Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Ripper
Jul 6, 2004
OUT OF KEITH'S?!?

yoyomama posted:

I can't give much advice, but I thought I'd say a bit.

As far as animation is concerned, if you're thinking that you don't want to do it, then don't. It's a pretty good field, and it would be a decent career move money-wise, but it's not for the faint of heart. With that said, there is a lot that goes into the animation process, and you may find out that you want to work at an animation studio, but not as an animator per say. If you like illustration, just focus on becoming a storyboard artist, or something similar.

As far as comics go, I'm in a similar boat as you. I would say that, if you get the chance, go to a comic convention and talk to the comic artists there and get some ideas of how to do comics, what it takes to get published, etc. I did that last year when I went to New York Comic Con, and I had a blast, and learned a lot. If you can't go to a con, then look up artists' blogs online and email them, or find them on forums.

I'm no expert so don't take my word on this. I think that you should try to go to the best school you can, but at the end of the day it depends on you. No degree will get you a job if you don't have the talent. So just focus on getting a protfolio together and developing your ability in whatever way you can. Don't let your finances hold you back. If you want to go to Sheridan, then take the time to save up the money and get things in your life together so that you can go. With that said, you don't need to go to Sheridan to pursue an artistic career. Artists need to be resourceful, so you've got to work with what you've got.

Don't worry about screwing up further. As a fellow screwer-upper, I see your point, but you just have to move forward without fear, and do what you love and learn how to balance it out with being realistic about your life situation. If you want to try to do graphic design just as a backup, don't do it. There are a ton of graphic designers out there, and with all the competition and your heart not in it, it just won't pan out in the long term. The most employable skills you can have are the ones that you enjoy, and there's no point in building a bunch of skills just to get a job that you don't like.

I'll stop rambling now. I hope at least some of this helps.

Thanks for the reply, didn't catch this til later on.

I let the application deadline to Sheridan lapse. Either way I need a year off to work. I'm pretty much settled on the UW option, as it works best for me, I think. Life decisions is tough.

Meanwhile, I've ensured basically everyone I know knows I'm the go-to guy for any art services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
I have a predicament.

I am currently taking my second semester off of school. Last semester I was hired as an intern to go film for a media-based company overseas. I guess I did a good job, because I was hired on as a full-time Production Assistant. After being hired, they quickly found out that I was actually planning on becoming a Graphic Designer, and now I am not only filming and editing, but also doing a lot of animation and print work. We also have a low employee count, and some of the OGs are soon moving on. This means its just me and another designer doing pretty much everything.

My original plan was to go back to school in the Fall. But I was going to community college, and am nowhere near getting my bachelor's. At least 2.5-3 years left. And at the rate I'm going right now, I think I'll have built up a pretty decent, diverse portfolio in six months to a year. Also, our ex-lead designer left for a job offer of 120k per year, no degree. But he's the poo poo.

My question is, do I really need school? I like school, I just don't know if it would be a waste of time and money. Can I get a job if I have a professional portfolio, but no degree? Professors told me that having a degree gets you more money, but I don't really care much for that.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

JimmyStewart posted:

I have a predicament.

I am currently taking my second semester off of school. Last semester I was hired as an intern to go film for a media-based company overseas. I guess I did a good job, because I was hired on as a full-time Production Assistant. After being hired, they quickly found out that I was actually planning on becoming a Graphic Designer, and now I am not only filming and editing, but also doing a lot of animation and print work. We also have a low employee count, and some of the OGs are soon moving on. This means its just me and another designer doing pretty much everything.

My original plan was to go back to school in the Fall. But I was going to community college, and am nowhere near getting my bachelor's. At least 2.5-3 years left. And at the rate I'm going right now, I think I'll have built up a pretty decent, diverse portfolio in six months to a year. Also, our ex-lead designer left for a job offer of 120k per year, no degree. But he's the poo poo.

My question is, do I really need school? I like school, I just don't know if it would be a waste of time and money. Can I get a job if I have a professional portfolio, but no degree? Professors told me that having a degree gets you more money, but I don't really care much for that.

