Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RotationSurgeon posted:

You see all this stuff about limbs? Ignore this. Shoot enemies in the head. It hurts more. The only time you ever shoot an enemy NOT in the head is if you either can't see their head or they have a weapon so deadly you feel you need to shoot the weapon. Or if they don't have a head. But seriously just go for headshots and you'll win; the game is never really that difficult.

Particularly when there is a perk that increases accuracy with rifles (there is one for pistols too), one that increases accuracy of headshots and one that increases accuracy with each subsequent VATS shot on the same body part. So target the head multiple times. There are (very) few occasions where you might want to target a weapon instead, aside from that if you can see the head you shoot the head...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All those perks are worthless now though because the patch accidentally made it so none of them actually work.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RBA Starblade posted:

All those perks are worthless now though because the patch accidentally made it so none of them actually work.

It reduced the accuracy in VATS across the board (and particularly for headshots), but as far as I'm aware they still work. Or at least the stated % chance to hit definately goes up on consecutive attacks on the same body part using that perk. This is on the Xbox 360 using a patched game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, the consecutive hits one works, but as far as I know the Sniper, Commando, and Gunslinger perks no longer give any bonuses to VATS on the PC version. Some people tested it by using the console to remove the perks and targeting the same guy in the same spot, there was no percentage difference.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

RotationSurgeon posted:

You see all this stuff about limbs? Ignore this. Shoot enemies in the head. It hurts more. The only time you ever shoot an enemy NOT in the head is if you either can't see their head or they have a weapon so deadly you feel you need to shoot the weapon. Or if they don't have a head. But seriously just go for headshots and you'll win; the game is never really that difficult.

If they have a grenade out, try and aim for that in VATS. Yes, you can shoot grenades out of their hands, and they will explode!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I'm just starting Final Fantasy V. What should I know (particularly regarding the jobs, I'd like to discover secrets and poo poo by myself)?

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!

NicktheBishop posted:

I'm just starting Final Fantasy V. What should I know (particularly regarding the jobs, I'd like to discover secrets and poo poo by myself)?

If you don't want to grind for cash, try to assign a type of armor to each of your characters. By this, I mean one would always get classes with heavy armor, one with medium/light, etc. and have that character stick to classes that use that armor. That way when they change classes they can keep using a lot of junk they just had equipped and you won't need to spend lots of money by new gear.

Also, berserkers are super broken.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

NicktheBishop posted:

Blue Magic is very useful if you get the spells as early as you can. Also bosses are usually susceptible to a status effect or two. If you're in a tough spot, there's no harm in giving L.5 Doom or Odin a try...

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
One more Fallout 3 question.

Thanks for all the quite comprehensive answers to my last question, that cleared everything up.

I just want to know if for the trophies/achievements that are quest related, are all those quests required for playthrough or does completing some of them exclude others from being able to be completed in one playthrough. I'm planning to play through twice, one for good/bad karma character. Will that cover everything in terms of quests?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NicktheBishop posted:

A thief will find the secret passages for you. Completely mastering a class will provide a big boost for your character, depending on the class.
Monks ruin any encounter and they are cheap (equipment-wise) as hell.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

RotationSurgeon posted:

One instance where targetting legs is worthwhile - you can build a dart gun from schematics that does 1000HP damage to a leg. Which makes it easy in VATS to cripple both legs of melee enemy so that they move very slow, like the death claw especially or a super mutant with a sledgehammer.

McKracken posted:

Thanks for all the quite comprehensive answers to my last question, that cleared everything up.

I just want to know if for the trophies/achievements that are quest related, are all those quests required for playthrough or does completing some of them exclude others from being able to be completed in one playthrough. I'm planning to play through twice, one for good/bad karma character. Will that cover everything in terms of quests?

"Strictly Business" is probably the only one to look out for on your evil playthrough. In doing other quests you can kill people essential to that one. Also, if you go exploring and fool around in the Jefferson Memorial you can prevent yourself from getting the achievement for the "Scientific Pursuits" quest like I did. So maybe you could read up on both these quests on fallout.wikia.com so you don't lose your chance to get them.

Also hoard all the nuka cola quantum you come across if you want to get all the quest achievements.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

One instance where targetting legs is worthwhile - you can build a dart gun from schematics that does 1000HP damage to a leg. Which makes it easy in VATS to cripple both legs of melee enemy so that they move very slow, like the death claw especially or a super mutant with a sledgehammer.

