Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Just came home from the music shoppe with this;

I tried every guitar in the shop before settling on the Tanglewood TW28 SNQ. I've only been playing on a crappy £20 third hand guitar for about 4 months but figured I was having enough fun to buy a little upgrade. It sounds warm and it's nice to the touch.

I'm going to be having fun with this. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I'm buying a Fender Standard Jazz bass from a friend on the cheap:

And I just ordered MF's 'stupid deal of the day' - a BBE Freq Boost for $29:

Click here for the full 700x690 image.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Got to keep my eye out for a Tim/timmy so I can try it out.

I just got myself one of these guys:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

JohnnySmitch, that bass is my mexi-strat's stock buddy. That's the same finish as my mexican has, one of my favorite colors on a strat too.

And thanks for pointing out that Stupid Deal of the Day, now I too have a Freq Boost coming my way. Here's hoping it's a killer sounding Rangemaster circuit.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I too have a Freq Boost on the way :guitar:

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Aki. posted:

Just came home from the music shoppe with this;

I tried every guitar in the shop before settling on the Tanglewood TW28 SNQ. I've only been playing on a crappy £20 third hand guitar for about 4 months but figured I was having enough fun to buy a little upgrade. It sounds warm and it's nice to the touch.

I'm going to be having fun with this. :)

Hey TW28 Buddy :) Mines the Left-Handed spruce top model with the mahogany body and Shadow P7 pickup system. I have her a few years now and she's a great little acoustic.

Tanglewood make some really nice guitars for a great price.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Back in October I posted about getting a MOTU UltraLite and an Electrix WarpFactory. I mentioned I was going to buy a rack for some of my stuff but I never posted how it all looked set up.

The patch bay is really handy and it makes using the Moog effects much more enjoyable. Obviously it's also useful for the MOTU interface.

Last week I got myself a keyboard stand. I was tired of having the microKorg on my desk.

But why buy a two tier stand? Maybe the answer is in this mystery box that just arrived.

Midnight checks for explosives and biological weapons. All clear.

Oh look, a new friend for the microKorg.

I've been lusting over the Little Phatty since the Tribute was first released. Now that I've been out of school and working for almost a year, I finally convinced myself that it would be acceptable to throw so much money at a hobby that I'm really not that good at yet.

Here's something I made after spending a few minutes twisting knobs and routing cables through moogerfoogers. The first instrument is the microKorg and then the Little Phatty comes in.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Mr. DNA posted:

Here's something I made after spending a few minutes twisting knobs and routing cables through moogerfoogers. The first instrument is the microKorg and then the Little Phatty comes in.

If you threw a drum beat and some bass behind that you'd have a pretty great Prodigy/The Crystal Method type thing going.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

mono posted:

Times 2 bitches :hfive: Thanks again to whoever it was for the heads up. MFs deal of the day kicks rear end.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Can you go into a little more depth about how the patch cables work with the moogerfoogers? I've been making music on computers for years and I'm trying to get a little more hardware going, that looks like the kind of thing I want to do but I don't understand what's going on there.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

mono posted:

I was this close to jumping in on it, but then I realized
I'm not even entirely sure what it does

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

stun runner posted:

Can you go into a little more depth about how the patch cables work with the moogerfoogers?

I'm not sure how much you know, but analog gear works on control voltages, which means all the different parameters can be controlled by voltage levels. Some of the moogerfooger effects have control voltage outputs (LFOs). In the sample I posted the Little Phatty audio output was fed into the MF-103 Phaser audio in. The Phaser audio out was patched to one of the channels on the recording interface. Also, the LFO output on the Phaser was patched into the Little Phatty filter cutoff frequency input. With this setup, the phaser "whoosh" and the synth's filter cutoff are being controlled by the same LFO and are thus synchronized.

