Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hob_Gadling posted:

So, who is betting on the dragon not actually teleporting at V's family? V is pretty screwed as it is, and the dragon might rather play it safe and let the demons do the dirty work.

The dragon doesn't know about the demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

The dragon doesn't know about the demons.
How do you know that? Maybe this is just a total mind-gently caress on the dragon's part in order to get V to sell his soul.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Nosy_G posted:

How do you know that? Maybe this is just a total mind-gently caress on the dragon's part in order to get V to sell his soul.

That would be way too contrived, I think.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

Nosy_G posted:

I think V could very easily scry on the dragon with the power of 3 epic casters.

edit: especially considering that all V has been doing for these last few months at sea is develop new scrying spells.

bison wings fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2009

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sick_Boy posted:

That would be way too contrived, I think.

I don't think there is such a thing as 'way too contrived' to a dragon.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
This precisely. Although I think that the idea of the dragon being in cahoots with the demons is unlikely, there is no "too contrived" for dragons. If you ever want to write a super-intelligent creature like a dragon, just assume it knows more of the plot than everybody else. The rest follows.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Although I think that the idea of the dragon being in cahoots with the demons is unlikely, there is no "too contrived" for dragons.

I was thinking more on the lines of dragon having asked oracle "what would be a great enough threat to get V to do something really stupid?" After all, it would have been vastly simpler to just kill the kids beforehand and come gloat with them as zombies.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hob_Gadling posted:

I was thinking more on the lines of dragon having asked oracle "what would be a great enough threat to get V to do something really stupid?" After all, it would have been vastly simpler to just kill the kids beforehand and come gloat with them as zombies.

Simplier but not as dramatic. Knowing what is going to happen to them, and then knowing there is nothing at all you can do to stop it would be horrifying.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
I think this is being a little overthought. Most likely the dragon did nothing more than ask the Oracle who killed her son and where his/her family was. Dragons may be clever, but they're pretty arrogant and overconfident too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Geshtal posted:

overthought

Welcome to every OOtS thread on the internet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New strip, but it's larger in dimension than Waffleimages will mirror.

Using xs.to instead

I must say the four words are disappointing.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 2, 2009

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ConfusedUs posted:

New strip, but it's larger in dimension than Waffleimages will mirror.

Using xs.to instead

I must say the four words are disappointing.

Wish I'd thought of that 'cutting your own head off' plan - that was pretty drat good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
That's a pretty good strip, the new characters are great too. V is a badass.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Here it is in two parts, then.

Click here for the full 712x935 image.

Click here for the full 712x1329 image.

Edit: gently caress, beaten.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm going to add that I love the way the three fiends are drawn. You really get a sense that they're swooping around in an unnerving way.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I am somewhat wary of any plan that begins with "cut your own head off", but Vaarsuvius is totally out of excuses now.

Though he looks totally dejected in that panel where he first grabs the blue pill. :smith:

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Vanadium posted:

I am somewhat wary of any plan that begins with "cut your own head off"
Hey, the Head of Vecna is a great artifact!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So, the casting time for Sending isn't a problem because there's a scroll for it... but Resurrection also takes 10 minutes to cast, and how likely is it that he has that one prepared (+5k gp of diamonds)? Or is this one the scroll that he has? Or does he have scrolls for both? Do scrolls even shorten the casting time?

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
I wonder what level V's master is, considering how nonchalantly he supposedly could dispose of the dragon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You really have to respect the evilness of the IFCC. Not only are they on their way toward the total destruction of good via simplistic Faustian bargan, they managed to push in that extra little bit of guilt right before completing the act. Plus there was the plagiarism with blue and red orbs, and encouraging both suicide and murder. Really, it's just too bad they couldn't find a way to work a little wife coveting in there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"I... I must succeed" is a fantastic four words because it so neatly encapsulate's the cause of V's damnation. S/he could totally follow Lee's plan and win without owing anything, but the drive for personal success, personal power, personal worth, and personal value is what drives Varsuuvius. It's perfect.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

LightWarden posted:

So, the casting time for Sending isn't a problem because there's a scroll for it... but Resurrection also takes 10 minutes to cast, and how likely is it that he has that one prepared (+5k gp of diamonds)? Or is this one the scroll that he has? Or does he have scrolls for both? Do scrolls even shorten the casting time?

