Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yoozer posted:

Correct; but the engine does not matter, in this case.

What you do with FM (or more correctly phase modulation, since it's cheaper computationally) is purely an additive job. You don't start with a waveform with lots of harmonic content and whittle it down; you start with a waveform with a single harmonic and add harmonic content. Painting vs. sculpting.

The difference is that with a pure additive synthesizer you get to (and worse, have to) determine which harmonics to increase in volume while with the DX it depends on the settings of the operators - which means side-effects that are harder to predict and limitations.

Yah but it doesn't sound the same, and the process by which you get there isn't the same. To me that makes it completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Slightly off-topic...

I make entirely electronic music, but I'm working on something at the moment that is itching for a live performed drum track. Since it doesn't need to be professional quality, would it be worth starting a thread here in ML where any drummer goons can record their own drum track, with a small prize for the one I like the best?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's been done before and worked out ok.

Also, have you heard of addictive drums?
http://www.xlnaudio.com/
It's quite in depth and can sound incredible with due care. If it was programmed well you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I've been playing around with the GrooveMonkee drum tracks, which are MIDI drum tracks played by live drummers. I'm using them with Battery, but they also come with presets for EZDrummer, BFD, etc. There's a pretty generous free sample pack on their website.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is there any practical difference soundwise between an FM synth and a Subtractive synth. The way you go about working on it is different sure, but is there anything an FM synth would be different or "better" at soundwise?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

Is there any practical difference soundwise between an FM synth and a Subtractive synth. The way you go about working on it is different sure, but is there anything an FM synth would be different or "better" at soundwise?

Yes, brass and metallic noises most notably. Overall though, the character of the sound is intrinsically "different". Even in similar bass patches, an FM and a subtractive synth "doing the same thing" will sound characteristically different.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

h_double posted:

That's a little bit like saying "painting portraits is boring, you're limited to just faces" -- but yet within that one simple subject you can have everything from Rembrandt to Picasso to Warhol.

Look at something like 1970s dub reggae -- King Tubby, Scientist, Lee 'Scratch' Perry -- which is a HUGE HUGE influence upon modern music, everything from DJ culture to punk. They were producing simple pop songs, the same old guitar/bass/drum/keys/vocals, and by way of creative use of the mixing board (plus a couple of spring reverbs, tape delays, etc.) they invented a whole new style of music. The producer had suddenly also become a composer and performer.

It's sort of tough to directly compare a rock producer to an EDM producer, because the latter blurs the lines even further between composition, engineering, and musicianship. A rock producer sometimes takes a relatively transparent role, but can have a huge influence upon a band's sound. Go listen to albums like Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon, and how much is going on with the production (and in the case of Sgt. Pepper, keep in mind George Martin did it all with four tracks of tape). Listen to Phil Spector's production on the Ronnettes' "Be My Baby", then go listen to some albums produced by Rick Rubin and Butch Vig and Eno, and think about how much diversity there is just recording the same old instruments.

This is all relevant to electronic musicians because if that much diversity is possible with guitars and drums, think about how much MORE you ought to be able to do when you can conjure sounds wholly from thin air (in a similar vein, lately I have been digging into the Classic Tracks archives from Sound on Sound which is full of interesting lore).

Yes, you are quite right about what you're saying. It was merely an attempt at showing how much more freedom you have as an EDM producer compared to a rock producer.
What I was trying to say was that as a rock producer you have to make the best with what you've been given, whereas as an EDM producer you can make the best with what you've chosen.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Three Red Lights posted:

That's tough to say as an absolute (since "subtractive synthesis" can include everything from analog oscillators to sample playback), but FM synths tend to be particularly good at metallic/bright/"pure"/bell-like/ring modulator-y tones in a way that's not easy to replicate by carving out tones with filters and envelopes. Go youtube some DX7 demos and you'll probably get a sense of what I mean.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Three Red Lights posted:

is there anything an FM synth would be different or "better" at soundwise?
Here's a little demo I've made for the Hypra-Rom cartridge.

Audio demo: http://www.theheartcore.com/music/hypra-rom.mp3

Presets in this order: Backline 1, Backline 3, C.Bass, CP 80b, PPG Vol. 5, OCEAN BAY, Wurlitzer, Synclav. 3

Effects added : Only Ableton's own Chorus/Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb (and not even all at the same time). Bonus points if you can recognize the first snippet.

The Hypra-ROM cartridge is a rare special cartridge for the DX7 which has 3 switches on top - 1 from A-D, 1 from 1-4, 1 with Alpha and Beta, resulting in 4 x 2 x 4 banks - which means 32 x 32 = 1024 presets for the DX7.

The preset names lack any kind of actual consistency, which leads me to believe that these have been gathered from several sources.

Anyway, here's all the banks dumped as System Exclusive (SysEx) files.

The zip file also contains a concatenated SysEx dump, which means you can import them in one fell swoop into FM8.

Enjoy!

http://www.theheartcore.com/zip/hypra-rom-all.zip

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Yoozer posted:

The zip file also contains a concatenated SysEx dump, which means you can import them in one fell swoop into FM8.

