Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Nobody has any suggestions for a good microphone (I asked earlier in the thread)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Has anyone seen Golden Shellback?

http://vimeo.com/1381538

I'd get this done if it wasn't so expensive

if i ever got this it would be on my cellphone and i would show it off constantly. "oh no i dropped my phone in this full sink oh wait it's a miracle!"

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

granpa yum posted:

if i ever got this it would be on my cellphone and i would show it off constantly. "oh no i dropped my phone in this full sink oh wait it's a miracle!"

How the hell does it handle things like opening the battery compartment, or plugging in audio jacks? Im baffled.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FidgetyRat posted:

How the hell does it handle things like opening the battery compartment, or plugging in audio jacks? Im baffled.

It coats the inside and outside of every component. It doesn't close any seams.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD
Quick question, I skimmed through the thread but couldn't find an answer so sorry if I just missed it. I just got my iPod touch 2G today, and when I turn it on it's fine. After a while if I just leave it on the home screen it starts to randomly opening applications and it acts like I touched the screen randomly during other use. The only thing I can think of at the moment short of damaged hardware is that dust is hitting the screen and a screen protector can take care of it. Is there any other reason this could be happening or should I just take it to the apple store to get it looked at?

If it's relevant I ordered from the apple website and it was shipped by FedEx.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
My home button hasn't worked properly in weeks, and stopped working entirely over the past few days. I finally got tired enough of it to bite the bullet and crack open my touch.

It took me a long time just to get the back off because I was super paranoid about breaking something. After that it was a few screws and lots of careful prying, as it seems like everything in there was taped or glued down. I think I only did one stupid thing - I tried to pry the board that has the headphone and dock connector on it rather than simply swinging it up after removing the wifi antenna and other top assemblies. My pry tool slipped and I busted off a couple of what appear to be ferrite beads:

For reference, that screw is tiny, possibly smaller than an eyeglass screw. I think I have both of the parts that came off (I have two black specks anyway), and I'm going to try and solder them back on tomorrow at work, where I have a fine tip iron and a microscope. The good news is that since they're beads, if I did lose any of them I can just short the two pads with a blob of solder and it should work just fine.

After taking everything out of the touch (though I realized later that I could have left the screen in), I finally had access to the button. It appeared to have a white powdery substance coating it, which is probably dead skin cells or something equally gross:

I cleaned the contacts and the actual metal dome with some rubbing alcohol, then reassembled the touch, minus the back cover. The home button works again! I can charge it over USB, audio output works, and wifi works. I'm guessing that those beads I broke off go to some signal lines on the dock connector. I don't have anything to dock this with, so I may not even need them. I should be able to fix them though. I'll update tomorrow after I'm done and have put the back on it again.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WALLGOD posted:

Quick question, I skimmed through the thread but couldn't find an answer so sorry if I just missed it. I just got my iPod touch 2G today, and when I turn it on it's fine. After a while if I just leave it on the home screen it starts to randomly opening applications and it acts like I touched the screen randomly during other use. The only thing I can think of at the moment short of damaged hardware is that dust is hitting the screen and a screen protector can take care of it. Is there any other reason this could be happening or should I just take it to the apple store to get it looked at?

Dust wouldn't cause that. Just take it to the Apple store.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Hillridge posted:

I cleaned the contacts and the actual metal dome with some rubbing alcohol, then reassembled the touch, minus the back cover. The home button works again! I can charge it over USB, audio output works, and wifi works. I'm guessing that those beads I broke off go to some signal lines on the dock connector. I don't have anything to dock this with, so I may not even need them. I should be able to fix them though. I'll update tomorrow after I'm done and have put the back on it again.

Holy poo poo, you're braver than me...but why not just take it to the Apple store?

Also, that's some nice Macro photography there.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Would they fix something like that? The warranty ran out a while ago.
The home button is working great now. I can actually double click it again!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Hillridge posted:

Would they fix something like that? The warranty ran out a while ago.
The home button is working great now. I can actually double click it again!

I imagine they would if you paid for it.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Hillridge posted:

My pry tool slipped and I busted off a couple of what appear to be ferrite beads:

I don't think those are ferrite beads. They are some type of SMC component, likely a capacitor or a resistor.. Do they have any markings at all? Should be easy enough to reattach assuming they weren't damaged and you are very very gentle on the heat.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I think you may be right. I measured them as best I could and got no continuity or resistance, but about 18pf capacitance. Either way, I did find both of them. At first one turned out to be a piece of dirt, but I found the real one on my desk a minute ago.

