Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Good dedicated snow tires will actually help you slow down/stop faster in the snow as a result of the soft rubber compound and the massive amounts of sniping on the tires.

I'm sniping you with my M24. I think you meant siping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm sniping you with my M24. I think you meant siping.

Yeah, added an extra N in there, whoops.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

We got about 8" of snow last night in Philly. My Legacy plowed through it like a charm. The downside is that I am one of 2 people that showed up for work today, everyone else (9 people total in the office) took a snow day.

Goddammit.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I'll be getting a catback exhaust (Fujitsubo) and APS CAI for my '08 WRX hatch, would it need a retune with just these items or will the stock ecu be able to compensate?

When it comes to tuning the general opinion here (in singapore) is that Opensource or ecutek reflashes will be worthless as the car will 'relearn' or revert to the original parameters. Is there any truth in this?

pseudo neo
Jul 23, 2007
I have a Subaru problem. Here is a photo for you to enjoy

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

raffie posted:

I'll be getting a catback exhaust (Fujitsubo) and APS CAI for my '08 WRX hatch, would it need a retune with just these items or will the stock ecu be able to compensate?

When it comes to tuning the general opinion here (in singapore) is that Opensource or ecutek reflashes will be worthless as the car will 'relearn' or revert to the original parameters. Is there any truth in this?

Changing anything around the maf will change how the maf reads. Cars lean out, even with just a panel filter. Plenty of people disagree with this, but we dyno tune 2-4 cars a day, and they're mostly subarus, and I see this happen personally. Anyway, aps makes good intakes but I didn't know they made one for the 08.

As for relearning, no, that's completely untrue. Yes, the ecu can adjust fuel trims, but it's not going to be changing the maps.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey look what I did yesterday!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Now sitting on 2004 WRX sedan springs and struts. Maybe a little hard to tell in the picture, but I think Im getting a touch of saggy butt. I was expecting this, and was planning on getting either stock wagon springs or new aftermarket before I put them on. But I have some unplanned down time, Im bored, and Im broke. So on they went!
Im really, really happy with them. The ride is perfect, actually a little firmer than I was expecting. Ive never ridden in a wrx, so I wasnt sure what to expect. And the drop is perfect! So instead of springs, for now I think Ill just get some spacers.
Even better, I did it all by myself! Only problem I had was snapping a cheap harbor freight 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor while trying to undo the rear bolts. Oops.
I even managed to keep the alignment pretty straight. Doesnt pull at all, but Im still getting it checked in a few days. Only thing is, now my steering wheel is a little off center when it should be straight. How did I manage to do that, and how do I fix it?

Ohh, and does it matter what direction the tophat for the fronts goes on at? The instructions I was following were for putting the same struts back in, and said to mark the top bolts to make sure they went in the same way they came out. Since I was putting in new ones, that diddnt really apply. I couldnt see anything that said how they should go, and my haynes diddnt say anything either. Am I cool? Everything feels good after a bit of driving around today.

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 3, 2009

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

raffie posted:

If im not mistaken, the consensus among Subaru forums is that you absolutely need a tune with an intake. There are numerous threads of people having issues with their intakes, nearly all of them didnt tune after the install.

And while I cant help you about the ECU problem, I know Toyotas ECUs are notorious for this. I had a piggyback on a boosted Corolla. I would flash a map, and literally by the end of that day the ECU would revert back to some other settings it decided it liked better than my map.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!

hedgegnome posted:

Ohh, and does it matter what direction the tophat for the fronts goes on at? The instructions I was following were for putting the same struts back in, and said to mark the top bolts to make sure they went in the same way they came out. Since I was putting in new ones, that diddnt really apply. I couldnt see anything that said how they should go, and my haynes diddnt say anything either. Am I cool? Everything feels good after a bit of driving around today.

Are you talking about your strut mounts? The upper section with 3-4 bolts that connects the top of the strut to the car?

Dunno how it is on Subarus, but on my Probe that would mess with your alignment. Rotating it different positions gave you different camber or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FlyingPotato posted:

Dunno how it is on Subarus, but on my Probe that would mess with your alignment. Rotating it different positions gave you different camber or something.
I don't think it matters which car it is; you should always get a re-alignment done after you've replaced suspension components.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

front tops are symmetrical, so that doesn't matter. When you get an alignment have the front negative camber maxed out and the toe set to zero all around.

want to fix the saggy butte?
http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/index.php

FlyingPotato posted:

Dunno how it is on Subarus, but on my Probe

uh, thanks?

