Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
On a related note, I thought the Hogfather movie was pretty awesome. When I saw it I had just read Hogfather a couple days before, and it was clear to me that basically every line in the movie was ripped directly from the book, and I thought that was kinda awesome. I wish more movie adaptations worked that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Out of all the books I think Mort would've been the best to make into a movie. It's very self-contained, and for some reason Mort's transformation into Death really sticks with one of the rare(if not unique) things in the Discworld series that would work even better on film.

That or Witches Abroad. I'm just dying to put an audio track to Baron Saturday's entrance in the climax.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

DontMockMySmock posted:

On a related note, I thought the Hogfather movie was pretty awesome. When I saw it I had just read Hogfather a couple days before, and it was clear to me that basically every line in the movie was ripped directly from the book, and I thought that was kinda awesome. I wish more movie adaptations worked that way.

There were some super-awkward lines though.. The way the 'like about five in the afternoon?' line came out was just very confusing and not so great as it read in the book, that's the only example I can think of offhand though.

I have to say I haven't seen Johnny and The Bomb, so hey maybe that worked :) I seem to remember that Truckers had a TV show sometime in the 90s too..

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kasonic posted:

Out of all the books I think Mort would've been the best to make into a movie. It's very self-contained, and for some reason Mort's transformation into Death really sticks with one of the rare(if not unique) things in the Discworld series that would work even better on film.

That or Witches Abroad. I'm just dying to put an audio track to Baron Saturday's entrance in the climax.

Witches Abroad could be done like a (not sucky) live-action fairy tale, like Enchanted. The book has a concise beginning, middle, and end and most of the humor is just a twist on standard fairy-tale stuff anyway, which cuts down on the required exposition.

It'd probably be even easier to make than Mort.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kojiro posted:

None of the interpretations have been any good, to be honest. The Colour of Magic was godawful, terrible casting (David Jason? Really?) and the wrong tone entirely.

Discworld stands up just fine on its own as a book and nothing else, your head is meant to do the rest.

I've seen a couple of plays (Guards! Guards! and Carpe Jugulum), they worked pretty well.

quote:

People, seriously. . . stop judging the witches based on Equal Rites. That book sucks. Read the rest of them. Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, and Carpe Jugulum are all very well written, very funny, very parody-y.
This, pretty much. Wyrd Sisters is my favourite of the early Discworld novels, with Guards! Guards! a close second, and they're generally the two books I recommend to first-time readers. For me, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are one of the series' best double acts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Finished Hogfather (read all of the Death series now) and I can see where people have issues with it. It's a very odd book compared to the rest of the series and a lot more serious overall than most of Pratchett's writing.

Moving Pictures is probably up next. I'm tempted to try a few witch or Rincewind books, though, as a change of pace.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mokinokaro posted:

Moving Pictures is probably up next. I'm tempted to try a few witch or Rincewind books, though, as a change of pace.

Moving Pictures is pretty weak standalone that fits most thematically with the super-light tone and thin plots of the earlier books. It does introduce Gaspode though, and he's an awesome character whenever he shows up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've read the whole Watch series so I know all about Gaspode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
While I liked the Hogfather adaptation, it did start dragging horribly after a while, and it occured to me that it was perhaps trying to be too faithful to the book. Adding in every incidental character, special moment and so on just because you can leads to a very inflated story.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot more than the CoM one.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mokinokaro posted:

I've read the whole Watch series so I know all about Gaspode.

Yeah, but perhaps not about his mysterious and fantastic origin story.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
About 1/3rd in Moving Pictures and liking so far, even if a lot of the jokes are cornier than usual for Pratchett Holy Wood? Really?

I guess I'd probably be fine reading the his earlier Rincewind and Witches stuff. I've read much worse comedy/satire.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Mokinokaro posted:

About 1/3rd in Moving Pictures and liking so far, even if a lot of the jokes are cornier than usual for Pratchett Holy Wood? Really?