Enjoy!

SC-SC-SCORE!

Wow, thanks!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

h_double posted:

I've been playing around with the GrooveMonkee drum tracks, which are MIDI drum tracks played by live drummers. I'm using them with Battery, but they also come with presets for EZDrummer, BFD, etc. There's a pretty generous free sample pack on their website.
Thanks, this is very cool!

cubicle gangster posted:

It's been done before and worked out ok.

Also, have you heard of addictive drums?
http://www.xlnaudio.com/
It's quite in depth and can sound incredible with due care. If it was programmed well you'd have a hard time telling the difference.
235 euros no thanks :sweatdrop:

My problem is I have difficulty getting things to sound "realistic" when I need to because it's usually not important in the style of music I like to make. I also don't know anything about live drumming so I'd get likely get much better results from a real drummer than I would from programming it myself.

Here's the track I'm working on with some drums I whipped up with the GrooveMonkee midi tracks and one of the Reason factory drum kits. I'm trying to get it to sound something like The Go Team I suppose.

The drums come in at 1:16 and 2:41. Thoughts?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Presets in this order: Backline 1, Backline 3, C.Bass, CP 80b, PPG Vol. 5, OCEAN BAY, Wurlitzer, Synclav. 3

Effects added : Only Ableton's own Chorus/Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb (and not even all at the same time). Bonus points if you can recognize the first snippet.

The Hypra-ROM cartridge is a rare special cartridge for the DX7 which has 3 switches on top - 1 from A-D, 1 from 1-4, 1 with Alpha and Beta, resulting in 4 x 2 x 4 banks - which means 32 x 32 = 1024 presets for the DX7.

The preset names lack any kind of actual consistency, which leads me to believe that these have been gathered from several sources.

Enjoy!

Y'know, I've always thought every demo I've heard of Ableon+Operator had a weirdly "clean" sound to it. I guess that explains it if thats just what FM synthesis sounds like.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Was the first bit of that a deliberate Cylob cover?

Some nice sounds in there

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Cylob? No, it was Squarepusher - TommiB from Go Plastic.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Cylob? No, it was Squarepusher - TommiB from Go Plastic.

Err, duh... was half asleep earlier. For some reason I had thought it was something off of Cylobian Sunset

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I know you all hate this poo poo:

The synth at the begining of white knight 2:
http://video.google.com/videosearch...=N&hl=en&tab=wv

I can't put my finger on precisely how that sound is made. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm having trouble even coming close... :(

Help is appreciated greatly as always.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Just do some kind of sawtooth wave, quick attack and decay with no sustain, and have a very fast (low attack time) envelope modulating the low pass filter. Set the initial cutoff about 1/4 of the way I would say, with a little bit of resonance. Then run it through a tempo sync'd delay.

At least I think that'll do it, I'm at work so I really have no idea, but I suspect that will sound close.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

toadee posted:

Just do some kind of sawtooth wave, quick attack and decay with no sustain, and have a very fast (low attack time) envelope modulating the low pass filter. Set the initial cutoff about 1/4 of the way I would say, with a little bit of resonance. Then run it through a tempo sync'd delay.

At least I think that'll do it, I'm at work so I really have no idea, but I suspect that will sound close.

Okay that seems really simple, I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
help i have no idea what to do with this track what am i doing aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Stux posted:

Needs some samples from random 50's documentaries.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

maybe some key modulations? or something to move it along...the drums are really cool but after a while everything is the same.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Yoozer posted:

Enjoy!

Some very nice sounds in there, about to try 'em out on FM8, thanks for the upload Yoozer. :)

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
How do you guys like to color code your ableton sets? I've been looking for a good system and am curious to what others do.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

All continious audio tracks of a single type e.g vocals become one colour group, say shades of yellow or something. Looped clips and midi clips get multicoloured randomly as they're going to get moved around a lot and its helpful to be able to look at one part and differentiate it from its neighbor.

e: In other words colour by song section, not instrument. So if you've got a bunch of clips you want to come in together and play for 8 bars as your "chorus" you make all instruments in that section blue or something. Then when if when arranging you decide you want the synth part form het chorus to also be played elsewhere in the song it will still be blue and you'll know at a glance what it used to be and why you moved it. :spergin:

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 7, 2009

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Hey guys, just thought I'd tell you all there is a live stream up from Trance Energy 2009. Listen here: http://80.86.89.188:8888/listen.pls

Looks like the server is pretty full, I'm having trouble reconnecting myself. The schedule can be found below.

Schedule (+11? hours from PST, +8 from EST - I think.)

Jeff-E warm-up // 21:00
Tydi // 22:00
John O’Callaghan // 23:00
Armin van Buuren // 00:30
Paul van Dyk // 02:30
Marcel Woods // 04:30
Fausto // 06:00
End // 07:00

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 8, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Anacostia posted:

How do you guys like to color code your ableton sets? I've been looking for a good system and am curious to what others do.