Because they have the head, couldn't Durkon just cast a Raise Dead spell?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
This storyline has been my favourite since the siege of Azure city. The IFCC are amazing. I wish I could create NPCs that brilliant.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Pope Guilty posted:

"I... I must succeed" is a fantastic four words because it so neatly encapsulate's the cause of V's damnation. S/he could totally follow Lee's plan and win without owing anything, but the drive for personal success, personal power, personal worth, and personal value is what drives Varsuuvius. It's perfect.

i read it as the way hero boy says it in freakazoid

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm sorry but to save her family I can't even imagine that these four words are said "for all the wrong reasons" right now. Though I stand ready to be proven wrong.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Kleedrac posted:

I'm sorry but to save her family I can't even imagine that these four words are said "for all the wrong reasons" right now. Though I stand ready to be proven wrong.

He could have saved his family without damning his soul as they explicitly spelled out in the strip. Hello?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kleedrac posted:

Right now, the reason isn't "Save my family", it's "Save my family and my pride". Thus, it's the wrong reason.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Doesn't that mean that the Oracle knows about this whole thing?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well there's also more chance for things to go ring if he goes the self-sacrificing route. For example;

a) The Imp dies en route to the fleet.
b) The Imp's message is somehow lost or damaged in crossing the ocean or under attack from the fleet.
c) The Imp tries to twist the message because you sent me to my death you big hot tranny mess
d) V's master can't be reached because of Wizardry.
e) V's master doesn't listen to the message because he's a dick/elf.
f) V's master can't get to the dragon in time.
g) V's master isn't strong enough to kill the dragon.

That's playing devil's advocate though. It's pretty clear he made the "wrong" choice.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nilbop posted:

Well there's also more chance for things to go ring if he goes the self-sacrificing route. For example;

a) The Imp dies en route to the fleet.
b) The Imp's message is somehow lost or damaged in crossing the ocean or under attack from the fleet.
c) The Imp tries to twist the message because you sent me to my death you big hot tranny mess

The first two are irrelevant because he'd be teleporting. The last one is irrelevant because the plan only relies on the gang seeing V's head and raising him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Only in D&D can not killing oneself and having one's head sent to his friends by a literal devil be the wrong choice.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Durkon couldn't have rezzed V with only his head available, right? You'd need true resurrection / reincarnation for that.

Since the fiends are only interested in tipping the balance towards evil and destroy the celestials, I wonder what the hell they want to use V for. Controlling the snarl at the last possible moment or something else?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tripwood posted:

Durkon couldn't have rezzed V with only his head available, right? You'd need true resurrection / reincarnation for that.

Since the fiends are only interested in tipping the balance towards evil and destroy the celestials, I wonder what the hell they want to use V for. Controlling the snarl at the last possible moment or something else?

Bear in mind that you are taking three different varieties of devil at their word, here.

Not even big strong leather-clad flaming-whip wielding devils. Devils with hoods and glowing eyes and no faces.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

tripwood posted:

Nah, just resurrection.

Raise Dead: Body intact.
Resurrection: Body not intact, but possess tangible remains of the body.
True Resurection: Body not intact, don't possess any part of the body.

So resurrection would work.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

tripwood posted:

They each get his soul for a period of time, but I notice that they never specified that he had to be dead first.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

DoctorTristan posted:

They each get his soul for a period of time, but I notice that they never specified that he had to be dead first.

Yeah, Burlew is getting a bit obvious in pointing out the gun over the mantelpiece. The part where V was going on about how the soul-usage would be easily forgettable blah blah was kind of a giveaway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Neito posted:

Right now, the reason isn't "Save my family", it's "Save my family and my pride". Thus, it's the wrong reason.
Yeah, but a bunch of demons -- plural -- are the right person -- singular? And now is the right time? "Disintegrate. Gust of wind." works much better in the end. Right four words to the right person, to end that guy's stupid loving scheming, but for all the wrong reasons, since he did it just because he didn't care about that dude's plot, and it's a straight line from then to now.

Burlew will probably never clear it up, because I think he feeds on nerd debates on the Internet or something.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but a bunch of demons -- plural -- are the right person -- singular? And now is the right time? "Disintegrate. Gust of wind." works much better in the end. Right four words to the right person, to end that guy's stupid loving scheming, but for all the wrong reasons, since he did it just because he didn't care about that dude's plot, and it's a straight line from then to now.

Burlew will probably never clear it up, because I think he feeds on nerd debates on the Internet or something.

I dunno, I think the strip title pretty much proves these are the four words.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CK07 posted:

Yeah, Burlew is getting a bit obvious in pointing out the gun over the mantelpiece. The part where V was going on about how the soul-usage would be easily forgettable blah blah was kind of a giveaway.
The true dick move would be to use that soul-takeover time to kill V's family as soon as s/he is done saving them. Assuming, of course, s/he doesn't do the whole imprison souls in gems and never give up control thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's also the fact that V will almost certainly be held responsible for what the demons do with his/her soul during their time with it. It doesn't really matter that you were possessed when you willingly accepted that possession.