You don't have to hit them in the legs for this to happen.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Pocket Billiards posted:

"Strictly Business" is probably the only one to look out for on your evil playthrough. In doing other quests you can kill people essential to that one. Also, if you go exploring and fool around in the Jefferson Memorial you can prevent yourself from getting the achievement for the "Scientific Pursuits" quest like I did. So maybe you could read up on both these quests on fallout.wikia.com so you don't lose your chance to get them.

Also hoard all the nuka cola quantum you come across if you want to get all the quest achievements.

Many thanks. That's pretty much what I had to do with Oblivion because I was always afraid I was going to explore too far into an area before I was suppose to get there, altho I dont remember any specific instances of where it screwed up my game, but I had head about it happening.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McKracken posted:

Yes, but to get all achievements you need to play through three times: you need to hit X, Y, and Z levels with good, bad, and neutral karma for some (I think it's 8, 16, and level 20 but I forget).

The Angry Colossal
Dec 25, 2008

NicktheBishop posted:

The Freelancer will get the passive skills (ones not marked with !) of other jobs once you master them. This means things like dual-wielding and sprinting can be given to a class without using up a skill slot.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, but to get all achievements you need to play through three times: you need to hit X, Y, and Z levels with good, bad, and neutral karma for some (I think it's 8, 16, and level 20 but I forget).

Close, it's 8, 14 and 20. You can do it in two playthroughs like so (massive spoilers, obviously):

Get either all three good or all three neutral karma achievements on your first playthrough. Then, on the second, keep your karma at the level you didn't pick the first time round, and don't resolve the 'Power of the Atom' sidequest. When you're nearly at level 8 (and 14, and 20) make a save that will allow you to get back to Megaton without levelling up. Go back and detonate the bomb, setting your karma to the lowest possible level, then level up to 8 (14, 20) to get the bad karma achievement. Once done, reload the previous save and continue on to get the other missing achievements. Obviously you can mix and match good and neutral between playthroughs, but it's probably easiest to keep them separate.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Just play barely good and save before leveling up at each of the right levels. Then go to a town and slaughter the innocent to get the neutral and evil ones.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

NicktheBishop posted:

It's better to master jobs than to half-rear end them.

Most jobs are worth mastering. None are useless.

I turn one set of character in physical attackers and one into mages. Granted, for some jobs like Thief/Monk, you'll want to master the class on everyone, but the two ultimate builds are a magic build and a physical attack build.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Anonononomous posted:

Just play barely good and save before leveling up at each of the right levels. Then go to a town and slaughter the innocent to get the neutral and evil ones.

Alternatively, you can play as an evil character and go on a donation spree right before you level up. Giving twenty Purified Waters to a beggar or 1000 caps to a church will take you from pure evil to absolute neutral. Either way, it's not too hard to change your karma, just make sure to leave yourself a save with at least a few hundred exp to go.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Veritron posted:

It's better to master jobs than to half-rear end them.

Most jobs are worth mastering. None are useless.

I turn one set of character in physical attackers and one into mages. Granted, for some jobs like Thief/Monk, you'll want to master the class on everyone, but the two ultimate builds are a magic build and a physical attack build.

This is not quite true. During most of the game, it won't really matter. Unless you're No-class or Mimic, it doesn't matter whether Ninja is mastered or not, you'll still have to use your one ability slot on Two-Weapon if you want to dual-wield. Since most of the time you'll be assigning jobs to your characters to level up, you won't get any real benefit from mastery.

The only time mastering classes comes in handy is if you go No-class for important fights. In that case, you'll get the stat benefits from your best mastered class, and all the inherent abilities of mastered classes--since Ninjas automatically have Two-Weapon, a No-class character with Ninja mastered will also automatically have Two-Weapon. For your endgame, the objective best classes to have mastered are Monk (highest STR and STA modifier), Thief (highest speed modifier) and Summoner (highest magic modifier). Aside from those three, figure out which classes have inherent abilities you like and figure out what 2 (or 3, with Mimic) equippable abilities you'll want to use as No-class. Even if you're not trying to min-max, Monk is a good class to master for your fighters due to high HP and inherent Counter-attack, and the Archer's X-Attack is awesome as an equipped skill. Black Magic is also kinda weak in FF5, too. It gets a little overshadowed on damage by summoning spells, and its not nearly as versatile as summoning or time magic either.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Nate RFB posted:

Use the elevator when you get to the top of the lighthouse. You'll know what this means when you get there.

yes yes yes yes yes. i was fighting that fucker for an extra five minutes before i realized I had already beaten him. This game really gives a love/hate feeling through the whole thing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Znorps! posted:

yes yes yes yes yes. i was fighting that fucker for an extra five minutes before i realized I had already beaten him. This game really gives a love/hate feeling through the whole thing.