Since you're earning a living and don't have much pressure to finish your degree in a hurry, why don't you just take one or two classes at a time? You may not care about having a higher earning potential now, but you might in the future. It sounds like you're doing great work with your company though, so no matter what you decide about school keep doing what you're doing at work. Not everybody makes as much out of an internship as you did.

DriveMeCrazy
Dec 7, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm planning to type up my resume (which has hospitality work only, went to a good high school but got bad marks) and send it, along with a cover letter, to whatever publishers/magazines/editors I can find in my city, addressed personally to their HR guy (or just the HR department if I cant find a name).

The letter would say something like "Hello I am looking for a job, I am well-read with a passion for literature. I have good computer skills and if you have any available entry-level openings in any department I believe I would make a competent and enthusiastic employee" blah blah.

Obviously phrased better, but the concept is there -- just send out a cover letter with my resume (although there's nothing relevant on it) to all the publishers I can find.

Is this a waste of my time, a waste of their time (and annoying people who would advertise if they had job openings), or one of those "couldn't hurt, maybe you'll get lucky" situations?

Edit: I figure I'm so unqualified that if I want a job outside of hospitality I'd be getting 'helpdesk' style work regardless of what industry I choose to join, so I may as well join an industry where any advancement actually puts me closer to something I'll enjoy.

DriveMeCrazy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 10, 2009

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I know this has probably been asked a lot but what are some good art schools for visual effects? I'm currently at GSU (they have no program even similar to VFX) and I intended on transferring to SCAD because i know they are top notch in this field but the tuition is just too drat high. What are some other good options?

(note: they don't necessarily have to be in Georgia or even the south)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

DriveMeCrazy posted:

I'm planning to type up my resume (which has hospitality work only, went to a good high school but got bad marks) and send it, along with a cover letter, to whatever publishers/magazines/editors I can find in my city, addressed personally to their HR guy (or just the HR department if I cant find a name).

The letter would say something like "Hello I am looking for a job, I am well-read with a passion for literature. I have good computer skills and if you have any available entry-level openings in any department I believe I would make a competent and enthusiastic employee" blah blah.

Obviously phrased better, but the concept is there -- just send out a cover letter with my resume (although there's nothing relevant on it) to all the publishers I can find.

Is this a waste of my time, a waste of their time (and annoying people who would advertise if they had job openings), or one of those "couldn't hurt, maybe you'll get lucky" situations?

Edit: I figure I'm so unqualified that if I want a job outside of hospitality I'd be getting 'helpdesk' style work regardless of what industry I choose to join, so I may as well join an industry where any advancement actually puts me closer to something I'll enjoy.
I hate to break it to you but having a passion for literature is like writing in to a publishing company and saying "Why yes, I have a pulse."

Unless you're in bumblefuck west, not having a college degree (or any relevant experience whatsoever) is going to kill you. Especially if you got bad marks in high school. What have you proven to them about your ability to do the work? Everyone knows an English degree doesn't prepare people to work at publishing companies but let's be honest there are thousands of English graduates out there looking. Why hire someone without?

There are two ways this scheme might work. 1: You have documentable office experience. 2: Your mom is a famous author.

If you still insist on sending out your resume don't just give a blanket plea for any job. Look up who the publishers are and go to their website to see if they have openings. Publishers are not the kind of company that hires even 1 more person than they need. (can't afford it)

tldr: I can't pay the bills yet/cuz I have no skills yet. Get office experience as a front desk jockey in a service industry or look into unpaid internships.

DriveMeCrazy
Dec 7, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Defenestration posted:

tldr: I can't pay the bills yet/cuz I have no skills yet. Get office experience as a front desk jockey in a service industry or look into unpaid internships.

That's fair enough, I wasn't expecting much. How do people generally get jobs? Family connections and just getting lucky on a CV-mailing spree after graduating with an arts/journalism degree?

I want to do an arts degree starting second semester 2009 but would entering and placing in writing competitions help, or is that more relevant towards actual writing than publishing?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

DriveMeCrazy posted:

That's fair enough, I wasn't expecting much. How do people generally get jobs? Family connections and just getting lucky on a CV-mailing spree after graduating with an arts/journalism degree?