This is definitely the smallest SMD I've had to solder:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Super Dude posted:

It's called Veency (through Cydia). Download whatever VNC client you use. I use tightvnc on my PC, I'm sure there is something similar out there for Macs. Just type in your ipod's ip and it will give you direct control. The one thing you can't do is simulate pressing the home button. That shouldn't really matter if you are just controlling music.

A bit late, so you may have found this out already, but if you click the right mouse button anywhere in the screen it will simulate the home button for you! Atleast, it does on the iPhone and I'm 99.9% sure it works on the touch as well. I love Veency, it's awesome to just type on my laptop for quick messages.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm unable to drag and drop albums on to my iPod any more. Can someone tell me how to fix it so I can listen to music without having to create playlists or queue up my whole collection?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hillridge posted:

This is definitely the smallest SMD I've had to solder:
Set your iron to a low temp, clean them and the area with lots of flux, use a needlepoint tip and prepare to be very patient.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Those caps were a bitch to solder back in. I didn't have any problem getting them lined up, or getting an iron in there, but they just didn't want to solder. I ended up adding some solder to the pads and sinking the ends into it, then covering the ends with an over sized ball of solder. It's all back together now and seems to be working fine. I don't think I'll ever get the back to be as tight to the front as it used to be though.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I write for a newspaper and really need a recorder for interviewing. I know that there used to be one for the iPod minis, but is there one for the Touch? I have a first gen Touch, so no speakers.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
I don't think the first gen touch has audio input capabilities, but I could be wrong on that.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

DarkSol posted:

I'm unable to drag and drop albums on to my iPod any more. Can someone tell me how to fix it so I can listen to music without having to create playlists or queue up my whole collection?

I've never seen that, does it give an error or just X out? If it X's out I'd try re-installing iTunes or trying on a different computer.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Wreckus posted:

I've never seen that, does it give an error or just X out? If it X's out I'd try re-installing iTunes or trying on a different computer.

I figured it out. I had to set iTunes to let me manually manage my media. It's on the "Summary" screen.

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

I have a 2nd Gen 8Gb Touch and recently had to reinstall windows. I had configured my itunes music folder location for another hard drive to hopefully alleviate any trouble when the day came I had to reinstall windows. But of course, once reinstalled I pointed itunes to the same directory on separate drive and itunes just stares at it blankly. WTF. My playlists are gone which is the real bitch. I was at least able to get my apps back into itunes.

So is there any way to export my touch's playlist back into itunes or am I in for a long day of recreating playlists...again? I thought I was being diligent in having my itunes folder on a separate drive but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

grumpy posted:

I have a 2nd Gen 8Gb Touch and recently had to reinstall windows. I had configured my itunes music folder location for another hard drive to hopefully alleviate any trouble when the day came I had to reinstall windows. But of course, once reinstalled I pointed itunes to the same directory on separate drive and itunes just stares at it blankly. WTF. My playlists are gone which is the real bitch. I was at least able to get my apps back into itunes.

So is there any way to export my touch's playlist back into itunes or am I in for a long day of recreating playlists...again? I thought I was being diligent in having my itunes folder on a separate drive but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.
Sounds like you forgot to backup the MyDocs/MyMusic/iTunes folder. In there is your library and all playlists and settings and poo poo.

I don't think there's anyway to pull the playlists off the iPod though.

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

xamphear posted:

Sounds like you forgot to backup the MyDocs/MyMusic/iTunes folder. In there is your library and all playlists and settings and poo poo.

I don't think there's anyway to pull the playlists off the iPod though.

drat. Well, lesson learned.

Thanks!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

grumpy posted:

drat. Well, lesson learned.

Thanks!
JFYI: Any time you're going to flatten/reinstall back up your entire C:\Documents and Settings\Username folder and plop it all back in after. It's like a one time manual roaming profile, and will save your settings and poo poo for 99% of your installed apps. (assuming you use XP, folders and poo poo are all different for vista)

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Is there any way to sync the touch with a .txt file so I can look at in the Notes application? I'd rather do that that type poo poo on the touch one character at a time.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Contingency Plan posted:

Is there any way to sync the touch with a .txt file so I can look at in the Notes application? I'd rather do that that type poo poo on the touch one character at a time.

Sounds like someone needs to discover Evernote!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WALLGOD posted:

Can you tie your own shoes or do you get someone to do that for you too?