Also, once he's dead, go back up to the top of the lighthouse. It's worth it.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NicktheBishop posted:

Mastering classes is completely unnecessary and if you're smart you should never have to grind much or at all to beat the game. Don't be afraid to change jobs a lot. Two important notes for boss battles:

1. You can often nail them with a debilitating status effect
2. Each boss usually has a glaring weakness to a job or two.

pope_mabus
Jun 25, 2004

I killed Terri Schiavo and all I got was this lowsy custom title.
I'm starting Shadow of the Colossus today. Any suggestions on on how to get the most out of this game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pope_mabus posted:

I'm starting Shadow of the Colossus today. Any suggestions on on how to get the most out of this game?

If you see any white lizards, run to them and pick them up (I forget how). You'll munch on them and increase your grab meter. Also, using your sword will reveal the bosses' weak points, and it can be pretty useful. Some of the collosi are a little tricky though, and take some extra work rather than just climbing to a point and stab stab stab.

Other than that, the game is fairly self-explanatory. Don't rush everywhere, take in the surroundings, and enjoy the experience.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I just bought myself Dead Rising, and am kind of overwhelmed a little.

I just finished fighting Carlito in the food court, then was promptly overtaken by a gigantic crowd of zombies.

Any tips?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Secret Ooze posted:

I just finished fighting Carlito in the food court, then was promptly overtaken by a gigantic crowd of zombies.

Any tips?

Don't be afraid to start over.
You can't save everyone and wont be able to until you are lvl 40+
Dont bother using guns until they are in abundance near the end of the 2nd or is it 3rd day? (youll know when you get to this part)
Killing Adam gives you away around the Convicts.

Kent sucks. Kick his face in whenever you are goofing off and not playing seriously

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Kent sucks. Kick his face in whenever you are goofing off and not playing seriously

Funny you should say that, his laugh reminds me of a guy actually named Kent. I wasted a bit of time bouncing chairs and other goodies off his skull.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Secret Ooze posted:

Any tips?

Like blackguy32 said, the first thing to realize in Dead Rising is that it's natural to feel overwhelmed at the start. You're going to get killed, lose survivors, and frankly get a little frustrated before you finally get the hang of it. Restarts are your friend. As for crowds, the way to avoid confrontation comes naturally with some careful play; you can run right past most zombies that aren't facing your direction since they take a moment to turn around before they can lunge.

Also, tell your survivors where to go. The auto-follow will get them mauled pretty often, and you'd be surprised how competent they become at avoiding zombies once they have a destination.

As a more specific tip, every time you pass through the food court, it's worth it to grab all the wine you can carry. Wine is the best healing item in the game that doesn't require cooking. If you're got some injured survivors, the wine shop is also a great place to stop and heal everyone with the aforementioned wine because zombies rarely make their way up. It's an easy detour to make if you're going through the park once the gate between the food court and the way back to the security room is open.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2009

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

iamsmike posted:

Also, tell your survivors where to go. The auto-follow will get them mauled pretty often, and you'd be surprised how competent they become at avoiding zombies once they have a destination.

If you're in a situation where you can't use waypoints (typically when you're carrying a survivor), I find it helps to repeatedly hit the "follow me!" button, maybe once every few seconds. There are situations where a survivor's path will temporarily be blocked by another survivor, and I think hitting the button makes the survivor try again, as opposed to running off to find an alternate route.

Also, take some time (which you'll have, if you don't try to do everything) to explore the mall. If you beeline between objectives, you'll never learn where the awesome food and weapons are. Explore not just the stores, but also any hard-but-not-impossible to reach areas you notice. Try using everything as a weapon at least once, and remember that your only goal is to be back on the helipad in 72 hours -- everything else is optional.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Breakdown (Xbox)
Play on Easy. Normal mode is roughly comparable with Halo on Legendary. Hard mode is for masochists. Easy is roughly comparable to what Normal should be.

Do this. Don't ask, don't think you're good at fighting games, loving do it.