I want to do an arts degree starting second semester 2009 but would entering and placing in writing competitions help, or is that more relevant towards actual writing than publishing?
If you're looking to be a writer then absolutely, you should be sending your work out all over. I don't personally agree with contests (where I have to pay a "reading fee" or whatever) but that's not to say they are all scams.

Winning writing contests will not get you full time jobs. Doing internships will. It's a great time for unpaid interns right now because economy :supaburn: and all. When you start your degree, put in your time at on-campus publications, or the podunk hometown newspaper.

It took me three months and 30 cover letters to get my first publishing job (a paid internship that became full-time).

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

LKL posted:

I know this has probably been asked a lot but what are some good art schools for visual effects? I'm currently at GSU (they have no program even similar to VFX) and I intended on transferring to SCAD because i know they are top notch in this field but the tuition is just too drat high. What are some other good options?

(note: they don't necessarily have to be in Georgia or even the south)

Ugh the area is just not worth the pricetag. I just got back from spending a horrible semester at SCAD and now I'm back in Massachusetts.

I'd recommend VFS if you're seriously looking to get into the VSFX field. They spit out amazing portfolios and demo reels and I hear their students get picked up at SIGGRAPH all the time.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Akaikami posted:

Ugh the area is just not worth the pricetag. I just got back from spending a horrible semester at SCAD and now I'm back in Massachusetts.

I'd recommend VFS if you're seriously looking to get into the VSFX field. They spit out amazing portfolios and demo reels and I hear their students get picked up at SIGGRAPH all the time.

I'd be going to the Atlanta campus, not Savannah if i did go. VFS looks like a nice place, but are there any more places in the country?

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel

Slashie posted:

Since you're earning a living and don't have much pressure to finish your degree in a hurry, why don't you just take one or two classes at a time? You may not care about having a higher earning potential now, but you might in the future. It sounds like you're doing great work with your company though, so no matter what you decide about school keep doing what you're doing at work. Not everybody makes as much out of an internship as you did.

Thanks for the advice. Every day I seem to like SomethingAwful more and more.

ExonerateMind
Jun 21, 2006

There are times when it is a source of personal pride not to be human.
I'd like to settle something about Full Sail being accredited.

They aren't. They now offer a Master's degree, so they can call themselves a "University" so it is now Full Sail University, formerly "Full Sail Real World Education". They are not accredited on the same level as a four year university and probably never will be, apparently the requirements for them to become fully accredited would make their accelerated program impossible. I know this because I spoke to an adviser about it and she begrudgingly admitted I was correct in my assumptions.

That being said, I am attending Full Sail for Computer Animation at the moment. I have no problems with the school really, but I work well with tight deadlines and being under pressure. I go out of my way to find out exactly how and when things need to be turned in and I spend an average of 4 hours each day after 8 hours of school doing more work. However, I am doing it because I enjoy it, not because I have to in order to meet deadlines. There are some classes that require you to work at home, but doesn't every school have homework assignments? It just seems like a lot when you are at school 40 hours a week.

Full Sail is pretty expensive, in fact their tuition just increased again for the second time since I've been attending. I often hear about people getting turned down for loans, but that probably has more to do with the economy. Regardless, those people owe about $25,000 with nothing really to show for it.

As far as Full Sail being a good school, it is if you can work your rear end off and still smile at the end of the day. Sometimes it gets taxing, but I am also getting a bachelor's in 21 months. Granted, it's not accredited like a normal 4 year, but I doubt someone would turn me down as long as I have A degree and a kick rear end demo reel/resume.

About the career placement, I don't know, I've heard bad things about how little work they do for you, but I am not relying on them to get me a job. I already know of several websites to find jobs, have seen several listings for my career focus and a website dedicated to freelance jobs with tons of listings. If you can do the work, and you have half a brain you should be able to find a job. It might not be the best job right out of school, but the better jobs require at least 2-3 years of experience anyway.

My advice for prospective Full Sail students: think about 40 hrs of school a week, and think how much time you need to spend dicking off each day. If you think you would get tired of that, don't go. You will fall behind and waste a lot of money. If you like working under pressure and want to be immersed in your chosen craft, it may be for you. Good luck.