There's really no end to the possible ways you can patch things together. The best way to learn is to play around with someone's equipment. I'm very new to this stuff myself.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

dissin department posted:

It acts sort of like an overdrive. Nice for solo boosts. I bought 2 so I can give one to my little cousin who plays. For 1/5th of retail price I'm jumping on that poo poo with a quickness.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

dissin department posted:

Treble booster. Boosts the output and adds delicious upper harmonics to the signal. In front of an overdrive, dirt pedal, fuzz, overdriving amp, or heavily overdriving amp, this results in a totally different, usually tighter character to the tone.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Mr. DNA posted:

I'm not sure how much you know, but analog gear works on control voltages, which means all the different parameters can be controlled by voltage levels. Some of the moogerfooger effects have control voltage outputs (LFOs). In the sample I posted the Little Phatty audio output was fed into the MF-103 Phaser audio in. The Phaser audio out was patched to one of the channels on the recording interface. Also, the LFO output on the Phaser was patched into the Little Phatty filter cutoff frequency input. With this setup, the phaser "whoosh" and the synth's filter cutoff are being controlled by the same LFO and are thus synchronized.

There's really no end to the possible ways you can patch things together. The best way to learn is to play around with someone's equipment. I'm very new to this stuff myself.

That's neat, thanks for the explanation. I have a Moogerfooger MURF I got on a whim and I'm going to pick up an Ultralite in the near future, so I was kind of curious what you were doing with it. Your setup is pretty tight.

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.
Just came home with these:

The zilla is awesome just for the cave and octo settings, and I now own my first Rat.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Got to keep my eye out for a Tim/timmy so I can try it out.

Someone asked me to let them know how the Timmy was, so here goes:

It's amazing, basically. Incredibly transparent...it's true bypass, so there isn't an ounce of tone lost. If you've ever played a TS modded by Keely or Analogman, it's very much like that. Almost like having an additional gain stage on a tube amp. One cool thing is that the Treble and Bass knobs aren't boosts but cuts, ie turning them all the way down keeps your tone how it is. The chip is removable so that you can experiment with different ones...haven't gotten around to this yet, but I will at some point. The build is top notch, very sturdy. Very choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

I'll post some sound clips when the band gets back into town next week.

Oh and that Ebow is sweet, dude. Much more useful in a studio setting than a live one imo, but just a blast to gently caress around with.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gramps posted:

Times 2 bitches :hfive: Thanks again to whoever it was for the heads up. MFs deal of the day kicks rear end.

:glomp:

This finally convinced me to get the holy stain (+treb boost). From my point of view, I needed a 9v wallwart for my pedal tuner (it never turns off!), and a 9v adapter costs $15, so that makes the treb boost only $15. Amiright or amiright? Holy stain covered the free S&H of the treb boost. Most pedals in the $60+ range don't come with 9v adapters I've noticed.... but I don't need to rationalize here, do I?

Now I have to wait a week for this stuff to arrive to play with it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Thanks to Kijiji, looks like I'm getting a Roland GR-20 and a GK-3 for $250! I just wanted the GK-3, but poo poo, if I hate the GR-20 I can sell it alone for more than that. Woo! Free GK-3!

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

i got this blue thing for 80 bucks or so on ebay. it's the same as an sx really. not that great but it is cool looking.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Agreed posted:

Treble booster. Boosts the output and adds delicious upper harmonics to the signal. In front of an overdrive, dirt pedal, fuzz, overdriving amp, or heavily overdriving amp, this results in a totally different, usually tighter character to the tone.

So then it's actually a harmonic exciter?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Agreed posted:

I have a Beano Boost and I love it more every time I kick it in

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

The Fog posted:

Or a distortion pedal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Fog posted:

the wizards beard posted:

Or a distortion pedal.

Not really, no, it's a treble booster. cuts bass, emphasizes upper midrange and treble, and creates prominent second- and third-order harmonics (especially compared to the dry signal) with some gain thrown in. Not really "supposed" to clip, ideally, though most of them will if you crank them and feed them a strong signal. While the design of it is similar in some ways to simple overdrives, much like the distinction between distortion pedals and fuzz pedals the devil is really in the details. Put a treble booster in front of an overdriven amp and amazing things happen, very different things from a typical (say, TS) overdrive or a distortion pedal, and more dynamically related to your playing than an EQ (although an EQ will do in a pinch).

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.

