Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's not entirely true; a case could be made using a necessity defense, based on the circumstances. When the only other option is "kill yourself, behead yourself, and send your remains in care of a devil", things are pretty grim!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arctic Baldwin posted:

i read it as the way hero boy says it in freakazoid

Me too! V can now be summoned by the call of two castrated sumo wrestlers.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

bartolimu posted:

The true dick move would be to use that soul-takeover time to kill V's family as soon as s/he is done saving them. Assuming, of course, s/he doesn't do the whole imprison souls in gems and never give up control thing.

They could do that. It might be preferable to merely show V that his assumption was incorrect, while keeping the family alive.

"Excellent work slaying that dragon. Definitely a job to be proud of. Now, about the whole 'Having to wait until you're dead' issue. That was an assumption you made, not anything in the agreement. Now go, visit your family. Catch up. Do whatever it is elves do. That's your business. However, if you'd like to make arrangements to see your family with a guarantee that we won't...interfere...during the visit, we're amenable to further negotiation."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tripwood posted:

Since the fiends are only interested in tipping the balance towards evil and destroy the celestials, I wonder what the hell they want to use V for. Controlling the snarl at the last possible moment or something else?

I think you're looking for utility when you should be looking for recreation. I'd imagine it's the greatest of fun to gently caress with morals when you're a devil, demon or deamon. Especially a smarmy little elf who thinks it's out thought you, or at the very least believes itself your equal.

Besides, I'd imagine you can never have too much magic wielding fodder to wear down the defenses of the Celestials as you rampage your way across the planes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Couldn't V, upon getting the triple soul splice, just annihilate the IFCC?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

maltesh posted:

They could do that. It might be preferable to merely show V that his assumption was incorrect, while keeping the family alive.

"Excellent work slaying that dragon. Definitely a job to be proud of. Now, about the whole 'Having to wait until you're dead' issue. That was an assumption you made, not anything in the agreement. Now go, visit your family. Catch up. Do whatever it is elves do. That's your business. However, if you'd like to make arrangements to see your family with a guarantee that we won't...interfere...during the visit, we're amenable to further negotiation."

So eeeevil!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Pope Guilty posted:

He has more important things to do. And once he's done saving his family, the IFCC will be long gone.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tazman posted:

He has more important things to do. And once he's done saving his family, the IFCC will be long gone.

I imagine ripping a hole in the dimensional fabric and pursuing them should be cake with... what, something like 50+ caster levels?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pope Guilty posted:

I imagine ripping a hole in the dimensional fabric and pursuing them should be cake with... what, something like 50+ caster levels?

They could simply take control of his soul there and then.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

DoctorTristan posted:

They could simply take control of his soul there and then.

... What's to keep them from taking control of his soul right after he starts the splice?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Their word...

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Wow. Thematically, we're a very long way from 'Bluff, bluff, bluff the stupid ogre', aren't we?

Very nice character work from Mr Burlew.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Keyboard Fox posted:

... What's to keep them from taking control of his soul right after he starts the splice?

The deal is that they get his soul for as much time as he maintains the splice. If they took control the moment he starts, they'd each have control for like a second. They would want him to maintain it for as long as possible in order to maximize their return.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Pope Guilty posted:

Im guessing that the IFCC are betting that upon reaching his omnipotent powers, he'd be to busy jacking off to his newfound power to even remember who the IFCC was.

I really like them as characters, not only did they get him to take a faustian bargain, they managed to get him to do so for the purpose of sating his own ego. Instead of just furthering the cause of evil by getting people to agree to demonic pacts, they also encourage the worse character traits in people. The former just means catching people with their pants down, the latter is the sign of a true manipulative corrupter.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

Ashcans posted:

The deal is that they get his soul for as much time as he maintains the splice. If they took control the moment he starts, they'd each have control for like a second. They would want him to maintain it for as long as possible in order to maximize their return.