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 4, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hedgegnome posted:

Hey look what I did yesterday!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Now sitting on 2004 WRX sedan springs and struts. Maybe a little hard to tell in the picture, but I think Im getting a touch of saggy butt. I was expecting this, and was planning on getting either stock wagon springs or new aftermarket before I put them on. But I have some unplanned down time, Im bored, and Im broke. So on they went!
Im really, really happy with them. The ride is perfect, actually a little firmer than I was expecting. Ive never ridden in a wrx, so I wasnt sure what to expect. And the drop is perfect! So instead of springs, for now I think Ill just get some spacers.
Even better, I did it all by myself! Only problem I had was snapping a cheap harbor freight 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor while trying to undo the rear bolts. Oops.
I even managed to keep the alignment pretty straight. Doesnt pull at all, but Im still getting it checked in a few days. Only thing is, now my steering wheel is a little off center when it should be straight. How did I manage to do that, and how do I fix it?

I have "saggy butt" on mine too, after I put 06 XT springs and struts on my 99.
The off-center steering wheel is something that should be fixed by the alignment shop.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

jamal posted:

front tops are symmetrical, so that doesn't matter. When you get an alignment have the front negative camber maxed out and the toe set to zero all around.

want to fix the saggy butte?
http://www.camotoy.com/products/saggybutt/index.php

Yeah, ok thats what I thought. Got the alignment done today at the dealer. Everything is all better now :)

And those spacers are exactly what I was talking about :)
Will unbolting the tops enough to slip in a spacer mess with the rear alignment? It wont need to come down much, but its still going to be moving around a bit. As long as I dont touch the lower bolts, it should be fine, right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah you'll probably be okay. A change in ride height alone will affect camber and toe though.

In other news, I have some interesting things going on this and next week, like the 08 sti motor I'm rebuilding. it just got back from the machine shop and has fresh bearings and shiny new forged pistons:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Also, this showed up today:

Neat:

I'm also in the process of finishing up a meth injection installation on an 08 sti. The car is getting a cosworth/pectel ecu to go along with it. We expect somewhere around 450whp.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 5, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow, I am looking for tires for my old Forester, there is really nothing worthwhile in 205/70/R15.
Anybody have some spare 16" wheels? Just kidding.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm normally pretty happy with Oregon not having self-serve gas stations. I mean when it's rainy and cold out it's awesome that you don't have to get out of your car. Tonight however I had my first bad experience at a gas pump in my entire driving life.

Gas attendant comes to my window after I'm waiting for like 2 minutes.
me: "fill it with premium please"
attendant takes my card and runs it, comes back with card.
attendant: "did you say regular?"
me: "no, premium"
attendant walks around and hits the regular button and runs off to another car
I'm sitting there looking at the pump thinking wtf?
3 minutes after my car is done filling the attendant finally comes back to take the pump out, walks around and hands me my receipt.
I look at the receipt really quickly, sure enough, price of regular is on it.
me: "hey, I asked for premium, did you fill my car with premium?"
attendant: "yeah" as he's running away to the next car.

rear end in a top hat... I suppose part of it could be attributed to a language barrier or something but dude only really has to have like 3 words memorized and he even asked for clarification and I gave it to him.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
So, You told him twice, he ignored you. You watched him start the regular gas. Then you did nothing and just let it fill up with crapgas?

Congrats.

I'd try to siphon that gas out asap or if you can do it, not go into boost for the next 350 miles.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

pseudo neo posted:

I have a Subaru problem. Here is a photo for you to enjoy

Wait, waht?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just got into an accident in my 9-2X. Front right fender is crumpled and steering arm snapped. Strut tower looks fine but honestly I don't know.

What a lovely week.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

MMD3 posted:

So I'm normally pretty happy with Oregon not having self-serve gas stations. I mean when it's rainy and cold out it's awesome that you don't have to get out of your car. Tonight however I had my first bad experience at a gas pump in my entire driving life.

Gas attendant comes to my window after I'm waiting for like 2 minutes.
me: "fill it with premium please"
attendant takes my card and runs it, comes back with card.
attendant: "did you say regular?"
me: "no, premium"
attendant walks around and hits the regular button and runs off to another car
I'm sitting there looking at the pump thinking wtf?
3 minutes after my car is done filling the attendant finally comes back to take the pump out, walks around and hands me my receipt.
I look at the receipt really quickly, sure enough, price of regular is on it.
me: "hey, I asked for premium, did you fill my car with premium?"
attendant: "yeah" as he's running away to the next car.

rear end in a top hat... I suppose part of it could be attributed to a language barrier or something but dude only really has to have like 3 words memorized and he even asked for clarification and I gave it to him.

Im not trying to be all "Im a big man, I can do it myself" here but I hate gas station attendents. When I was going to Mt. Rushmore, I stopped on a back road in a state which escapes me now, but the guy wouldnt let me pour my own gas. I should be able to pour my own gas. Its not some kind of complicated procedure.

EDIT:

And after not letting me pump my own gas, he asked for a tip.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I thought some states have (had?) laws about pumping your own gas. Jersey, perhaps?

