Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

the wizards beard posted:

That is awesome, good deal for 50 bux. I've been looking for one for a while.

I used crazedlist to search craigslist around the entire country and then emailed a few people who had them for sale. Sadly, the guy in WI who had one for $30 didn't respond..

Shartjorts posted:

It took me years to fall back in love with my FZ-2 but its never been better. Good deal!

What didn't you like about it for that time? I've never owned one before and haven't been home to even plug it in for the first time yet. Any tips on dialing it in or was it just that your taste in guitar tone had to make a loop back to liking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Stux posted:

Just FYI to anyone looking at buying either of these they are both fantastic.

I'm about *this* close to pulling the trigger and selling my current amp to pick up one of these. Just need to decide between the Blackstar or an Orange Tiny Terror (which I also hear is nice).

e: Current amp is a Marshall MG dfx my parents got me :xd:

ee: Are those two HT-110 cabs? They look different sizes to me, but that might just be camera perspective screwing with me.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2009

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Hubis posted:

ee: Are those two HT-110 cabs? They look different sizes to me, but that might just be camera perspective screwing with me.

They are I think. I'm having trouble getting an idea of how big the mini stack is though. I can't find the dimensions online anywhere.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Hubis posted:

I'm about *this* close to pulling the trigger and selling my current amp to pick up one of these. Just need to decide between the Blackstar or an Orange Tiny Terror (which I also hear is nice).

e: Current amp is a Marshall MG dfx my parents got me :xd:

Yeah they are both the 110s, its just the weird angle. Also I'd personally pick the HT-5 over the Tiny Terror. My friend has one and I think this little baby sounds a hell of a lot better. Also you get the two channels of course.

Thoogsby the cabs are 16.5hx17.4wx9.8d and the head is 7.2hx17.4wx8.7d. Thats in inches. With the two cabs and the head stacked up its just shorter than an Ibanez Prestige case stood on end (click for huge low quality human being camera phone):

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.
I already have a Marshall DSL 100 4X12. Is it worth it for me to pick up one of the Blackstar HT-5s? The literature seems to read like they work to emulate the sound of a British-style amp in the high-gain circuitry. Can anyone who owns this amp weigh in?

Also, Stux, I have an EMG 81/85 set in my 121 Prestige, and it's a high gain metal machine. I would recommend swapping pups out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Early Cuyler posted:

I already have a Marshall DSL 100 4X12. Is it worth it for me to pick up one of the Blackstar HT-5s? The literature seems to read like they work to emulate the sound of a British-style amp in the high-gain circuitry. Can anyone who owns this amp weigh in?

Also, Stux, I have an EMG 81/85 set in my 121 Prestige, and it's a high gain metal machine. I would recommend swapping pups out.

The ht-5 has this knob that basically sweeps from american to uk voicing. Its really nice and you should definatly give it a try although I don't know if you could replace a large amp with it if you're gigging.

And yeah I plan on putting in some BKPs which are high gain passives. Just need to get the money for them together.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Woohoo Boss FZ-2 craziness. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5JB9aiAIc

This thing is extremely high gain. That is with the gain all the way down. In this Mode2 setting, it's really not good for defined notes or a tight sound. It's the sludgiest, nastiest pedal I've ever owned for sure though. I'll have to tweak it around for a while to see what I can get out of it. (Yes I know the amp is shaking the camera like I'm in an earthquake. I actually taped it down this time to prevent that from happening but the ol' Electric Amp is pretty vicious)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a new friend :3:

Went together pretty easy except for me breaking one of the switches somehow.

I'll see about doing some sound clips if anyone is interested.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Catastrophe posted:

Woohoo Boss FZ-2 craziness. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5JB9aiAIc

This thing is extremely high gain. That is with the gain all the way down. In this Mode2 setting, it's really not good for defined notes or a tight sound. It's the sludgiest, nastiest pedal I've ever owned for sure though. I'll have to tweak it around for a while to see what I can get out of it. (Yes I know the amp is shaking the camera like I'm in an earthquake. I actually taped it down this time to prevent that from happening but the ol' Electric Amp is pretty vicious)

Every joker with an FZ-2 has to play Funeralopolis, what gives?

(I did it too when I first plugged mine in)

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2009

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Thumposaurus posted:

I'm..not even sure what this is :confused:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

cheap sunglasses posted:

Every joker with an FZ-2 has to play Funeralopolis, what gives?

(I did it too when I first plugged mine in)

Well..... it sounds like that song sounds? hah. Yeah I am really unoriginal.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Catastrophe posted:

Well..... it sounds like that song sounds? hah. Yeah I am really unoriginal.

