Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, that does suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
And now the Shaman King guy is working on a really horrible manga with Stan Lee. It's awful.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Zorak posted:

As I recall hearing, the manga was canceled, leading to him freezing the ending abruptly in the middle of arc or something. And then later was given a chance for a sequel series, so the original series doesn't have an ending.

Pretty much. Seriously, it's the lamest ending ever. Spoilered for anyone who care: It just stops. There's some monologue poo poo about Hao being a princess and yoo being her/his prince who will wake her from her slumber and that's it.

And to think that shaman king is one of the few mangas I managed to not spoil. :(

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!
Spend last week reading Berserk for the first time. Was a good week. Been holding out on the serie because of my tests to see what it was about by all had showed me things involving Griffith and he's pretty much the only character I can't stand in the serie.

When I searched for 302 it showed that the raw was downloadable and that was a week ago. How long does it normally take before it get cleaned and translated?

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.

badOrigo posted:

Spend last week reading Berserk for the first time. Was a good week. Been holding out on the serie because of my tests to see what it was about by all had showed me things involving Griffith and he's pretty much the only character I can't stand in the serie.

When I searched for 302 it showed that the raw was downloadable and that was a week ago. How long does it normally take before it get cleaned and translated?

Edit: I shouldn't be so angry!

It depends, sometimes it can be a couple of days sometimes it can be a month.

Nubian Robodin fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 26, 2009

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

badOrigo posted:

#302 isn't actually out yet, no date has been given and it isn't scheduled for the coming two issues of Young Animal. We're looking at what is probably at least a couple more months before we get a raw.

#301 has been available from Evil_Genius for some time now.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'm estimating we get 6 issues of Berserk this year tops.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm estimating we get 6 issues of Berserk this year tops.

Well you've just jinxed it for the year. I'll be cursing you when we don't get one till August.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I wouldn't care as much about how long it takes between releases if the chapters were as long as they used to be.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I stopped reading at 295ish a while back and just read the latest 6 chapters. Could someone give me the chapter where the Kushan king turns into that giant monster? I don't remember it for some reason.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
295 is the chapter where it happens.

badOrigo
Sep 14, 2007
Hey systematically marginalized groups, stop acting like victims!

LordMune posted:

#302 isn't actually out yet, no date has been given and it isn't scheduled for the coming two issues of Young Animal. We're looking at what is probably at least a couple more months before we get a raw.

#301 has been available from Evil_Genius for some time now.

Google just showed up 4 or some results from some pay-for-account rapidshare/torrent side. I just assumed it was out. Teaches me not to assume.

drat those lazy artists.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I like to play Oblivion as a large black man who wields a claymore and pretend I'm Guts :unsmith:

VVVV Oh gently caress yeah

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 10, 2009

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

I like to play Oblivion as a large black man who wields a claymore and pretend I'm Guts :unsmith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Don't forget the Berserker Armor mod.

WalterBennet
Dec 13, 2002

I thought you guys would want to know we got a response from a letter we at Skullknight.Net wrote to Miura with 10 questions about the series.

Miura himself did not write back, but the Berserk Editor at Hakusensha got answers directly from Miura.

It's not yet fully translated, but here's what we do know so far based on basic translations of the interview:

- 3-4 years have passed since the Lost Children Chapter (making Guts ~23-24, instead of locked forever at 21)
- the series is 60-70 percent complete, but that's not set in stone (still, better than not knowing at all)
- Miura himself does not know if the Idea of Evil will be written into the story again
- Skullknight.NET is the #1 foreign Berserk community =)

The scans of the reply can be viewed here and here

Edit: updated with new translations

WalterBennet fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2009

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
That's really cool, actually.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Band of the FALCON sounds really gay

WalterBennet
Dec 13, 2002

Gvaz posted:

Band of the FALCON sounds really gay
Thanks for the input.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

WalterBennet posted:

Thanks for the input.

Come on, 250+ chapters of reading it as band of the hawk, and you learn it's Falcon? Think about it, what sounds cooler? Hawk sounds more like something a mercenary group would use, falcon just sounds too regal.