That being said, if you watched the idiot start filling it with regular, you get out and shut off the pump, don't just sit there and take it, and then deal with 13 gallons of regular.

I'm quite glad we have very few full serve stations here in NH.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Yeah its a law in jersey. Actually, thats not a bad idea as a way to get people jobs. I of course, would not tip. Would easily create a ton of jobs, albeit minimum waged. Welfare to work comes to mind.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I have "saggy butt" on mine too, after I put 06 XT springs and struts on my 99.
The off-center steering wheel is something that should be fixed by the alignment shop.

Both of you need these:

http://www.turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=35&products_id=559&osCsid=d9

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
A couple days ago, I picked up a cheap daily driver/beater in the form of a 1995 Legacy L wagon with 180k miles on the clock and rust in all four fenders. It's a manual with power everything (all of which still works) and its 2.2 still runs flawlessly.

And despite being a 14 year old wagon with skinny (like 185 or something) 70-series winter tires on it, its handling is taut and responsive, almost sporty, though the steering is slow and turn-in is a bit mushy. But still, for what it is, it's loving great. It's actually enjoyable to drive, unlike most modern and "nicer" cars I've had experience with.

I'm loving the hell out of this dumpy old thing already. :3:

Anything in particular I should be watching out for?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
WTF, there's laws preventing you from refilling your car yourself? How loving stupid. BTW NMD, if someone fills your WRX with regular or tries to, the correct answer is stop them physically. You do NOT allow that to happen.

Redline Heavy shockproof is smurf blood. Suddenly fourth gear is no longer crunching :D And foudn out the reason for dodgy brakes, there was no one way valve in the booster line. Feels a lot better.

And that was the sum of the STI's first maintenance after a rally. drat thing spanner checked so nicely and literally a month to go before next event it's ready to go.

quote:

Wait, waht?

Looks like an older Impreza stuffed full of later model STI goodness.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Had the APS CAI installed in my 08 wrx hatch today, well actually my dad went to get it done as i was at work, but i made sure the shop guys knew what to do.

I had them do a baseline run on a Dynapack before installation, just for reference. The car put down 224 horses at the axles, alot more than i expected. Immediately after the install my dad had them do another power run (pointless, i know), and it churned out a staggering 168 horses, ha. The next run netted 179. I guess the ecu is trying to figure out what to do.

After the exhaust is installed later this month i'll be getting it tuned, most likely with an opensource reflash.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Guys,

I have an 2003 Toyota Altezza RS200 Z w/ a 2JZ-GTE as the project car and a 2004 Passat 1.8T as a daily driver, and this dude is selling me a Subaru Legacy B4 RSK Twin Turbo a 2000 model for practically nothing, I know little about these cars but I fell in love with the looks and the feel of the thing, I'm going to ditch the passat and pick up this as a daily driver, however, I need tips on what to look for when testing this car to buy it, aside from the usual frame/collision damage, should I be looking for something in particular? so far I know that the car should not sound like a boxter, that excessive turbo lag means the first turbine is busted, the crappy fart can exhaust can damage the turbos and that a crappy ricer BOV is a big NO NO.

Any more things to look for in these cars? Please keep in mind that this engine is smilar to the EJ20 but with a sequential twin turbo set up.

Thanks

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

raffie posted:

Had the APS CAI installed in my 08 wrx hatch today, well actually my dad went to get it done as i was at work, but i made sure the shop guys knew what to do.

I had them do a baseline run on a Dynapack before installation, just for reference. The car put down 224 horses at the axles, alot more than i expected. Immediately after the install my dad had them do another power run (pointless, i know), and it churned out a staggering 168 horses, ha. The next run netted 179. I guess the ecu is trying to figure out what to do.

After the exhaust is installed later this month i'll be getting it tuned, most likely with an opensource reflash.
I always thought the rule of thumb was that a CAI was pointless until you're well over 300 WHP.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Wrar posted:

I always thought the rule of thumb was that a CAI was pointless until you're well over 300 WHP.

http://harmanmotive.com/blog/?p=26

The consensus was that it was not required, but it would produce a healthy gain if you had a good intake, and even more if you tuned for it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Wrar posted:

I would say it's best to get a cai if you're getting a tune, and not to get one otherwise.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Had a chance to finally autocross my STI a few weeks ago. What a blast!

And better yet, I managed to snag eight lightly used BFG R comps for $100 (for all! :) :) ). In case any of you were wondering, you can fit eight 245/40r18 tires in the back of an Impreza hatch (and still have room for two people!). :dance:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I got my WRX and absolutely love it. I am enjoying it so much I just want to find reasons to drive it. How many/what mods can I make to it without tuning? I bought it with an aftermarket catback of some type and a BOV. I plan on putting a stock BPV back but what can I add that doesn't require tuning? Larger TMIC? FMIC? Turbo back exhaust?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

I got my WRX and absolutely love it. I am enjoying it so much I just want to find reasons to drive it. How many/what mods can I make to it without tuning? I bought it with an aftermarket catback of some type and a BOV. I plan on putting a stock BPV back but what can I add that doesn't require tuning? Larger TMIC? FMIC? Turbo back exhaust?