I think it's some sort of mind-control pulse that emanates from the pedal that forces the owner to bust out Electric Wizard.

It also doubles as a cheap and effective dental tool. Have fun when your fillings start to fall out.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
Happytime.

I have finally assembled everything! Dual Rec, Catastrophe's Hot Plate, and an Avatar 2x12 with Hellatone 60 and Celestion G12T75. It sounds awesome the small amount of time I've been able to play it. I've been super busy so the knob-twiddling has been very cursory, but it sounds awesome no matter what I do, pretty much. And somehow it makes pinch harmonics seem ridiculously easy.
Sorry about the bad image quality. I'm terrible with cameras and also red-green colorblind.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Raze posted:

And somehow it makes pinch harmonics seem ridiculously easy.

That would be the ludicrous amounts of gain.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Raze posted:

I have finally assembled everything! Dual Rec, Catastrophe's Hot Plate, and an Avatar 2x12 with Hellatone 60 and Celestion G12T75. It sounds awesome the small amount of time I've been able to play it. I've been super busy so the knob-twiddling has been very cursory, but it sounds awesome no matter what I do, pretty much. And somehow it makes pinch harmonics seem ridiculously easy.
Sorry about the bad image quality. I'm terrible with cameras and also red-green colorblind.

Argh I already miss the Hot Plate. Glad you're enjoying it, though.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Raze posted:

Happytime.

Glad to see that cabinet ended up working out! What did you end up paying for it if you don't mind me asking?

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Gramps posted:

Glad to see that cabinet ended up working out! What did you end up paying for it if you don't mind me asking?

Cab was 468, hot plate 200, amp 987. So $1655, all told.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

dissin department posted:

I'm..not even sure what this is :confused:

Looks like a bleep labs thingamakit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIiqGVKPgPE

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I forgot to post this.

I commissioned someone on HCEG to clone a Lovetone Ring Stinger, seen here:

Still waiting for it to arrive, I had him paint it white so that I can draw cool poo poo on it. :q:

I'll post more shots and sound clips when it gets here.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Handen posted:

I forgot to post this.

I commissioned someone on HCEG to clone a Lovetone Ring Stinger, seen here:

Still waiting for it to arrive, I had him paint it white so that I can draw cool poo poo on it. :q:

I'll post more shots and sound clips when it gets here.

What's the extra knob for?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Gramps posted:

The Funk knob.

:whatup:

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Just got C5 EDU:

Click here for the full 1522x1740 image.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Got this not too long ago. It's a Crate GT212 really nice amp and sounds great. Only downside is no headphone jack but drat it is loud.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Gramps posted:

I don't know... Guess I'll find out.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
This should be coming to my door any minute now.

Come on, UPS guy...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

DaFuente posted:

This should be coming to my door any minute now.

Come on, UPS guy...

Nice, Im curious as to how you like this. People over at TGP have orgasms over this pedal, and I dont really get it.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Nice, Im curious as to how you like this. People over at TGP have orgasms over this pedal, and I dont really get it.

I was in Nashville a few days ago talking to a guy in a music store. Every so often, Paul Cochrane brings him a shipment of Tims and Timmys, so I put myself on the waiting list. The next day, the guy called to say that he just got 5 in and I was 5th on the list. I Paypalled $135 shipping included to the store. Soooo basically I just lucked into a pretty sweet deal.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Raze posted:

Happytime.

That looks REALLY slick! There's something about concise, awesome-sounding rigs that make me go :swoon: Clips as soon as you're able, mister.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Timmy is a great pedal. The way its tone controls work (some before and some after the clipping) preserves a lot of your guitar's character, leading the TGP crowd to wax audiophilic about how it is just so darn transparent. Compare that to the Digitech Bad Monkey, an overdrive whose design has a somewhat homogenizing effect, making nearly any guitar sound good but losing some of the timbre of the instrument in the process. Transparency isn't BS, but the way it's talked about sometimes is. It also has a switchable number of diodes in the signal path if I remember correctly, which lets you further tune the sound of your clipping.

I think it's one of the best pedals to use in front of an amp when you like your amp's sound but you want "more." It doesn't have a strong voicing of its own (compared to a pedal like the Vox Satchurator or the Marshall Guv'nor, both of which could almost be used as a preamp into a power amp and cab it has such a strong voicing), which is another design element intended to improve the transparency of the pedal and which makes it very versatile in terms of the gear you're using around it. It isn't going to sound good into everything, of course, but hardly anything does, and in my experience this is one of the more versatile ODs around.