Mansurus
Aug 7, 2007

by The Finn
I just moved to the Wilkes-barre / Scranton, PA area - and to put it kindly, this place is dead. I would love to start getting serious about photography (and plan to apply to schools for the fall). However, i'm not quite sure where to start and what it proper etiquette.

Ideally i'd like to start working as an assistant to any sort of photographer. I've seen online a few studios and working photographers - and i've thought about calling to see if they need an assistant (i wouldn't mind starting free either). However, i'm not sure if this is proper, or if making visits to the studios would be more / less so. Would emailing them be better? How would i know if a photographer even would need an assistant?

I've worked as an assistant to a photographer shooting interior design for about 5 months, and i've worked as a photography lab assistant at a college for about 6 months (i have my AA from there).

I know a fair bit, and have a lot of passion - but i still lack what i think are enough skills and equipment to start freelancing on my own.

I've also applied to a mall portrait studio, but there are only a few in the area and i'd much rather work in the field with experienced photographers.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Would working for a place like a sign shop or Kinko's, which does some large-format printing and binding, be of any use while I go after the kind of job I'm really looking for? I see plenty of places in my city that do printing, but they're only tangentially related to design, at best.

Being a waiter is a decent source of income, but it adds nothing to my resume, and there aren't many opportunities for freelance stuff in my area, either.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

Would working for a place like a sign shop or Kinko's, which does some large-format printing and binding, be of any use while I go after the kind of job I'm really looking for? I see plenty of places in my city that do printing, but they're only tangentially related to design, at best.

Being a waiter is a decent source of income, but it adds nothing to my resume, and there aren't many opportunities for freelance stuff in my area, either.
Lots of really great designers I know have advised I work at a print shop for a little while to gain experience with actually printing stuff on actual printers - I think taking the piss out of designers working at print shops is a bit of a cliche because I realised that as a print designer I know next-to-nothing about actually printing stuff =/

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression

KittenofDoom posted:

I worked at Kinko's a couple of years ago (2ish). All design work was outsourced to an Indian company. We would send them specs and get something back 48 hours later. Then we fixed the spelling errors and printed it.

Kinko's IS good for learning a little about how stuff gets printed and about how not to gently caress it up. The "official" training you get involves saying the store name when a customer comes in and making double sided 8.5x11 copies. This is why everyone gets burned when they take their design class final project there.

Also, no one cares if you gently caress up. I once cut a customer's hand-made recipie book (that was supposed to be a wedding present) completely in half and the manager didn't really care.

It is also good for getting free copies. Get a job there if you would enjoy charging someone $15 to send a 5 page fax.

Juneko
Aug 31, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

I'd say look for something that's a step or two up from Kinko's, go where the designers go to get proofs done or large documents printed. Might be worth it to call around and ask where they get their work printed. This would also help you to get to know about paper choices and different modes of printing that Kinko's doesn't really offer.

Peggle Fever
Sep 21, 2005

shake it

KittenofDoom posted:

I'd recommend checking out some of the small printers in your area, if any. I worked for a small printing company throughout college, and it was a great learning experience. If you can find a job where you can do some in house design work along with learning prepress, you will pick up a ton of useful knowledge for the future. Honestly I learned way more about design and production working there then I did in my courses in college.

It's amazing how many print designers know next to nothing about the production side of things, and I'd say the skills you gain and the experience are well worth it and better for your resume then working outside the field.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Peggle Fever posted:

It's amazing how many print designers know next to nothing about the production side of things, and I'd say the skills you gain and the experience are well worth it and better for your resume then working outside the field.
Ah thanks for that. I loved my production class in college, but it taught very basic stuff and I wasn't sure there would be any real benefit. I'll give it a try. Thanks goons!

SeymourGlass
Nov 26, 2008
Anyone know of any opportunities in video and post production? My last job as an editor was not recession proof. Thanks.

SeymourGlass fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 24, 2009

hac
Oct 21, 2005
I'm an anthropology with minors in economics and philosophy. Art's been a hobby for the past six or seven years, with the occasional freelance gig, but I've been getting really into it lately. I'm hoping to intern for Atlantic Records art department over the summer.

Right now I'm considering my options for study abroad, and what I really want to do is forget about the anthropology for now and go to the Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam for a semester. I'll probably have to pick up a few summer classes to graduate on time, but that doesn't bother me. How feasible is this? How amazing will my portfolio have to be to get accepted considering I have almost no formal background in art?