I guess I'd probably be fine reading the his earlier Rincewind and Witches stuff. I've read much worse comedy/satire.

About fifteen miles down the motorway from me is a town called Holywood. No relation, as far as I'm aware, but I've never gone to the cinema there :tinfoil:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mokinokaro posted:

You don't need to spoiler that, and yeah, really. :rolleyes: Most of the book is that way, and it reeks of Flintstones' "tech".

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LooseChanj posted:

You don't need to spoiler that, and yeah, really. :rolleyes: Most of the book is that way, and it reeks of Flintstones' "tech".

It's been brought up before, by several people, but Moving Pictures really is a kind of transition novel from the goofy/zaniness of the first few books into the most serious satire of the later ones.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's been brought up before, by several people, but Moving Pictures really is a kind of transition novel from the goofy/zaniness of the first few books into the most serious satire of the later ones.

It just seemed like a lot of the things should have been magical, not little imps in cameras drawing pictures, which is what the Flintstones did. And some things were just shoved in for the sole purpose of being able to tell stories that depend on certain technical prerequisites, and don't fit discworld at all. I know you could say "well, that's because the source of those things is the source of the same things in our world" but it just doesn't fit. It's hamhanded to a degree that's jarring coming from Pratchett.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Flintstones tech's fairly common in Discworld, though. That's how their normal cameras work, and then there's also the famous Disorganizer.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Having reread Thud I will have to say that Vimes is totally the best. :swoon: I am still shocked that the climax could be that hilarious and badass at the same time.

Also, a scruffier Jack O'Neill from Stargate (Richard Dean Anderson!) plays Sam Vimes in my head.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Solenna posted:

Having reread Thud I will have to say that Vimes is totally the best. :swoon: I am still shocked that the climax could be that hilarious and badass at the same time.

Also, a scruffier Jack O'Neill from Stargate (Richard Dean Anderson!) plays Sam Vimes in my head.

Thud! is amazing. And the fact that they actually published a real version of Where's My Cow? is totally wonderful.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I've never actually imagined Vimes as played by a human being. In my mind he's a scruffier version of the Cookie Crisp cop.

I think all Discworld characters lend themselves to cartoony images in my head, though. Except maybe Moist.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

Entropic posted:

And the fact that they actually published a real version of Where's My Cow? is totally wonderful.

I was kind of disappointed that it's not just a picture book version of Where's my Cow, but a kind of picture book of Vimes reading a picture book. I still read it to my son sometimes though, and my Father-in-law got me a signed copy as well which was cool of him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, finished Moving Pictures. Definitely the weakest thing I've read from Pratchett, though the ending was great.

It just plodded too much in the middle. There wasn't enough story for a full novel.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
It's still better than FaustEric. If it makes you feel any better, the other "Industrial Revolution" books are much stronger.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It's still better than FaustEric. If it makes you feel any better, the other "Industrial Revolution" books are much stronger.

Whoa, people didn't like FaustEric? It was a short book, but it was a pretty funny read all things considered. To me, it seemed like the quintessential Rincewind book.

Plus the demons file everything under "P" for "People"

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
There are a couple of decent gags, but the whole thing is a thinly-veiled sketch comedy setup with paper-thin characters and no story. The Last Hero, the other comparable short-form illustrated work, was a lot more fun. Admittedly it's got the plot point that gets Rincewind back into the series, but it's still my least favorite of his.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My personal reality does not allow for the existence of a worse book than The Last Continent. The first bad Simpsons episode is the one where they go to Australia and it's 22 minutes of "AUSTRALIA LOL". The Last Continent is pretty much that in Pratchett form, and it's painful.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm sure if Pterry could go back he'd change a few things. I mean the place names, when we get away from the main continent all we get are Ting Lings, Bhangbhangducs and Didjabringabeeralongs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Last Continent is worth it because the UU faculty is in top form.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pope Guilty posted:

My personal reality does not allow for the existence of a worse book than The Last Continent. The first bad Simpsons episode is the one where they go to Australia and it's 22 minutes of "AUSTRALIA LOL". The Last Continent is pretty much that in Pratchett form, and it's painful.