Plus if you buy it from Paul directly, though there's a substantial waiting list, it's only $129, competitive with mass-produced pedals like the reissue Tubescreamer or Maxon 808.

Edit: They're not really "simpler," that was unfair.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 3, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Crosspostin' from my modeling thread...

I've been lucky enough to get to beta test the latest version of the software, and publish a review based on my experiences. Obviously since it's a pre-release beta and hasn't received final approval from Fender, changes could be made to the software by the time of release or patched in afterward. But those changes should only be improvements, if they are made, and honestly it seems like a "finished" product to me, in terms of how it looks, feels, and sounds.

The review's up at https://www.frugalguitarist.com, and I'll be happy to answer any questions about the software here. We'll be putting up clips later today or tomorrow, so if there's something you really want to hear, let me know and I'll try to accommodate you. To be clear I don't speak for IK Multimedia in any way, all I can give you are my thoughts as a modeler user, freelance reviewer and software tester.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

scuz posted:

That looks REALLY slick! There's something about concise, awesome-sounding rigs that make me go :swoon: Clips as soon as you're able, mister.

Well, I do have a pedal board with a few things on it, but I'm a true-bypass whore, so they don't usually interfere. Sadly I have no real recording setup at the moment, but I can make "widdly widdly widdly" sounds into my headset mic to simulate the experience, if you so wish?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Raze posted:

Well, I do have a pedal board with a few things on it, but I'm a true-bypass whore, so they don't usually interfere. Sadly I have no real recording setup at the moment, but I can make "widdly widdly widdly" sounds into my headset mic to simulate the experience, if you so wish?
mmmmmmm :unsmith::fh: yes please!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Any thoughts on this guitar?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481915X
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 Electric Guitar - Scratch 'n' Dent (Transparent Grey Burst*)

Pretty cheap.
I've always been looking for an old RG550 to play with, would this be close? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Schatten posted:

Pretty cheap.
I've always been looking for an old RG550 to play with, would this be close? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Ive probably said this a lot, but low end Ibanez guitars are great. You'll want to get it setup properly and also think about changing the pickups, but if you do both of those you'll end up with a guitar that plays far outside its price range. Even though they're made in Indonesia/Korea, the necks are almost as good as the Japanese models. I would recommened checking out the used market for Ibanezes first though, as you can usually pickup a Japanese model for surprisingly cheap, or one of the older Korean models which are absolutly insane for the price.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Got this not too long ago. It's a Crate GT212 really nice amp and sounds great. Only downside is no headphone jack but drat it is loud.

Is the 'Murder Happens' sticker on your pedal from the STL band? I got a copy of their album from Paul at GC and its pretty sweet. That was a few years ago though, dont know if they are still around.

Also i have a Crate MX120 (and a Fender Deville i use way more but whatever) and even though the tone leaves a lot to be desired i can melt the face off just about anyone with it cranked.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Stux posted:

Ive probably said this a lot, but low end Ibanez guitars are great. You'll want to get it setup properly and also think about changing the pickups, but if you do both of those you'll end up with a guitar that plays far outside its price range. Even though they're made in Indonesia/Korea, the necks are almost as good as the Japanese models. I would recommened checking out the used market for Ibanezes first though, as you can usually pickup a Japanese model for surprisingly cheap, or one of the older Korean models which are absolutly insane for the price.

Yeah, there's a Prestige RG1550 on our local craigslist right now for $500.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Schatten posted:

Pretty cheap.

Looks good to me. Stux is right that the used market is good, but if you like the look and feature set that's a good guitar for the money. The IBZ pickups tend to get shat on a lot but I actually don't mind them. I'd especially recommend at least trying to adjust them to the ideal height before replacing them; I get the impression most people don't since they just assume they're crap.

That said, Dimarzios are awesome and the guitar would be that much cooler with quality electronics.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Nosir posted:

Is the 'Murder Happens' sticker on your pedal from the STL band? I got a copy of their album from Paul at GC and its pretty sweet. That was a few years ago though, dont know if they are still around.
No idea picked it up from the Bridgeton GC for ultra cheap but I'm willing to look into it. But I'm guessing yes since I also live in STL.

Wogturt
Feb 6, 2009

This godless endeavor...
This is my next baby. I already own a Diamond Series Gryphon but I listen and play a lot of metal and I have been wanting a 7 string. Then the next purchase after that will be a new amp but I have no idea what's a good combo amp for metal.

I love these guitars they're so pretty.

Click here for the full 700x250 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Nosir posted:

Paul is still at the Bridgeton GC. Murder Happens is in limbo or something, they do shows here and there.