Couldn't they force him to maintain it?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Keyboard Fox posted:

Couldn't they force him to maintain it?

Admittedly the demon and yugoloth might not have any such constraints, but in terms of devil law if a devil forces a mortal to carry out any of their obligations on a contract then the whole thing becomes null and void.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Shyrka posted:

Admittedly the demon and yugoloth might not have any such constraints, but in terms of devil law if a devil forces a mortal to carry out any of their obligations on a contract then the whole thing becomes null and void.

The point of a contract is that you can force someone to abide by it's terms. They can't force him to maintain the splice once he decides not to, they can force him to serve for the amount of time he used the splice. Otherwise a mortal could just say "I don't want to give you my soul" and trying to force the issue would null the contract.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
This is so goddamned badass. Now I want to play V.

Click here for the full 703x933 image.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
They're right, you can't pull a One-Winged Angel routine without ominious Latin nonsense chanted in the background.

Mister Burke
Jan 29, 2009

by Ozma
I like how Jephton the Unhloy is kind of vomiting out squares.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"Tear down creation just to see if you can!" strikes a really good tone for a power mad Sorcerer, actually!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Holy crap I was not expecting an update this soon. This is so loving cool. And it's a god drat D&D strip with stick figures.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
alright, for all the dragon-planned-ahead-and-made-V-do-it talk, I'm not buying it. I'm sticking with a straightforward dragon-didn't-know-and-will-get-her-rear end-kicked plot. Because it involves less talky talky and more zappy zappy. I wanna see some fireworks after all that bureaucratic stuff (fun as it was)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I love how Jephton just looks so happy.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
You know, I have thought of something . . . when V appears home to depose of the dragon, she'll still look totally evil. Assuming the children are still alive, they suddenly see "Other Parent" in this form, as well as with a couple of evil peoples souls in her possession. Would this not freak them right the hell out?
I know this is kind of a back-track from everyone else (Read: Uberly complicated), but wouldn't it be kind of hilarious (In a dark sort of way) that the only real thing that happens is they see the parent like this and are scarred for life, as opposed to any other repercussion?

Of course, it seems stupider now that I have actually typed it out, but I figure I'll put it out there. It wouldn't be the first time something completely retarded was correct.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyre_89 posted:

You know, I have thought of something . . . when V appears home to depose of the dragon, she'll still look totally evil. Assuming the children are still alive, they suddenly see "Other Parent" in this form, as well as with a couple of evil peoples souls in her possession. Would this not freak them right the hell out?
I know this is kind of a back-track from everyone else (Read: Uberly complicated), but wouldn't it be kind of hilarious (In a dark sort of way) that the only real thing that happens is they see the parent like this and are scarred for life, as opposed to any other repercussion?

Of course, it seems stupider now that I have actually typed it out, but I figure I'll put it out there. It wouldn't be the first time something completely retarded was correct.

Yup. V's family is gonna think that V fell to the dark side and be terrified, and V is going to be mortified, and it's going to probably be sad.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Yup. V's family is gonna think that V fell to the dark side and be terrified, and V is going to be mortified, and it's going to probably be sad.
I doubt it. Judging by his rationale in the previous comic, she'll say "Well at least they're alive, that's all that matters."

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I wonder by which plane's reckoning if time they will determine how long V has those souls under control. A day in the Prime Material can be a year in some parts of the Abyss, or so my 2nd Edition Planescape boxed set told me.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

bartolimu posted:

I wonder by which plane's reckoning if time they will determine how long V has those souls under control. A day in the Prime Material can be a year in some parts of the Abyss, or so my 2nd Edition Planescape boxed set told me.

Also remember the few days Roy spent in the celestial realm equaled months in the real world.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HKR posted:

Also remember the few days Roy spent in the celestial realm equaled months in the real world.
They were months, he just had no internal or external ways to sense time passing and everything was so perfect and joyous that the time flew by. They were pretty explicit about that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

CapnAndy posted:

They were months, he just had no internal or external ways to sense time passing and everything was so perfect and joyous that the time flew by. They were pretty explicit about that.