WalterBennet
Dec 13, 2002

Gvaz posted:

Come on, 250+ chapters of reading it as band of the hawk, and you learn it's Falcon? Think about it, what sounds cooler? Hawk sounds more like something a mercenary group would use, falcon just sounds too regal.
Your reasoning sounds a little subjective here. Have you considered that you might have just developed an affinity for the name "Band of the Hawk" over the past few years?

Anyway, it turns out the guy didn't definitively say that it's always been Falcon. We've always known the kanji was interchangable as Hawk/Falcon, but the answer we got sort of dodged the question that was posed =\.

Oh yeah, and they're episodes not chapters. Chapters denote longer stories within Arcs, for Berserk, but the individual releases are "episodes."

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

I really have nothing to add besides saying that this is really neat. And I do think Hawk sounds better but whatever.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Great to hear it turned out so well even if they dodged a few answers.
Well done.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Goons posted:

"Hawk!"
"Falcon!"
"Hawk!"
:jerkbag:

Apart from hawk being a sterner sounding word (nothing to do with what it rhymes with,) they're both birds of prey. And don't forget that some of the other armies are sheep and rhinos. Purple even I think--well, it was a royal color to some after all.

More importantly I'm glad to hear it's over half-way done. Epic as it is, the 20-year mark is telling me it needs to find its answer and start moving to the final machinations. Even those will probably take a few years to be released. Sort of like 100 Bullets which will probably have spent nearly two years on the last 12 issues.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought Griffith's helmet looked more like a Falcon anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Seeing this thread turn up had me thinking 302 was actually out. Bastards!

On the other hand, I've convinced my reluctantly anime-watching friend to give the series a try by telling him it was kind of like Army of Darkness, but more serious. :v:

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Seeing this thread turn up had me thinking 302 was actually out. Bastards!

On the other hand, I've convinced my reluctantly anime-watching friend to give the series a try by telling him it was kind of like Army of Darkness, but more serious. :v:

WHAT.

That is a cruel, cruel thing, sir.

You must make certain to post and/or record his response after the last couple eps of the anime. Or the relevant part of the manga.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's the Idea of Evil again? Reading that triggered nothing in my memories of Berserk, which means I need to sit down and re-read it again at some point soon.

Oh darn! :)

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008
Pretty sure it's the GIANT AMORPHOUS THING OF FLESH AND HORROR (also, extra dimensional) that briefly shows up, and is the power behind all the weird crap that happens. As I remember, it yammers on about how it's the true nature of reality and humanity / exists because it is the collection of the true nature of reality and humanity. It also may or may not be fate, or that which controls fate, or the beginning and end of the world.

In the end, it's one more very powerful thing telling Guts that he's doomed the world is hell / will become hell.

It would make me happy for a week to see Guts stab the fucker with his sword; or, baring that, just loving pummel it until his goddamn hand breaks off leaving only a sharp stump of bone with which to do the necessary stabbing.

(I think it's an excellent and very thematically appropriate thing, I just loathe it and all it tries to stand for on a such a fundamental level that I can't not share it with you all. I hate it, and it needs to die, and I think that's how we're supposed to feel as the readers.)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

narfanator posted:

Pretty sure it's the GIANT AMORPHOUS THING OF FLESH AND HORROR (also, extra dimensional) that briefly shows up, and is the power behind all the weird crap that happens. As I remember, it yammers on about how it's the true nature of reality and humanity / exists because it is the collection of the true nature of reality and humanity. It also may or may not be fate, or that which controls fate, or the beginning and end of the world.

In the end, it's one more very powerful thing telling Guts that he's doomed the world is hell / will become hell.

It would make me happy for a week to see Guts stab the fucker with his sword; or, baring that, just loving pummel it until his goddamn hand breaks off leaving only a sharp stump of bone with which to do the necessary stabbing.

(I think it's an excellent and very thematically appropriate thing, I just loathe it and all it tries to stand for on a such a fundamental level that I can't not share it with you all. I hate it, and it needs to die, and I think that's how we're supposed to feel as the readers.)

