Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Steiler Drep posted:

That's a motherfucking nice setup, though Pocket Pod into a nice tube amp? Really?

Speaking of which, I'd like to buy a tube amp (seeing as I can't get a decent PA) to use with a PodXT live. Would a Classic 20 or 30 be perfect? I'm looking for 12", small and light. I'm not really worried for ultra volumes as I prefer plugging my pod into the PA but I'd like a replacement to my Flextone III for rehearsals and small alternative/indie gigs.

I play my X3Live through my Ampeg SuperJet 1x12 combo, and I think it sounds great, plus it gets as loud as I'll ever need. I've re-tubed it with some clean Ruby power and preamp tubes to give it more headroom, and now it plays really well with effects and the X3.

I've heard of people getting nice results with the PODs with keyboard amps as well, and there's also a brand that makes extra-clean amps specifically for modelers, but I can't remember the name of them offhand - sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

JohnnySmitch posted:

I play my X3Live through my Ampeg SuperJet 1x12 combo, and I think it sounds great, plus it gets as loud as I'll ever need. I've re-tubed it with some clean Ruby power and preamp tubes to give it more headroom, and now it plays really well with effects and the X3.

I've heard of people getting nice results with the PODs with keyboard amps as well, and there's also a brand that makes extra-clean amps specifically for modelers, but I can't remember the name of them offhand - sorry.

Atomic Amps

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

i used a basspodxt with the biggest roland keyboard amp(555) and it sounds great, even better than through a bass amp. and i use a keyboard amp when i use GR3 with a guitar and it sounds steller as well. just thought i would throw that in if anyone is wonderin about that sort of stuff.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

MrStraightface posted:

Roland JD-800

Sliders galore. Fun times have been had

'Sup JD-800, Buddy?

These things are going UP UP UP in value. Hang on to yours... I just bought another broken one to whitepanel :)

Is that an Alesis XT 8 or whatever? I've got one in storage if you need one on the cheap for daisy-chaining.

Hardware Patchbay users: The few, the proud, the unbalanced.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 27, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ZoCrowes posted:

Installed and setup a Bigsby B-5 on my Partscaster

Is that a P90 in the bridge pickup position? What's the bridge pickup sound like? Can you post some sound clips of that? I've never heard a P90 on a solid maple neck before.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Hadlock posted:

Is that a P90 in the bridge pickup position? What's the bridge pickup sound like? Can you post some sound clips of that? I've never heard a P90 on a solid maple neck before.

That's the neck pickup position, actually. He's got the single coil by the bridge.

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League
Just picked up one of these to install into my Les Paul. I'm thinking about the 18v mod but my local music store said they've never even heard of it. I'm hoping I can convince them to install it for me anyway.

(EMG 81 going into the bridge position)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

oredun posted:

i used a basspodxt with the biggest roland keyboard amp(555) and it sounds great, even better than through a bass amp. and i use a keyboard amp when i use GR3 with a guitar and it sounds steller as well. just thought i would throw that in if anyone is wonderin about that sort of stuff.

Further evidence: My Zoom G2.1u and GR3 sound great through my keyboard amp, once everything's dialed up right. Gotta turn on cabinet simulation and do a bit of eqing is all. And my friends Zoom B2.1u sounds better through my keyboard amp than it does through his (crap) bass amp, also. As a bonus you can run keyboard and vocals through them too, wow!

MrStraightface
Feb 19, 2009

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

'Sup JD-800, Buddy?

These things are going UP UP UP in value. Hang on to yours... I just bought another broken one to whitepanel :)

Is that an Alesis XT 8 or whatever? I've got one in storage if you need one on the cheap for daisy-chaining.

Hardware Patchbay users: The few, the proud, the unbalanced.

LX20 ADAt. Mostly there to take up a rack space. If you got 2 Distressors laying around I might be game =P

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Hadlock posted:

Nope the P90 is in the neck the bridge is just a good ol fashioned Tele pickup. We are recording this weekend I will post a clip because I use the middle position a lot on that guitar. The P90 and standard bridge give this really odd crunchy combination sound.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Also in that parts tele, is that a Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge? What made you choose that?

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
I used a tele with a maple neck and two p90s on my band's album, if you want to hear what one sounds like.
http://www.myspace.com/markallenutley

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Hit up two junk shops looking for vintage cufflinks. Asked about music gear, get told "there might be a guitar or an accordion or something in here somewhere." In each shop I dig around and find a dulcimer. Oddly enough, both dulcimers (in two different shops) were $55ish each, and of the uncommon alto scale length.

For those who haven't seen my dulcimer posts before, it's a drone zither used in the Appalachian mountains. Notice the odd fret spacing; it's "diatonic" like having only the white keys on a piano. Makes it really easy to play.

Here's what traditional dulcimer sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvABZfZVoFA

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Rashomon posted:

Also in that parts tele, is that a Jaguar/Jazzmaster bridge? What made you choose that?

It's the bridge that comes with the B-5 actually.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ZoCrowes posted:

It's the bridge that comes with the B-5 actually.

Because it pivots. :eng101:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

:frogc00l:

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
How is it to play? and given that it's mahogany and archtop, how awesomely bassy does it sound?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Stux posted:

blackstar clips please.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

krisis posted:

How is it to play? and given that it's mahogany and archtop, how awesomely bassy does it sound?