Things stay the color they are when they are created (random) except when I make a copy of a loop/sample/etc for the sole purpose of copying and altering it, in which case I'll change the color. At random.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I like to use lighter/cold colours for higher pitched/light noises/loops, and dark/warm colours for bassier and darker ones. No reason other than finding some small amount of satisfaction in comparing colour to sound though, and I dont think it helps much because I name my stems anyway.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just color code things by shade.

EG, a lead will be green or whatever. Variations of that lead will be lighter or darker or whatever, depending.

Although, for some reason, I usually use the reds and brown for the drums.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a coloring algorithm that'd give parts their colors according to frequency spectrum or something. It'd be OCD as gently caress, though.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I made some music again, anybody got any comments?

http://yfinder.de/prev/wayfinder_-_don%27t_cry.mp3

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2014

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Kai was taken posted:

EG, a lead will be green or whatever. Variations of that lead will be lighter or darker or whatever, depending.

Although, for some reason, I usually use the reds and brown for the drums.

I usually make the drums brown too. Bass is always orange. Guitars usually green. Any light floaty synth parts are purple. Horns/organ are usually yellow.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

colonp posted:

Really nice sounds you got there.

The initial loop does get a bit samey, so try to mix that part up a bit maybe (breaks etc.). The breakdown reminds me of ulrich schnauss. Needs more anticipation for the beat coming in again after the breakdown. Maybe more anticipation just before the breakdown too. I'm not a fan of the "go!" sample. Also I think there's too much going on at about 70% into the song (right before the melody goes away).

One thing that's sorta odd is how you mix sorta funky (middle bass and some of the beat) with rough (kick, snare maybe and deep bass) and soft (pad, melody). Well, it sounds a bit off to me anyway. Better than what I can do though! :) I like it better than that last track you posted.

Did you make that in buzz?
Thanks for listening. Yeah, I made it in buzz. I am thrilled you brought up Ulrich Schnauss, he's in my top 5 favourite artists ever.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

This is in a slightly different direction for your thread, but I'm just getting into mixing and mastering some poppy new wave tracks for an album and am a little lost going into the mixing/mastering stage. I'm sort of torn between the really focused, clarion sound of stuff like wayfinder just posted - just the discreteness of all the elements - with the kind of reverby, high-gain noisy punk rock stuff that a lot of the songs start out as in my head. No vocals, but they'd be along the same vein as the melodic leads.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

this one's entirely electronic, iirc

and this one's got a couple live instruments, mainly a sorta DFA1979ish bass

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2014

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I've been wondering about that too, I've been drooling over a Lemur for a while now. I'm going to shoot an email to a Canadian dealer now to see if they have stock. While I'd have nothing against an updated controller, buying obsolete equipment isn't my favourite thing ever. :(

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Three Red Lights posted:

Y'know, I've always thought every demo I've heard of Ableon+Operator had a weirdly "clean" sound to it. I guess that explains it if thats just what FM synthesis sounds like.

Go back and listen to the original arcade version of Double Dragon. It's basically entirely FM synthesis for all for the sounds and music.

All FM (and quite brilliant for composition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuTfngZ3Dc&fmt=18

Halo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 10, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Halo posted:

Go back and listen to the original arcade version of Double Dragon. It's basically entirely FM synthesis for all for the sounds and music.

All FM (and quite brilliant for composition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuTfngZ3Dc&fmt=18

That's a (Yamaha) YM2151 chip providing the music, an 8-voice 4-operator single chip FM synth that was also used for the music of most of the classic mid-1980s Atari arcade games (Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Stun Runner, 720, etc.). The "insert quarter" bell chime those games used is a perfect nutshell example of why FM sounds so cool.

(also seconding whoever's request earlier for some pointers to good FM tutorials or book recommendations. Native Instruments has a couple of short but decent FM7 tutorials on their site (you need a registered NI account to view them), but it just barely scratches the surface of how operator modulation works -- I'd love to see a more detailed discussion of building specific timbres, envelopes, etc.)

h_double fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=148

Watch this if fm is magic to you. It helps lots. Smack yourself in the face if it starts becoming hard to understand. Then, remind yourself its only 8 minutes and you should watch it 3 times. Finally, download the pdf below the video for extra information about ratios. The ratio you use based on the main operator is how you get your overtones and changes to pitch and "filter" and envelop settings. Not a filter really. Watch and see. Good video part two should be out soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Three Red Lights posted:

All continious audio tracks of a single type e.g vocals become one colour group, say shades of yellow or something. Looped clips and midi clips get multicoloured randomly as they're going to get moved around a lot and its helpful to be able to look at one part and differentiate it from its neighbor.

e: In other words colour by song section, not instrument. So if you've got a bunch of clips you want to come in together and play for 8 bars as your "chorus" you make all instruments in that section blue or something. Then when if when arranging you decide you want the synth part form het chorus to also be played elsewhere in the song it will still be blue and you'll know at a glance what it used to be and why you moved it. :spergin:

I like this a lot better than what I usually do, poo poo. I'm usually just dark blue for kick, red for snare, yellow for hats, blue for bass, neons for leads, etc.

• Locked thread