Dude, just get an Accessport or get an opensource tune. Do not do exhaust up/downpipes or a larger intercooler without a tune. It will pull, and drive so much better with a tune, and you won't have to worry about smoking your motor. Do it right the first time around so nothing gets fragged. You're on the right track putting the stock BPV back on, you could probably get away with a catback without a tune, that's probably it however, for a full turboback, a tune is a necessity.

Also, I got loving SMOKED the other day in mine. Rear ended and smooshed into the poor girl in front of me. Poor car :smith:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TurboLuvah posted:

It is not a good month for us EJ20T owners :(

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Wrar posted:

It is not a good month for us EJ20T owners :(

Yeah no poo poo, what is this like the third or fourth one to go down so far?

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

RealKyleH posted:

Things you can do without a tune:
Nothing

Things that need a tune:
Everything

Just kidding. A 50/50 bov should be okay, I run one. As far as mods that don't require a tune: fuel pump (I just did mine this afternoon, easy++), catback, drop-in panel filter (K&N - make sure to follow oiling directions) and thats about it.

Things that do require a tune, in order of importance: downpipe (NEVER run a downpipe without a tune), front mount intercoolers, any sort of tube-style intake, top mount intercoolers, and the obvious mods like turbo, injectors, and stuff like that.

Definitely look into getting the AccessPort (~$700) or at the very least an Open Source\Tactrix\RomRaider\EcuFlash (~$70 for the cable, cost for tune varies from free to a few hundred dollars) - proper engine management is always a plus and its never "wasted" money as you can always use it no matter how far you take the car. Stage 1 for a stock car, stage 2 with downpipe, and custom tune using the AP or Open Source for anything else. Power isn't everything though, even if all you do right now is a stage 1 tune it provides substantial increases in drive ability and throttle response.

Gunny
May 10, 2003

Rhymes with funny!
Hey folks, I've been without a car to call my own for some time. Currently I'm driving my woman's automatic 99 Ford Contour. I previously drove a 92 Eagle Talon TSi AWD modded to 230hp and I don't know how much longer I can go without a manual transmission let alone a turbo or AWD.

I'm thinking about a WRX hatch and I have a budget of about 10K. The KBB value for a 2002 WRX is right around there, but am I asking for trouble on a WRX that old?

On the other hand I'm thinking it might make more sense to go for a more recent year non-turbo Subaru Outback or Impreza wagon. Is there a lot one can do with the non-turbo models aside from a turbo swap?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What would be the mods required to get an earlier spool of the turbo without sacrificing top end? I really like my 09 and the power curve is nice, but I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it at some point to smooth it out a bit by boosting the low end (2000-4000 RPM).

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
To those of you thinking of the Accessport. For gods sake, search NASIOC for one. Chances are, you can pick one up for sale locally for 350-450 bucks. Meet in person, and install it on your car before you leave, to make sure its unmarried and works. Takes all of 5 minutes. The seller should be able to show you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Gunny posted:

Hey folks, I've been without a car to call my own for some time. Currently I'm driving my woman's automatic 99 Ford Contour. I previously drove a 92 Eagle Talon TSi AWD modded to 230hp and I don't know how much longer I can go without a manual transmission let alone a turbo or AWD.

I'm thinking about a WRX hatch and I have a budget of about 10K. The KBB value for a 2002 WRX is right around there, but am I asking for trouble on a WRX that old?

On the other hand I'm thinking it might make more sense to go for a more recent year non-turbo Subaru Outback or Impreza wagon. Is there a lot one can do with the non-turbo models aside from a turbo swap?

I've posted this too many times now, so i'll just turn it into a website:
http://andrewpeng.net/vroom/picking-a-wrx-or-sti

In general, just look at the major points: Engine rings (notecard check, oil consumption check) and the transmission (grinding, etc), if they hold out the car is usually pretty stout and will be fine.

Mr. Powers posted:

What would be the mods required to get an earlier spool of the turbo without sacrificing top end? I really like my 09 and the power curve is nice, but I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it at some point to smooth it out a bit by boosting the low end (2000-4000 RPM).

An Accessport or an open source tune should help tremendously with that. The accessport is around $700 and is an excellent starting point. You can find them used for about $500. An open source tune is great if you can tune yourself or trust downloading a map over the internet, especially if you can find a good tuner like Keith Fields at awdtuning.com - expect to pay around $70-150 for a cable, and about $200-300 for the tune.

Otherwise, there are not many else you can do. Boost controllers are a very big no no unless you are specifically tuned for it.