The RGA is gorgeous, but I need to put on some thicker strings because its in Drop C or something with like, nines. It plays amazingly although I just got home and its late so I havn't had a chance to really play with it and the amp yet. Its nice and light (compared to my bass anyway), really nice.

Thoogsby posted:

blackstar clips please.

I'll do some this week but it'll have to be through the emulated out because I don't have any mics at the moment.

Archituethis
Dec 25, 2008
Once I have the money I'm gonna see about gettin me one of these

Traben chaos 5 string

Tried one in a store once and instantly fell in love with it. Plays wonderfully, sounds great, looks great, isnt too heavy at all. Its perfect :3:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Did Traben finally stop putting retarded flame-plates on all their instruments?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Scarf posted:

Did Traben finally stop putting retarded flame-plates on all their instruments?

No, they still make instruments with ridiculous, unnecessary, huge bridge/plate combos. They just came out with a new design, "Chaos," that uses what they call their "Chaos Internal Bridge". So they now have one design represented in 4 different models or so that don't have gigantofuck plates.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Grabbed on of these used for about half the price of a new one.

So far it's been a lot of fun with the turntables, and the guitar, but I still need to update the firmware and learn exactly what all the effects do. So far I've mainly been playing with the sampler and the looper.

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

3Xfx Fatman that I'm buying second hand. I've wanted one of these for ages, and recently I shifted a few things off my board so I can afford it.

I'm also waiting on an Epiphone G-400 SG which I got for fairly cheap (£110), but the guy that sold it to me is taking his time getting it here...

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For those who haven't seen my dulcimer posts before, it's a drone zither used in the Appalachian mountains. Notice the odd fret spacing; it's "diatonic" like having only the white keys on a piano. Makes it really easy to play.

Here's what traditional dulcimer sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvABZfZVoFA

Heck yes. That is awesome.

As for me, I am happy because my haggard looking FZ-2 showed up today.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That is awesome, good deal for 50 bux. I've been looking for one for a while.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Stabbing Spork posted:

Grabbed on of these used for about half the price of a new one.

So far it's been a lot of fun with the turntables, and the guitar, but I still need to update the firmware and learn exactly what all the effects do. So far I've mainly been playing with the sampler and the looper.

I want one of these so bad. Post a review when you get acquainted with it!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Has anyone picked up any of those Korg Nano-series USB MIDI controllers yet? I'm seriously considering picking up the NanoPad and NanoKontrol ones just because they're so cheap and seem so easy to use.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Whoops. I appear to have just accidentally bought one of these:

At least I got it for around half retail price.

Um, anyone want it?

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League
I love birthdays!

Just bought these two wonderful pedals:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In my quest to spend way more than I'll ever earn at music, I've bought a Peavey Classic 50 212. The guy had BOTH models (410 and 212). I've had three 410s and sold each one, so I figure I'll try the 212 and see how that one flies.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I used it at a gig on Saturday. drat drat I love me these amps. I might go back and buy the other one just because.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

In my quest to spend way more than I'll ever earn at music, I've bought a Peavey Classic 50 212. The guy had BOTH models (410 and 212). I've had three 410s and sold each one, so I figure I'll try the 212 and see how that one flies.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I used it at a gig on Saturday. drat drat I love me these amps. I might go back and buy the other one just because.

Considering what he's selling them to you for I'd get on that with a quickness. Then get an A/B box and run them both at the same time :awesome:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Awhile back I posted that I got some FuzzHuggers in for review, well, the review's up now if you want to check it out. Unfortunately no clips yet, I've been to busy to do it right but they'll be coming in the following week.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Catastrophe posted:

Heck yes. That is awesome.

As for me, I am happy because my haggard looking FZ-2 showed up today.

It took me years to fall back in love with my FZ-2 but its never been better. Good deal!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux posted:

Just FYI to anyone looking at buying either of these they are both fantastic.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
Stop gloating! Us regular people with limited disposable funds have to make due with the non prestige version of that guitar :(. Can't even get it in the awesome looking flame maple top in Europe.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Run Dodo Run posted:

Whoops. I appear to have just accidentally bought one of these:

Aaaaand I just bought a copy of Reaktor 5.

Got that for $100ish though, so I'm not too upset about that.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Stux posted:

Just FYI to anyone looking at buying either of these they are both fantastic.

How are you liking the cabs? I was thinking about buying something else with the head but I haven't heard anything about the 1x10s yet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Thoogsby posted:

How are you liking the cabs? I was thinking about buying something else with the head but I haven't heard anything about the 1x10s yet.

They're very nice, its not lacking bass or anything like that.

The whole setup sounds really nice, responsive and meaty. The distortion isn't quite enough for heavier metal though, but I think changing the stock RGA pups to a nice pair of hot BKPs might solve it :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Stux posted:

They're very nice, its not lacking bass or anything like that.

The whole setup sounds really nice, responsive and meaty. The distortion isn't quite enough for heavier metal though, but I think changing the stock RGA pups to a nice pair of hot BKPs might solve it :swoon:

I've been looking at the warpig. I finally got my tax return Saturday and once I can get out from all this snow I'll go deposit it. Probably going to pick up an Agile Ghost and I was planning on putting EMGs in it but I've been thinking it might be worth it to save up a little more scratch and splurge on some BKPs.