Bloody Seppo
Apr 12, 2005

Gentlemen... Behold!
The only post highschool education I've completed was a 10 month Audio Technology Diploma from SAE.

I was going to do photography at SCAD in Savannah, but I bailed out after there were 5 shootings in one day (not to mention every apartment was a piece of crap with dead roaches everywhere).

I'm going to the Hallmark Institute of Photography this September (another 10 month program) to get myself fully up to speed on my photography skills, so I can feel completely confident in freelancing, should I not be able to land a job with a company.

So right now I've got a good 6 months with nothing to do, and I haven't even been able to land a job delivering pizzas (my last job). I've applied to every local portrait studio I've been able to find, but to no avail. I'm wondering what my options are for employment, or what the best use of the next 6 months would be. The best idea I've got right now is to do freelance senior portraits and build up a collection of stock photos.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jereso
Jul 13, 2008
Alright, I'm sorry that I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm in a bit of a rush.

I am a 16 year old kid in High School (Junior) and I am an amateur web designer. I've gotten a lot of praise on my only real design, which is my High School's web site. http://www.stcharles.k12.mo.us/schigh/

I am the only one who updates the design and most of the other parts of the site. I had one person help me a little, but he graduated early and went into the army.

I've made a lot of changes on the site in the past 5 days, like support for Non-CSS browsers and such. I know there are coding and design mistakes, but I have to keep it at a level where my other 2 peers can edit it.

Regardless, I'm in a bit of a bind for what career to follow. I have a great interest in both Graphic/Web Design and IT. I recently became friends with my schools IT manager and he's giving me an in school internship for next year while I go to Lewis and Clark Tech school for Computer Maintenance and Networking, where I can get my A+ Cert for free.

I've been hired for a freelance job for a science fair, and it was a lackadaisical job. Today I just got laid off due to fund cuts. drat you recession, you're not supposed to affect me directly until I'm a tax payer! They only need me now to update PDFs and such.

I know I'm skipping a lot of details, but once again, in a rush.

I just want to know some advice on some schools for Graphic/Web Design. SCAD was a possibility, until the whole shooting fiasco; and the fact it's Georgia, I can't stand humidity.

Money, of course, is an issue, but everyone will be in student loans sooner or later if you go into that field. As long as is it doesn't break the bank (At least the ones that aren't already broken, hehehe.)

Also, I was wondering where to post for you guys to give me a review of how I did on my school site. Which forum would be the most appropriate?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Bloody Seppo posted:

I was going to do photography at SCAD in Savannah, but I bailed out after there were 5 shootings in one day (not to mention every apartment was a piece of crap with dead roaches everywhere).

I'm going to the Hallmark Institute of Photography this September (another 10 month program) to get myself fully up to speed on my photography skills, so I can feel completely confident in freelancing, should I not be able to land a job with a company.

Haha yes, ancient towns in the south are full of roaches. All of the violence in Savannah is gang-on-gang so unless you join a gang and/or are a loving retard nothing is going to happen to you (although I'm curious where you heard about the 5 shootings thing, I have friends there and didn't hear about that.. sometimes I miss the old hood).

Also I hate to break it to you but Hallmark is not going to prepare you for freelancing and there are zero staff jobs working for companies unless you want to work at Uncle Bob's Portrait Studio shooting 3 year olds 8 hours a day. If you are the type of person who can start a freelance photo career in the current lovely market after 10 months of training you don't need Hallmark.

Hallmark/Brooks/similar school grads are a dime a dozen and I have yet to really meet any that had a clue or work worth taking a second look at. The ones who are actually any good all think their education was a waste of money and learned what they know through assisting or whatever (according to them). I have hired a few as assistants and they were all terrible, and have worked on jobs with a few as an assistant myself and I had to carry their weight because none of them could be trusted to set up even a light stand without having their hand held.

edit: I'm not trashing Hallmark or anything just sayin' my experience with their grads. I think it's beneficial to a very small amount of people and everyone else is wasting their money. The technical schools churn out grads as fast as they can and those programs are not really comparable to a 4 year art school (not that a 4 year art school degree guarantees anything, because it doesn't). If you think you are going to spend 10 months at Hallmark and then land a job at a company shooting (what kind of mythical job would that be? it doesn't exist!) and are going to freelance as a "backup plan" then your expectations are way, way off from the reality of the photo industry.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 3, 2009

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression

Jereso posted:

I have a great interest in both Graphic/Web Design and IT.