Do not quit at the lovely starting bit because of the terrible shooting and gently caress hard enemies before you get upgraded. The soldiers are boring, you get to beat up those aliens later on.
Do not quit at the loving long jumping section, the best bits of the game come after it and the genius devs let you replay it with super jump which makes it take about a minute
You have to run at the first Solus encounter, he's invincible. Dodge the mines.
When you see the torn up, covered in blood Alex (Alyx lol) during one of the hallucinations, kill her. She's actually a T'lan.
You're supposed to lose in the first Solus boss fight. You haven't done anything wrong.
When you get to the bit of the game where you lose your HUD, you can still see your health and T'langen by pausing.
The HADOOOKEN attack, while cool, is fairly poo poo.
Spam shockwave like a motherfucker when you get surrounded and in any bit which you find difficult Like the very last fight - the infamous nightmare room
A fully charged jump kick is excellent for taking down Heavies. Retreat and continue to use it. Do not engage more than one Heavy or they will use you as a loving toaster.
Every time you upgrade, your initially lovely Jan Lee forearm smash move gets better and better. By the time you get The Ultra Accelerator it hits about six times.

BlackIce
Nov 8, 2004

I'm about to replay Fallout 1 again, and I've recently heard there's a patch somewhere that adds in some cut content (apparently there is one for Fallout 2 too). I've had a look around and there seem to be a huge number of different unofficial patches - can anyone shed some light on which one this might be?

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

BlackIce posted:

I'm about to replay Fallout 1 again, and I've recently heard there's a patch somewhere that adds in some cut content (apparently there is one for Fallout 2 too). I've had a look around and there seem to be a huge number of different unofficial patches - can anyone shed some light on which one this might be?

I'd just play it safe and trust No Mutants Allowed's patch index for that.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

pope_mabus posted:

What the other guy said: Just relax, kick back, and enjoy it. It's not meant to be rushed, limit yourself to one or two colossi at a time. Take your time to appreciate little details, and if you're getting frustrated with a colossus, switch the game off and come back later. There are save temples close to every colossus, so you can restart without having to find him again. Try to find out the pattern for each one yourself, as it provides an great sense of accomplishment.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
A while ago, I bought Pathologic on GamersGate, played it up until the start of the second day, got distracted by another game, and eventually reinstalled Windows without backing up my saves. I was thinking of starting again, but I was wondering. Is it possible to totally screw yourself up and not realize it until nearly the end of the game? I mean, for example, missing something on day 2, and it making the game totally unwinnable in such a way that you don't find out until almost the end, or having the later parts of the game be impossible because you didn't stockpile something early on?

Also... without getting spoilery, is there anything else I need to know?

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

pope_mabus posted:

Just to elaborate on the white-tailed lizards (shoot them and eat the tail with R1), you're always guaranteed to find one at a new save point, either on the stone or somewhere nearby. In addition, there are some trees that bear fruit. Shoot the fruit with an arrow and eat it with R1 to increase your life meter.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

im_sorry posted:

A while ago, I bought Pathologic on GamersGate, played it up until the start of the second day, got distracted by another game, and eventually reinstalled Windows without backing up my saves. I was thinking of starting again, but I was wondering. Is it possible to totally screw yourself up and not realize it until nearly the end of the game? I mean, for example, missing something on day 2, and it making the game totally unwinnable in such a way that you don't find out until almost the end, or having the later parts of the game be impossible because you didn't stockpile something early on?

Also... without getting spoilery, is there anything else I need to know?

Yep, pretty much. You have to complete the main task for each day. If you don't, you won't be able to complete the game, although you won't find out until the end that you screwed yourself. Completing the main tasks is pretty obvious, though--I wouldn't proceed anyway if I failed one.

The more insidious way is to slowly run out of supplies, and I can see how you might be able to run your game into the ground and not realize it until its too late to fix.

This should all be taken with a grain of salt, though. My information comes from an hour playing the game (and realizing I'd never be able to finish) and the informative Let's Play going on here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3033830

That Let's Play's worth a read anyway; the author's done a really good and thorough job so far, and the game has an atmosphere worth experiencing even if its not fun to actually play.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

gigglefeimer posted:

Mastering classes is completely unnecessary and if you're smart you should never have to grind much or at all to beat the game. Don't be afraid to change jobs a lot. Two important notes for boss battles:

1. You can often nail them with a debilitating status effect
2. Each boss usually has a glaring weakness to a job or two.
I did a low-level run of FF5 and I have to say yeah, you don't need to master the classes to beat the game. Hell, just do the following:

1. Level every character in knight far enough to get !guard
2. Change to Monk and set !Guard as your secondary ability.
3. Select !Guard every single round on every character.

Voila, you win against anything in the game that doesn't have a magic attack. Guard reduces the damage you take to zero, counter makes you counterattack when you get hit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've played Disgaea, had some fun with it, so picked up Disgaea 3.

Oh god help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I just bought Sins of a Solar Empire and the Entrenchment expansion. Anyone have any tips for playing the game in general, or for the Advent race in particular? I like how they look, but I seem to remember someone saying they were pretty weak.