Cheez-It
Oct 24, 2003

by Tiny Fistpump

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Can you tie your own shoes or do you get someone to do that for you too?

^^^Animosity on the internet? How odd. Not really sure but I think you need to replace it, never heard of anyone fixing it.

warpspeedmind
Aug 2, 2006
EDIT: nevermind, found the info myself - scam product

warpspeedmind fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 11, 2009

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
untethered jailbreak is out, i've got it working without custom boot logos. its basically the same since i only rebooted like once every 2 weeks but its nice to know i dont have to hassle with terminal anymore for a working ipod.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

granpa yum posted:

untethered jailbreak is out, i've got it working without custom boot logos. its basically the same since i only rebooted like once every 2 weeks but its nice to know i dont have to hassle with terminal anymore for a working ipod.
Yeah, I think I've rebooted once since I jailbroke mine weeks ago. It's a shame this couldn't stay under wraps until the next iPhone.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hey I think if you have a "lyrics" subfolder containing text files of the lyrics when syncing, that the Touch will show the lyrics when you tap for the volume control

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

granpa yum posted:

So...where can I get it?

Also, do I have to do something extra to get rid of the tethered jailbreak?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 12, 2009

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The purpose of jailbreaking is to install third party apps, correct? So once you jailbreak the iPod, how do you get these apps onto the iPod? I should probably Google this but I figured I should come here first.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

The purpose of jailbreaking is to install third party apps, correct? So once you jailbreak the iPod, how do you get these apps onto the iPod? I should probably Google this but I figured I should come here first.

generally when you flash the jailbroken firmware it will install cydia, which is an app repository.

and the permanent jailbreak is available at ipodtouchfans.com in the forums, but right now it's kind of a pain in the rear end to do. eventually iphone dev team will release a new version of pwnage that will make it easy to do, but lord knows how long that will take.

edit: there's an application called Quickfreedom out now for windows that does the process pretty painlessly, i just did it again for a friend and used it. and if you're on mac (like me) you can use it in parallels/bootcamp/vmware to create the modded ipsw and then do the rest (DFU mode, restore in itunes) in osx.

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 12, 2009

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Right now I have an 80 gig ipod, and it's started locking up and reporting disk errors in diagnostic mode. I was looking at getting an iPod Touch to replace it, and was wondering if the touch will update podcasts over wifi? I looked in the Apple Store, and it doesn't really say anything about this.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

boo_radley posted:

Right now I have an 80 gig ipod, and it's started locking up and reporting disk errors in diagnostic mode. I was looking at getting an iPod Touch to replace it, and was wondering if the touch will update podcasts over wifi? I looked in the Apple Store, and it doesn't really say anything about this.
Wifi podcast support is halfway there in my opinion. In an ideal world, your subscriptions would sync with your iTunes store ID and when you're on the go you could bring up a list of all your subscriptions, hit refresh, see which episodes you've already heard/deleted and then download/stream new episodes.

The way it works currently is that you can go into the iTunes app on the touch, and either download or stream podcast episodes, but you have to search for them manually, and remember yourself if you've heard the latest episode or not.

There's a program for sale in the appstore called RSS Player which will let you subscribe directly to feeds on your touch, letting you manage your subscriptions completely. It does not sync with iTunes, though, so it's a one or the other deal unless you want to manually manage two podcast libraries.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I really want to get a touch, but I want to wait and see if there's going to be a revision soon. Maybe after next week's iPhone 3.0 software event we'll know more...

Also, would the 3.0 revision cause a delay in the jailbreaking process for people who update/ buy new hardware?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

jototo posted:

I really want to get a touch, but I want to wait and see if there's going to be a revision soon. Maybe after next week's iPhone 3.0 software event we'll know more...

Also, would the 3.0 revision cause a delay in the jailbreaking process for people who update/ buy new hardware?
Assuming apple has time to patch out the new method that's working on the 2g touches (and they will), then yes, I'd anticipate at least a few months from when the 3g touches hit until they're jailbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jototo posted:

You are in for a decent wait if you want a newer touch. They are more or less on a yearly update cycle and we are mid year. Plus it takes another 4-6 months for a break.

They have had a non tethered jailbreak for a while, but had been holding onto it waiting for the next iphone release in hopes they would end up with a jailbreak option at launch, but this other douche bag group charging for the unlock forced their hand.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 13, 2009

• Locked thread