Zakalwe posted:

Hey TW28 Buddy :) Mines the Left-Handed spruce top model with the mahogany body and Shadow P7 pickup system. I have her a few years now and she's a great little acoustic.

Tanglewood make some really nice guitars for a great price.

Your now the bizzaro me!

I tried out a few Yamaha's and Indie brand guitars but Tanglewood just blew them out the water for the price range I was going for.

I went out and picked up some recording gear today;

I read about it online and figured it would be pretty good for some amateur recording (besides, I got £50 knocked off the price!).

Time to set up and see what this baby can do.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Not really, no, it's a treble booster. cuts bass, emphasizes upper midrange and treble, and creates prominent second- and third-order harmonics (especially compared to the dry signal) with some gain thrown in. Not really "supposed" to clip, ideally, though most of them will if you crank them and feed them a strong signal. While the design of it is similar in some ways to simple overdrives, much like the distinction between distortion pedals and fuzz pedals the devil is really in the details. Put a treble booster in front of an overdriven amp and amazing things happen, very different things from a typical (say, TS) overdrive or a distortion pedal, and more dynamically related to your playing than an EQ (although an EQ will do in a pinch).

It's not going to add harmonics unless it clips a wee bit (or does it through some other magic), that's what clipping is.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I know, I had hoped that by saying "not really designed to clip but most of them will if you crank them and feed them a strong signal" and "the design is similar to an OD but the devil's in the details" the point that I was trying to get across would be conveyed. I'll be more explicit:

This is an op-amp based circuit which soft-clips the signal but doesn't mangle it, and in the process the rest of the circuitry ensures that some pretty neat stuff goes on in the treble and upper midrange which, when fed to an amp, gives the amp's own overdrive something very different to chew on, a signal that remains pretty closely related to the original in the fundamentals but which has a great deal more upper harmonic content and attenuated bass. The net effect is tightening of your amp's tone, adding more apparent overdrive/distortion, but with frequencies present in the signal that normally wouldn't be prior to the amplification so that your amp's output changes in character, usually for the better (of course, dependent on whether it's a sound you're going for).

I like treble boosts into high gain amps, medium-gain crunch amps, and just plain old overdriven amps, as the tone becomes intensely defined with better cut in a mix, too.

I was talking to Keith, the guy formerly behind https://www.aramateffects.com about a pedal he was designing at the time, a booster with switchable clean or treble boosting and adjustable treble as well as boost. It sounded like a good idea, based on the Rangemaster but with a few non-trivial mods to make it do some more interesting stuff. I wish I had talked to him earlier about it, because by the time we were actually working something out, it was too late.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Mr. DNA posted:

For some reason when I saw this picture, I immediately though: it's a Little Phatty. I guess I'll always remember the excitement I had when I got mine. My first analog synth. I still love it, just yesterday I messed with it and I'm still impressed by how it's totally the fattest and nastiest of all my synths.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

JohnnySmitch posted:

And I just ordered MF's 'stupid deal of the day' - a BBE Freq Boost for $29:

Click here for the full 700x690 image.

gently caress! The one day I don't check the Stupid Deal of the Day they blowout the one pedal I've been jonesing for!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

ZoCrowes posted:

gently caress! The one day I don't check the Stupid Deal of the Day they blowout the one pedal I've been jonesing for!

Those things will probably be all over eBay for about the same price.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

DaFuente posted:

Someone asked me to let them know how the Timmy was, so here goes:

:words:

Oh and that Ebow is sweet, dude. Much more useful in a studio setting than a live one imo, but just a blast to gently caress around with.

Yeah, Im hoping to get pretty good using it live, the music that Im usually involved with has a need for a nice droning volume swell.

e: thanks for the quick review, I didnt know the tone knobs were "cuts"

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It seems like all of the BBE effects are kind of tough to describe. I really like the sonic stomp, but I can't even really put my finger on what it does. It kind of seems like an overdrive/auto EQing sort of thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

Those things will probably be all over eBay for about the same price.

