" but that's not the one I'm trying to find.

Anyway, in this story there are three boys, who play with toy boats on a lake in a local park. They work out a way to fire a torpedo from their boat to sink other peoples' boats. I remember there was secret signal described as "something to do with elbows" to signal one of the boys to fire the torpedo. Their boat is referred to as "a long, low, rakish craft" at one point.

After a few successes they start referring to the lake as "The Spanish Main", but soon the narrator starts worrying that someone has realized what they're doing and they're following him. The story ends when they try to sink another boat belonging to someone that they've sunk previously - it turns out the target is remote controlled and has guns fitted to it, which destroy their boat.

It's annoying that I can remember so many details of the story but not the title, so any help would be appreciated.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Cortel posted:

I read this book probably 8-10 years ago and only have a vague recollection of it. The cover is a desert-ish area with a blue column (a scene from early in the book).

This kid is going hiking in the desert/a canyon/somewhere similar and he sees a column of blue light and for some reason guesses it's a collision of matter and antimatter, and he got this idea from one of his teachers. He runs toward it taking pictures, and then he trips or something, falls into it, and wakes up in jungle. He meets some locals and then [I've forgotten the whole book] he's in a sword fight with the major villain or something and he gets zapped back to his own world in the middle of a mall wielding his sword the end.

I am making a guess. Is it The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen?

Cortel
Sep 9, 2008

Khisareth posted:

I am making a guess. Is it The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen?

Yes! Thank you! I'm off to see how awful this book was!

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005
I'm looking for a book I've read about 18 years ago, so it might be even older than that.
I remember that it took place on a spaceship flying lots of people in cryostasis through space to find a planet to live on. The main character would be woken up by a computer from time to time (can't remember why) and would be thoroughly questioned about his dreams. There was also a cold (blue?) light involved somehow.
I also remember that their cryosuits where only made of some kind of silver mesh.

It all ended when they finally reached their planet after many hundreds? thousands? of years just to discover they were back at earth (I think)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hobnob posted:

This one's a long shot, but I've been trying to track it down for a while.

In the early 80s at junior (middle) school in the UK I read a collection of short stories. I know one of the other stories in the book was Saki's "The Unrest Cure" but that's not the one I'm trying to find.

Anyway, in this story there are three boys, who play with toy boats on a lake in a local park. They work out a way to fire a torpedo from their boat to sink other peoples' boats. I remember there was secret signal described as "something to do with elbows" to signal one of the boys to fire the torpedo. Their boat is referred to as "a long, low, rakish craft" at one point.

After a few successes they start referring to the lake as "The Spanish Main", but soon the narrator starts worrying that someone has realized what they're doing and they're following him. The story ends when they try to sink another boat belonging to someone that they've sunk previously - it turns out the target is remote controlled and has guns fitted to it, which destroy their boat.

It's annoying that I can remember so many details of the story but not the title, so any help would be appreciated.

That's such a weird premise for a story. I was Googling "Spanish Main" and "long, low, rakish craft" and got numerous historical accounts, apparently the phrase was borrowed from earlier works.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
I am trying to remember the name of a scifi book which had a similar premise to the new show Dollhouse. People could be implanted into bodies, called 'skins' I think. The skins were usually criminals who were forced to give up their bodies for the period of their incarceration. The personalities each retained their muscle memory and special neuro-enhancements.

The main plot dealt with tracking down the assumed assassin of a multi-billionaire. There was a sideplot about how hotels were automated and there were no attendants, simply a gun turret in the lobby to keep unwanted people away.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

nemotrm posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a scifi book which had a similar premise to the new show Dollhouse. People could be implanted into bodies, called 'skins' I think. The skins were usually criminals who were forced to give up their bodies for the period of their incarceration. The personalities each retained their muscle memory and special neuro-enhancements.

The main plot dealt with tracking down the assumed assassin of a multi-billionaire. There was a sideplot about how hotels were automated and there were no attendants, simply a gun turret in the lobby to keep unwanted people away.

That's Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Hobnob posted:

That's Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

Thanks.

XenoXiaoyu
Mar 28, 2006

Give us your HANDS
Alright, I have tried Google to no avail. This was a short story (I think) that was even recommended here at SA a couple years ago.

The story is an online sci fi thing. It's basically about how a computer AI takes over the world, but doesn't kill anyone. Following Asimov's Laws of Robotics, it has to do everything humans want it too. After the AI more or less becomes God, people start asking for things, wishing for anything, and they of course get it.

The main character was like the 6th oldest woman in the world at the time the AI became God. Since no humans are allowed to die due to the AI's inaction, the main character gets saved. Since she actually kinda wanted to die then, she participates in these "death games" and likes the sting of pain.

The story goes on from there, but I really loved it. I like to find it again to recommend to some friends. Anyone know where it is / what it is called?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

XenoXiaoyu posted:

Alright, I have tried Google to no avail. This was a short story (I think) that was even recommended here at SA a couple years ago.

The story is an online sci fi thing. It's basically about how a computer AI takes over the world, but doesn't kill anyone. Following Asimov's Laws of Robotics, it has to do everything humans want it too. After the AI more or less becomes God, people start asking for things, wishing for anything, and they of course get it.

The main character was like the 6th oldest woman in the world at the time the AI became God. Since no humans are allowed to die due to the AI's inaction, the main character gets saved. Since she actually kinda wanted to die then, she participates in these "death games" and likes the sting of pain.

The story goes on from there, but I really loved it. I like to find it again to recommend to some friends. Anyone know where it is / what it is called?

that would be The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect . (some guy from kuro5hin wrote it)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

roffles posted:

that would be The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect . (some guy from kuro5hin wrote it)

Thank you both for that; it was amazing.

XenoXiaoyu
Mar 28, 2006

Give us your HANDS

roffles posted:

YES! That's what it is. I knew it had an 'm' word in the title somewhere. Well, now I'm gonna read it again. Thanks!

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Was browsing at Barnes and Noble a couple years ago and I found a book in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section but forgot to write down the title. This was 2 or 3 years ago and from what I can remember it was a trade size book. If I remember right, the plot was about this farmer guy who gets some sort of summons to a school of magic and I think he enters though a door he shouldn't have been able to. He seemed to have some sort of druid like magic but never seemed to acknowledge that he did. There was also some plot about political intrigue and possibly a street fair where some Punch and Judy kind of show puts some sort of spell on one of the female main characters. Also the guy might have been old, I think he was married and then his wife died or something.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005
Hmmm, all the books solved but no one knows what I am talking about with the dreamers book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Looking for the name of a book read in the early 80s ...

Probably teen fiction, a mystery about somebody murdering kids in a school. The first kid who gets killed is killed by an exploding piano. It turns out that the piano was meant for the teacher. Somebody is hung halfway through the story too.

That's all I've got to work with, although I think the exploding piano is probably a pretty distinguishing element.