I think a lot of people (including me) are going to tell you to pick one.

The further along you go, the less you're going to see people who do web design AND web development.

If you go into a technical field (IT), it's going to be increasingly difficult to keep up with the design side of things.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
What's the best way to layout a portfolio that will be sent via email? I have a lot of photos to show, but not sure how to split them up. I was considering making a powerpoint that has a photo on each slide, but I am not sure how many categories to use or what to put in there. I have photojournalistic, landscapes, portraits, and many abstracts... not sure if all of them should go in there. Any advice or guides on how I should go about forming my portfolio?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to layout a portfolio that will be sent via email? I have a lot of photos to show, but not sure how to split them up. I was considering making a powerpoint that has a photo on each slide, but I am not sure how many categories to use or what to put in there. I have photojournalistic, landscapes, portraits, and many abstracts... not sure if all of them should go in there. Any advice or guides on how I should go about forming my portfolio?

The ones I see from photography agencies are always PDFs with the photographer's details and five or six pictures as a sample.

Filesize-wise, you can't send much more than that by email anyway.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Yeah PDF is the only thing I have ever seen. A lot of people are on Macs and don't have Powerpoint or other MS software.

For what to include I would narrow it down to a client-specific portfolio, ie. only send your portraits to people who hire portrait photographers (and don't include anything else) and only send photojournalism examples to newspapers.. people only want to see what they need and nothing else. 10ish is a nice number, but do whatever you can get away with file-size wise.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

marshmallard posted:

helpful information

brad industry posted:

helpful information

Thanks for the advice. You can make a good pdf in Photoshop, right? Or do you need Illustrator? I have access to both, but I haven't touched Illustrator that much.

I am trying to avoid working with pdfs soon by getting a website up and running, I am hoping to have a classmate in my senior seminar class design one (he does some kickass work), but I still need to work things out with that.

Jereso
Jul 13, 2008

Smear Campaign posted:

I think a lot of people (including me) are going to tell you to pick one.

The further along you go, the less you're going to see people who do web design AND web development.

If you go into a technical field (IT), it's going to be increasingly difficult to keep up with the design side of things.

One more thing, I have just been accepted to the Lewis and Clark Tech school for next year, so let me bring down my schedule for next year.

I have 2 alternating days, which are A and B. These days have 4 classes, about 80 minutes each, so 8 classes all together. Tech school takes 2 class periods on both mornings, so it takes 4 out of 8. I also have to take one more english class. Then I have 2 classes with my web design teacher to maintain the website and such. And I will have an in-school (unpaid) internship with my schools IT manager.

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
What is the market looking like for someone with little to no experience with Photoshop and indeed minimal experience with illustration programs? I do realistic illustrations, drawings, and portraits in pencil and other traditional media. I know the first thing I'd have to do is assemble a portfolio, but are there still any niches for old-school artists?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I am having a hard time filling in my resume (using the template from the OP). I have two columns, one for photography experience and one for other work experience. The problem is I have only had one photography based job, so that column is kind of small. Should I combine both sections, or should I fill in the Photography Experience column with stuff that isn't related to work, such as gallery showings, awards in photo competitions, etc?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I just got back from a successful design internship interview in San Francisco. It's unpaid and only two days a week, but they'll be taking care of my commute and food for the three+ months I'm there. It's an amazing office with relaxed gaming nerds like me.

It's been frequently and accurately pointed out that my portfolio doesn't excel in any particular field, but this position was a perfect fit for what I can do, including non-design skills.

I really appreciate all the advice I've gained from this thread. It's helped me maintain a sense of hopefulness even in my darkest times. Thanks everyone!