My mistake.

That being said, it took over ten minutes to figure out that I was wrong. Rich really needs to just kill his forums, which are a vast wasteland of vapid D&D nerd circle-jerking.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nosy_G posted:

I doubt it. Judging by his rationale in the previous comic, she'll say "Well at least they're alive, that's all that matters."

Uh... Yeah, I'm sure never being able to see his mate and children is gonna just be a "Eh. Whatever." moment...

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nosy_G posted:

Assuming they actually survive. He stated in the last strip that V won't be able to replicate divine magic. That's about as blatant as "If you should happen to kill someone during your power trip, there will be no resurrecting them."

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

DoctorTristan posted:

Assuming they actually survive. He stated in the last strip that V won't be able to replicate divine magic. That's about as blatant as "If you should happen to kill someone during your power trip, there will be no resurrecting them."

Raise dead counts as a divine magic? I thought that the no divine clause was so s/he couldn't zap any demons.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

tripwood posted:

Raise dead counts as a divine magic? I thought that the no divine clause was so s/he couldn't zap any demons.

I thought it did, but it's been long time.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

D20srd.org posted:

Raise Dead
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 5
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Since only Clerics get it, there's no Arcane version. Therefore, it only exists as a Divine spell.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

DoctorTristan posted:

He may not be able to raise them himself, but he can certainly teleport to someone who can (and should even be able to use wish or epic magic to create the material component).

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

seaborgium posted:

The point of a contract is that you can force someone to abide by it's terms. They can't force him to maintain the splice once he decides not to, they can force him to serve for the amount of time he used the splice. Otherwise a mortal could just say "I don't want to give you my soul" and trying to force the issue would null the contract.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant but I probably didn't word it very well. I was actually thinking of an example that comes up in Mask of the Betrayer.

Young wizard makes a deal with a devil where he performs various actions (typically evil ones) in exchange for corresponding boons. If he performs all the actions on the contract then his soul belongs to the devil.

One of his boons was for 'a wish of limited proportions'. As far as he knew he never used that one up. But the last task on the contract was for him to kill someone in exchange for awesome arcane power - when confronted by his master about his other evil acts the apprentice claims, "I ducked and wished he'd go away! When I looked up he was gone." The devil holding the contract fully admits to having disintegrated the master, claiming that he only did so based on the apprentice's wish, which therefore fulfills the apprentice's obligation to kill someone.

Once you point out the exact wording of the wish and that the devil had therefore overstepped his bounds, he has to concede that the contract is now worthless and he has no hold over the apprentice.

There's some stuff in Fiendish Codex II as well that covers this, as well as the appeals process involved.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Shyrka posted:

There's some stuff in Fiendish Codex II as well that covers this, as well as the appeals process involved.

I'm hoping that everything will work out during a battle between Celia and the IFCC's legal team over some sort of loophole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Since only Clerics get it, there's no Arcane version. Therefore, it only exists as a Divine spell.

quote:

Wish
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, XP
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: See text
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Wish is the mightiest spell a wizard or sorcerer can cast. By simply speaking aloud, you can alter reality to better suit you.
Even wish, however, has its limits.
A wish can produce any one of the following effects.
(snip)
• Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level.
• Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event. The wish forces a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s successful critical hit (either the attack roll or the critical roll), a friend’s failed save, and so on. The reroll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)
Duplicated spells allow saves and spell resistance as normal (but save DCs are for 9th-level spells).
Material Component: When a wish duplicates a spell with a material component that costs more than 10,000 gp, you must provide that component.
XP Cost: The minimum XP cost for casting wish is 5,000 XP. When a wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay 5,000 XP or that cost, whichever is more. When a wish creates or improves a magic item, you must pay twice the normal XP cost for crafting or improving the item, plus an additional 5,000 XP.

Uh...