It was my first Discworld book, actually. :shobon: I didn't mind it, though I wouldn't call it a favourite now. On the other hand, my least favourite is probably... actually, I dunno, thinking about it. I don't think I outright disliked any of them, though a number don't exactly stand out in my memory(most of the earliest ones, most of the witch books, etc).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I kinda liked it for the Waltzing Matilda parody and the accidental invention of Vegemite and the Australian version of UU :shobon:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pope Guilty posted:

You missed the joke in The Simpsons episode if you think it's just that.

It's also one of the best episodes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You missed the joke in The Simpsons episode if you think it's just that.

It's also one of the best episodes.

Is this like where idiots say that Carlos Mencia isn't making racist jokes, he's making fun of racist jokes?

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Spatule posted:

Anybody read "Nation" ? Is it good ?

I liked it very much indeed. I guess opinion is divided on this one, but I certainly found it better than any of his other non-Discworld books.

Edit: Mind you, my opinion is tainted due to my grief regarding his Alzheimers. I've been reading Pratchett since I was nine or ten and have a signed copy of "Johnny and the dead" from his Jingo book tour of South Africa in 1998.

Phaeoacremonium fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 5, 2009

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Whalley posted:

the Australian version of UU :shobon:

I liked their Tower of Art with the 'shorter at the bottom than it is at the top' conceit. That amused me.

One of my favourites of the Rincewind series, but that's not saying much because I don't really like the Rincewind ones.

God, I still need to start Nation. It was next on my to read pile, but then the guy I'm dating forced me to read his favourite book, Perdido Street Station, and it's incredibly hard going. Great book, but the text is so rich and immersive, you have to keep taking breathers. The city of New Crobuzon is very Ankh-Morpork in a way.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The_Doctor posted:

God, I still need to start Nation. It was next on my to read pile, but then the guy I'm dating forced me to read his favourite book, Perdido Street Station

You need to dump him and that silly book and start Nation as soon as possible.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pope Guilty posted:

Is this like where idiots say that Carlos Mencia isn't making racist jokes, he's making fun of racist jokes?

The whole reason they picked Australia to make fun of was because they felt Australians were laid back enough to find the extremely over the top jokes too absurd to be offensive. But I guess saying Australians drink a lot of beer is a racist joke :rolleyes:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The whole reason they picked Australia to make fun of was because they felt Australians were laid back enough to find the extremely over the top jokes too absurd to be offensive. But I guess saying Australians drink a lot of beer is a racist joke :rolleyes:

Hey, racism is funny: all humor arises from cruelty and tragedy, and racism is particularly cruel and tragic. Comedy gold! There's a reason why Carlos Mencia is popular enough to have his own show. Personally I think he's a terrible comedian, but whatever.

Bograth
Dec 22, 2007

by angerbeet
Hey, I'm Australian and The Last Continent is rather funny, but I will admit that generally, it's not as strong as the good books of the series.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Haha, chill out. I'm not saying the book and episode are racist, I'm saying they're lazy compendiums of national stereotypes. What I'm trying to imply is that you're dumb enough to make the same argument that Mencia supporters make about his lazy compendiums of racial stereotypes.

Izz
May 1, 2006

I like the newer, slightly larger 'adult style' cover versions of the books, unlike the older ones I can read these without bending the bindings to read the entire line of text on a page so the book stays in rather good condition. I recently took to the Watch series and have been speeding, hungrily through them, until I reached Night Watch which has yet to be published in the newer version. Not wanting to wait for the release I purchased the original paperback version and it has been very difficult not to crease the binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Night Watch is only out here in the newer style. It's topped only by Thud! in the Watch series.