Dr. Lenin posted:

...should I fill in the Photography Experience column with stuff that isn't related to work, such as gallery showings, awards in photo competitions, etc?
Awards and show participation show up pretty well on a resume, even if they're only filler. I filled in my blank space with previous work history not related to design, and explained the relevant skills they taught me.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
This is what I have so far:

Click here for the full 759x986 image.

Obviously forgot to put in my second reference, that has been fixed now.

I tried combining a one and two column layout - is this hideous, or does it still function as a well laid out page? I like the two column design, but I have more information in some areas and so little in others that it makes it look unbalanced currently. I am thinking of giving this layout a go until I get my feet more wet, so to speak.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 11, 2009

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

Dr. Lenin posted:

This is what I have so far:

Click here for the full 759x986 image.

Obviously forgot to put in my second reference, that has been fixed now.

I tried combining a one and two column layout - is this hideous, or does it still function as a well laid out page? I like the two column design, but I have more information in some areas and so little in others that it makes it look unbalanced currently. I am thinking of giving this layout a go until I get my feet more wet, so to speak.

I am turned off by the combination of the two columns. When I look at same's original design, I can easily go through column one, then column two. My eyes are not sure where to go, or the hierarchy of elements in your resume. Also keep in mind that you are not glued into laying out elements just like in the example. You can condense your work experience back into one column and move Education and References into the other column. Or any other combination of different arrangements. You should figure out what elements and layout are important to you. Good luck breaking into the photography world!

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

I just wanted to plug my school...
I am 21, went to UCLA for design but wasn't really happy with my program. I travelled a bit, worked at a web design firm in France, then moved back to Cali and started attending Art Center.
Love this school. The workload is insane, but you quickly adapt to it. I think it really is like a factory for good art and design. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me about it. The school's theory regarding admissions is lax, they let you in and it's sink or swim. You really have to want it in order to get through the programs.
My first term as a graphics student, my type teacher designed the FedEx logo, my communication design teacher was the president of the AIGA, and they really broke us down and built us up as young designers.
I guess I am writing this post because I had some sour experiences studying design in university and found something that fit well for me, I want more good designers at school, and I learned a lot of my foundation through these forums so I wanted to spread the word.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

meta² posted:

I just wanted to plug my school...
I am 21, went to UCLA for design but wasn't really happy with my program. I travelled a bit, worked at a web design firm in France, then moved back to Cali and started attending Art Center. ...
I have heard so many awesome things about Art Center. I really wish I had switched over like you did. Plus Pasadena is one of three cities in all of Southern California I didn't wish nuclear holocaust upon.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Can someone take a look at my CV? I just redesigned it (again), still not entirely happy with the copywriting at least (but I'd prefer it to be human than formal)

Click here for the full 595x842 image.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zurich posted:

Can someone take a look at my CV? I just redesigned it (again), still not entirely happy with the copywriting at least (but I'd prefer it to be human than formal)

Click here for the full 595x842 image.

Kind of gimmicky to me, some blurbs about what you did for all of these clients are probably a lot more interesting to employers than your education or a lot of whitespace. Layout-wise your horizontal and vertical spacing are pretty disjointed. Kill the yellow text. It's unreadable on screen and will probably print out green.

I'm confused by the fact that you're going to get an honors BA in 2011?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

qirex posted:

Kind of gimmicky to me, some blurbs about what you did for all of these clients are probably a lot more interesting to employers than your education or a lot of whitespace. Layout-wise your horizontal and vertical spacing are pretty disjointed. Kill the yellow text. It's unreadable on screen and will probably print out green.

I'm confused by the fact that you're going to get an honors BA in 2011?
I'm pretty sure it will print out yellow (and readable) because it's 100% Y, 10% K, but yeah :p

You think that about employers? I've cut down my education to the bare minimum - I go to a pretty prestigious uni, so that has to go there, and I'd like to show that I've been doing this for a few years before.

If I include what I did with every employer I'd be here all day sort of trying to say 'yeah I did a poster for them and a flyer for them and it sort of looked like uh...' when they can just go onto my website and actually see what I did for them. Bearing in mind I think CVs are retarded and only send them out when asked for one (with a covering letter clearly saying where to find my portfolio [which I think hasn't improved since I've been on this course, fwiw, I need to work on it])..

Last thing - UK degrees are 3 years :)