And if you're looking for a cheap treble booster, get the Digitech Bad Monkey, it has active EQ in addition to an op-amp based bass boost/cut circuit. TWB and I can quibble over the details but you'll get a lot of mileage out of using a Bad Monkey or a Transparent Overdrive as a treble boost just by cutting the bass a bit, boosting the treble, and upping the output level.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Raze posted:

Cab was 468, hot plate 200, amp 987. So $1655, all told.

Holy poo poo. I spent less on my fullstack ($1,230). I got myself a goddamn bargain.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. The "Bad Horsie" Wah:

$30 at a pawn shop while browsing for a 12" speaker cabinet. 9v battery cable (negative lead) had been torn off and talked them down to $15. Got home, soldiered the negative (ground) lead to the case and works beautifully. This had been sitting in their shop since Nov 08 according to the tag - apparently nobody recognized the name?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I'm looking for a "second tier" acoustic guitar. I played the crap out of my old one (http://www.guitarimports.com/ds10.htm) and according to the guitar repair place, my truss rod rusted through and snapped ( :psyduck: ) and it's irreparable. I loved the sound that came out of it and wouldn't be shopping around for another one if my old one hadn't broken.

I'm looking to spend between $300 and $500 on my new acoustic guitar and I'd really like to keep it closer to the $300 end. I also want a built in pickup. Is something like this above the "cheapo" range or am I buying in to the same beginner tier that will only last a couple years?

chainsaw cat
Mar 6, 2009

by hoodrow trillson

Not so great of quality, but visible enough I hope! It's a Korg EMX1. Bought it about a month ago, but haven't used it nearly as much as I'd hoped. Software just gets the job done too well. 3:

When I'm feeling more creative I'll use it more often in conjunction with software~

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

gotly posted:

I'm looking to spend between $300 and $500 on my new acoustic guitar and I'd really like to keep it closer to the $300 end. I also want a built in pickup. Is something like this above the "cheapo" range or am I buying in to the same beginner tier that will only last a couple years?

I recommend one of these http://www.waldenguitars.com/D550CE.html. I love Waldens. They sound great and play great. The D550CE sells for like $399 I think, I can check at work tomorrow. Seriously, of all the cheap guitars I've played Waldens have the best value. I don't think the Ibanez will sound as good as the one you had before, at least look for something with a solid top. The solid top really makes a huge difference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gotly posted:

I'm looking for.. acoustic guitar...and according to the guitar repair place, my truss rod rusted through and snapped ( :psyduck: ) and it's irreparable.

Do you live on an island? How long was your guitar submerged for? Sounds like the guitar tech possibly broke your truss rod? I'm just trying to figure out how this could have happened...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

It seems like all of the BBE effects are kind of tough to describe. I really like the sonic stomp, but I can't even really put my finger on what it does. It kind of seems like an overdrive/auto EQing sort of thing.

The Sonic Maximizer isn't what most people think it is, because BBE's marketing is great and stretches the truth a bit. Most of it is a variable state filter which introduces very small delays into the sound along a defined crossover point, with all the phase stuff that brings (which is what changes the sound so notably) - in a crossed over speaker system, that might have the marketed effect of delaying some frequencies slightly but it would have to be tuned to the crossover itself and I don't seem to recall there being any mechanism to do so on the units. You can get a lot of the same effect with a comb filter if I recall, could be wrong, it's been a long time since I read the stuff and I'm not exactly an electronics guy, if you're an engineer you'll get the stuff more fully:

Here's the scoop, here's a schematic of the 482i with some diagraming of the functions, here's a schematic of a reversed Sonic Stomp.

These are linked in that thread but they're the best explanations on the web of what's actually going on in the BBE Maximizers, so I'll link them directly here too, read all three:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3

The reason that the BBE process has remained mysterious is because the actual ICs are patented and proprietary, unavailable to the general public, but it's nothing magical going on and what Bajaman did was to create a daughter board which is a work-alike to the circuit in a non-patent-violating way.

The non-Sonic Stomp BBE Stomp Boxes are all reproductions of other things, as far as I know. The Freq Boost could be a Rangemaster, a Beano, or a Screaming Bird, all classic treble boost designs that fit the description of the product.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 7, 2009