Looked more like misshaped heart to me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

narfanator posted:

THat's... not what it is at all?

It's following along the lines that it's human emotions/ beliefs that shape the spiritual world. The human race wants to believe in concepts of "Good", "Evil", "God", and "Fate", and this belief in destiny and these other essences result in the creation of that in the spiritual realm. The ultimate form then is the "Idea of Evil", ie, "God", the thing that created the Godhand, the thing that each Godhand performs the will of by doing their own will.

It doesn't stand for anything, it just -is-, because humanity made it and shaped it with their belief. Humans wanted a god, wanted evil so there would be good. So they got it. Just like they wanted a savior, and they got Griffith (and in turn, an evil for Griffith to fight).

Also yeah, it looks like a giant heart.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
That's from the removed chapter right?

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
I knew it wouldn't be a new chapter, but this is pretty neat too.

Are the questions available anywhere? Some of the answers are useless without them.

Edit : Found the original thread, someone made a translation near the bottom of the page http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9513.50

Groen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 3, 2009

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Zorak posted:

THat's... not what it is at all?

It's following along the lines that it's human emotions/ beliefs that shape the spiritual world. The human race wants to believe in concepts of "Good", "Evil", "God", and "Fate", and this belief in destiny and these other essences result in the creation of that in the spiritual realm. The ultimate form then is the "Idea of Evil", ie, "God", the thing that created the Godhand, the thing that each Godhand performs the will of by doing their own will.

It doesn't stand for anything, it just -is-, because humanity made it and shaped it with their belief. Humans wanted a god, wanted evil so there would be good. So they got it. Just like they wanted a savior, and they got Griffith (and in turn, an evil for Griffith to fight).

Also yeah, it looks like a giant heart.

That would be the accurate way to put it. I'm anthropomorphizing it when I say things like "stands for", because it's easier. Griffith is the good guy only if you don't know what's going on (which most of the people don't), Guts is if you do.

The causal relationship came across to me as flipped; because that is the God-thing, humanity craves those things, rather than Humanity craving those things creating it.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope
A friend of mine is a huge fan of Berserk. After reading the OP, I've decided that I've been missing something.

Something awesome. I wonder where I can buy the volumes in Sweden, or any shop that ships to Sweden... Any suggestions?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Leonard Leroy posted:

That's from the removed chapter right?

Yup. But does anyone recall why it was removed? You guys seem to enjoy it, but is it no longer part of the story? (aka, canon I suppose.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Andrigaar posted:

Yup. But does anyone recall why it was removed? You guys seem to enjoy it, but is it no longer part of the story? (aka, canon I suppose.)

The author just decided he didn't want to explain the world that much yet.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Wow just read that chapter and it explains so much. I was so confused with the whole Caska rape thing because before then Griffith had actually seemed like a good person, just very ambitious. That chapter shows that he actually changed when becoming Femto - absorbing the collective consciousness of humanity.
At least that's my take on it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

canned_fruit posted:

Wow just read that chapter and it explains so much. I was so confused with the whole Caska rape thing because before then Griffith had actually seemed like a good person, just very ambitious. That chapter shows that he actually changed when becoming Femto - absorbing the collective consciousness of humanity.
At least that's my take on it.

You're forgetting that Griffith attempted to rape Caska even before becoming Femto, when he was all horribly disfigured from the torture. She was more "wow this is pathetic :( GRIFFITHU KUN", and that's what made her tell Guts she was going to stay with him just before Griffith went and got the Eclipse started.

Griffith was always ambitious, never really good or bad. He did things that suited his ambition at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zorak posted:

You're forgetting that Griffith attempted to rape Caska even before becoming Femto, when he was all horribly disfigured from the torture. She was more "wow this is pathetic :( GRIFFITHU KUN", and that's what made her tell Guts she was going to stay with him just before Griffith went and got the Eclipse started.

Griffith was always ambitious, never really good or bad. He did things that suited his ambition at all times.

Yeah, he probably would've raped Caska before if it wouldn't damage his reputation with her or the others.